Old
06-01-2012, 05:48 PM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

vCash: 500
Tim Thomas may take the year off? Part 2

Continued from here...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1199729

I know everyone's blood is up over this Thomas situation, but please try and refrain from flaming posters and responding to trolls. Report if there are any issues.

Thanks

Old
06-01-2012, 05:54 PM
NHRonin

I think Haggs and KPD should take a year off. Their drive to run T2 out of town is disgusting.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:57 PM
323 Krejci 7

damn, so that game 7 loss against the caps might have been thomas' last game as a bruin

Old
06-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

Well I found my answer. Reading is fundamental. The cotract can "tolled" or edit, extended, or the service time carries over to next year. Unless I am missing something in the definition of toll, not sure why the Bruins wouldn't toll the contract at this point, but I will take Dreger at his word. Edit...fwiw................ I see why the Bruins won't "toll" his contract as they have no interest in keeping Thomas or his cap hit beyond this year. Sigh......Not very well informed am I. etc.........such is life.

Last edited by Actp: 06-01-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 06:02 PM
bigbadjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRonin View Post
I think Haggs and KPD should take a year off. Their drive to run T2 out of town is disgusting.
The only one driving Tim Thomas out of towns is Tim Thomas. Fatigue? In June?

Sadly, despite his insane play that was the main reason The Cup returned to Boston, I find myself tired as well. Tired of his lack of comment and clarity. Man was a great backstop but a terrible leader. Unless this is just some bs ploy for control of any possible trade, at which point I am more than just tired, I'm disgusted.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjohn View Post

Sadly, despite his insane play that was the main reason The Cup returned to Boston, I find myself tired as well. Tired of his lack of comment and clarity. Man was a great backstop but a terrible leader. Unless this is just some bs ploy for control of any possible trade, at which point I am more than just tired, I'm disgusted.
He didn't just call Chiarelli today and say he was quitting. Chiarelli said this happened in early May.

You don't just walk away and leave $3 million on the table, and leave the game you've dedicated your entire life to, on a "bs ploy." Something is obviously going on here, and I've been a fan of the Bruins and Tim Thomas long enough to trust that whatever it is, it's serious.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Quote:
Right on brotha... felt the same then and now...

Old
06-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

So let me recap here:

Tim goes to management and says.. I have a family issue I cannot fulfill my job next year.

Management says....sorry to hear that, it makes it a little tricky for us, but we understand.

Tim takes care of his commitment to his family and the Bruins use other goalies (who are fairly talented) in place of him.

Life AND hockey go on.

?What am I missing?

Old
06-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
So let me recap here:

Tim goes to management and says.. I have a family issue I cannot fulfill my job next year.

Management says....sorry to hear that, it makes it a little tricky for us, but we understand.

Tim takes care of his commitment to his family and the Bruins use other goalies (who are fairly talented) in place of him.

Life AND hockey go on.

?What am I missing?
You forgot the wild speculation and irrational hate and blame.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Alan Ryan

GM Chiarelli acknowledged that a Thomas trade is possible to a team needing to reach the cap floor. This is about the only way the Bruins could get rid of the $5 million cap hit.

Ironically, now trading Thomas might become a more attractive option.

"That would be something we'd look at. You do have that flexibility and there is the element of teams trying to reach the salary floor," Chiarelli said. "I don't know what that will be in the next deal and there's a little bit of uncertainty there, too."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Old
06-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
You forgot the wild speculation and irrational hate and blame.
I have to wear a different outfit for that

Old
06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
So let me recap here:

Life AND hockey go on.

?What am I missing?
No, that's not right!!! That's...

Wait, no, you're right.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:13 PM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjohn View Post

hahah WHAT!?!? If the media said all boston bruin fans are now jumping off cliffs to their deaths i'm sure some posters on HF would be the first to go. lol. All the hype was much to do about nothing, nothing hockey related anyway. Since when can a guy not stand up for his beliefs because they go against the grain. with that being said I bet you'd sell yer first born for a million bucks, timmy gave the finger to 3M on principal. Whether it was because of the speculation of being traded, family issues or other, you got to respect that.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
So let me recap here:

Life AND hockey go on.

?What am I missing?

Here is one twist I haven't seen until this nhl.com article:

Chiarelli also said that he asked Zito if a contract extension would affect Thomas' decision, and the agent said no.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post

Chiarelli also said that he asked Zito if a contract extension would affect Thomas' decision, and the agent said no.

That's the best article I've seen about this, thanks for the link.

And it pretty much confirms Kovi's summary.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:

So much for the theories that Timmy is doing this to hose the Bruins in trade negotiations because the Bruins are "not commiting to him" or whatever people have been trying to say.

Old
cat400

Quote:

From Chiarelli's comments, it looks like money is not the issue.

Playing goal in the NHL has to be one of the toughest and most stressful positions in all of professional sports.

Chia did offer some examples where fatigue / burnout have affected stars:

Chiarelli compared Thomas' decision to similar situations teams have gone through with star players like Scott Niedermayer, Teemu Selanne, Nicklas Lidstrom and Dominik Hasek after long playoff runs in the past. Hasek skipped the 2002-03 season and Niedermayer sat out half a season after Anaheim won the Cup in 2007.

Old
deliciouspie
the best post

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
the anti dryden becomes dryden

hmm

Old
06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

And it pretty much confirms Kovi's summary.
It's simply a mature view, without the "fan" part of me engaged. It's the business of life. things come up, tempests, if you will--you have to have the courage to deal with them.

and hockey is rarely about one player. (although I admit I cried when Sammy got traded to the Habs)

Old
06-01-2012, 06:31 PM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Quote:
GM Chiarelli acknowledged that a Thomas trade is possible to a team needing to reach the cap floor. This is about the only way the Bruins could get rid of the $5 million cap hit.

Ironically, now trading Thomas might become a more attractive option.

"That would be something we'd look at. You do have that flexibility and there is the element of teams trying to reach the salary floor," Chiarelli said. "I don't know what that will be in the next deal and there's a little bit of uncertainty there, too."

very interesting bit of information, get a 5M cap hit and pay nothing. plus retain the rights to the best goalie in the league. wow. hello islanders.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:31 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

vCash: 50
Can someone enlighten me on the possibility of a trade to a team trying to hit the salary floor? Why would any team want a $5 mil cap hit on purpose how does this help them?

Old
06-01-2012, 06:32 PM
bigbadjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimeHockeyNut View Post
hahah WHAT!?!? If the media said all boston bruin fans are now jumping off cliffs to their deaths i'm sure some posters on HF would be the first to go. lol. All the hype was much to do about nothing, nothing hockey related anyway. Since when can a guy not stand up for his beliefs because they go against the grain. with that being said I bet you'd sell yer first born for a million bucks, timmy gave the finger to 3M on principal. Whether it was because of the speculation of being traded, family issues or other, you got to respect that.
I reply to your "what." question - let me clarify. I was responding to the chatter on this board. I know it is usually far from reality based, but when reading it, I reply from time to time. Unfortunately, I haven't the strength or stomach to read through every single page. The parts I read had posters suggesting this was some move that Thonas was making to gain some negotiating power. If so (look ou the word IF) then I'm disgusted by the move.

If not, then we have "fatigue" as the reason. And forgive me, other poster, fatigue in May, now it makes perfect sense.

I have no idea what principles you think are driving this decision (btw, check out principle vs principal) nor do I understand why you think mine and Tim's are any different, knowing neither one of us.

Others as us to read between lines implying relationship trouble. Fatigue is now a euphemism for that now. Wonderful.

I'll turn away from the rants now and wait to see what will happen with Tim.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:33 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
He just needs a new career, this whole sports reporting and interacting with professional athletes just doesn't work with the type of person he is.

I wonder how long it will take for Timmy to figure this out? (If of course it isn't just him destroying his trade value in order to remain a Bruin next season too; I'm fine with that! )

Old
06-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
Can someone enlighten me on the possibility of a trade to a team trying to hit the salary floor? Why would any team want a $5 mil cap hit on purpose how does this help them?
There is a salary cap and teams need to "spend" (have combined cap hits) equal to the cap minus $16m. So if the cap is $70.6m as projected as 57% of revenues, teams need to have a minimum of $54.6m in total cap hits.

Some teams have budgets that won't allow them to spend this much. If you take on Thomas and suspend him for not reporting, you spend $0 in real money but get to add $5m to your cap number.

Lots of the teams on a budget actively pursue players that have lower salaries than cap hits so that they can reach the cap floor without actually spending that much money.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:45 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
If you take on Thomas and suspend him for not reporting, you spend $0 in real money but get to add $5m to your cap number.
In all honesty (I don't know)...is this true? Or does the team acquiring Thomas only pick up the $3M cap hit of his last season's salary? I guess I thought all along that this is what made his contract structure attractive to other GMs if a trade was made: they wouldn't inherit the $5M hit the Bruins had, only the hit comprised of the remaining salary and years, $3M in this case.

Closed Thread