HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Building a Cup Winner

Old
06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
LW: McDonald, Perron, Steen, Schwartz, Sobotka, Grachev, Villieux, Tesink, Jaskin
C: Backes, Berglund, McRae, Lehtera*
RW: Oshie, Tarasenko, Stewart, D'Agostini, Crombeen, Reaves, Rattie, Wannstrom, Beach

RD: Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Polak, Hakanpaa
LD: (Jackman), Cole, Russell, Fairchild, Edmundson, Ponich

G: Elliott/Halak, Allen, Karpowich, Lundstrom, Binnington

Trade Stewart for the 16th, draft Girgensons and Laughton (both centers), sign Chris Kelly to bridge the 3C gap, sign Nichol to bridge the 4C gap, sign Garrison.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:53 PM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
I don't see them trading Stewart for a draft pick at all. When we acquired him Armstrong pointed out the need for another power forward and that need didn't just disappear. Most good teams do carry 2. We don't trade Stewart unless we're getting somebody back who can replace his game IMO.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 08:55 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I don't see them trading Stewart for a draft pick at all. When we acquired him Armstrong pointed out the need for another power forward and that need didn't just disappear. Most good teams do carry 2. We don't trade Stewart unless we're getting somebody back who can replace his game IMO.
There's just one big problem here. Chris Stewart is not a power forward. He has a power forward body, sure...but he is nowhere near a power forward right now. Getting rid of Stewart doesn't increase our need for a power forward nor decrease it.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:07 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Chris Stewart is not a power forward. Power forwards win the occasional board battle. I agree that the fantasy Chris Stewart is a critical component of the Blues, but the actual Chris Stewart is highly expendable.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Adam Henrique, Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler, Patrice Bergeron, Patrick Sharp, Danny Briere, Evgeni Malkin, Valtteri Filppula. All the second line centers on those teams. Where would you rank Berglund among those players? What about Backes?
Behind Malkin, Richards, and Kesler, obviously... but pretty much on a par with the rest.

Briere, Bergeron and Sharp might be slightly ahead of Berglund, but not Backes... and Berglund is every bit as good as Filppula or Henrique, IMO.

Quote:
I totally agree with Celtic Note about needing more top-tier players. That's why I've been pushing for a #1 center. I personally think its more important that a top defenseman for with Pietrangelo. While it would be nice to get a #2 who can cover if Pietrangleo goes down with injury, a top line player (preferably a center) is more important in my book. Pietrangelo is good enough to make his partner look good. The number two slot can be filled with a 2-3 year, $2.5-3.5 M guy until one of Cole/Ponich/Edmundson takes it. But the Blues don't have a top-tier center anywhere in the organization.
I'd tend to agree with this assessment.

The Blues came within inches of setting the modern record for fewest goals allowed with the defense they have now, so I'm not 100% convinced that any major changes are required on defense.

I know Colaiacovo is everyone's favorite whipping boy on this board, but the defense with Colaiacovo as a part of it was -- arguably -- the best in the NHL this year, certainly in the top three or four.

Bring everyone back, including Colaiacovo and Jackman, give Cole a little more playing time, let Fairchild have a little longer cup of coffee with the team in 2012-13, maybe give Ponich a cup o' Joe with the big team if he starts to show he was worth the 48th overall pick, and the defense is fine.

Edmundson and Hakanpaa will be coming in 2013-14 (probably coming to P-Town on ATO's in spring 2013, when their seasons in the 'Dub and Finland, respectively, are over), and both are capable of playing their way onto the big club when training camp opens in September 2013.

Shoot, Teemu Eronen had a decent year for Jokerit this season; if he duplicates that again this year, bring him over and let him audition alongside Pietrangelo. That won't be an overly physical d-pairing, but they will damn sure have a transition game, puck-moving abilities, and plenty of offensive upside.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If, on the other hand, a true #1 center -- someone like David Krejci, for example -- was available in exchange for the Blues' first-round pick this year and a roster winger, I'd have to very seriously consider making that move.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
LW: McDonald, Perron, Steen, Schwartz, Sobotka, Grachev, Villieux, Tesink, Jaskin
C: Backes, Berglund, McRae, Lehtera*
RW: Oshie, Tarasenko, Stewart, D'Agostini, Crombeen, Reaves, Rattie, Wannstrom, Beach

RD: Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Polak, Hakanpaa
LD: (Jackman), Cole, Russell, Fairchild, Edmundson, Ponich

G: Elliott/Halak, Allen, Karpowich, Lundstrom, Binnington

Trade Stewart for the 16th, draft Girgensons and Laughton (both centers), sign Chris Kelly to bridge the 3C gap, sign Nichol to bridge the 4C gap, sign Garrison.
I'm liking the cut of your jib here, Nines...

Three things:

1. It's "Veilleux."

2. You forgot Teemu Eronen on "D."

3. I honestly think Anthony Nigro has as much potential as Lehtera to develop into a useful third- or fourth-line center. Nigro made very big strides as a second-year player this year, and avoided the "sophomore slump" entirely. In my mind, he was easily Peoria's most improved player when compared to his 2010-11 season.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:51 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
There's just one big problem here. Chris Stewart is not a power forward. He has a power forward body, sure...but he is nowhere near a power forward right now. Getting rid of Stewart doesn't increase our need for a power forward nor decrease it.
I should have seen this argument coming. Yeah I get that he doesn't play like Backes like we all want, but he still plays a fairly physical game, is a big body that can do to the front of the net, has great hands when he's hot, and is one of the best on the team at dropping the gloves. There would be a hole in our lineup if he left, as nobody else can really play that way. I get that he had a down year but the guy still could be a 25-30 goal scorer while still providing toughness and really nobody else on the roster has that combination. Giving up on Stewart, trading him for a draft pick and doing nothing to replace him would be dumb and luckily I don't see Armstrong doing that. But don't let me get in the way of another Stewart bashing.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:06 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Trading Stewart for a mid-first round pick, especially for this year's draft, is not exactly ideal, but not terrible. If you can get a solid, young, 2-way player, no matter the position, then I say do it. Dumping Stewart to pick up a middle of the road prospect would not be my first choice. I still think there are teams out there that are willing to slightly overlook this season and offer a decent return for Stewart. If we can get a #4 Dman for Stewart straight up with the potential to be a #2 Dman, I'd be good with it. Another possibility is packaging him with someone else, likely Cole or Rattie, and get an even greater return. Stewart, Cole/Rattie, and our first should be enough to return a very good Dman. I REALLY don't want to deal Rattie, but if he is a key asset in returning a partner for Petro, I'd have no problem with it.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:48 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
I should have seen this argument coming. Yeah I get that he doesn't play like Backes like we all want, but he still plays a fairly physical game, is a big body that can do to the front of the net, has great hands when he's hot, and is one of the best on the team at dropping the gloves. There would be a hole in our lineup if he left, as nobody else can really play that way. I get that he had a down year but the guy still could be a 25-30 goal scorer while still providing toughness and really nobody else on the roster has that combination. Giving up on Stewart, trading him for a draft pick and doing nothing to replace him would be dumb and luckily I don't see Armstrong doing that. But don't let me get in the way of another Stewart bashing.
Doing nothing to replace him? Huh? Tarasenko will easily get 15-15-30 or better even in a rookie year.

Like Backes? The guy isn't even as physical as little Vladdy Sobotka. Look, just like everyone else I had high hopes for Chris Stewart this year. Chris Stewart's a Blue, and I love the Blues, and Chris Stewart being good is a good thing if he's on the team I love. So there is no agenda to bash him. What happened was the season occurred and I watched it carefully. Simply noticed what was going on. When Chris Stewart barely engages in board battles and rarely wins the 50/50 pucks, you cannot call him a power forward. Period.

There are serious practical issues here. First is too many wingers under contract. Second is what does the contract landscape look like going forward. Let's say Stewart signs his QO for 1yr, 3.25M. We don't have to face him taking the team to arbitration which he is eligible to do this summer. Let's just say we catch a break and he signs it. Automatically – immediately – it sets up the exact same scenario next summer. It'll cost 3.25M to qualify him for one year, after which he is a UFA and walks for nothing. Now either he sucked horribly again in which case the Blues completely failed by keeping him since now he can't get you anywhere near a first round value OR he had a big year. Good for the Blues but now what $$ do you have to commit to him to keep him? Now you have even LESS $$ for upgrading the center position. Now you have even less $$ for new deals for Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Berglund, McDonald (if applicable), Russell and Cole.

We could really do without the fictions about his physical play. What, is the suggestion that Blues fans hate/cannot recognize physical play? That is, Chris Stewart's this physical guy and we just can't appreciate it? Laughable. The team was highly physical this year – it was one of the pleasures of the season, watching a team compete so strongly for the puck, knocking bodies around, storming to the front of the net and winning competitive fights for possession. You'd have to be crazy to think if Chris Stewart had done any of that also that we'd have randomly ignored it. Here is a guy whose first impression last season was very strong. He was already on our good side. We wanted him to be good. If he'd been hitting but the pucks weren't going in, you'd have found this season's message boards riddled with commentary about how he was really trying and it was just a matter of time. You can't find that because it never happened. HE IS NOT A PHYSICAL POWER FORWARD. Man, wouldn't it be great if he were? Boy, wouldn't that just be awesome? I think so. But it isn't, because he isn't. Consider for one moment what if what I'm saying is accurate, that he isn't the power forward you say he is. If he actually isn't very physical, doesn't win battles (having the occasional fight – that has nothing to do with being a power forward), then what are you left with in your everything's fine, nothing to see here take on the guy? Here is a guy coming off two consecutive years of 28 goals who Hitchcock played less than Vladimir Sobotka. Sobotka's only aspect is physical play/competitiveness. Hitchcock sure as hell isn't giving Sobotka all those minutes because he's expected to score. If Stewart were a power forward who wasn't scoring but was stlll using his physical play, there is simply NO WAY in hell Hitchcock is giving the smaller guy who has far less chance of producing on the scoresheet more ice time than the bigger guy who's just as physical and who has a vastly higher offensive expectation. It's absurd.

Can Stewart be this great player going forward? Will he suddenly develop the hockey sense to know how to play in this system? I have serious doubts. But you know what? It's sports. Surprising things sometimes happen and if this one did it's good news for the Blues and I'd cheer for it. That still doesn't answer what happens if he does have a big year being only one more year from UFA and who else that affects on the roster. Above all else, you have to look at it from an asset management perspective. If he's still in single digit goals on New Year's Day he will be perceived as a total bust. You'd be talking about a one-dimensional player who's on pace for fewer than 20 goals in his one good dimension. Only now your only option is a scraps return. This is a scenario greater than 50% likelihood if they keep him.

Physical Play
Board & Corner play - Battles for loose pucks, willing to pay the price. (Nope)
Physical presence - Size and strength are used as an asset; tough to play against;
punishes opponents every chance. (Nope)
Conditioning - Overall physical conditioning, build, strength, stamina and durability,
seldom misses games. (Team cited his conditioning as an issue)
Hitting - Takes the body, effectively separates opposition from the puck, willing to take
a hit to make a play. (Nope)
Fighting - Willing to fight and is capable. (Yep)
Overall – Nope.

Last edited by PocketNines: 06-06-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old
06-06-2012, 05:56 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

As far as the value of a mid-first round pick, Stewart himself was the 18th pick in an underwhelming draft. 2006 had some quality players but by and large it is not well respected relative to some other recent drafts. Secondly, it is frequently the case that the way a draft class is perceived at or near the time of the draft turns out to be totally opposite to its real value. This draft is still perceived as one of the strongest defenseman drafts ever (not quite 2008 quality but stil high on the list). So getting a mid first round pick is maintaining solid value in an asset.

First choice with Stewart is to package him in a different deal for a bigger, more pressing need (top-two center or a #2 lefty defenseman). This idea is a strong fallback option in case that can't happen because those trades are much harder to find.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:47 PM
BlueDream

Lol PocketNines. Not going to bother going through all that. Yes Stewart is still a bit of a power forward and if you think a guy has to dominate at all those things then there must not be many PF's in this league. Stewart is a big body who goes to the front of the net, has good hands, fights, and DOES still hit. He doesn't hit like Sobotka or Backes but he usually picks up 100 hits a year. Tarasenko is not the same player. The Blues aren't trading him for a draft pick so I won't waste my time with you.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Quote:
Lol PocketNines. Not going to bother going through all that. Yes Stewart is still a bit of a power forward and if you think a guy has to dominate at all those things then there must not be many PF's in this league. Stewart is a big body who goes to the front of the net, has good hands, fights, and DOES still hit. He doesn't hit like Sobotka or Backes but he usually picks up 100 hits a year. Tarasenko is not the same player. The Blues aren't trading him for a draft pick so I won't waste my time with you.
Gotta agree with you. Give Stewart another year. His late season surge when he came over from Colorado was no fluke, IMO.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:30 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Laughable.

Old
06-06-2012, 09:40 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Laughable.
Good one.

Let's see if Stewart and Berglund are traded for Bobby Ryan or if Stewart is traded for a draft pick. I'm guessing no on both. Your ideas are brilliant though!

Old
06-06-2012, 10:54 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Good one.

Let's see if Stewart and Berglund are traded for Bobby Ryan or if Stewart is traded for a draft pick. I'm guessing no on both. Your ideas are brilliant though!
No but really Stewart is a power forward and plays physical because he is I'm serial you guys. None of you appreciate physical displays you all overlooked it when he was doing it all last season.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:31 PM
BlueDream

I don't care what you call him. "He's a powerforward! No he's not! Yeah he is! No not even close!" That's a stupid argument, because aside from a few given players (Backes, Iginla) there's no definite powerforwards really. Why does it matter what the "title" is? When Stewart is hot, really nobody else on the team has his combination of size, goal-scoring ability, and willingness to drop the gloves. That is a pretty important player to have, and judging by the LA series, I'm going to go ahead and guess that Armstrong realizes that and isn't just going to trade Stewart away for a draft pick and make a Russian rookie step in and fill in for him by himself. Thanks for that idea P9 but nope.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:09 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
...[snipped for relevance]

Can Stewart be this great player going forward? Will he suddenly develop the hockey sense to know how to play in this system? I have serious doubts. But you know what? It's sports. Surprising things sometimes happen and if this one did it's good news for the Blues and I'd cheer for it. That still doesn't answer what happens if he does have a big year being only one more year from UFA and who else that affects on the roster. Above all else, you have to look at it from an asset management perspective. If he's still in single digit goals on New Year's Day he will be perceived as a total bust. You'd be talking about a one-dimensional player who's on pace for fewer than 20 goals in his one good dimension. Only now your only option is a scraps return. This is a scenario greater than 50% likelihood if they keep him.

... [snipped for relevance]
That is pure conjecture. Kyle Turris, who never scored as many point as Stewart's career high in goals before this season and coming off a contract dispute/hold-out, was traded for Rundblad and a 2nd. You have no way of knowing that a slow start/second season of not fitting the system would drive Stewart's value down to "scraps" level, nor the likely hood of that happening.

Tarasenko could push Stewart enough that he gets off to a really fast start and we trade Stewart and get back a better player plus something else, la Stempniak for Steen and Colaiacovo.

If Stewart was as bad a fit here as some suggest, why did Hitchcock play him all year? [He was scratched one game in the second round while the Blues were getting swept, and played in the next game.] Sure, he got demoted as he got outplayed, but if Stewart really lacked effort and interest, why would Hitchcock keep running him out there?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:20 AM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
I don't care what you call him. "He's a powerforward! No he's not! Yeah he is! No not even close!" That's a stupid argument, because aside from a few given players (Backes, Iginla) there's no definite powerforwards really. Why does it matter what the "title" is? When Stewart is hot, really nobody else on the team has his combination of size, goal-scoring ability, and willingness to drop the gloves. That is a pretty important player to have, and judging by the LA series, I'm going to go ahead and guess that Armstrong realizes that and isn't just going to trade Stewart away for a draft pick and make a Russian rookie step in and fill in for him by himself. Thanks for that idea P9 but nope.
But the crux of the issue is whether Stewart can be successful in a system that stresses defensive awareness and defensive play as strongly as the Blues' system does. He showed little growth after an entire season in the Blues' system. Will an entire off-season of practice and learning help? Perhaps. But what is he suddenly going to learn this off-season that he couldn't have learned after nearly an entire season in that system?

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:16 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
That is pure conjecture. Kyle Turris, who never scored as many point as Stewart's career high in goals before this season and coming off a contract dispute/hold-out, was traded for Rundblad and a 2nd. You have no way of knowing that a slow start/second season of not fitting the system would drive Stewart's value down to "scraps" level, nor the likely hood of that happening.

Tarasenko could push Stewart enough that he gets off to a really fast start and we trade Stewart and get back a better player plus something else, la Stempniak for Steen and Colaiacovo.

If Stewart was as bad a fit here as some suggest, why did Hitchcock play him all year? [He was scratched one game in the second round while the Blues were getting swept, and played in the next game.] Sure, he got demoted as he got outplayed, but if Stewart really lacked effort and interest, why would Hitchcock keep running him out there?
Why did he keep him in the lineup? It was only at the very end when the Blues got healthy. They had McDonald out, they had Steen out, they had D'Agostini out. Schwartz wasn't an option til the very end either. Tarasenko wasn't there. So compared with this upcoming season the winger depth was much less. And even WITH all that Stewart was removed from the PP and Vladimir Sobotka overtook him for minutes as Stewart's usage dropped ... and dropped ... and dropped until he was eventually scratched. He was also scratched not once as you say but in two different games, one each series. Remember how he was scratched and then he said he'd come back with a vengeance and didn't and got scratched again in the next series? How many times did Stewart promise we'd see his "A game" only to turn in the same game we'd previously seen. (That's for those who think some hypotetical rebound is a function of will.)

Stewart could get off to a fast start. I hope this happens so he ups his trade value and they can strike while they have a moment. He is the classic inconsistent, streaky player. But if he starts slow now what do you do with him? For one thing it's hard to justify playing him. As things stand now you'd have McDonald, Perron, Oshie, Tarasenko, Steen and D'Agostini under contract. The first five would definitely be slotted ahead of a struggling Stewart and D'Agostini should play over a struggling Stewart. And he's not going to be on the 4th line because that line has a specific job (be physical forecheckers, provide energy) and Stewart's game isn't that, BlueDream's pretendland notwithstanding.

Yes, someone COULD randomly overpay for a Stewart who gets 3.25M and is into his second consecutive struggling season but you're really trying to tell me with a straight face that I'm way off base with pure speculation suggesting his value goes lower than it is right now if he has another bad start? You really think he could get a mid-first 2013 pick if he starts badly next year?

Old
06-07-2012, 10:21 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Also "willingness to drop the gloves" is the most overrated aspect of hockey players bar none. Fights have no impact on the game other than to entertain fans. I'm not someone who thinks they should necessarily ban fighting (though the brain studies of enforcers tells me it's a problem – is our entertainment really worth all these early suicides?) but I'm saying it doesn't really deter liberties taken on our players. Did King not board Pietrangelo because he was worried about Chris Stewart being willing to drop the gloves? Come on. By the way D'Agostini handled himself pretty well in a few fights he got into on the back half of the 10-11 schedule; it's not like the lineup is soft and won't fight if challenged.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:11 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Fights do have their place in hockey. Fights are mostly to entertain the fans, but that can have an outcome on the game. If the crowd gets going, and gets the players going, it can have a monumental impact on a game. A lot of people don't believe in momentum within hockey games, but I certainly do. The crowd being behind you and pushing you has a lot to do with home ice advantage. Line matching is probably the greatest advantage of home ice, but the crowd is a close second. If a crowd is sitting back and doing nothing for a full period, then someone comes out with a huge hit, or a fight, and the crowd is energized and it sparks a goal, the place erupts. Not arguing we need to keep Stewart because he doesn't mind fighting, just defending fighting's place in the game.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Fights do have their place in hockey. Fights are mostly to entertain the fans, but that can have an outcome on the game. If the crowd gets going, and gets the players going, it can have a monumental impact on a game. A lot of people don't believe in momentum within hockey games, but I certainly do. The crowd being behind you and pushing you has a lot to do with home ice advantage. Line matching is probably the greatest advantage of home ice, but the crowd is a close second. If a crowd is sitting back and doing nothing for a full period, then someone comes out with a huge hit, or a fight, and the crowd is energized and it sparks a goal, the place erupts. Not arguing we need to keep Stewart because he doesn't mind fighting, just defending fighting's place in the game.
I agree that fighting can ocassionally shift momentum but it frequently shifts it the wrong way. Enough to the point where it nets out neutrally. If the crowd is doing nothing usually that means the team is losing. Sending a guy out there to pick a fight just as often sparks the other team. And if it's one of the meaningless staged fights between designated enforcers then it's basically worthless. People often mistakenly correlate w/o causation later changes in a game to a fight when who really knows. It just seems like a handy thing to pick.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:18 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Why did he keep him in the lineup? It was only at the very end when the Blues got healthy. They had McDonald out, they had Steen out, they had D'Agostini out. Schwartz wasn't an option til the very end either. Tarasenko wasn't there. So compared with this upcoming season the winger depth was much less. And even WITH all that Stewart was removed from the PP and Vladimir Sobotka overtook him for minutes as Stewart's usage dropped ... and dropped ... and dropped until he was eventually scratched. He was also scratched not once as you say but in two different games, one each series. Remember how he was scratched and then he said he'd come back with a vengeance and didn't and got scratched again in the next series? How many times did Stewart promise we'd see his "A game" only to turn in the same game we'd previously seen. (That's for those who think some hypotetical rebound is a function of will.)

Stewart could get off to a fast start. I hope this happens so he ups his trade value and they can strike while they have a moment. He is the classic inconsistent, streaky player. But if he starts slow now what do you do with him? For one thing it's hard to justify playing him. As things stand now you'd have McDonald, Perron, Oshie, Tarasenko, Steen and D'Agostini under contract. The first five would definitely be slotted ahead of a struggling Stewart and D'Agostini should play over a struggling Stewart. And he's not going to be on the 4th line because that line has a specific job (be physical forecheckers, provide energy) and Stewart's game isn't that, BlueDream's pretendland notwithstanding.

Yes, someone COULD randomly overpay for a Stewart who gets 3.25M and is into his second consecutive struggling season but you're really trying to tell me with a straight face that I'm way off base with pure speculation suggesting his value goes lower than it is right now if he has another bad start? You really think he could get a mid-first 2013 pick if he starts badly next year?
I forgot about the other playoff game. My mistake.

Do you think that the Blues will maintain perfect health in the forward line-up this coming season? When the Blues finally got healthy at the end of last season, it was the first time in two years.

I think he could easily get a mid-2013 first even with a poor start next season. I don't think that you are off base saying that his value could go lower. I just think that even with a poor start, Stewart would still be able to get more than 'scraps.' [I guess it all kinda depends on what you define scraps as. To me, scraps are 3rd round and lower, and marginal prospects.] I think that there are enough struggling teams out there that would be willing to take a chance on a guy that is under 25 and has two 25+ goal seasons under his belt.

As you mentioned, Steen and McDonald were injured for much of the season. Those are two of our better left wingers. As the Blues don't use their centers as primary puck distributors, I can't help but think that affected Stewart's production. Adding another playmaker like Schwartz could help as well.

Do I think that Stewart can be better? Yes. Do I think Stewart will be better? Yes. Is it a risk to keep him around another year? Yes. Is it a risk to trade him now while his value is lower than when we acquired him? Yes.

I understand that we currently have an overabundance of wingers. I get why Stewart is one of the more likely trade candidates. But I just don't think that the Blues need to dump Stewart at all costs. If a good deal comes along, the Blues should pull the trigger.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:37 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I come at it from the standpoint (and reality) that a mid-first round pick is really good value. It's not dumping him for nothing. David Jones, who scored 27 and then 20 goals, today just got rewarded with 4 x 4M going into his UFA years. Nobody's really taking on the $$ issue even though I keep pointing out how real it is. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away. I certainly haven't seen anyone propose signing Stewart to a dime more than the minimum QO, and if that happens they're taking a risk of next year at this time having a worse decision (either because his value is lower than now or because they can't afford him given all the folks up for new deals next year).

Trading Stewart straight up for a mid first-round pick is my third favorite option out of six. Keeping him is fifth. (They're listed in the thread about next year in a convo with Easton.)

I don't follow your question about assuming perfect health. They've added two additional highly skilled wingers to the equation on top of a lineup that will start off healthy barring preseason injury. There's plenty of depth. As we sit here today, they pretty much have to start Schwartz in the minors or convert a winger to #3C. I'm pretty confident they'll add a center but even if they don't they have skill and depth up and down the wings without Stewart.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:54 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
I come at it from the standpoint (and reality) that a mid-first round pick is really good value. It's not dumping him for nothing. David Jones, who scored 27 and then 20 goals, today just got rewarded with 4 x 4M going into his UFA years. Nobody's really taking on the $$ issue even though I keep pointing out how real it is. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away. I certainly haven't seen anyone propose signing Stewart to a dime more than the minimum QO, and if that happens they're taking a risk of next year at this time having a worse decision (either because his value is lower than now or because they can't afford him given all the folks up for new deals next year).

Trading Stewart straight up for a mid first-round pick is my third favorite option out of six. Keeping him is fifth. (They're listed in the thread about next year in a convo with Easton.)

I don't follow your question about assuming perfect health. They've added two additional highly skilled wingers to the equation on top of a lineup that will start off healthy barring preseason injury. There's plenty of depth. As we sit here today, they pretty much have to start Schwartz in the minors or convert a winger to #3C. I'm pretty confident they'll add a center but even if they don't they have skill and depth up and down the wings without Stewart.
If David Jones is worth 4 x $4 M, I don't understand why you are so hesitant about paying Stewart less than that on a one year contract.

Yes, the Blues added Schwartz and Tarasenko, but I am going to guess that they get worked into the line-up as opposed to thrown to the wolves. If we trade a winger, and then a couple of wingers go down during the season, then what?

I think that Stewart could still fetch a mid-first round pick in 2013 during next season even with a slow start. Which is why unless your first couple of options come along, I'm okay with holding onto Stewart for next season.