HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part X

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2012, 12:39 AM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post

Also stop crying about language issue
Isn't that our line?

Old
06-05-2012, 12:40 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUnknown View Post
Plekanec wasn't particularly hustling past December.
He was basically used in heavy-duty tough minutes with third-line grinders. He had to stay high in the zone so the club wouldn't get burned by the opposition's top lines.

They were competing. They were not competing very smartly and their efforts therefore often went to waste, but at no point did they give up.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:40 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
U know subtitles exist now. So for the fans at home, they can see what he's saying in French. The only people truly affected are the media who must communicate with him. We're pleasing the media in the end. The media. The ****ing media. So terrible
or maybe you can all learn french and stop complaining at the fact that a large portion of the HABS fan base doesnt speak or understand english and feels better with a coach that can speak the same language they do... i know time is change and it shouldn't be a reason to hire a coach but it is, so get with it or go away and never come back

Old
06-05-2012, 12:41 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
When Bergevin hired Dudley, it should perhaps have fired more warning bells than it did.
Dudley is a great hockey mind and pro talent evaluator. Great hire imo.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:42 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I know a lot of people are upset but honestly guys... just please give him a ****ing chance.
This. Bergevin isn't a dumbass. He chose the best guy available. On another note, I don't know why but for some reason I think guys like Eller and will shine under Therrien. Just a feeling. If anything, I think the fact that he's older, wiser and got the chance to reflect on his career will only make him a better coach.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:43 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
good, go cheer for somebody else
As a 2nd team? Sure. I never said I need a new 1st team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Playing with discipline and emotion is doable, just ask the LA Kings. Therrien is good with young players and we have a bunch of them coming up, he did a good job with Malkin,Staal and Crosby in Pittsburgh.

We have good vets also, they all work their ***** off , but one of the main issue with this group was a lack of unity on the ice, something that Therrien is known for conveying. Now Therrien is just a piece of the puzzle, we don't know the assistants, the moves that Bergevin will make to upgrade our roster, specially the defence. But one thing that I like about Therrien is his ability to bring the troops together and instill a sense of belonging into each member of the team.

Now, as much as I like Therrien, I'm still aware that he wasn't the best available candidate out there, but we have to deal with it. One thing is for sure, the Montreal canadiens are not one coach away from the playoffs and much less from a championship.
You know, I see eye to eye with you here. At least in some capacity. I think Therrien is a good guy and will provide unity. I have no doubt about that. I just feel he's the wrong type of coach at this point in time. The vets are falling out of their prime and the need for a hard nosed coach isn't really essential. Perhaps, I can see it as him pushing the new core into unity(subban, max and price). I mean if it's about potentially bringing unity on the NEXT generation of habs regulars. The big 3 with leblanc, palushaj, gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi and others knocking on the door, then sure, I can accept that. I can accept building a new culture for the next phase, however, I don't want anyone trying to sell me a story that Therrien is the best coach for the CURRENT team. He isn't, that's all. Again, if this is building a new culture and the habs get younger and make a perrenial playoff team and this all about culture and competing, then im down...just dont try and sell me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Anyone think he will keep Cunney?
No.

Old
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
or maybe you can all learn french and stop complaining at the fact that a large portion of the HABS fan base doesnt speak or understand english and feels better with a coach that can speak the same language they do... i know time is change and it shouldn't be a reason to hire a coach but it is, so get with it or go away and never come back
thats an awesome story .

Old
MathMan

Quote:
Dudley is a great hockey mind and pro talent evaluator.
That's his reputation, but what I've read about him had me question it.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Blame Subban
Galchenyuk

You guys are unbelievable. The announcement isn't even official and you guys are already at Therrien and Bergevin's throats. He wasn't my first choice but damn, give them a chance already. Wow.

''The honeymoon's over'' ''Terrible move'' Really? I guess you guys can see into the future. Care to tell me what are the next lotto numbers?

Old
06-05-2012, 12:45 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
I could be wrong, but aren't there teams in Basque Spain that hired international coaches? I mean, you'd have to be kidding yourself if you think that francophone culture in quebec is anywhere near as important or endangered as theirs, or if you think they aren't 10X more fanatic about soccer than we are about hockey.

Old
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
This. Bergevin isn't a dumbass. He chose the best guy available. On another note, I don't know why but for some reason I think guys like Eller and will shine under Therrien. Just a feeling. If anything, I think the fact that he's older, wiser and got the chance to reflect on his career will only make him a better coach.
no Gainey praised Gauthier when hired....now most wouldn't have called Gainey "dumb" right?

MB if he did just hire MT, just pulled off a Gauthier move.
What does this say to fans who just been tramatized these last few years??

The nightmare never ends .What is that BonJovi lyric?

It's ALL THE SAME , ONLY THE NAMES HAVE CHANGED...Everyday It seems we're wastin' away.

yes

Old
True Tick and Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
I trust Bergevin with this coaching choice. Hartleys ultimatum towards Habs didnt work("i need to know within 24h ours my future!!"), so he left to Flames. so ******* him.

Also stop crying about language issue. Available coaches werent so good even if english speaking candidates were in mix. Thats a fact.

Welcome back Michel! Prove to backstabbing fan base that they are wrong.
i like your style, blood elf

Old
06-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Blame Subban
Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
no Gainey praised Gauthier when hired....now most woukd havew caled Gainey "dumb" right?

MB if he did ust hire MT, just pulled off a Gauthier move.
What does thisa say to fans who just been tramatized this last few years??

The night mare never ends ,.
Ridiculous post.

Give them a chance for crying out loud.

Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

This news would drop my off season optimism down a few notches for sure. Please be wrong. I know the list of coaches is very shallow but why Therrien?

I know this doesn't prove much in terms of how bad he is but he managed to have a stacked Penguins team constantly outshot playoff and regular season. In 08/09, under Therrien's coaching the cup winning Pens were again outshot on average. However, right after Bylsma took over, the same team started to constantly outshoot opponents and went on to win the cup.

The more I look into it, the more I feel worse so I'll wait until it's 100%.

Old
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
When Bergevin hired Dudley, it should perhaps have fired more warning bells than it did.
Gotta disagree with you here. I like Dudley.

Quote:
Plekanec wasn't particularly hustling past December. Sure the DD, Cole and Pac line was awesome, but the rest of the team wasn't competing. Gorges did his best, but he's a 4th D put in a role he shouldn't be.

Montreal was the easiest team to play from all the games I watch (mostly western conference games). They were always 2nd on the puck, they didn't play their position correctly in the defensive zone, they were doing stick checks when they should have played the body. The team was downright awful.
A lot of guys were said to be less than 100%, Plekanec included. I don't doubt Plekanec's compete level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I think this is rather short-sighted. For every successful rookie coach, there is an experienced one who is just as good. There are 30 teams in the league, you can only play merry-go-round for so long.
But you gotta admit there is a trend?

Quote:
Personal attacks. I shouldn't answer but I will. I do speak french, I'm billingual. Time has changed and it shouldn't be a reason to hire a coach but I should get with it? Think about what you said. You admit the ideology is wrong but tell me I should live in the past.

Also, I never said I don't want a billingual coach. I just don't see the need to hire one based on that. I actually would've rather a rookie french coach like Giroux over Therrien. Also, keep running after my posts, I really don't care. The only thing you brought to the discussion is that I should leave the habs fanbase. Here's my answer: no. There's nothing you say that justifies telling me that because it's not relevant.

Old
SuperUnknown

Quote:
That's his reputation, but what I've read about him had me question it.
Everybody makes mistakes, but Dudley has a better batting average than most hockey executives and he is absolutely passioned for the sport.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Playing with discipline and emotion is doable, just ask the LA Kings.
No, no, you didn't answer his question: why does a team that featured the second best penalty killing, and gave up the 5th fewest powerplays last year, have to worry about discipline? The problem is not playing a fast/hard/intense enough game to draw penalties, and earn our skilled players more time to produce with the man advantage, imo (tied for 8th fewest powerplays).

And with the start of a new regime, the core we have, and the foundation of the organization that's in place, I don't exactly get why a re-tread "turnaround coach" - whose most recent coaching experience (from 3 years ago...) was failing to motivate and direct/focus a team full of young talent - is the way to go here.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
not quite yoda

Well if it is going to be Therien...

Carbo was a good assistant coach under Therien the 1st time around, I hope he is back. Interesting to note that Andre Savard was the one who gave Therien his first go in the NHL. When Savard left MTL he was hired by Therien to be his assistant coach. I believe Savard is a pro scout with PGH rigt now, we may see him come back as an asst coach now too.

Old
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I could be wrong, but aren't there teams in Basque Spain that hired international coaches? I mean, you'd have to be kidding yourself if you think that francophone culture in quebec is anywhere near as important or endangered as theirs, or if you think they aren't 10X more fanatic about soccer than we are about hockey.
I doubt Basque Spain has international caliber coaches, while Quebec, being hockey nut nation, has international caliber hockey minds.

Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
As a 2nd team? Sure. I never said I need a new 1st team.

You know, I see eye to eye with you here. At least in some capacity. I think Therrien is a good guy and will provide unity. I have no doubt about that. I just feel he's the wrong type of coach at this point in time. The vets are falling out of their prime and the need for a hard nosed coach isn't really essential. Perhaps, I can see it as him pushing the new core into unity(subban, max and price). I mean if it's about potentially bringing unity on the NEXT generation of habs regulars. The big 3 with leblanc, palushaj, gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi and others knocking on the door, then sure, I can accept that. I can accept building a new culture for the next phase, however, I don't want anyone trying to sell me a story that Therrien is the best coach for the CURRENT team. He isn't, that's all. Again, if this is building a new culture and the habs get younger and make a perrenial playoff team and this all about culture and competing, then im down...just dont try and sell me something else.
It's not only about unity, what I was trying to say in my post is that with youngsters coming up,Therrien does seem like a good fit in that specific situation. Some posters here would focus on one negative aspect so I just focused on a positive one.

And I think you're completely underestimating the capacity of a coach to adapt to his team. Look at Hitchcock in St.Louis, everyone thought he'd be a massive fail because St-Louis is a young team, but they were one of the toughest teams to beat during the regular season. Michel Therrien has been in a final and makes the playoffs regularly, so in the competitive aspect, Michel Therrien is far from being a Marc Crawford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
No, no, you didn't answer his question: why does a team that featured the second best penalty killing, and gave up the 5th fewest powerplays last year, have to worry about discipline? The problem is not playing a fast/hard/intense enough game to draw penalties, and earn our skilled players more time to produce with the man advantage, imo (tied for 8th fewest powerplays).

And with the start of a new regime, the core we have, and the foundation of the organization that's in place, I don't exactly get why a re-tread "turnaround coach" - whose most recent coaching experience (from 3 years ago...) was failing to motivate and direct/focus a team full of young talent - is the way to go here.
Who said that Therrien was chosen because of discipline issues? And the only time when Therrien should be classified as a turnaround coach for is if the habs go through the same thing Therrien went through in PA. When Bylsma was hired, everyone thought HE was the "turnaround coach", but then he won the stanley cup.

And if you go ask the pens fans', most of them felt bad for Therrien, he wasn't the one to blame for their mediocre half year in 2009.

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 06-05-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame Subban View Post
Ridiculous post.

Give them a chance for crying out loud.
Like come on .

Go to the Pens board ,ask about a second chance in Pittsburgh for Mr Therrien...

Get back to me ,please.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:53 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Gotta disagree with you here. I like Dudley.
I did too originally, then I read pieces like these:
http://www.fiveholefanatics.ca/2010/...ien-trade.html
http://theleafsnation.com/2012/5/8/dudley-do-wrong

as well as his assessment of the Leafs' prospect pool that went in the same direciton, and I started to get worried.

Old
True Tick and Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I sense a lot of fail in this post. First of all, Bilbao Athletic might hire international coaches, but they are known for only fielding players from the Basque region. A huge, self-imposed handicap? How's that for nationalism in sports.

Second: Basque culture is more "important" or "endangered" than French culture in Quebec? I don't know how you would quantify that, or what you're even trying to say here.

Third: you think Europeans are "10x" more fanatical about soccer than we are about hockey? To me, it's pretty clear that the two are equivalent. Hockey is our religion, and soccer is theirs.

Thank you.

Old
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I appreciate your kind comments,will look back and see who was right and wrong.

I'm waiting for a let's give Regan Houle his second chance thread.....he can prove he has become better..

some Habs fans .

Who's saying you might not be right? i like to emphasize on the MIGHT, can we wait for the freakin season to start and at least wait 30 games to call on this?

It could be a wrong choice, but i'm not paid millions and don't have the qualification to know 100% is this is a good move or not... and neither do you...

so can we just keep our pants on and wait.... giving the timing and conditions Therrien might be the better choice or the one more fitting with Bergevin...

Everyone was saying kudos for the hiring of Dudley even though he was fired at least a half dozen time in his career

kudos to Mellanby who, as up now, has not proven a damn thing as a hockey administrator

But Bergevin selects Therrien, people don't trust him, wrong move, honeymoon over, i sometimes wonder who's worst, the fans who wants absolutely a french speaking coach or the fans that totally doesn't

Old
06-05-2012, 12:54 AM

Lawl @ the overreaction.

Closed Thread