Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 09:42 PM
SerenityRick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I don't follow Haggs on twitter, but didn't he just keep harping on Thomas for weeks/months after the WH thing? This seems to be in character to me.
Yep. When he wouldn't shut up about it that's when I finally unfollowed him. I think he lost quite a bit of followers over it too.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:43 PM
rickizbruin

TT over the years has been amazing to watch. I dont know what he is going through nor do i know why he moved his family ?
all i do know is he has been a part of something very special with a team i have been following since i was like 9 yrs old. (and a third cup i have seen them win.)
i say... until i know something then im not guessing or ready to hate him for something he feels he needs to do. not after all he has done.
wish Timmy all the best... hope whatever he is dealing with works out for him.

saying all that.. looking towards what happens next year with tuka... and who ever is the other goalie... GO BRUINS ~!!!!!

Old
06-01-2012, 09:44 PM
bostonphoenix

[QUOTE=ddacey;50412639]I have no clue whats goin on. Perhaps his wife has cancer. Perhaps a kid is an addict. Honestly it's none of our ****ing business.

I do hope it's more than just Tim shafting th bruins.

His political views don't matter his play was great in my book this year. That's not to say I was against trading him. But now his value is 0. He deserves the right if he wants it to retire in Boston.

If I was a professional athlete separating my personal life and game lIfe would be tough. X dollars would go far in making me figure it out. But Tim is giving up mOney to deal with family things. Shame on us to make him the bad guy.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't follow Haggs on twitter, but didn't he just keep harping on Thomas for weeks/months after the WH thing? This seems to be in character to me.
Meh, not these one liners. He would beat around and beat around and try to find a story....make mentions of the WH "incident" and Thomas's politics in all stories written about him. I found it annoying, I didn't like it, but I put up with it because I felt that as a journalist he was doing his job and there was at least a microcosm of "newsworthiness" for lack of a better term.

Stuff like the tweet I posted is just pointless and mean spirited. There's no microcosm of journalism or integrity in stuff like that. It's completely biased and unprofessional.

He's lost this fan for sure.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:50 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I have no issue with that if it happens. I also have no issue with him trying to get his family in the best situation for them. I also have no issue with him wanting to spend time with his ill parents.

As a matter of fact I'd do the same. I believe you would too BJ.
So let me get this straight...

Thomas signs a 4 year front-loaded contract and agrees to give up his NMC/NTC in the last year.

He then publicly comes out and says that he may not play because he wants to spend time with his family.

If this turns out to be nothing more than a negotiating ploy, I most certainly would have an issue with it.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:51 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Do the Bruins win the cup without Seidenberg last season?

Many people forget that the Bruins lost Seidenberg prior to the 2010 playoffs.

With Seidenberg in the line-up the Bruins don't lose 4 straight to the Flyers.
They don't get out of the first round without Tim Thomas, lets be real here. Without TT they're one and done in 2011, Julien gets fired and Chiarelli's not far behind.

He didn't win the Conn Smythe for nothing, people like to say its easy playing behind Chara but he bailed them out time after time after time. Ference and Boychuk are not exactly a high end 2nd pair, as well as they've played at times.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:52 PM
BruinsPortugal

Sooo we'll have a 5M contract counting against the cap and no player? Wow

Old
06-01-2012, 09:56 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsPortugal View Post
Sooo we'll have a 5M contract counting against the cap and no player? Wow

Cheaper back-up and Savard on LTIR = not a problem.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

Thomas signs a 4 year front-loaded contract and agrees to give up his NMC/NTC in the last year.

He then publicly comes out and says that he may not play because he wants to spend time with his family.

If this turns out to be nothing more than a negotiating ploy, I most certainly would have an issue with it.
I think the opposite in fact.

I believe Tim Thomas has known he would take a year off all this season and perhaps for a year. All reports are suggesting that as well. Furthermore, I believe Peter Chiarelli and Tim Thomas have had this planned and confirmed since early May (as Chiarelli reported).

Then, on the very day the new revenue and salary cap is announced (including the dreaded cap floor) a story is leaked that Tim Thomas may take a year off.

Suddenly, we all become capologists and realize that his cap hits no matter what, but his salary is nullified due to his suspension for taking a year off.

Ladies and gentlemen, you now have a $5,000,000 cap hit with a $0 salary on the day that NHL teams realize that the cap floor has gone up again.

Wow, for something like that, you'd have to go to Harvard to plan and calculate that out, no?

Old
06-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

Do you have a wife and kids?
Do you have elderly parents both battling cancer?

Your employer is going to transfer you. Do you not use everything you can to take of your family first in this situatin?
Or do you say, geez I owe these guys and their business even though they don't want me around anymore. Let me put wife, kids, and sick parents as lower priority?

Its a ****ing game folks!

Life and lives are real.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
06-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
They don't get out of the first round without Tim Thomas, lets be real here. Without TT they're one and done in 2011, Julien gets fired and Chiarelli's not far behind.

He didn't win the Conn Smythe for nothing, people like to say its easy playing behind Chara but he bailed them out time after time after time. Ference and Boychuk are not exactly a high end 2nd pair, as well as they've played at times.
I was referring to the meltdown vs the Flyers.

If the Bruins had Seidenberg they don't lose 4 straight to the Flyers.

And you are right, without Thomas last season, the Bruins don't get out of the 1st round.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
BruinsPortugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
More like = stay the same minus one player, and an important one.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
I think the opposite in fact.

I believe Tim Thomas has known he would take a year off all this season and perhaps for a year. All reports are suggesting that as well. Furthermore, I believe Peter Chiarelli and Tim Thomas have had this planned and confirmed since early May (as Chiarelli reported).

Then, on the very day the new revenue and salary cap is announced (including the dreaded cap floor) a story is leaked that Tim Thomas may take a year off.

Suddenly, we all become capologists and realize that his cap hits no matter what, but his salary is nullified due to his suspension for taking a year off.

Ladies and gentlemen, you now have a $5,000,000 cap hit with a $0 salary on the day that NHL teams realize that the cap floor has gone up again.

Wow, for something like that, you'd have to go to Harvard to plan and calculate that out, no?
The infamous Mike from Attleboro called in to Felger & Mazz late in the show and suggested trading Thomas to a team that needed to reach the cap floor in exchange for future considerations to reclaim the cap space.

If Felger does in fact read these boards when preparing his NHL material, he hadn't read about that idea yet despite several folks talking about it here this afternoon. I could practically hear his hockey boner growing from the idea through my car radio.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:02 PM
bruins2011

put TT on waivers..that is an option.
sorry TT but you are not bigger than the game.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsPortugal View Post
More like = stay the same minus one player, and an important one.
Doesnt matter...he will play next year, just not with us.

I *hope* Tuuka is ready for the task. I like him a lot, just not completely sold that he can do it yet.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
The infamous Mike from Attleboro called in to Felger & Mazz late in the show and suggested trading Thomas to a team that needed to reach the cap floor in exchange for future considerations to reclaim the cap space.

If Felger does in fact read these boards when preparing his NHL material, he hadn't read about that idea yet despite several folks talking about it here this afternoon. I could practically hear his hockey boner growing from the idea through my car radio.
must not make boner/tunnel/better reception comment.

Old
RedBruin

I'll reserve judgement.

Old
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Meh, not these one liners. He would beat around and beat around and try to find a story....make mentions of the WH "incident" and Thomas's politics in all stories written about him. I found it annoying, I didn't like it, but I put up with it because I felt that as a journalist he was doing his job and there was at least a microcosm of "newsworthiness" for lack of a better term.

Stuff like the tweet I posted is just pointless and mean spirited. There's no microcosm of journalism or integrity in stuff like that. It's completely biased and unprofessional.

He's lost this fan for sure.
Just seems to me, from what he's said on various airwaves and stories I've happened to see, that's always been Haggerty's M.O. No great shock.

Pity, because he's a decent writer/reporter when he forgets the snark and just reports. But I guess that's not enough.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:06 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins2011 View Post
I'm sure Thomas doesn't give a **** about "not being bigger than the game"

Also learn about this situation before talking. Putting Thomas on waivers doesn't take his cap hit off the cap.

Old
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
What exactly does that do for you assuming he won't report. Who would claim him?
Sending him to Providence doesn't remove his hit.

Old
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Just seems to me, from what he's said on various airwaves and stories I've happened to see, that's always been Haggerty's M.O. No great shock.
He is a hack trying to make his mark and because the Bruins got bounced early he is getting some traction.

It is pathetic really. What TT was doing one year ago was someting most of us will not see again in our lives and we have these half wit bloggers crapping on him without knowing all the details.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I never heard him say he was.

And what does putting him on waivers accomplish?

Old
06-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Braunbaer
Braunbär

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
And you are right, without Thomas last season, the Bruins don't get out of the 1st round.
You can say the same about Kelly or Ryder or Horton or whoever.
The Bruins won the cup, not TT by himself.
The Rangers just prooved that an awesome goalie is not enough.
Yes, he bailed us out from time to time ... but that's his job. That's what he gets paid for.

Quote:
I forgot our team is perfect and we don't need to use those 5M for some other decent players ...

Old
06-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Again, I'm not shocked, I'm disappointed.

Before the Thomas thing, I liked him and his work and enjoyed interacting with him here. While I didn't agree with a lot of what he wrote and how he went about questioning and writing about Thomas, he was doing his job, whether I agreed with his approach or not. I found the act tired and annoying after a while, Now I find it tired, annoying, childish, unprofessional, and unacceptable.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:10 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
You can say the same about Kelly or Ryder or Horton or whoever.
The Bruins won the cup, not TT by himself.
The Rangers just prooved that an awesome goalie is not enough.
Yes, he bailed us out from time to time ... but that's his job. That's what he gets paid for.

I forgot our team is perfect and we don't need to use those 5M for some other decent players ...
LOL I like your definition of "time to time"...

Most saves ever in the history of the play-offs...three game 7's, all wins, no margin for error. First time that ever happened too...

Closed Thread