Tim Thomas may take the year off?

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK37 View Post
Trade him July 1st for a draft pick, free up his money for the cap and make a run at Parise or Ryan Suter.
But...
1) How many teams can take a $5m salary on their cap without sending cap back?
2) How many of those teams are in need of a goalie?
3) How amny of those teams are close enough to contending that having a goalie for a year or 2 make sense (or have a goalie close to being ready that they may want to break in slowly)?

I see Ottawa and Florida EXCEPT:

Ottawa can't do anything with Anderson, so he's there, and they may just want to keep Bishop in the NHL as he's young, has upside and played ok for them. Plus do we want Timmy in the division?

That leaves Florida as the only realistic spot where we could just trade him for picks.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Without knowing too much about the situation, it seems to me that he's just sabotaging any kind of trade value he has because he doesn't want to move teams. If a team still trades for him they know the risks.
Essentially giving a giant middle finger to the organization that saved his professional career and gave him the opportunity to earn all the money and accolades he's acquired since.

What a classy guy.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Essentially giving a giant middle finger to the organization that saved his professional career and gave him the opportunity to earn all the money and accolades he's acquired since.

What a classy guy.
Nothing was given. Whatever he got he earned. And what about the fact that this "organization" to whom he delivered the 1st championship in 40 years, may want to dump him as soon as they are able on July 1? Why is it only a player has to show loyalty?

Old
05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
Riiiing

TT: Ya, Pete, hey it's Stanley Cup Winning goalie Tim Thomas.... ya, how ya doin? Ya, I ahhhh, thought I might take next year off....do some commercials, play some golf, do some huntin......sound good?

?
I want to concentrate on my political career.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
323 Krejci 7

IMO, this is all posturing on Tim Thomas' part in order to kill trade talks. With the no trade clause expiring on july 1 maybe this is his last ditch effort to keep himself from being moved?

Old
05-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Why is it only a player has to show loyalty?
I think the organization showed its loyalty by giving him a $20 million dollar contract.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323 Krejci 7 View Post
IMO, this is all posturing on Tim Thomas' part in order to kill trade talks. With the no trade clause expiring on july 1 maybe this is his last ditch effort to keep himself from being moved?
That would be a lot of effort and bad press for a few months in Boston. As soon as the pre-season started and he was on the roster, the trade talks would be back on.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
I think the organization showed its loyalty by giving him a $20 million dollar contract.
OH and I thought that was his salary for playing for them. I didn't realize they were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Break out the tinfoil hats.

Geez, Lidstrom only played 20 years... waaay early retirement.

I think he was expecting Lidstrom to retire near training camp.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Lordstanley
Bandwagonaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
Riiiing

TT: Ya, Pete, hey it's Stanley Cup Winning goalie Tim Thomas.... ya, how ya doin? Ya, I ahhhh, thought I might take next year off....do some commercials, play some golf, do some huntin......sound good?

?
Maybe take a vacation and visit the Prez

Old
05-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I'd love to believe in some dark way the truth is he was sticking it to the team, the city, the children, the cod, and baked ****ing beans.

This guy played out of his mind doing things no Bruins goalie in history ever has done on his way to delivering a Cup in decades. Lifetimes. An entire generation.

****ing back stabbing ungrateful ******** in this town and in the press if you ask me. Ashamed of yourselves you should be.

More likely this is just another ******** story or something is seriously wrong with someone in his life. If the latter is true I wish him all the best.

God. This place sickens me somedays.
Amen.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post
I think he was expecting Lidstrom to retire near training camp.

Yeah, the timing of Lidstrom's retirement is weird. During a SCF? Normally news like that waits until after the SCF at least.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:43 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
This is exactly what I thought as soon as I read this. TT may be becoming somewhat spiteful and arrogant?
Fwiw, I don't think it's out of spite or arrogance. He's earned the right to be proud of what he's done. He's earned the right to retire if he wants to. And he's at a point in his life/career where he doesn't have to play if he doesn't like where he's being sent.

When you consider the possibility that there may be personal issues at play here, it's hard to see it as a selfish thing.

McKenzie's comments about Thomas trying to "chill" the trade talk brings me back to that last line I made about him wanting to have a say in where he goes.

05-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Jax1166

LOL maybe he is pulling a Palin and getting an election gig at Foxnews?

Old
05-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Cappy
belgians do it best

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323 Krejci 7 View Post
agree with this. although i dont think he's trying to kill all trade talks so much as tell CBJ and EDM that he's not interested. if TB came calling i think he wouldn't mind giving it another go with his buddy marty

didnt bother reading the 4 pages before this one sorry if this has been posted already by someone else.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:48 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Maybe TT wants them to be the team to honour that contract until it is done. He's 39, it's not unreasonable.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:52 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
But...
3) How amny of those teams are close enough to contending that having a goalie for a year or 2 make sense (or have a goalie close to being ready that they may want to break in slowly)?

Ottawa can't do anything with Anderson, so he's there, and they may just want to keep Bishop in the NHL as he's young, has upside and played ok for them. Plus do we want Timmy in the division?

That leaves Florida as the only realistic spot where we could just trade him for picks.
Speaking as an Oilers fan, I think Thomas plus one of your surplus forwards moves the team in the right direction.

EDM 1st for Thomas, Krecji, BOS 1st '13? Neither are very big, but a one-two of Nugent-Hopkins and Krejci would supplement Hall, Eberle and Hemsky very well.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
But...

How about a team that just wants to hit the cap floor. If Thomas plays they pay him 3 m and he is a 5m cap hit.

If he doesn't play,they pay him 0 and he is a 5m hit.

If he plays or decides to come back at any time, then the team can trade him at the deadline.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:12 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Speaking as an Oilers fan, I think Thomas plus one of your surplus forwards moves the team in the right direction.

EDM 1st for Thomas, Krecji, BOS 1st '13? Neither are very big, but a one-two of Nugent-Hopkins and Krejci would supplement Hall, Eberle and Hemsky very well.
So Yakupov for 1 year of Thomas, Krecji and a 20-30 pick in 2013....That would be a gamble on Boston's part and it doesn't solve Edmonton's problems for more than a year. Probably less since I doubt TT wants to finish his career with a lottery team.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

This would be the only way for me to not be one of Timmy's biggest fans. Taking a year off? This report had better be a lot of bull-you-know-what!

Old
05-31-2012, 10:19 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post

Done. Seguin with Yakupov and Lucic as his wingers...Nomnomnom.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Lockheed301
Scope Dope

*Yawn*

Old
05-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Fair Warning

Murph's latest article says the sit-out might have something to do with TT30 preparing for the 2014 Winter Olympics.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruin...ade-tim-thomas

Old
05-31-2012, 10:48 PM
jasonbaz77*

Looks like the B's just got a nice chunk of free cap space. Would work out very well in finally getting a star forward.

Wait is this true?:

"If Thomas were to take a sabbatical for the 2012-13 season, he would be leaving his team in a cap crunch. Thomas is heading into the final season of a contract that will pay him $3 million but will carry a $5 million cap hit for the Bruins. With word now out that Thomas is pondering this break, his trade value will almost certainly decrease.

One option for the Bruins to avoid that $5 million cap hit might be to entice a team to take on his salary for 2012-13 by including a conditional draft pick in the trade. If Thomas sat out next season but came back in the 2013-14 season when he could be an unrestricted free agent and signed with the team that acquired him from Boston, that team would have to return the pick to the Bruins. If he didn't sign, the team would keep the pick.

The Bruins told ESPNBoston.com they had no comment on Thursday night."

So if he voluntarily sits out the Bruins still have to pay him and take the cap hit? That is completely ridiculous. If a player leaves their team hanging it should be treated as an injury. You can't have players able to hold teams hostage like that. Horrible if true.

Closed Thread