HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk Part 15

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
I love how Burke is still living off his reputation from being able to get both Sedins. What has he done since then to suggest he can repeat it?

Old
06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I love how Burke is still living off his reputation from being able to get both Sedins. What has he done since then to suggest he can repeat it?
Uh, all GM's do this.. they remind you every year of that 'one' deal they made that is supposed to overlook the terrible moves in between.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The Habs can pick a player with a lot more natural talent at 32. The team lacks natural ability up front. They'd be better off waiting until later to pick a Mallet or Moroz.
We need to be careful though. People can mistake natural talent with flash and dash. Which is what I believe a guy like Athanasiou has and I don't want him. Scared that he's a target though. A whole lot of speed, played with Tinordi so we did get an extensive look so it,s either they love him or hate him. Nothing in between. Personnally, I wasn't fool by his natural skills that, in my opinion, will not translate into becoming a good enough hockey player.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Uh, all GM's do this.. they remind you every year of that 'one' deal they made that is supposed to overlook the terrible moves in between.
Gauthier didn't.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
what pieces? i don't think they have much TBH.
Schenn, Gardiner, Ashton, Colborne, next year's first, Kadri. Would the leafs want to deal the 5th overall+ a combination of those players to move up to 1st ? Yes, if that combination is too much they'll pass.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:51 PM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I wonder how many leafs fans actually believe they're going to end up with Nail and Galchenyuk?
Nobody does. At least nobody who's sane. This all comes from some agent saying getting both is a possibility. It shouldn't even be considered news. Well of course it's a "possibility". Everything is a possibility. Doesn't mean it's likely. I'm sure Phaneuf, Gardiner, Schenn, Kadri, 5th overall, 35th overall, 2013 1st would be enough to get the top 2 picks. Burke's house would be ashes though by the time Bettman is done reading though the list of players.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
At 32 (Devils are forfeiting their selection). I want one of the guys who fell out of the first round. I am always a big fan of taking 1st round talents. You can argue Wilson is a 1st round consideration but Tyler Biggs was taken in the 1st round.. he doesn't look all that impressive..
Well Lucic was picked in the 3rd round but I'm pretty sure if u had to do the draft again he would probably be a 1rst rounder. But you just don't really know what you're getting with Wilson. There's a reason why he's projected to go in the top 20. Also , how and why are the Devils forfeiting their pick?

Old
06-07-2012, 06:08 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazygene View Post
Well Lucic was picked in the 3rd round but I'm pretty sure if u had to do the draft again he would probably be a 1rst rounder. But you just don't really know what you're getting with Wilson. There's a reason why he's projected to go in the top 20. Also , how and why are the Devils forfeiting their pick?
Circumvention of the CBA regarding Kovalchuk's contract.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazygene View Post
lucic went in the 2nd...49th or 50th i believe

Old
06-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
lucic went in the 2nd...49th or 50th i believe
Whichever pick we used to take Maxwell, the next one was Lucic.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:17 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Funny because Maxwell was one of the BPA, even thought of as a possible 1st rounder. Lucic was a big reach, he had pretty poor offensive numbers. It shows you that drafting is not an exact science. The Bruins are great at it though, some very good 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
what a damn shame..

Old
06-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Edmonton - F
Columbus - F
Montreal - F
Islanders - D
Toronto - F
Ducks - F
Minnesota - F
Carolina - F
Winnipeg - D
Tampa - D
If this or something similar is true, wouldn't it be much better asset management to trade down a few spots, pick up assets, and a higher ranked d? Defense sees more ice time, you get a better prospect at the position, and stockpile hot young defense which can be flipped to fill holes later (think Neal for Goligowski).

Old
06-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Funny because Maxwell was one of the BPA, even thought of as a possible 1st rounder. Lucic was a big reach, he had pretty poor offensive numbers. It shows you that drafting is not an exact science. The Bruins are great at it though, some very good 2nd and 3rd rounders.
I wouldn't say they are great at drafting. They built 75% of their cup winner on trades and UFA's.

They have some very good later picks(Marchand Lucic Krejci Versteeg Bergeron) but they have some major 1st round busts...Toivonen Jonsson Lashoff Hamill(#8 overall ahead of Couture Ellerby Pacioretty McDonagh Sutter Shattenkirk Backlund).

Overall I would put them at average.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Btw does anyone know if Andrew Conboy will ever make the big club? I mean the guy is hilarious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz9Y-AJvetA

Old
06-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
After much deliberation in my head I would probably go for more need than BPA this year BUT not to overlook good hockey player overall.

Here are the key attributes i'm looking for
- Good character kid
- Physical presence (not especially dishing out hits but mainly go in high traffic areas)
- Hardwork (willingness to play in all situation and excell at it)
- Good hockey senses

Ok what are our needs?:

Top line center
Big powerforward (top 6 preferably)
Goaltender
Right Handed defenseman
Good grinder/fighter

So who fit the bill + that might be considered BPA in each rounds we have picks?

3rd overall:
Captain obvious for our 1st pick (Forsberg/Galchenyuk) Galchenyuk for our top line center, Forsberg for our Big Powerforward (top 6). I put slightly more value into Galchenyuk because it's harder to find great center.

32nd overall: (I expect NJD to waive their pick)
Ok this is where it become harder to fully know who are going to be available. I expect to see at least one of the top 3 goaltenders available who are the cream of the crop in a deep and good crop of goaltending prospect this year (Subban, Vasilevski, Dansk). If we decide to go with powerforwards there might be some good names too (Thomas Wilson, Nicolas Kerdiles, Stefan Matteau, Henrik Samuelsson)

50th overall :
Ok now it depends if we took a goaltender or a powerforward. If we picked a goaltender earlier then a PF become quite a need and to add to the name collected earlier we can add : Chris Calnan, Brian Hart, Colton Sissons, Jarrod Maidens. (If we picked a PF earlier and any of the top 3 goaltenders is available you pick him for sure, highly doubful it happen). As for the right-handed defenseman there are some good players too (Jordan Schmaltz, Damon Severson, Ville Pokka, Dalton Thrower, Dylan Blujus)

63rd overall:
We of course add the name mentioned earlier with the same pattern (If we selected a top line center, PF and RD, then we can look at goaltenders. If we selected a top line center, goaltender, powerforward, then a RD would be a need.) Other names to add : Branden Troock, Emil Lundberg, Nick Ebert, Calle Andersson, etc.)

93rd overall:
We just go BPA !

153rd overall:
We select one of the top grinder (Alexandre Mallet, Cedrick Paquette,etc.)

Using that scenario here would be my ideal draft:

1. Alex Galchenyuk
2A. Oscar Dansk
2B. Henrik Samuelsson
3. Damon Severson
4. Dillon Fournier
6. Alexandre Mallet

Old
06-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think a very early 3rd for moving from 32nd to 25th is a more than reasonable price.
Not for a NHL team thought. To get Tinordi, we game the 27th overall pick and a second rounder for the 22nd pick and a fourth rounder. That was to move up a few spots. In order to move up in the first round, we'll need to give up our two seconds.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:29 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I wouldn't say they are great at drafting. They built 75% of their cup winner on trades and UFA's.

They have some very good later picks(Marchand Lucic Krejci Versteeg Bergeron) but they have some major 1st round busts...Toivonen Jonsson Lashoff Hamill(#8 overall ahead of Couture Ellerby Pacioretty McDonagh Sutter Shattenkirk Backlund).

Overall I would put them at average.
1st rounders not so hot, I agree. But Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand and Lucic were the core up front and they were all 2nd/3rd rounders. Plus they did a great job scouting for Thomas.

Maybe they are just really good at player development.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
If this or something similar is true, wouldn't it be much better asset management to trade down a few spots, pick up assets, and a higher ranked d? Defense sees more ice time, you get a better prospect at the position, and stockpile hot young defense which can be flipped to fill holes later (think Neal for Goligowski).
I can assure you that more than one defenceman will be taken before the 9th pick...

Old
06-07-2012, 07:47 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
“In Montreal, we’ll be doing a test called Function Movement Screaning. It’s a test that allows us to measure the mobility of a player’s joints by seeing if they’re able to complete certain movements,” described Allard, of what awaits the prospects in Montreal later this June. “One of its uses is that it allows us to detect potential risks for injuries or existing injuries that we weren’t able to detect with some of the more surface tests. It all gives us more information that we can then put to use.”
And no one thought of using this test on Markov after his first operation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We need to be careful though. People can mistake natural talent with flash and dash. Which is what I believe a guy like Athanasiou has and I don't want him. Scared that he's a target though. A whole lot of speed, played with Tinordi so we did get an extensive look so it,s either they love him or hate him. Nothing in between. Personnally, I wasn't fool by his natural skills that, in my opinion, will not translate into becoming a good enough hockey player.
He reminds me a lot of Esposito when he was in juniors.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 06-07-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: merge
Old
06-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
And no one thought of using this test on Markov after his first operation?
It's not what this test is about.

It's a routine test to know your general tendency to get injuried. I got one when i did my medical test for a physical job in a big company. I'm sure they did much more specific testing with Markov.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Unfortunately, Wilson will be gone long before #33. When the Kings win, it will be two rugged teams in a row winning the Cup and others will be copying them. I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes him in the top 15....especially given the lack of flash after the first 9 or 10 picks this year.
It's hard to say. I would think there's still memories of O'Marra and Gillies, and perhaps even of Kilger and Gratton from further back. But that might only prove that the potential for a top 6 power forward is just too much of a temptation on draft day. A top 6 F who can hit, fight and score is very rare. In fact, there aren't many 3rd liners like that either, going by a 12 to 18 goal output. Where would one draft a Chris Neil?

In any event, if he's still around, then take him. But I agree that he'll probably be taken earlier.

Sidenote: it's interesting to reflect on draft distortions. As you point out, there is always the catching-up-to-to-the-SC-winner-model at work. But you have to wonder how much the KHL factor has skewed picks in recent years. As in, if there was no KHL factor this year, how much more likely is it that Wilson (say) would be available at #32 (Jersey will forfeit their pick)?

Old
06-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Gauthier didn't.
Well apparently we can thank Gauthier for the Mark Streit pick. He was really high on him according to Timmins.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Well apparently we can thank Gauthier for the Mark Streit pick. He was really high on him according to Timmins.
I wonder how much Gauthier had to do with the FA Diaz and Berger signings. Maybe we can bring him back as our Swiss scout.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I wonder how much Gauthier had to do with the FA Diaz and Berger signings. Maybe we can bring him back as our Swiss scout.
Diaz was sold on the habs by Metro iirc and Berger was signed out of the OHL.

Streit was also scouted by Oleg Petrov, no ?

Gsuthier was really high on Eller and when dealing with St. Louis basically said Eller had to be a part of it, or no deal.

Closed Thread