HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Nick Petrecki

Old
06-01-2012, 04:48 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Nick Petrecki

Hello Sharks fans. I come in peace. I wanted to ask a question about Nick Petrecki and his place within the Sharks organization. Is he going to be a top four guy in San Jose or is he going to be a bottom pairing defender? I remember when Petrecki was drafted how he was projected to be a top shut down guy. With that being said, I know that there have been a few hiccups along the way in his development. Do you feel he will become a shut down guy or has he been passed on the depth chart by other defenders? Do you also think a change of scenery might be required for Petrecki to reach the next level? My apologies if any of you are offended by these questions.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:54 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
If you're asking if he's available in a trade? Yes, he is available. From what I've heard, he's been pretty disappointing. He's been passed up by a few defensemen (Demers and Braun have basically lapped him). Can't see the org being too happy with that. Probably a bottom pairing guy in the big leagues if he makes it.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:05 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Not impressing those that see him regularly at all. Hopefully he becomes a serviceable bottom-pairing guy in the next two years, the Douglas Murray replacement of sorts.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:43 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Not impressing those that see him regularly at all. Hopefully he becomes a serviceable bottom-pairing guy in the next two years, the Douglas Murray replacement of sorts.
Obviously speed/210/etc. will have more to say on this, but I seem to recall them having a much less negative feeling towards him than his first AHL season.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:52 PM
gonegonegone*

it's nice to see petricki defenders finally admitting he's probably going to bust. for the longest time everyone has been defending him ("he needs time to develop!" or "no no he's good, don't be impatient", etc). that said, 2007 was not a very good draft year overall, minus a few guys like kane, couture, perron, shatty (ehhh), benn, max, and pk, there's not a whole lot of success stories. i think 5 years is long enough to tell too if someone's gonna be a stud or just a serviceable body.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Obviously speed/210/etc. will have more to say on this, but I seem to recall them having a much less negative feeling towards him than his first AHL season.
His first season he was very bad...he showed this season that he does have the talent to play in the NHL when he gets it all together. His big issue is he can't get it all together very often.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

He has a very hard shot. Unfortunately, most of them hit the boards. I'm hoping he will develop into a physical bottom pairing guy.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Hello Sharks fans. I come in peace. I wanted to ask a question about Nick Petrecki and his place within the Sharks organization. Is he going to be a top four guy in San Jose or is he going to be a bottom pairing defender? I remember when Petrecki was drafted how he was projected to be a top shut down guy. With that being said, I know that there have been a few hiccups along the way in his development. Do you feel he will become a shut down guy or has he been passed on the depth chart by other defenders? Do you also think a change of scenery might be required for Petrecki to reach the next level? My apologies if any of you are offended by these questions.
It's sad when other fans have to pretty much crawl into other teams' boards and grovel and beg and apologize for nothing. Nothing you asked should offend anyone, and people here will be more than happy to help you find any info you're looking for.

I don't know a whole lot about Petrecki, but the little I do know, is that he was drafted with high expectations, and 5 years is a long time to wait for a player who was drafted so high to develop. I remember reading others' comments pretty much saying that his development has been longer because he is a dman and dmen often take longer. How much longer? I think some said last tryout they think it could be 1-2 more years before NHL, but who really knows. Not sure how helpful any of that is for you, but that's just my thoughts on him. Hope you get some info you're looking for.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 08:54 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

petrecki still has top 4 potential, in the sence that he'd replace murray or murrays replacement. id start him off as our 7th and see what he can do this year.

the problem i think was that he was so physically strong in juniors and college that he could easily push people off the puck, when he hit the AHL, he was no longer the strongest and the bad habits he developed exposed him badly.

he seems like the good character guy that went out and trained his ass off to improve. he's taking so long because he has to get rid of 20 years of bad habits developed from being the strongest player.

once they are gotten rid of, i think he can be a top 4 dman. he's big, strong and a fast skater with a solid first pass, and hes got one helluva mean streak. i still like him enough to defend him.

and the defenceman that passed him are different dmen. PMD are quicker because theyre vision and skating are usually up to par. DFD, have to build alot more muscle and improve their positioning alot more. and in petreckis case, get rid of bad habits

McLovin25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:04 PM
ScottyDont

vCash: 900
I admit I know nothing about Petrecki... but if we're comparing him to D. Murray, Murray didn't play a full season in the NHL until he was 27. Even if we take a year off of that due to the lockout, he's 26... Petrecki at 22 still has time to develop.

ScottyDont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:06 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDont View Post
I admit I know nothing about Petrecki... but if we're comparing him to D. Murray, Murray didn't play a full season in the NHL until he was 27. Even if we take a year off of that due to the lockout, he's 26... Petrecki at 22 still has time to develop.
Except Petrecki is a former first round pick. Murray was a 6th (?).

Old
06-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

I still think he has the ability to be an NHL level dman. If Douglas Murray can, he can. Hes a hard worker and has physical tools and a mean streak. I see him in the Shane O'Brien/Ryan O'Bryne mold. Big, physical character guy who will stand up for his teammates and be a steady bottom pairing defenseman.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:34 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Murray is a solid comparison - best fit as a bottom pair guy, but someone who may fit in the top-4 at some point as a #4 with a babysitter-type puck mover as his partner. No shame in developing into that.

Last edited by magic school bus: 06-01-2012 at 09:53 PM.
magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
His first season he was very bad...he showed this season that he does have the talent to play in the NHL when he gets it all together. His big issue is he can't get it all together very often.
Sounds like he has issues with the space between his ears.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:40 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
And that's the difference between him and Murray. Murray's a smart player.

If Petrecki pulls it together he could be a better-skating version of Murray.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

I think he's a "project player" at this point - 3 years in the AHL and he's not quite a steady / reliable player at that level from what i can tell. Scouts tend to like big physical players like this, he's not been able to take his game to the next level on a consistent level. Mostly in his head i'm sure.

At this time, i'd give him a 1 year deal to see if he can make it in the A as a top pairing player, or move him to anyone that wants him or add him to a deal as sweetner for some other better player.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
And that's the difference between him and Murray. Murray's a smart player.

If Petrecki pulls it together he could be a better-skating version of Murray.
Don't forget Murray was 27 before he was a regular. I think the Sharks would be estatic if he turns into that.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:27 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Shows the difference between a 9th and a 28th i guess?

Can the Shraks draft a penalty kill coach in the 1st round?

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Yep.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 50
That's not the worst thing, that can come with experience and maturity.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
That's not the worst thing, that can come with experience and maturity.
Trying to word this with some tact....let's just say there's a lot of space between Petrecki's ears. I'm not sure "experience and maturity" is going to help as much as it might in some others.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Don't forget Murray was 27 before he was a regular. I think the Sharks would be estatic if he turns into that.
And don't forget that for the first 2 seasons he played people were calling Murray a pylon who didn't belong in the NHL at all. I think I'm willing to give Petrecki a while more to develop, especially given that he is supposedly a good deal more mobile than Murray.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
And don't forget that for the first 2 seasons he played people were calling Murray a pylon who didn't belong in the NHL at all. I think I'm willing to give Petrecki a while more to develop, especially given that he is supposedly a good deal more mobile than Murray.
completely agree

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:44 AM

There really is no reason for SJ to not keep him around to see if he can suddenly pull it together, and at 23 years old he's still young enough for that to happen. It's not as if he's holding up another prospect by taking away an AHL spot away from someone...

Old
06-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

He has the raw ability. He just needs to find the hockey sense before he spirals deeper into bust territory.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote