Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Kloten Flyers

Old
04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
holyprime

vCash: 500
Kloten Flyers

Do we have a lawyer around here who's comfortable with swiss hockey law?

I just read that there's a problem for the new possible owner, as the licence for the NLA is bound to the club (which is an AG). Lehmann doesnt want to take over, as there's too much debt(?). And he can't create a new AG and buyout the licence, as this is not allowed. So basically its a predecent for future cases, or the end of the flyers, as they are actually bankrupt anyway?

Is it really that grim or is there a chance that the league closes both eyes and hopes another club (like possibly ambri) wont try them a few years later? Or maybe some private initiative to at least save the youth movements like in soccer when they go bankrupt and kind of take over the licence of a small club in the area (3. Liga or smth like that)?

What would happen with their NLA spot? Could Langenthal gain promotion?

Weird that it emerged that fast with (apparently) so much debt, i mean you have to renew your licence every year.

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:37 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

I'm not a lawyer and have no definite answer about the legal stuff, but in case the Kloten Flyers go bankrupt, I guess the youth movement would be transfered to another local club and be saved, the same way it happend with Neuchatel Xamax earlier this year.

I also remember reading that had Langenthal won its serie against Ambrì only to be denied a licence, Ambrì would still have been relegated and the next season would have been played with 11 teams. I guess the same rule applies here, so if the next season is played without Kloten, they won't be replaced.

That being said, I really hope someone finds a way to save them. They are a historical team and I can't imagine the NLA without them, and Swiss hockey can't afford to loose their successful development system.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

The Kloten Flyers are a corporation and owned by the share holders, that includes the under-20 Team who are playing in the Junior Elite A-Championship...

The teams below that level (under-17, under-15 and so on), are a club and thatfore a bankruptcy wouldn't have any influence on their operation....

Maybe, that would bring another model like the PIKES Oberthurgau currently have... A Novize Elite-Team, but no Juniors....

Well see what happends.... Kloten has the licence for the next season, but Bircher still has to search for a lot of money!

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Purple hippo

Current President Jürg Bircher and his board member Kurt Hildenbrand have resigned leaving their shares available for compensation. The former President of the club and current head of the task force "Rescue Kloten Flyers" Peter Bossert, had made it no secret that he wanted to overthrow Bircher. The provisional statement for the financial year 2011/2012 has an indebtedness from 6,5 to 9,2 million francs - depending on the assessment.

Adrian Fetscherin (works at TeleClub) who uncovered all this when he was suppose to start taking over the club in February still owns 30% of the shares but is willing to work with Bossert and his Group to save the club. The players have also dropped their 31.May deadline on Kloten to pay their wages for April and May, around 1,5 million francs in order to give Bossert and his Groups the time to save the club before the 6.June meeting of the National Leagues. From my understanding, they need to find 10+ million francs, before 6.June because thats their judgement day.

As for moving forward, the league will decide between playing at 11 clubs or finding a replacement. Lausanne is almost 100% going to be the club since they fit all the requirements set by the league and I cant see the NLA owners telling them no. And for Bircher, I can really understand why people made threats against your life, he has basically destroyed a club who has never been relegated and has been in the top league for what, 50 some years?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This part is a little off-topic and would really like some help from our Swiss friends. I dont know how reliable 20 minuten posters are but...

Somebody brought up EHC Dübendorf moving up the ranks should Kloten die...do they even have the means to move up or is this just a fans dream? From an outside standpoint, he either knows something or seen it reported that sponsors/people in charge would look at them to move up? Why Dübendorf though, if people in charged wanted another club in NLA from Canton of Zurich why not Winterthur or Bülach (who I thought had a partnership or friendship of some kind with Kloten)? At first, I thought it was for fan travel reasons, but Bülach is the same distance as Dübendorf and Wintherthur is only 23 minutes away so it must be something more. Plus, if Kloten is going to re-start all over again in 4.Liga (I understand really poor quality compared to National Leagues) but wouldnt fans of Kloten stick by the side of their club rather then jump ship?

Anyways, this entire situation is just one big mess.

Last edited by Purple hippo: 05-29-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:19 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

A club taking up Kloten's place would probably move there and change its name, which I guess is easier to do with a club from the Zurich urban area and without much history, unlike Bülach who use to play in the NLB, or Winterthur which is a city in its own right (but our posters from Zurich can probably tell us more about this issue).

But the problem with Dübendorf is that they are part of the ZSC organisation, so maybe it's not the right club either.

About the quality of 4.Liga, let's just say that I can score at a PPG pace there, which means... it's not good at all.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:02 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenskaRiga View Post
I dont know how reliable 20 minuten posters are but...
The 20min comment section is entertaining at best.
Strange moderation and about 10% of all the comments show actual knowlegde. The rest is spam like "I agree" or "Like", a flamewar or OT discussions.
Well, you can't expect much more from the homepage of a (free) daily newspaper.

You can forget about Dübendorf, the reason is already mentioned by stv11.

I seriously doubt that the replacement, if there is a replacement in the first place, will be from the canton of Zurich. I think, they would try to adjust the teams to the "Röstigraben" here in Switzerland.

This is the situation now:

GERMAN
Biel (2/3 german, 1/3 french, I guess)
Davos
Zürich
Bern
Zug
Langnau
Rapperswil
Kloten

FRENCH
Genève
Fribourg (2/3 french, 1/3 german, I guess)

ITALIAN
Ambri
Lugano

Too many clubs from the german-speaking area and not enoug clubs from the romandie, when we think about ~60% german speaking people, ~30% french speaking people and ~10% italian speaking people.

Including Lausanne would make more sense since they already have a very solid fanbase, are in the french speaking area and aren't that much of a economically trojan horse.

A romansh club would be interesting, too. But I doubt that this would make any sense in an economical pov

Anyway, would be tragical if Kloten dies. Let's hope that this very sympathic and entertaining club will not disappear and they are able to somehow turn the whole thing around.

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Purple hippo

Thanks very much for information from both of you, very helpful. I figured Dübendorf was more just a wishful fan dream to see his club rise more then anything.

Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

If there would be a replacement, should Kloten bump out, the teams would have to fullfill the National League terms... And first of all, they are asking a team to win the National League B and fullfill the financial criteria to play in the National League A.

So after the last season, the 1st candidate would be Langenthal, but the word is out, that they don't want the promotion...

So oviously, the runner-up would be the 2nd choice and that would be Lausanne...

For sure, there won't be a selection of which a team which would be the best, based on Area or Language or whatever...

But it could easily be, that the League decides to play 11 teams in the NLA and 11 in the NLB and have one sure promoted team after the next season.

After June 8th we will know more...

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:12 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

I'm pretty sure I've read that, had Langenthal defeated Ambrì and later be denied or refused their promotion, the NLA would have been played with 11 teams. I imagine the same would happen if Kloten doesn't exist anymore. The schedule is already out anyway.

But I'm still hoping that Kloten can somehow be saved by some last second investor. Unlikely at this point, but it happend to Servette FC a few month ago.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:43 AM
jonas2244

In my opinion the chance that the Flyers will be saved as risen the last days, from 1% to 2%.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
In my opinion the chance that the Flyers will be saved as risen the last days, from 1% to 2%.
That is a 100% rise !!

The sky is bright, the future is red and white

torero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:55 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Seems that Kloten is saved by none other than the league president.

Very good thing, but I can't help but feel it wouldn't be right if there isn't any consequence for the bad management and they start next season with the exact same team.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:40 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

Their team gets blown up! (slightly exaggerated )

According to 20min.ch, Roman Wick, Patrick von Gunten, Niklas Nordgren and coach Anders Eldebrink have to go. Félicien Dubois and Samuel Walser are questionable.

But great engagement by Gaydoul! Really happy for the Flyers, even when the next season will be tough for them...

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:32 AM
torero

If they have financial problems ... they have to reduce costs !!
Big salaries have to be removed ... young players promoted.
Any big salary players's future with them is questionable and will be questioned.

This is the quick fix where they can have immdediate influence on the business model bottom line (forecasted earnings)
I cannot imagine a bankrupt organization having a new chance with a already negative business model !!

Last edited by torero: 06-06-2012 at 04:49 AM.
torero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:27 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Yes, according to the latest reports, the big earners will have to leave. Wick is expected to join ZSC, with Von Gunten and Nordgren to leave too, and I wouldn't be surprised if Du Bois goes somewhere else.

Not too bad considering where they were just two days ago, they could still be a playoff contender.