HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk Part 15

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 10:43 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I think he already has better shooting skills. His wrist shot is just ridiculous for his age, and has about as good a one timer as he'll need in the show.
Agree with this.. So its either a potentially better Henrik Sedin or a poors man Malkin (Galchenyuk) the debate is open

Old
06-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Seriously, Mikhail Grigorenko has great taste in clothing: Lacoste polo at the Combine and going to Edmonton, he arrived to the airport in a Burberry polo shirt…damn Russian with style.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I agree that Grigorenko upside is unreal mainly because of his hockey sense that is off the chart.

The only problem I have with him are 2 things he would have to improve to become an elite player in the NHL.
1- He would have to become a better skater (I know he is a good technical skater) but his explosion and foot speed are lacking, it's workable but it's a major concern if you want to become elite at the next level.
2- He will have to learn to use his body more, I see Kopitar in the playoff and he is not even as skilled as Grigorenko but he competes for every inches available on the ice. If he can do that he will become a top 3 player in the NHL.

But those are major concerns and are not changing overnight, he would need a guy that challenge him off the ice and he will have to accept to go through that hard and tough process.

I see Galchenyuk as a more complete as of right now type of guy and I think the habs are more ready to draft a guy with his attitude and skill level over a gamble like Grigorenko. They might regret it in 5 years but I don't think Galchenyuk will bust but I could be wrong.
I bet if we look back at Ryan Getzlaf during his draft year, he was criticized for lacking explosion and foot speed…didn't keep him form becoming a dominant player in the NHL(except for this past year..disappointment). And Getzlaf as a prospect his not even close of what Grigorenko is projected to be.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:05 PM
NotProkofievian

Getzlaf also has things that Grigorenko didn't have, to be 100% fair: namely, Getzlaf can be one mean son of a *****.

However, so far as raw talent, and intelligence, absolutely, Grigorenko is in an elite category.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:24 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Even though it would be a reach, I'd be very happy if we pick Terevainen will with our third pick. Offensively, he's something special...
He never specifically said Montreal, but I doubt Edmonton or Columbus take him, NYI probably want a defenceman and I can't see Toronto taking a smaller Finn. After 5th is close to where Teravainen is currently ranked, so that would not be "much higher" as Bob had said. That leaves Montreal. We've heard Timmins likes him and we've heard Leroux mention his name too. Add to the fact that "where there's smoke, there's fire" is very prominent with this new regime with all of their new hires...maybe there's a strong chance Teravainen is picked by the Habs?

Old
06-07-2012, 11:26 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He never specifically said Montreal, but I doubt Edmonton or Columbus take him, NYI probably want a defenceman and I can't see Toronto taking a smaller Finn. After 5th is close to where Teravainen is currently ranked, so that would not be "much higher" as Bob had said. That leaves Montreal. We've heard Timmins likes him and we've heard Leroux mention his name too. Add to the fact that "where there's smoke, there's fire" is very prominent with this new regime with all of their new hires...maybe there's a strong chance Teravainen is picked by the Habs?
If Gally is gone by #3, I really wouldn't be surprised. Media will flip when we take an undersized Finn!

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
06-07-2012, 11:27 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If Gally is gone by #3, I really wouldn't be surprised. Media will flip when we take an undersized Finn!
At least Finns cannot, as a rule, be lazy. Imagine if we picked a lanky 40 goal scoring russian?

Old
06-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
At least Finns cannot, as a rule, be lazy. Imagine if we picked a lanky 40 goal scoring russian?
I'd be happy with the lanky 40 goal scoring russian that has been scrutinized so badly.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:34 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I'd be happy with the lanky 40 goal scoring russian that has been scrutinized so badly.
And talent? You don't win games with talent!

...you don't win games with ta-LENT!, you don't win games with ta-LENT!

Old
06-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Et le But

All the players we are talking about have high end talent.

It's not like it's Grigorenko vs Wilson here.

But yeah, a better Henrik Sedin is a good comparison for upside.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:52 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
All the players we are talking about have high end talent.

It's not like it's Grigorenko vs Wilson here.

But yeah, a better Henrik Sedin is a good comparison for upside.
I'm actually really stoked about any of Galchenyuk, Forsberg, or Grigorenko(Yakupov isn't happening).

Old
06-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Et le But

Quote:
I'm actually really stoked about any of Galchenyuk, Forsberg, or Grigorenko(Yakupov isn't happening).
As long as they are allowed to develop and not expected to carry the franchise.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
And talent? You don't win games with talent!

...you don't win games with ta-LENT!, you don't win games with ta-LENT!
You can't judge a young player's character based on youtube videos, games on tv, live games and by scouts opinions. Only the coach, the teammates, and his entourage knows him best. I think that it was overblown and the media didn't help. The thing is, you say we can' win without talent..but Grigo has much more to offer than his talent. Just because of a slower 2nd half of the season and the playoffs(As I recall, all Quebec players were outplayed by Halifax..not only him), doesn't mean he's not perseverant and hard working kid. Try to adapt to a total new lifestyle on another continent and without knowing any word in english. Yakupov had Gally's family to welcome him..not Grigo. Remember him having a translator at his arrival in Qc? Anyhow, Couturier's offensive upside is much lower than Grigo..but him too was too criticized and ended up 8th overall..playing in the NHL at 18.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:07 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
As long as they are allowed to develop and not expected to carry the franchise.
Agreed.

Send 'em right back to junior/Allsvenskan.

Grigorenko, especially, needs this time to train.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Agreed.

Send 'em right back to junior/Allsvenskan.

Grigorenko, especially, needs this time to train.
Really, unless we draft Yakupov/Murray, I don't want to see them in the NHL next year besides as a trial.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:12 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
You can't judge a young player's character based on youtube videos, games on tv, live games and by scouts opinions. Only the coach, the teammates, and his entourage knows him best. I think that it was overblown and the media didn't help. The thing is, you say we can' win without talent..but Grigo has much more to offer than his talent. Just because of a slower 2nd half of the season and the playoffs(As I recall, all Quebec players were outplayed by Halifax..not only him), doesn't mean he's not perseverant and hard working kid. Try to adapt to a total new lifestyle on another continent and without knowing any word in english. Yakupov had Gally's family to welcome him..not Grigo. Remember him having a translator at his arrival in Qc? Anyhow, Couturier's offensive upside is much lower than Grigo..but him too was too criticized and ended up 8th overall..playing in the NHL at 18.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that Winnipeg would like to have their Scheifele derp back.

What Grigorenko did this year was very impressive.

People are put off by Grigorenko: he'll never be a crash n' bang type of player. He just won't be. But I don't think he has to be in order to be an effective player. Grigorenko will succeed because of his smarts, and talent. Add to it that I'm actually pretty convinced that he's probably the most grounded of all the candidates except maybe Forsberg, and I'm convinced he'll make the NHL.

...he may even end up with the best career out of any of 'em.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:13 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Really, unless we draft Yakupov/Murray, I don't want to see them in the NHL next year besides as a trial.
I think it'd be hilarious to watch Grigorenko playing with Gallagher in preseason/early season. I think they'd really compliment each other well.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Yeah I'm pretty sure that Winnipeg would like to have their Scheifele derp back.

What Grigorenko did this year was very impressive.

People are put off by Grigorenko: he'll never be a crash n' bang type of player. He just won't be. But I don't think he has to be in order to be an effective player. Grigorenko will succeed because of his smarts, and talent. Add to it that I'm actually pretty convinced that he's probably the most grounded of all the candidates except maybe Forsberg, and I'm convinced he'll make the NHL.

...he may even end up with the best career out of any of 'em.

You don't need to be a crash and bang player to make it, for sure. But "finesse" players tend to have a bit higher bust potential, and can be frustrating. Of course some of the best players of all time were perimeter players, but it makes mistakes harder to cover up. I don't think this is a good market for Grigorenko, and I'd pick both Galchenyuk and Forsberg ahead of him. But it's not a clear cut decision, Grigorenko and Tervainen have more potential as playmakers.

I hate to say it, but picking 3rd here is probably the most stressful position to be in.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Am I the only one who wants the Habs to select Kevin Roy? Kid looks like he has ridiculous amounts of talent.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
You don't need to be a crash and bang player to make it, for sure. But "finesse" players tend to have a bit higher bust potential, and can be frustrating. Of course some of the best players of all time were perimeter players, but it makes mistakes harder to cover up. I don't think this is a good market for Grigorenko, and I'd pick both Galchenyuk and Forsberg ahead of him. But it's not a clear cut decision, Grigorenko and Tervainen have more potential as playmakers.

I hate to say it, but picking 3rd here is probably the most stressful position to be in.
Stressful especially this year since the top 5 is so uncertain. Comparing to the precedent years:

The players I would have picked, not considering their accomplishment in the NHL so far.
2011: Jonathan Huberdeau
2010: Eric Gudbranson
2009: Matt Duchene
2008: Alex Pietrangelo
2007: Kyle Turris
2006: Jonathan Toews

So, all in all, my choices are pretty much the overall consensus on the 3rd overall pick. But this year, it's so uncertain that nobody knows the possible order.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Doesnt matter really who we pick on draft day since the top 8 is loaded with legitimate NHL prospects.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Doesnt matter really who we pick on draft day since the top 8 is loaded with legitimate NHL prospects.
It does matter. Yes they are all going to be great NHL prospects..therefore, who's going to turn out the best NHL player? There's a difference between a 3d overall and a 8th overall theoretically. Can't make a mistake of choosing the wrong franchise player..

Old
06-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Am I the only one who wants the Habs to select Kevin Roy? Kid looks like he has ridiculous amounts of talent.
Hell yeah, but at wich rank should we try and get him?

Old
06-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
Hell yeah, but at wich rank should we try and get him?
he can probably be had in the 4th rd

Old
06-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Getzlaf also has things that Grigorenko didn't have, to be 100% fair: namely, Getzlaf can be one mean son of a *****.

However, so far as raw talent, and intelligence, absolutely, Grigorenko is in an elite category.
I'm still worried about him not showing up when the pressure's on and that's my main beef about Grigorenko. It's all about winning, not looking good.

Closed Thread