HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Sabres Player Usage Charts

Old
06-04-2012, 01:13 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Benching Torres, for a concussed Drew Stafford in the playoffs was pretty ****ing stupid, though.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
big pass on dubinsky from me. dude's a turd. while he has size (i suppose) he doesn't really play like it. more of the same. no one in the league worries about playing against dubinsky.
Uhh, you mean besides being third on the Rags--one of the most physical teams in the league--in hits among forwards? He's more than physical enough.

I bet you also believe Drew Stafford is "soft" or "not physical enough," too.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
If Torterella doesn't like him... it should be a concern.

Dubinsky doesn't block shots, and isn't particularly good at any one thing...

While the need for someone to play center is near desperate for the Sabres... I do worry that Dubinsky would be another Ville Leino. (bad fit)
Well, at least Dubinsky has played center in North America, so already he's better than Leino in my book. He's also averaged around 52% over 1200 faceoffs in the last two seasons--I don't think Leino took 1/10 that amount of faceoffs before he signed with Buffalo. Dubinsky plays a high level of competition with predominately defensive zone starts; in Philly, Leino played a lower level of competition with primarily protected offensive zone starts. Dubinsky is very physical; Leino, while a good puck protector, is not a physical presence. Dubi is an effective forechecker; Leino is not. Also, Dubinsky's ice time--fifth at ES, fifth overall among Rags' forwards--doesn't indicate that Torts dislikes him.

I don't think Dubinsky and Leino could be more different. Once again, I think people are conflating the debate between "ideal" and "realistic." Dubinsky is realistic, even if not ideal. But he'd be a helpful player to our roster.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Well, at least Dubinsky has played center in North America, so already he's better than Leino in my book. He's also averaged around 52% over 1200 faceoffs in the last two seasons--I don't think Leino took 1/10 that amount of faceoffs before he signed with Buffalo. Dubinsky plays a high level of competition with predominately defensive zone starts; in Philly, Leino played a lower level of competition with primarily protected offensive zone starts. Dubinsky is very physical; Leino, while a good puck protector, is not a physical presence. Dubi is an effective forechecker; Leino is not. Also, Dubinsky's ice time--fifth at ES, fifth overall among Rags' forwards--doesn't indicate that Torts dislikes him.

I don't think Dubinsky and Leino could be more different. Once again, I think people are conflating the debate between "ideal" and "realistic." Dubinsky is realistic, even if not ideal. But he'd be a helpful player to our roster.
you're right...

and while i wasn't comparing Dubi to Leino as players (i was comparing the acquisition of someone to fill a role they shouldn't)... it was still a garbage comparison

I'd rather pay Stoll as an UFA, then give up assets for Dubi...
but i wouldn't be upset with the acquisition.

You're right, the move is realistic and a solid move to fill needs
(even if i have doubts about Dubi as a shutdown center)

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Uhh, you mean besides being third on the Rags--one of the most physical teams in the league--in hits among forwards? He's more than physical enough.

I bet you also believe Drew Stafford is "soft" or "not physical enough," too.
i really don't care what dubinsky's stats read -- i have seen enough of his game over the years to have come to the conclusion he isn't what we need. feel free to disagree. the leino comparison is apt.

re: staff - no but i believe stafford doesn't use his frame to his full advantage and is terribly streaky. the same could be said about dubinsky. he is more of the same supporting cast type player. we don't need more david spades. we need a chris farley. understand?

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:13 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
i really don't care what dubinsky's stats read -- i have seen enough of his game over the years to have come to the conclusion he isn't what we need. feel free to disagree. the leino comparison is apt.

re: staff - no but i believe stafford doesn't use his frame to his full advantage and is terribly streaky. the same could be said about dubinsky. he is more of the same supporting cast type player. we don't need more david spades. we need a chris farley. understand?
Chris Farleys don't grow on trees.

We'll more than likely have to settle for a player like Dubinsky - a David Spade, as you put it - as opposed to Staal. How would Dubinsky not fill a need? He's a big-bodied (able) center with offensive ability.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
you're right...

and while i wasn't comparing Dubi to Leino as players (i was comparing the acquisition of someone to fill a role they shouldn't)... it was still a garbage comparison

I'd rather pay Stoll as an UFA, then give up assets for Dubi...
but i wouldn't be upset with the acquisition.

You're right, the move is realistic and a solid move to fill needs
(even if i have doubts about Dubi as a shutdown center)
Dubi is great. I love him as a Ranger. But he is kinda hot and cold but always physical and pretty ballsy. I doubt NY will dump him unless it's absolutely necessary

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote