HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Tim Thomas may take the year off? Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2012, 05:48 PM
  #1
HooperDrivesTheBoat
Moderator
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
 
HooperDrivesTheBoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LINY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,941
vCash: 500
Tim Thomas may take the year off? Part 2

Continued from here...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1199729


I know everyone's blood is up over this Thomas situation, but please try and refrain from flaming posters and responding to trolls. Report if there are any issues.

Thanks

HooperDrivesTheBoat is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 05:54 PM
  #2
NHRonin
Registered User
 
NHRonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vieste, Italy
Country: United States
Posts: 2,324
vCash: 500
I think Haggs and KPD should take a year off. Their drive to run T2 out of town is disgusting.

NHRonin is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 05:57 PM
  #3
323 Krejci 7
Registered User
 
323 Krejci 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 477
vCash: 500
damn, so that game 7 loss against the caps might have been thomas' last game as a bruin

323 Krejci 7 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:01 PM
  #4
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!
 
Actp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 4,354
vCash: 500
Well I found my answer. Reading is fundamental. The cotract can "tolled" or edit, extended, or the service time carries over to next year. Unless I am missing something in the definition of toll, not sure why the Bruins wouldn't toll the contract at this point, but I will take Dreger at his word. Edit...fwiw................ I see why the Bruins won't "toll" his contract as they have no interest in keeping Thomas or his cap hit beyond this year. Sigh......Not very well informed am I. etc.........such is life.


Last edited by Actp: 06-01-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Actp is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:02 PM
  #5
bigbadjohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRonin View Post
I think Haggs and KPD should take a year off. Their drive to run T2 out of town is disgusting.
The only one driving Tim Thomas out of towns is Tim Thomas. Fatigue? In June?

Sadly, despite his insane play that was the main reason The Cup returned to Boston, I find myself tired as well. Tired of his lack of comment and clarity. Man was a great backstop but a terrible leader. Unless this is just some bs ploy for control of any possible trade, at which point I am more than just tired, I'm disgusted.

bigbadjohn is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
  #6
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjohn View Post
The only one driving Tim Thomas out of towns is Tim Thomas. Fatigue? In June?

Sadly, despite his insane play that was the main reason The Cup returned to Boston, I find myself tired as well. Tired of his lack of comment and clarity. Man was a great backstop but a terrible leader. Unless this is just some bs ploy for control of any possible trade, at which point I am more than just tired, I'm disgusted.
He didn't just call Chiarelli today and say he was quitting. Chiarelli said this happened in early May.

You don't just walk away and leave $3 million on the table, and leave the game you've dedicated your entire life to, on a "bs ploy." Something is obviously going on here, and I've been a fan of the Bruins and Tim Thomas long enough to trust that whatever it is, it's serious.

Artemis is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
  #7
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr
 
MaritimeHockeyNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRonin View Post
I think Haggs and KPD should take a year off. Their drive to run T2 out of town is disgusting.
Right on brotha... felt the same then and now...

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:07 PM
  #8
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey
 
Kovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,258
vCash: 500
So let me recap here:

Tim goes to management and says.. I have a family issue I cannot fulfill my job next year.

Management says....sorry to hear that, it makes it a little tricky for us, but we understand.

Tim takes care of his commitment to his family and the Bruins use other goalies (who are fairly talented) in place of him.

Life AND hockey go on.


?What am I missing?

Kovi is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:09 PM
  #9
Bridges31
Goon? Lol
 
Bridges31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 11,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
So let me recap here:

Tim goes to management and says.. I have a family issue I cannot fulfill my job next year.

Management says....sorry to hear that, it makes it a little tricky for us, but we understand.

Tim takes care of his commitment to his family and the Bruins use other goalies (who are fairly talented) in place of him.

Life AND hockey go on.


?What am I missing?
You forgot the wild speculation and irrational hate and blame.

Bridges31 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:09 PM
  #10
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,870
vCash: 500
GM Chiarelli acknowledged that a Thomas trade is possible to a team needing to reach the cap floor. This is about the only way the Bruins could get rid of the $5 million cap hit.


Ironically, now trading Thomas might become a more attractive option.

"That would be something we'd look at. You do have that flexibility and there is the element of teams trying to reach the salary floor," Chiarelli said. "I don't know what that will be in the next deal and there's a little bit of uncertainty there, too."



http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Alan Ryan is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:10 PM
  #11
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey
 
Kovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
You forgot the wild speculation and irrational hate and blame.
I have to wear a different outfit for that

Kovi is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
  #12
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
So let me recap here:

Tim goes to management and says.. I have a family issue I cannot fulfill my job next year.

Management says....sorry to hear that, it makes it a little tricky for us, but we understand.

Tim takes care of his commitment to his family and the Bruins use other goalies (who are fairly talented) in place of him.

Life AND hockey go on.


?What am I missing?
No, that's not right!!! That's...

Wait, no, you're right.

Artemis is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:13 PM
  #13
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr
 
MaritimeHockeyNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjohn View Post
The only one driving Tim Thomas out of towns is Tim Thomas. Fatigue? In June?

Sadly, despite his insane play that was the main reason The Cup returned to Boston, I find myself tired as well. Tired of his lack of comment and clarity. Man was a great backstop but a terrible leader. Unless this is just some bs ploy for control of any possible trade, at which point I am more than just tired, I'm disgusted.
hahah WHAT!?!? If the media said all boston bruin fans are now jumping off cliffs to their deaths i'm sure some posters on HF would be the first to go. lol. All the hype was much to do about nothing, nothing hockey related anyway. Since when can a guy not stand up for his beliefs because they go against the grain. with that being said I bet you'd sell yer first born for a million bucks, timmy gave the finger to 3M on principal. Whether it was because of the speculation of being traded, family issues or other, you got to respect that.

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:14 PM
  #14
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
So let me recap here:

Tim goes to management and says.. I have a family issue I cannot fulfill my job next year.

Management says....sorry to hear that, it makes it a little tricky for us, but we understand.

Tim takes care of his commitment to his family and the Bruins use other goalies (who are fairly talented) in place of him.

Life AND hockey go on.


?What am I missing?

Here is one twist I haven't seen until this nhl.com article:

Chiarelli also said that he asked Zito if a contract extension would affect Thomas' decision, and the agent said no.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Alan Ryan is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:17 PM
  #15
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Here is one twist I haven't seen until this nhl.com article:

Chiarelli also said that he asked Zito if a contract extension would affect Thomas' decision, and the agent said no.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home
That's the best article I've seen about this, thanks for the link.

And it pretty much confirms Kovi's summary.

Artemis is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
  #16
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 8,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Here is one twist I haven't seen until this nhl.com article:

Chiarelli also said that he asked Zito if a contract extension would affect Thomas' decision, and the agent said no.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home
So much for the theories that Timmy is doing this to hose the Bruins in trade negotiations because the Bruins are "not commiting to him" or whatever people have been trying to say.

Dogberry is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
  #17
cat400
Registered User
 
cat400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Here is one twist I haven't seen until this nhl.com article:

Chiarelli also said that he asked Zito if a contract extension would affect Thomas' decision, and the agent said no.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

From Chiarelli's comments, it looks like money is not the issue.

Playing goal in the NHL has to be one of the toughest and most stressful positions in all of professional sports.

Chia did offer some examples where fatigue / burnout have affected stars:

Chiarelli compared Thomas' decision to similar situations teams have gone through with star players like Scott Niedermayer, Teemu Selanne, Nicklas Lidstrom and Dominik Hasek after long playoff runs in the past. Hasek skipped the 2002-03 season and Niedermayer sat out half a season after Anaheim won the Cup in 2007.

cat400 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
  #18
deliciouspie
the best post
 
deliciouspie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: sf, austin, here
Country: United States
Posts: 2,778
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
the anti dryden becomes dryden

hmm

deliciouspie is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
  #19
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey
 
Kovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

And it pretty much confirms Kovi's summary.
It's simply a mature view, without the "fan" part of me engaged. It's the business of life. things come up, tempests, if you will--you have to have the courage to deal with them.

and hockey is rarely about one player. (although I admit I cried when Sammy got traded to the Habs)

Kovi is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:31 PM
  #20
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr
 
MaritimeHockeyNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
GM Chiarelli acknowledged that a Thomas trade is possible to a team needing to reach the cap floor. This is about the only way the Bruins could get rid of the $5 million cap hit.


Ironically, now trading Thomas might become a more attractive option.

"That would be something we'd look at. You do have that flexibility and there is the element of teams trying to reach the salary floor," Chiarelli said. "I don't know what that will be in the next deal and there's a little bit of uncertainty there, too."



http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

very interesting bit of information, get a 5M cap hit and pay nothing. plus retain the rights to the best goalie in the league. wow. hello islanders.

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:31 PM
  #21
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time
 
KCBRUIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kansas City Mo.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 50
Can someone enlighten me on the possibility of a trade to a team trying to hit the salary floor? Why would any team want a $5 mil cap hit on purpose how does this help them?

KCBRUIN is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:32 PM
  #22
bigbadjohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimeHockeyNut View Post
hahah WHAT!?!? If the media said all boston bruin fans are now jumping off cliffs to their deaths i'm sure some posters on HF would be the first to go. lol. All the hype was much to do about nothing, nothing hockey related anyway. Since when can a guy not stand up for his beliefs because they go against the grain. with that being said I bet you'd sell yer first born for a million bucks, timmy gave the finger to 3M on principal. Whether it was because of the speculation of being traded, family issues or other, you got to respect that.
I reply to your "what." question - let me clarify. I was responding to the chatter on this board. I know it is usually far from reality based, but when reading it, I reply from time to time. Unfortunately, I haven't the strength or stomach to read through every single page. The parts I read had posters suggesting this was some move that Thonas was making to gain some negotiating power. If so (look ou the word IF) then I'm disgusted by the move.

If not, then we have "fatigue" as the reason. And forgive me, other poster, fatigue in May, now it makes perfect sense.

I have no idea what principles you think are driving this decision (btw, check out principle vs principal) nor do I understand why you think mine and Tim's are any different, knowing neither one of us.

Others as us to read between lines implying relationship trouble. Fatigue is now a euphemism for that now. Wonderful.

I'll turn away from the rants now and wait to see what will happen with Tim.

bigbadjohn is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:33 PM
  #23
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!
 
PatriceBergeronFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRonin View Post
I think Haggs and KPD should take a year off. Their drive to run T2 out of town is disgusting.
He just needs a new career, this whole sports reporting and interacting with professional athletes just doesn't work with the type of person he is.

I wonder how long it will take for Timmy to figure this out? (If of course it isn't just him destroying his trade value in order to remain a Bruin next season too; I'm fine with that! )

PatriceBergeronFan is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:35 PM
  #24
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 8,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
Can someone enlighten me on the possibility of a trade to a team trying to hit the salary floor? Why would any team want a $5 mil cap hit on purpose how does this help them?
There is a salary cap and teams need to "spend" (have combined cap hits) equal to the cap minus $16m. So if the cap is $70.6m as projected as 57% of revenues, teams need to have a minimum of $54.6m in total cap hits.

Some teams have budgets that won't allow them to spend this much. If you take on Thomas and suspend him for not reporting, you spend $0 in real money but get to add $5m to your cap number.

Lots of the teams on a budget actively pursue players that have lower salaries than cap hits so that they can reach the cap floor without actually spending that much money.

Dogberry is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 06:45 PM
  #25
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,315
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
If you take on Thomas and suspend him for not reporting, you spend $0 in real money but get to add $5m to your cap number.
In all honesty (I don't know)...is this true? Or does the team acquiring Thomas only pick up the $3M cap hit of his last season's salary? I guess I thought all along that this is what made his contract structure attractive to other GMs if a trade was made: they wouldn't inherit the $5M hit the Bruins had, only the hit comprised of the remaining salary and years, $3M in this case.

ReggieMoto is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.