HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2012 Draft Thread Version 13.0: More Morgan Rielly Really

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 01:28 PM
mydnyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
I'm hoping Ludvig Bystrom, Michael Matheson, Olli Maatta, or Esa Lindell are avaliable at #34.
Maatta is top 15 on most lists now, may even break into the top 10. ...doubt he'll be thee at 34

Old
06-01-2012, 01:31 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
he does a good job at messing up with our 1st rounders. There were better players at were skipped because of his judgements.
for example??

Old
06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
he does a good job at messing up with our 1st rounders. There were better players at were skipped because of his judgements.
That's happens to every head scout often.

He's done a pretty good job with things.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Apparently Tom Wilson is putting on quite the show at the combine.

Matt Nichol
Room still buzzing about @Tom_Wilso Prob most NHL ready body so far - like @tylerseguin92 or @gabelandeskog92 from physical standpoint

If he can find the offensive side to his game he could be a monster power forward in the NHL. I could see his regular season production scaring some teams off, but his midget stats and his playoff stats from this season indicate he can produce points.

Fingers crossed Burke finds a way to get this kid, has Lucic written all over him.

Old
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
for example??
Tyler Biggs for Joe Morrow who got picked just one spot below us. Looks like a Duncan Keith two way, top pair defender. Don't need to bring up Tlusty. Schenn pick looks like a mistake. Should of just stayed where we are and took a player, who moved down. Kadri, I guess it would be too soon to say anything about. I'll take Zach Phillips, or Vladislav Namestnikov, Ty Rattie over Percy.

Old
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
I'm starting to get disenchanted with Dave Morrison, what's his record like with finding NHL players in the draft?
I don't think you can truly judge him yet. He started 2006 and nearly everyone we took that year has played in the NHL.

All the drafts he's done with Burke are way too early in there evolution too accurately judge on him on his drafting IMO.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
That's happens to every head scout often.

He's done a pretty good job with things.
We haven't had much success with our 1st rounders, that the problem.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
I'm starting to get disenchanted with Dave Morrison, what's his record like with finding NHL players in the draft?
His first draft:

Players that have played or will play in the NHL:

Tlusty
Kulemin
Reimer
Holzer
Stalberg
Komarov

his 2nd draft
No first rounder
no second rounder

Frattin
Gunnarsson

3rd draft
Schenn
Hayes

09 Draft may be a good one. Will wait to after this season to truly gauge if it was a success.

Further he didn't take Filatov so that was a success, a lot teams may have.

Morrison only has had 2 top 10 picks, jury is out on them, but any other team at #5 would have taken Schenn that year, in 09 After Brayden Schenn you could have gone any of a number of ways. This is the year Nazem will either prove himself or not in the top 6 fwd category.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Tyler Biggs for Joe Morrow who got picked just one spot below us. Looks like a Duncan Keith two way, top pair defender. Don't need to bring up Tlusty. Schenn pick looks like a mistake. Should of just stayed where we are and took a player, who moved down. Kadri, I guess it would be too soon to say anything about. I'll take Zach Phillips, or Vladislav Namestnikov, Ty Rattie over Percy.
man oh man....

Let them play at least one game before you judge them as bad picks less than 12 months after they've been drafted.

It should be mentioned that the three players mentioned instead of Percy all play on powerhouse CHL teams, Percy doesn't(anymore).

Old
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
man oh man....

Let them play at least one game before you judge them as bad picks less than 12 months after they've been drafted.

It should be mentioned that the three players mentioned instead of Percy all play on powerhouse CHL teams, Percy doesn't(anymore).
Biggs is going to be one of our most valuable players in a few years, poolies or fantasy leagues are not a true reflection to actual real hockey. This is a kid we are going to need to wear down the oppositions Defence, he will also give our smaller guys a big boost in the courage dept.

Old
Sundinisagod
the best

Personal order of preference, I'll include Yakupov because this year's first overall seems to be more in play than previous years.

1) Yakupov
2) Forsberg
3) Galchenyuk
4) Grigorenko
5) Dumba
6) Murray
7) Reinhart
8) Reilly

I'd be fine with any of the above, might be overlooking Faksa here...he might fill a bigger need than a defenseman, even if he projects as a 2nd line center...too bad it wasn't his 2nd OHL season, would have a better read on his offensive numbers.

Old
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
We haven't had much success with our 1st rounders, that the problem.
Disagree. He's been hear for 6 years.

You can't really count Percy or Biggs since that was last year.

Kadri, contrary to public perception, is developing very well in the AHL and will be an NHLer shortly.

Schenn has been an NHLer since he was drafted and is still very young. We grabbed an effective NHL dman with our pick. This is a successful pick. It's easy to look in hindsight and say "this player or that player". If we grabbed a solid NHLer we were successful.

Tlusty wasn't the best pick but he's still an NHLer at the end of the day.

It's quite a bit harder to hit on first round picks every year. Detroit has an abysmal record with first round picks and yet they are commonly seen as one of teh best teams at drafting.

Morrison's been fine.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
His first draft:

Players that have played or will play in the NHL:

Tlusty
Kulemin
Reimer
Holzer
Stalberg
Komarov

his 2nd draft
No first rounder
no second rounder

Frattin
Gunnarsson

3rd draft
Schenn
Hayes

09 Draft may be a good one. Will wait to after this season to truly gauge if it was a success.

Further he didn't take Filatov so that was a success, a lot teams may have.

Morrison only has had 2 top 10 picks, jury is out on them, but any other team at #5 would have taken Schenn that year, in 09 After Brayden Schenn you could have gone any of a number of ways. This is the year Nazem will either prove himself or not in the top 6 fwd category.

I get the impression that Morrison doesn't swing for the fences, but he makes sure to get on base...he's made a lot of nice selections, hasn't hit a home run yet...but this year he has the oppurtunity to do so...too bad for him he didn't have those two firsts that went to Boston to work with...he's doing a fine job imho, I'm very confident he'll make the right pick at 5.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Kulemon

I think we want to just draft atleast one star talent. People see Giroux, Perry, Getzlaf, Karlsson, and other late first rounders turning into stars and people wonder why we can't be the team that drafts that guy.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Biggs is going to be one of our most valuable players in a few years, poolies or fantasy leagues are not a true reflection to actual real hockey. This is a kid we are going to need to wear down the oppositions Defence, he will also give our smaller guys a big boost in the courage dept.

Any thoughts how Tom Wilson compares to our boy Biggs? Loved the Biggs pick, would love to add Wilson to our prospect pool.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I think we want to just draft atleast one star talent. People see Giroux, Perry, Getzlaf, Karlsson, and other late first rounders turning into stars and people wonder why we can't be the team that drafts that guy.

Trading away first rounders hasn't helped our odds.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Four1 Lead
Virtanen at 8.

Order of preference:

1) Yakupov
2) Galchenyuk
3) Forsberg
4) Murray
5) Grigorenko
6) Teravainen
7) Reilly
8) Dumba

Old
06-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
For me (not including yuk):

1) Galchenyuk
2) Forsberg
3) Grigorenko
4) Murray
5) Reilly

Old
06-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
I wanted Biggs and Grimaldi last year, wasn't thrilled with Percy nor was I dissapointed with him.

But after seeing Percy in the AHL playoffs off of a long layoff with a concussion and his poise playing 3 pro games off the bat, I can see why Burke liked him. Think these 2 will be more than fine.

Both are good character guys which doesn't hurt either.

To add to 07 with no first or second rd picks, He didn't have a first in 2010. The only firsts worth debating are Kadri and Schenn. Tlusty sounds like a Fergie pick to me, but I can can't confirm this.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Any thoughts how Tom Wilson compares to our boy Biggs? Loved the Biggs pick, would love to add Wilson to our prospect pool.
I'll have to ask, the standard answer is he is a Lucic type player. From what I have seen from clips only, he seems to have more offensive upside than Tyler.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:05 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

GM's make the first choice. Any credit or crap for who we select is on JFJ, Fletcher and Burkes shoulders as well.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Yea I would have to agree that our first round picks have been fairly mediocre.

I actually like the percy pick, and Im fine with kadri (although neither are outstanding considering where they were taken), but Im not happy with Tlusty, Biggs and Schenn.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Maatta will more than likley be gone before then. The other 3 are possible.

2 other defensemen you could eye with that pick are Calle Andersson and Damon Severson.
Aside from Calle Andersson I have not heard of anyone.

06-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

From what it seems Morrisson has gotten better and better as the years progressed, I have full faith in him.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:19 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
how many of those you named have played in the NHL?

You think Maatta is a 2nd rounder, so, not sure i would trust your evaluation skills.

Tlusty was actually ranked higher than he was picked, and was the consensus pick at the time. ...picking anyone other than Tlusty would have been the mistake. ...good you did not bring up Tlusty, because that would not help make your point, but, show how little you know about the former drafts.

As an FYI Dave Morrison was promoted the same week the draft took place, so all the scouting for that Draft and the draft list was not his work primarily it was Trapp's.

I've been watching the drafts for 25+ years ...have you been alive that long yet?

Schenn looks like a mistake in your opinion ...glad we didnt go with my opinion, because I would have taken Filatov. ...that was also Fletcher's move and descision, not Dave Morrison's.

Closed Thread