HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas may take the year off? Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2012, 10:09 AM
  #351
NeelyDan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Err, under the context that he's doing this as some sort of counter-measure to suit his own needs is, by definition, selfish.

Seriously, not honouring a contract you signed in good faith? Leaving the team that made you who you are in a terrible position financially (as it pertains to your specific deal)? Leaving that team's fanbase feeling screwed over (except for the white knights of course)?

It's brutal, sorry. Tim has, by himself and himself alone, taken a storybook ending and made it a nightmare. Take the year off, I'll eat the 5 million. I'll also never look at you the same again. Great performances over the years, for sure. All tarnished now.

NeelyDan is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:10 AM
  #352
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtam83 View Post
what a "richard" move by thomas. he knows he's on the block and is saying screw you b's, I'd rather not play. he signed the contract and should fulfill it. thanks for the cup but don't let the door hit you on the way out!
And so it begins....

Dr Quincy is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:11 AM
  #353
5 minutes a Knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Except he's gone through the whole school year. He never get's to do the "dad" thing with helping his kids with homework. That's 6+ months of barely being in their lives. Who knows if his mom got worse with his cancer.

Sorry DKH, dick move of a post in my opinion considering you literally have no idea.

And I GET IT that when I/we say stuff like this, it's always countered with "well.. you don't either". Which pisses me off. Again, what has Tim done exactly to warrant such animosity and no benefit of the doubt? If he says he wants to spend more time with his family, who is ANYONE to call him a liar? I understand this is a discussion thread but I find posts like yours incredibly disrespectful.
DKH has more legit connections in the Boston hockey world than most, he has an idea, trust me.

5 minutes a Knight is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:14 AM
  #354
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Well the Bruins actively shopped him when he had a NMC.....are they "richards" too or is it just business?
To quote the greatest line from a sports movie, football player says to GM: "Every time I call it a game you call it a business. Everytime I call it a business, oyu call it a game."

Players are expected to be happy to make millions of $ for playing a game and show ultimate loyalty to a team. At the same time they are have to accept being treated no differently than the equipment: as soon as a better, newer model is available they are thrown away.

If Thomas doesn't want to play, and is willing to not get paid NOBODY should be angry at him.

Dr Quincy is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:18 AM
  #355
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
DKH has more legit connections in the Boston hockey world than most, he has an idea, trust me.
Is he still thinking the same idea?



I dunno

Kovi is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:20 AM
  #356
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Classless move by Thomas as he is putting himself before the team. Did he forget that it was the Bruins who gave him a chance to succeed? Did he forget that he is a millionaire because of the Bruins? Did he not realize that when he signed his contract that he was being fazed out in his final year? Did he realized that he screwed up the team's focus with his political antics? Does he realized now that he is messing with the team's success because he will leave his 5 million cap hit to affect the talent the Bruins could have brought in?
1) The B's didn't give him anything. They were a desperate team with no goalie and signed him to a contract for their minor league team. He earned that signing. He then played well enough to get called to the big league. He earned that. He then played well enough to get extended. He earned that. He became the starter. He earned that. The B's gave him nothing.

2) He isn't a millionaire because of the Bruins. He is a millionaire because his talent, hard work, effort, skill and dedication made him one. The only person who is a millionaire because of the B's organization gave him something is Charlie Jacobs.

3) Did the B's not realize that when they signed a player to an over 35 contract that they would be stuck with that cap hit if the player chose to retire or take a year off?

4) Did the B's not realize they were giving a player a NMC in the contract? If so why did they seek to trade him before such clause expired?

5) Did the B's not realize they screwed with the team's focus when they sought to trade their starting goalie in the summer?

6) Did the B's not realize they were messing with their cap when they signed a 35+ player to a contract for 5 years and would be completely stuck with that on their cap NO MATTER WHAT?

Dr Quincy is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:21 AM
  #357
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 10,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'm still waiting for that long list of selfish acts...
This isn't a list of selfish acts, this isn't even anything tangable, heck, I have been searching for a way to say this without sounding like an idiot, I just don't think there is a way to do and the people who know what I am talking about will probably feel the same way and the ones who don't will think I am an idiot.

First off I want to say I love Yim Thomas for what he did on the way to winning the Cup, I love the story of Tim Thomas from his humble beginnings to the glory of Stanley Cup Champion and Con Smyth winner. I am not a fan of trading him just to get cap space, I would rather he played for the Bruins.

But with all that said, every time Tim Thomas has spoken publicly I have gotten a strange feeling for the past couple of years. When he gave his little cup speech, the "you wanted the cup, we got the cup" speech, I have felt that Tim Thomas was setting himself apart from everyone else.

At first it didn't matter other than me thinking it was strange, I met him once a couple of years ago, I asked him about his mask and why he no longer had a big Bruins logo on it, well, that question didn't go over too well and abruptly ended my conversation with Thomas.

It is just a feeling, a creepy feeling and Tim Thomas gives me that feeling when he speaks. I felt guilty about this for a couple of years and horrified by it when they won the Cup.

The feeling Thomas gives me is the feeling I get when someone is lying to me and I know it.

Sorry to everyone who is going to think I am crazy or think I am calling Thomas a liar because I am not, I don't know what to think about it exactly.

nmbr_24 is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:21 AM
  #358
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 16,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
If you do anything less than bow to the TT altar you often do get chastised here.
Keep worshipping Buffalo Billionaires instead of humans who put their health on the line.

Dr Quincy is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:21 AM
  #359
McKuato
Registered User
 
McKuato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lowell, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
Here's how this will play out. Chia sets up a potential trade for much less than he would have gotten and gives that team permission to woo Thomas back to playing, strike his ego, send him love letters and the deal gets done. And don't think for a second Thomas won't play beyond next year. This is a card that most honorable men wouldn't play which is why it must be family reasons to most because they can't believe someone would put themselves first or better put, take their bat and ball and go home when they don't get their way.
Not so bold prediction:
He plays next year and all this was a power move.
And those saying they want him out west do they don't play him often, I disagree, trade him in the conference so they can play him more and get under his skin ala Hartnell in the winter classic

McKuato is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:25 AM
  #360
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 14,445
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeelyDan View Post
Err, under the context that he's doing this as some sort of counter-measure to suit his own needs is, by definition, selfish.

Seriously, not honouring a contract you signed in good faith? Leaving the team that made you who you are in a terrible position financially (as it pertains to your specific deal)? Leaving that team's fanbase feeling screwed over (except for the white knights of course)?

It's brutal, sorry. Tim has, by himself and himself alone, taken a storybook ending and made it a nightmare. Take the year off, I'll eat the 5 million. I'll also never look at you the same again. Great performances over the years, for sure. All tarnished now.
But.... the Bruins aren't in a terrible position financially.

SerenityRick is online now  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
  #361
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 14,445
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
DKH has more legit connections in the Boston hockey world than most, he has an idea, trust me.
Uh huh.. So does Wally...

SerenityRick is online now  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
  #362
northeastern
Registered User
 
northeastern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 5,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
This is all about control...Thomas doesn't have it in a couple of significant areas.

Complete game of chicken now folks, but what is interesting is Thomas agent is Tuukka's....that is fascinating.

Thomas is either burned out or not; Anyone talking about the family stuff is a complete moron what a joke- the guy has 6 months off a year, and makes millions and can afford to move them even in war zone Massachusetts.

so what is the end game, Tim?

solutions you could hand pick?

play for Colorado?

take a year off because you miss your family....not buying, no freaking way. You bounced to more countries and states than 99.99% of the people and now they HAVE to live in Colorado

I'm pretty upbeat, but when I get down and want to read a bunch of drivel this thread will exist

pooor Tim, his family is in Colorado

there is a lot more to this than meets the eye and I'll admit I dont have the answers but not buying whats on the table
I'm right here with you DKH. I get where everyone is coming from all this timmy is a hero for wanting to help his family. but I'm not going to defend this decision until a real reason surfaces. Until then I'm seeing this as a selfish move honestly. Why can all the other players in the league deal with being away from their families year around and now all of a sudden timmy needs an entire year off?

I get its very sad he cant be with his family for half a year but he knew what he was getting into playing in the NHL. he makes millions a year to make up for it. I have a very hard time feeling bad for him. he made it through the ahl, euro leagues and now when he gets to fly in a plane, paid millions and is on a winning team its to much?

northeastern is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
  #363
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgorod
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
But.... the Bruins aren't in a terrible position financially.
Ask the Jacobs family if Thomas put them in a terrible position financially

finchster is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:28 AM
  #364
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 10,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
There was the leaked trade of Thomas for Carter and Philly counter offered Gagne and Chia balked.



I'm not blaming Chiarelli, but I am not Tim Thomas. I can understand how Thomas was disillusioned after moving his family to Boston then Chiarelli trying to move him during his parents' cancer treatment and Thomas’s own injury problems. You’re right, a general manager should explore all options to improve the team, but this business is filled with real people and when a ‘business decision’ could impact a player negatively it’s not going to be well received by that player. As fans we judge it from the outside, but inside is like any work place.
I must have missed the Carter for Thomas one, but I do remember the Gagne rumours.

The whole entire mess is just disheartening for me. I don't want to think badly of Thomas and I don't want him to be having a crisis with his family.

I think I just am not going to believe what people are telling us right now and wait for the entire truth to come out. There has to be more to it than Thomas is worn out. I am just not going to believe that right now.

nmbr_24 is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:31 AM
  #365
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgorod
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 500
I would like to know why Thomas should put the team ahead of himself if he knows he will no longer be a part of it? I wonder if Chiarelli put the Ottawa Senators before the Boston Bruins when Chara decided to sign in Boston while Chiarelli was still employed in Ottawa.

finchster is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:33 AM
  #366
Gee Wally
Grumpy
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 37,847
vCash: 500
Awards:
My prediction is that this ends in one of 2 ways. And forget about any players or picks for TT.

1 - Bruins move him to under floor team for a bag of pucks.

2 - the new CBA contains amnesty clause and Bruins jump on it.


Then there is the scary as hell wild card. Burke calls Chia and says give me permission to talk to my USA boy Timmah. If he wants to do a year up here in beautiful Toronto, I'll take that 5 million worth of dead money off your hands. For a bag of pucks.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:34 AM
  #367
dtam83
Registered User
 
dtam83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Well the Bruins actively shopped him when he had a NMC.....are they "richards" too or is it just business?
nope, that was just business. there is a double standard here because in one hand you have a team trying to put pieces together to form a winning team whereas you have an individual trying to gain control. If he wanted that, he should have persisted on a NMC for the entire life of the contract. The NMC just gives thomas the final say as to where he is going, doesn't mean you can't shop him around.

dtam83 is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:37 AM
  #368
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
 
The Special K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canal Winchester, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
This isn't a list of selfish acts, this isn't even anything tangable, heck, I have been searching for a way to say this without sounding like an idiot, I just don't think there is a way to do and the people who know what I am talking about will probably feel the same way and the ones who don't will think I am an idiot.

First off I want to say I love Yim Thomas for what he did on the way to winning the Cup, I love the story of Tim Thomas from his humble beginnings to the glory of Stanley Cup Champion and Con Smyth winner. I am not a fan of trading him just to get cap space, I would rather he played for the Bruins.

But with all that said, every time Tim Thomas has spoken publicly I have gotten a strange feeling for the past couple of years. When he gave his little cup speech, the "you wanted the cup, we got the cup" speech, I have felt that Tim Thomas was setting himself apart from everyone else.

At first it didn't matter other than me thinking it was strange, I met him once a couple of years ago, I asked him about his mask and why he no longer had a big Bruins logo on it, well, that question didn't go over too well and abruptly ended my conversation with Thomas.

It is just a feeling, a creepy feeling and Tim Thomas gives me that feeling when he speaks. I felt guilty about this for a couple of years and horrified by it when they won the Cup.

The feeling Thomas gives me is the feeling I get when someone is lying to me and I know it.

Sorry to everyone who is going to think I am crazy or think I am calling Thomas a liar because I am not, I don't know what to think about it exactly.
I have had the same feelings since he ditched the bruins colors on all his equipment. I never really knew what to make of it, but so long as he won....I did not care. That said, I have had this feeling that he has been trying to distance himself from the organization (not his teammates tho).

The Special K is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:40 AM
  #369
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 14,445
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
I have had the same feelings since he ditched the bruins colors on all his equipment. I never really knew what to make of it, but so long as he won....I did not care. That said, I have had this feeling that he has been trying to distance himself from the organization (not his teammates tho).
If I remember correctly, it came out that he had neutral color equipment because during that time, he had no idea if he was going to be traded/accepting a trade to another team. I don't think it had anything to do with distancing himself from the Bruins at all.

SerenityRick is online now  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:41 AM
  #370
BruinsFTW
Registered User
 
BruinsFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,938
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BruinsFTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
If he doesn't play next season, he almost certainly is done.

I always assumed that Thomas would be seeking one more big dollar multi-year contract, but now I think he planned to retire as a Bruin after next season. Problem is, it looks like Chiarelli was preparing to trade him and he might prefer to retire instead.

Other possible motives for a desire to retire early could be marriage difficulties and/or his parents' deteriorating health.
I think quite a few people overlooked this. OOG kind of hinted on it when he said his family moved out West early in the year.

I think it has nothing to do with sick family members. It's either his marriage is failing or hes trying to play hardball and control where he plays.

And like someone said, who wouldn't want a year off to be with their wife/kids more? Policemen, Firemen, Soldiers, Doctors...people with very demanding jobs. But just cause hes a millionaire and can afford it thats fine? I don't see any other millionaires in sports doing this, Tim just has it like that I guess..Everyone in every Pro Sports league all deals with the same issues with families, kids, wives, sickness etc. Ridiculous. He has months off a year. And I'm sure he sees them when hes playing at home in Boston. Until you know, his family decided to move away. I don't buy the family sickness at all. I'm pretty sure it was in an article his mother was doing a lot better, and someone else mentioned it here too.

I don't back this at all, Unless someone is terminally ill in his family I just can't get behind it. You signed the contract, honor it.


Last edited by BruinsFTW: 06-02-2012 at 10:55 AM.
BruinsFTW is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:43 AM
  #371
dtam83
Registered User
 
dtam83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
So there's one. Keep them coming.

EDIT - Or is that so heinous in your eyes that it completely erases what he's done for this team?
nope, he was fantastic for us in 2011, best goalie in the world in 2011, doesn't mean we have to unconditionally love him for the rest of our lives.

if he was drunk and killed someone, would that completely erase what he did for this team? no, he was great in 2011, but I don't think quite as many people would be siding with him. For the rest of us, we don't like the harm that can come to this team.

dtam83 is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:45 AM
  #372
BruinsFTW
Registered User
 
BruinsFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,938
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BruinsFTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
This is all about control...Thomas doesn't have it in a couple of significant areas.

Complete game of chicken now folks, but what is interesting is Thomas agent is Tuukka's....that is fascinating.

Thomas is either burned out or not; Anyone talking about the family stuff is a complete moron what a joke- the guy has 6 months off a year, and makes millions and can afford to move them even in war zone Massachusetts.

so what is the end game, Tim?

solutions you could hand pick?

play for Colorado?

take a year off because you miss your family....not buying, no freaking way. You bounced to more countries and states than 99.99% of the people and now they HAVE to live in Colorado

I'm pretty upbeat, but when I get down and want to read a bunch of drivel this thread will exist

pooor Tim, his family is in Colorado

there is a lot more to this than meets the eye and I'll admit I dont have the answers but not buying whats on the table

100% agree with this post.

Don't buy this family stuff, except maybe having marital problems. But like stated he has the whole summer off.

Everyone trying to make it sound ok hoping its family issues. The guys a millionaire, don't feel bad for him at all, except if someone really was terminally ill in his family.

Which I don't.

And why would Chia be "disappointed" if his family was terminally ill. I'm sure Chia/Boston Bruins org would do anything they could to help him, give him the time. I'm sure he would of said he understood etc. Not be disappointed. Didn't look to pleased at all with this decision...

This whole situation reaks of him playing hardball.


Last edited by BruinsFTW: 06-02-2012 at 10:57 AM.
BruinsFTW is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:46 AM
  #373
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastinB's View Post
his marriage is failing


^ ding



just mpo

Kovi is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:46 AM
  #374
5 minutes a Knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Uh huh.. So does Wally...
Agreed, but don't you think if the TT family thing was legit (not caught with pants down legit but sick child legit)the Boston Bruins front office family would be falling all over themselves publicly to help out him and his family??? and not be grinning like a Cheshire Cat at yesterday's press conference

5 minutes a Knight is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:47 AM
  #375
beaverjc
Registered User
 
beaverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,576
vCash: 500
It doesnt take a rocket science to read between the lines and see there is some conflicts between Timmy and the Bruins management. Timmy beats to his own drum and that doesnt bode well for a "team". If in fact Timmy is taking time off for his family then so be it. Its a ballsy move but based on his prior decision making that would be a similiar maverick decision that he has made in the past. If he is using the family reason instead of being honest about his distaste for how the Bruins management has treated him then thats cowardly. Basically the two need to find a way to make a seperation and both Timmy and the Bruins should go their seperate ways and move on.

beaverjc is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.