HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G. Landeskog VS. F. Forsberg

Old
06-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
G. Landeskog VS. F. Forsberg

How do they compare coming into their draft year? They strike me as two players in similar position in their draft year ; Not the highest upside player on the board, but good chance to reach their ceiling, and great contributors at both end of the ice...

Who's/was the better at the same age? And what about their long term potential?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:25 AM
DuckJet
Viva Las Vegas

vCash: 69
Landeskog is a safer bet to be a useful talent. Something like 2011 Ryan kesler. Forsberg has the higher upside but isn't as NHL ready and might not be for another 2 years. If he can work on his skating and execution I would say he can be a 35g 70+ player.

Landeskog's stats were lower than most guys you'd expect to succeed at the NHL level, but his strength, maturity, and hockey smarts made it easy for him to adapt and produce pretty much at the same output in the big league.

I think Forsberg can handle the NHL but I wouldn't say that at this stage he'd excel the way Landeskog did. Thats my take.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:30 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Lando is a ****ing horse. Forsberg needs a lot of work to add strength. I'd take Landeskog because I feel that even if he won't be producing points, he'll be useful with his defensive capabilities and physical play while Forsberg hasn't shown any of that. He's okay physically but certainly can't handle the NHL yet.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:56 AM
ponder

From the little I've seen, Forsberg has silkier hands, really smooth puck handler with an excellent skill set in general, sort of like a young, skinny Bobby Ryan. Landeskog is more of a power player, valuable not just for his offensive talent, but for his excellent hustle, physicality and 2-way play. Forsberg seems like he battles hard for the puck too, but I wouldn't say he has Landeskog's elite "intangibles."

Haven't seen enough of Forsberg to judge one way or the other, but they seem like reasonably different player.

Some Forsberg highlights:

I believe these highlights are mostly from the J20 SuperElit, when he was a 16 year old playing at the highest level of junior hockey in Sweden (the Swedish equivalent of the CHL, though obviously not quite as good). Not that highlights are a very good way to judge a player, but he looks really good here IMO, and he showed some of these skills (with much less dominance) in the WJCs as well. He dominated the J20 SuperElit statistically too, putting up 21 goals/40 points in 36 games when the 2nd place scorer on his team had just 11 goals/24 points in 39 games.

Last edited by ponder: 06-02-2012 at 01:04 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Goulet17

I think the over emphasis on Landeskog's overall play and intangibles has overshadowed his skill level. Landeskog is a highly skilled forward with an excellent shot.

He scored 66 pts. In 53 games his last year with Kitchener, which
represented a higher ppg average than Matt Duchene had his last OHL year. Landeskog also scored 36 goals in those 53 games. If he had not missed so many games due to an ankle injury, he would have scored well over 40 goals in his last OHL campaign.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:43 AM
sg58

I don't know if it's because of his relative size or because he is Swedish, but Forsberg has undeservedly gotten the "complete player" label in this ear's draft. He's a scoring winger, not that physical, not that good defensively yet. In their draft years and in their future it's Landeskog any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Joaquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
I don't know if it's because of his relative size or because he is Swedish, but Forsberg has undeservedly gotten the "complete player" label in this ear's draft. He's a scoring winger, not that physical, not that good defensively yet. In their draft years and in their future it's Landeskog any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Alright then buddy.

Joaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:49 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishhockeyfan View Post
Alright then buddy.
Do you care to present your opinion?

Old
06-02-2012, 07:52 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
I think the over emphasis on Landeskog's overall play and intangibles has overshadowed his skill level. Landeskog is a highly skilled forward with an excellent shot.
Agree

Landeskog >>>>> Forsberg

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:59 AM
WayneBruce

Quote:
I would agree with the first part. Forsberg is not yet a good 2-way player, his strengths are right now as an offensive player. Landeskog was almost a year older in his draft year and much more physically mature but his skills are and have always been a bit underrated, he was noticed very early as a big talent in the swedish junior leagues.

Forsbergs offensive tools are more evident, he has a good shot, a bigger arsenal of moves and a very nice drive to his game. He needs to bulk up bigtime before he is ready for the NHL but as a prospect I like him more than Landeskog.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Joaquin

Quote:
Do you care to present your opinion?
Well first of all Landeskog was almost a year older in his draft year so obviously he was more physically mature in his draft year. Landeskog stepped in the NHL and produced right away after he was drafted which is something i don't see Forsberg doing but saying that he will be a better player in 5 years is simply wrong, ofcourse in my opinion.

Landeskog will never be a star player in the NHL.

Joaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 08:04 AM
sg58

I agree with both of you that Forsberg's offensive upside is higher than the one of Landeskog (not a knock on Landeskog, Forsberg's upside is way up there), but with everything Landeskog has brought to the Avs and considering how safe he is to be a contributing player not only offensively, but a great player in every area of the game I would never rather have Forsberg. Considering how good of a level Landeskog is at already, even from a promising top-5 pick that's a lot to ask.

This could make either of us look very foolish in 5, though.

Old
06-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Landeskog's skill level is just a notch below Forsberg's but Landeskog's overall game and abilities rival his.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:40 PM
hdtrax

Either way, Swedish hockey is in good hands with these two leading the way into the future.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Future

Forsberg has higher upside and is much better offensively. If he continues to improve his skating he could be an excellent power forward/scorer.

Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Future

Forsberg isn't a power forward in the sense that he hits every thing that moves. What he does well is use his large body to protect the puck and drive to the net. He is also someone who you can put infront of the net on a power play to screen the goalie.

I watched Landeskog in Kitchener a lot and a bunch of times with the Avs. I think he has 60- 65 point upside while Forsberg, maybe around 75. Similar to Bobby Ryan.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Forsberg isn't a power forward in the sense that he hits every thing that moves. What he does well is use his large body to protect the puck and drive to the net. He is also someone who you can put infront of the net on a power play to screen the goalie.

I watched Landeskog in Kitchener a lot and a bunch of times with the Avs. I think he has 60- 65 point upside while Forsberg, maybe around 75. Similar to Bobby Ryan.
60-65 point upside? As a rookie 18/19 year old he had 52 points... I'd say his upside is definitely more than 8-13 points more than his rookie season totals....

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
60-65 point upside? As a rookie 18/19 year old he had 52 points... I'd say his upside is definitely more than 8-13 points more than his rookie season totals....
He's great. But he just doesn't have that high end offense. Compare his offensive talent to other NHL players that regularly put up 70 point seasons. He's just not up there.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
He's great. But he just doesn't have that high end offense. Compare his offensive talent to other NHL players that regularly put up 70 point seasons. He's just not up there.
A KRanger STH holder here I agree with what you sayin'.
I think when it comes to overall skills Landeskog may not have the jaw dropping skills and can't dangle as some players do but what Landeskog has are the skills that contribute to team wins and not personal stats! (which I would take any day of the week over "skills")

Ward Cornell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:01 PM
ponder

Quote:

Iginla has hit 50+ goals and 90+ points multiple times despite having a relatively straight forward, power based game. James Neal just put up a 40 goal, 81 point season. Eric Staal had a 100 point season, and is a lock for 70+ points every year. For an example of a smaller player, Parise had a 45 goal, 94 points season, as well as a 38 goal, 82 point season. You don't have to have the skill of Pavel Datsyuk, Evgeni Malkin or Ilya Kovalchuk to put up big numbers in the NHL, plenty of players get it done with tools similar to Landeskog's (great shot, good skating, solid hands, tonnes of hustle, great at winning puck battles and protecting the puck, etc.). Landeskog put up 22 goals, 52 points as an 18/19 year old rookie on a low scoring team, saying he has 60-65 point upside is pretty pessimistic. Maybe if you meant 60-65 points being an average year for him, including injuries, slump seasons, etc., but when people say upside they normally mean peak scoring, and I think Landeskog should easily exceed 65 points in his best few seasons (assuming no career altering injuries, which is what you assume when you say "upside").

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Landeskog. Forsberg may be better offensively than Landeskog but Landeskog dwarfs him in everything else.

And it seems people are confusing more finnese for better offense. Landeskog plays a simple offensive game but its just as effective as what Forsberg does. Personally I see Landeskog putting better numbers, 80-85 points.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:16 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Landeskog is a stud. He's a franchise winger, who can play in all facets of the game, but is also capable of being a game breaker offensively. Forsberg has the potential to be a touch better offensively, but Landeskog will be the better overall player IMO. That said, Landeskog developed aton after coming to NA, so perhaps Forsberg will do the same...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:17 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Forsberg has higher offensive upside but i think Landeskog has a better overall package at this point. Forsberg has lots of time to catch up in those areas though.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:19 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishhockeyfan View Post

Landeskog will never be a star player in the NHL.
Not sure if serious...

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Fearless Leaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Landeskog. Forsberg may be better offensively than Landeskog but Landeskog dwarfs him in everything else.

And it seems people are confusing more finnese for better offense. Landeskog plays a simple offensive game but its just as effective as what Forsberg does. Personally I see Landeskog putting better numbers, 80-85 points.
I agree, this is exactly what my opinion holds as well but it slightly varies from your last sentence because in my opinion their offensive output could go either way and it will be very close through-out their career unless one has a superior line-mates over the other.

Personally, I think Forsberg will be an excellent player with good time and development in all 3 zones and will be a damn good valuable player for whatever franchise that drafts him but personally I would clearly take Landeskog over him because Landeskog brings so much more to the table in an effective way, he never takes a shifts off, and more captain material, IMO. I had also rather have Landeskog on the ice comfortably at the last 2 minutes of the game if I am protecting a lead.

Overall, I just prefer Landeskog type of players a little more but whether we are talking about better career, peak, or even longetivity, this two won't be far off.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote