HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part X

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 10:22 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And again....since you know the names....who are you talking about? Who are we missing? The REAL good ones. Not Renny...Not McTavish. Not Keenan. Who? See, I already mentioned 1 name nobody talks about in Mike Sullivan. Who else? Or do I have to do the job for the ones who keeps saying we are limiting our pool without giving a single INTERESTING name. Besides, my clouded judgement made me put Jim Benning as a GM candidate for our team.

And the thing is....it's not about me. Do you realize that we had an owner and a GM who had to say PUBLICLY that they were SORRY to have hired an unilingual coach if it offended anyone? Any chance you remember that? Is that my fault? But the market is what it is. Some will say that since we keep hiring francos, that it didn't make us a better team and it should be a reason enough to stop doing it. Well okay.....yet I could respond that this past management keeps bringing the number of franco players down as well with....not a lot of results either. But hey we had 1 conference final, it has to be because there wasn't a lot of francos in the team....

Tough to analyse what Therrien can do now since he has been away from the game. So if the guy is still a finalist, you can't come to the conclusion that he's not going to have the job since he has been away for so long....what's the point in having 3 interviews with him...didn't you know already that he was out of the league for that long? Make this as a reason to not interview him period if that's important.

Yeah, people WILL appreciate Crawford and his effort later. Once they are past the dissapointment to not have had Roy......or Hartley......or Therrien.....once they realize that the team will not have more francos on the team and all.....while in the meantime, medias will be all over them for not responding to the "fans". Yet, fans will love Crawford....if we wins. But what if we don't? And then answer this putting Roy or Hartley as coach. What if we don't win? Well my belief is that people would be more patient. Mind you, not people in here. On HF, most people would be so hard on Roy like there's no tomorrow. While most people in here will give the benefit of the doubt to Crawford. And then, the question is....how's HF any different than the medias or fans we keep talking about here? Oh 'cause most HF people are saying that they don't mind the language, they just want good players? Well, I,m sorry, but most people who say that, whenever we bring french players are saying "Well....why are you bringing him? 'Cause he speaks french?"

For everybody who followed, Therrien is NOT a favorite of mine. Especially when you compare him to Roy or Hartley. I do not want Therrien. But something more I don't want is a freak show that the Crawford hiring will create.
I agree with you, my friend. I'll protect your azz here.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:22 PM
habaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Panthers? Who cares about the Panthers? Take the same lineup, make them play in Montreal and they win squat. Montreal is a different beast. It's easy to win at home when your opponents think first and foremost of the beach and the media pressure is nonexistent to the point where the owner has to make some fracas on Twitter.

And I don't make win predictions. Saying that the Habs won't win the Cup next season is not a prediction, it's practically a given. Come on, man. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

This franchise is a need of a Stanley Cup win, not a simple post-season appearance like the rats in Florida. So, before getting ourselves in the Cup contention mood, let's please the fans. Because, frankly, the fans haven't been pleased a lot over the last 15 years, wouldn't you say?
Alrighty then

Old
06-02-2012, 10:26 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Well then you tell those fans to **** off because that is some serious xenophobic reaction to sports.
Maybe so...I don't think it's xenophobic. I think it's overly protective because of its history as a francophone community in North America. Doesn't take a genius to see that it's a VERY distinct society compared to the rest of North America.

Didn't say it was right to do so. Just stated the obvious here. A very sensitive community when it comes to social democraty and language. Very different than elsewhere IN THE WORLD probably. Stems from many hundred years of abuse and control by 2nd parties. It's still a pretty young linguistic community, that really came to its own in the 70's. Before that, the community was run by Ottawa and the clergy. Give the community time to mature. It will change.

Or will it?

Old
06-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Takashi

Roy out of the race?
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/341285.html

Old
06-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Ok, smartass, what are the lottery numbers?
I didn't infer any absolutist conclusion. I spelled out a list of conditions that could make us winners next year.

and you are wrong about talent and depth. What we were missing is strong leadership behind the bench and a little luck with injuries. You keep looking at them as a 15th place team, yet that Habs 15th place is at odds with previous 15th place team, as they were all closer to -10 and lower whereas the Habs were almost ,500 in win%.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Maybe so...I don't think it's xenophobic. I think it's overly protective because of its history as a francophone community in North America. Doesn't take a genius to see that it's a VERY distinct society compared to the rest of North America.

Didn't say it was right to do so. Just stated the obvious here. A very sensitive community when it comes to social democraty and language. Very different than elsewhere IN THE WORLD probably. Stems from many hundred years of abuse and control by 2nd parties. It's still a pretty young linguistic community, that really came to its own in the 70's. Before that, the community was run by Ottawa and the clergy. Give the community time to mature. It will change.

Or will it?
No how about this.

The Montreal Canadiens play in a market that is majority Francophone. For this reason, the coach should be able to speak with the teams fans and media.

If the "fans" (and I don't agree, I think it's RDS and archaic media figures pushing this agenda) are more patient with a Quebecois coach in contrast with a non-Québécois, then that underlines a greater sadness for our society where we can't look past the time of colonization and still feel threatened by an Anglophone. This has nothing to do with hockey, and when people try to justify it by claiming its what the fans want, it just goes to highlight what has always been an undertone of xenophobia in our sports media.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

At this point, I think Crawford has the job.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
No direct quote from Roy. RDS is desperate for ratings. They're the Eklund of the official sports media. Anything for a hit.

And it's Gaston... Brother of Michel, the one guy besides Hartley that they keep trying to force feed us.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:34 PM
EveryDay

With Roy out of the race it leave Crawford and Therrien.....

Old
06-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well Hartley was named coach of Canadiens by RDS analysts, so I doubt they know anything. Bergevin has been quiet.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
With Roy out of the race it leave Crawford and Therrien.....
Don't jump to conclusion based on what RDS says....

This :

Quote:
Well Hartley was named coach of Canadiens by RDS analysts, so I doubt they know anything. Bergevin has been quiet.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:39 PM
deandebean

Quote:
No how about this.

The Montreal Canadiens play in a market that is majority Francophone. For this reason, the coach should be able to speak with the teams fans and media.

If the "fans" (and I don't agree, I think it's RDS and archaic media figures pushing this agenda) are more patient with a Quebecois coach in contrast with a non-Québécois, then that underlines a greater sadness for our society where we can't look past the time of colonization and still feel threatened by an Anglophone. This has nothing to do with hockey, and when people try to justify it by claiming its what the fans want, it just goes to highlight what has always been an undertone of xenophobia in our sports media.
I agree with what you write, because it goes back to the immaturity of the market. But who am I to say that it's wrong? Maybe the market is right? Who knows?

We should ask Timmah Thomas. He knows everything.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:40 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No direct quote from Roy. RDS is desperate for ratings. They're the Eklund of the official sports media. Anything for a hit.

And it's Gaston... Brother of Michel, the one guy besides Hartley that they keep trying to force feed us.
It's not his brother.

I used to interview Gaston when I was a young pup working for a media outlet close to Montreal. He was coaching a midget AA team. He was good material for a reporter.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
deandebean

Why is Roy sending his message through Therrien? I can't understand that one. I mean, Therrien ain't exactly Bob McKenzie.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
No how about this.

They are pathetically self-serving. More Francos, means more ratings. It's the bottom line, why should anyone be surprised in this day and age.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:

Gaston is Michel's brother?

Old
06-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
It's not his brother.

I used to interview Gaston when I was a young pup working for a media outlet close to Montreal. He was coaching a midget AA team. He was good material for a reporter.
I always assumed since they kinda look alike and both have speech impediments. Pretty sure I heard some media type say "your brother"..

You sure they ain't ?

Old
06-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
It's not his brother.

I didn't like Gaston Therrien that much and especially for his "work" during draft day. Totaly unprofessionnal, and borderline stupid. But then, he added to it with his comments as a Midget AAA president when the Esther-Blondon College Phenix lost a 4-goal lead at the Telus Cup saying that it was inexcusable, he was made and all saying that they lost because of lack of discipline and that it was totally infuriating etc.....Geez, maybe so...but we are freakin talking about kids here....

Old
06-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Gaston is Michel's brother?
Well, I always thought so... Can't say I'm right or wrong. Most people think they are, no?

No matter though, it's still RDS pushing someone, it's the same

Old
06-02-2012, 10:47 PM
deandebean

Who's the guy on the panel, called Jean? He's a logical man.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

RDS disgusts me, they have an agenda and they're trying to push an idea down the fans' throat. On the last Antichambre(Oh god why did I watch that show) They said that the MARKET asks for a franco coach and the organization HAS to please the fans.

Now it's the fans who want the franco coach, not them.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:48 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Or will it?
So having Dudley, Melanby, Timmins and a guy like bergevin who just spent the last 30 years of his life in the US is not enough ANGLO for you ?

Having 20 on 23 players not being francos or Quebec born is NOR ENOUGH ANGLOS for you ?

You want a 100% anglo team... Go root for the Montreal Maroons then or any other NHL team ! You haver 29 other teams to choose from.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:49 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
RDS disgusts me, they have an agenda and they're trying to push an idea down the fans' throat. On the last Antichambre(Oh god why did I watch that show) They said that the MARKET asks for a franco coach and the organization HAS to please the fans.

so true!!!!! now choose Crawford!!!!!

Old
06-02-2012, 10:49 PM
deandebean

Quote:
I always assumed since they kinda look alike and both have speech impediments. Pretty sure I heard some media type say "your brother"..

You sure they ain't ?
Actually, I think you're right, Ozy!!!

Old
06-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post

Check the surveys. And if you are going to reply that "well, it's the medias that dictates the answers" well the market is made of bunch of sheeps. Yet....that is the market. Any surveys will never have a unilingual coach or GM on top of any list. Even if Nill would have been available. Even if Babcock would have been as well.

Closed Thread