HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs will take the best player available with the 5th overal pick in the 2012 draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 12:36 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Leafs will take the best player available with the 5th overal pick in the 2012 draft

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/01...lways-prepared

Quote:
Burke’s Leafs teams have not made the playoffs, but there has been more patience with allowing prospects to develop, and that should benefit the teenager Morrison recommends at the fifth spot. A player with the talent of Sarnia Sting forward Alex Galchenyuk could be sitting there when the Leafs’ turn at the podium comes, and if not him or Swede Filip Forsberg or Russian Mikhail Grigorenko, there will be a number of strong defencemen to consider.

And although the Leafs absolutely need a centre, or, failing that, a productive winger, Morrison said the team will take what it deems to be the best player when their turn comes.

“Is that message going to self-destruct in five seconds, because I can’t answer that,” Morrison said jokingly when he was asked if the Leafs were leaning toward a forward.

“We have an idea. I don’t think you can ignore a really good defenceman if he is the best player at that spot and you have to take him. If it is a forward, then we take the forward. We are going to take the best player. You have to. You can’t stray from that.”
Quote:
Whatever unfolds, Morrison and Co. will be prepared. The Leafs have six picks, and their second will be at No. 35, if Burke does not make any deals.

For the next few weeks, Morrison will continue to hone several mock scenarios that could go down on the first night of the draft.

Trade the pick? In that case, Morrison’s work would be for naught but the Leafs would be receiving something valuable in return. Keep it? Anything less than a bona fide blue-chipper would be a disappointment.

“We want a guy who could potentially be a core player, and you absolutely have to go with that mindset,” Morrison said. “I don’t think it is a weak draft, I am just not necessarily sure it offers the star power that is there in other drafts. There are some guys who could potentially be that, it's not as clear cut. We want to get that guy out of that group.

“There are a lot of guys (in this draft) who are going to play. It’s getting the ones who are going to take the jump.”

Old
06-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

reading between the lines a bit... Looks like if Murray would be at #5 they are all over him.

3 weeks and we will see!

Old
06-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Finding it more and more unlikely that we trade the pick

Old
06-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
reading between the lines a bit... Looks like if Murray would be at #5 they are all over him.

3 weeks and we will see!
no where, where I read there says there interested in Murray or anyone else. You just have love bind to him.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
no where, where I read there says there interested in Murray or anyone else. You just have love bind to him.
He said between the lines. That means its not stated, but implied.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
He said between the lines. That means its not stated, but implied.
it's not in between the lines either.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:08 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Nothing really surprising of course. Go for the best player and try to get the most skilled guy you can.

I'm sure he knows that the top forwards could go 1-4 and in that case would have to take the defenceman. Hard to really read anything into that regarding what their list is exactly.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:10 AM
ponder

Even if we need a C, I won't be unhappy at all if we chose Forsberg or Murray, both top notch prospects. The draft really is all about BPA, drafting for need is how you end up with, say, Nikolai Zherdev over Ryan Suter.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Even if we need a C, I won't be unhappy at all if we chose Forsberg or Murray, both top notch prospects. The draft really is all about BPA, drafting for need is how you end up with, say, Nikolai Zherdev over Ryan Suter.
agreed very well said

06-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Sundinisagod
Weed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post

3 weeks and we will see!

You think Murray is the one with "star power" out of the group?

Old
06-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
With Murray we can be confident taking the best defenceman in the draft, or we can either take the 3 best forwards after Yakupov. I love our position this year!

Old
06-02-2012, 01:28 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
All I'm hoping for is one of the teams ahead of us picks a bit off the board. Make Burke and company's job a little harder.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205

Old
06-02-2012, 01:29 AM
HOCKEYGOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
All I'm hoping for is one of the teams ahead of us picks a bit off the board. Make Burke and company's job a little harder.
I could see the Islanders going with Rielly regardless of whether Murray is already gone.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:05 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
If Murray is available at 5 and the forwards are picked, it's almost a no brainer imo. I say almost because I could see Burke taking Reinhart

Old
06-02-2012, 06:06 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYGOON View Post
I could see the Islanders going with Rielly regardless of whether Murray is already gone.
The Isles will take Murray if he's there, there second option could be Reinhart

Old
06-02-2012, 06:07 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
If they are truely picking BPA it doesnt make it any harder at all. They have a list and they follow it. You pick the highest guy on your list.

Your scenario would apply if they werent picking BPA.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Doesn't every team draft the players they think are the best with each draft pick? I highly doubt a team will say "Hey, player A is definitely the best of the draft class, but I think this other guy might be the player for us since we have a hole on the 2nd line"

Old
06-02-2012, 07:19 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Doesn't every team draft the players they think are the best with each draft pick? I highly doubt a team will say "Hey, player A is definitely the best of the draft class, but I think this other guy might be the player for us since we have a hole on the 2nd line"
u take the best player available .......i think this is gonna be a very uneventfull summer ......lots of teams looking to trade ,just not for our scraps .....the best players we have trade are young ......that being said ...the very most important peice of burkes work will be signing shultz ......that falls into place then the dominos can fall ....but failing to land 1 marquis free agent and our leaves are in trouble

Old
06-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Arbucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
No. Teams often think "we need a centre depth", and then pick the best player in that position.

BPA vs Need

Old
06-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Budsfan

I'm sure the Leafs scouting has prepared their own list and it may differ with the ISS list but in the first 5 players, it will probably be the same.

The surprises will be after the the first 5 or 6, it looks to be a pretty deep draft, good players but not outstanding ones and I wouldn't be surprised if Burke deals a player or two and trys to get another pick or two in the first round, I think he was offered some earlier in the season but turned them down and maybe he will re-visit those offers and make a deal.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:56 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
“We have an idea. I don’t think you can ignore a really good defenceman if he is the best player at that spot and you have to take him. If it is a forward, then we take the forward. We are going to take the best player. You have to. You can’t stray from that.”
1. Yakupov
2.-5. any order: Grigorenko-Galchenyuk-Forsberg-Defender

I'm not aware there is a scientific (objective) method to say who is BPA, but I'd say there is little if any difference in the subjective BPA between group 2 above. Intangibles enable you to chose anyone of them and claim they are BPA on your list.

Murray, Rielly, Reinhart, maybe even Trouba could be argued for that top defender selection, for various reasons.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
06-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Interactif

Not unexpected, strong reference Leafs like a few defenceman in this draft, if Forsberg isn't there is my guess, or they may move down. I was thinking about Morrison's answers to Miller's question yesterday about Galchenyuk and I do think his lack of games this year may be an issue. In later interviews he was complimentary but you always do this as a scout, not tip your hand. Rielly missed time too, but atleast got in 23 games last year as opposed to 8. So we will see what unfolds.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:48 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Not unexpected, strong reference Leafs like a few defenceman in this draft, if Forsberg isn't there is my guess, or they may move down. I was thinking about Morrison's answers to Miller's question yesterday about Galchenyuk and I do think his lack of games this year may be an issue. In later interviews he was complimentary but you always do this as a scout, not tip your hand. Rielly missed time too, but atleast got in 23 games last year as opposed to 8. So we will see what unfolds.
You have no idea what you're talking about, and I wish you'd stop as though privy to anything. All of us read about the players, all of us gleam stuff from the pros, the way you posit yourself as though some insider sitting in cold rinks looking at these "kids" it's pure comedy dude, or delusion, whatever.

Reference one source where anybody has intimated the Leafs will move down if Forsberg isn't available? All I've read from the combine is that Gally is impressing the hell out of people, interviewing well, a gym rat, knee concerns diminishing, stock is rising if anything, and yet we have you with your magic eight ball in some basement who has unlocked what is really going on! Please.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:49 AM
BlueBaron

I want Galy or Grigs but I wanted Filatov so what do I know ?

This is such a tough draft to predict, I hate hoping a D go's in the top four so we have a chance at the two centers.

Must be even rougher at 6.

Seems to me Columbus and the Islanders could do anything.

Interesting idea put up by Hockey Central was that if the Habs bring Roy in they would favour Grigs.

Closed Thread