HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Humble Quick the pride of his hometown.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:48 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

vCash: 500
Humble Quick the pride of his hometown.

Great story on Quick. A must read.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/j...-season-053112

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:30 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

His compete level is insane.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:55 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

That was a fantastic article, thanks for sharing it. I went to middle school in Hamden for a while so I've got to imagine that I crossed paths with Quick at some point considering I'm only a year older than him. So glad to see that he's proving all the doubters wrong who said he never played well in the Playoffs.

Just 3 more lucky wins left.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:03 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Terrific read. I'm sure there's articles similar to this for a lot of our players hometowns. Great stuff.

It mentions "butterfly style" in the article which leads me to a question since I know next to nothing about goalie technique. When I think of a traditional butterfly goaltender, or at least what people have told me is a butterfly goaltender... it's not Quick. Not even close. Bernier is more what I would consider that but even then I still have doubts.

I don't even know if Quick has a previously-defined style. Hybrid? What the hell do you call Quick's style? Quickstyle?

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:21 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Terrific read. I'm sure there's articles similar to this for a lot of our players hometowns. Great stuff.

It mentions "butterfly style" in the article which leads me to a question since I know next to nothing about goalie technique. When I think of a traditional butterfly goaltender, or at least what people have told me is a butterfly goaltender... it's not Quick. Not even close. Bernier is more what I would consider that but even then I still have doubts.

I don't even know if Quick has a previously-defined style. Hybrid? What the hell do you call Quick's style? Quickstyle?
They were talking about this on NHL network today, they called it crab style and there isn't another goalie who could mimic it because you have to be naturally athletic and built like him.

On JB he plays a high bred style, cross between stand up and butterfly. Not a traditional butterfly

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:

Don Cherry brought this up in game 1, how neither goalie is a butterfly goalie, Brodeur obviously being standup and he said Quick is more of a hybrid, but more of a style unique to him, since he has no standup to his style to be a traditional hybrid, but he relies on reactions like a standup instead of percentages like a butterfly. Then went on to say how kids growing up now will begin to imitate Quick and it could be the style of the future

I dont even know how to describe his style, I guess it revolves around always having sight on the puck so you can rely on reactions to save shots rather than filling the net and letting the puck hit you

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:48 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

What impresses me so much about Quick is his leg strength. At times he'll sprawl to make a save, nearly do the splits and then purely with his legs bring himself back up to almost a stand-up position - bouncing up onto his skates every once in a while.

It's incredible that he's 100 games in to the season and still that well-conditioned.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:52 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
What impresses me so much about Quick is his leg strength. At times he'll sprawl to make a save, nearly do the splits and then purely with his legs bring himself back up to almost a stand-up position - bouncing up onto his skates every once in a while.

It's incredible that he's 100 games in to the season and still that well-conditioned.
Bill Ranford said Quick has legs like tree trunks. Quick has the most powerful push, Ranford has every seen (according to him). I think that is why Quick is able to get to pucks other goalies can't...

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 08:06 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

His mom said pisssed....hahaha great article. Any thoughts about the one soft goal though.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:01 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

What a great article! Thanks for sharing!

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:26 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Nice article! I live in Connecticut of course and he's been the talk of the state. Lots of articles on him in the papers and storys on the local news. Some guy today at bar I work at was trying to quiz me on Quick triva lol

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:27 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
Nice article! I live in Connecticut of course and he's been the talk of the state. Lots of article on him in the papers and local news. Some guy today at bar I work was trying to quiz me on Quick triva lol
What kind of questions was he asking?

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:29 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
What kind of questions was he asking?
Basically all he asked was where did he play his high school hockey. I think he said he knew the coach there

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:06 PM
William H Bonney

Very good read. Quick is the man.

Connecticut doesn't produce a lot of talent but when they do, they're usually pretty damn good players. You obviously have Leetch, Janney, and Drury as mentioned in the article as their past stars. But along with Quick, you also have Max Pacioretty and Kevin Shattenkirk now plying the trade in the NHL. It's great to see New England hockey (after a dreadful down period of at least a decade if not longer) start to recover.

06-02-2012, 08:22 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Such a great kid. Going to be amazing for USA Hockey going forward.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

It was a great read, really enjoyed it.

Oh, by the way.

Quick if ****ing insane. He was unbelievable tonight. Talk about focused.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote