HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wherein we pin our salvation on someone besides Guerrero (wallpaper/avys - posts 1&2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 06:54 PM
sparxx87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
#FreeMottola

Honestly, I think we've been saying this for the past year and a half, guys go down to Vegas swinging broom sticks at golfballs, then come up and it's like they're seeing beachballs until Murphy sinks his teeth back into them.

This is the guy credited with making Lawrie the hitter he was last year, fixing Snider several times only to get ruined by Murphy again, and has d'Arnaud, Hech and Gose swinging hot sticks this year.

Murphy has ridden the coattails of Bautista and has maybe had some part in Rasmus' resurgence, though I would still give more credit to Farrel putting him there and leaving him, than Murphy, and most of the credit to Rasmus being a good hitter. Other than that, he turned Hill and Lind into automatic outs, and has this team being one of the worst clubs at getting on base over his tenure.
I'll have to agree..

Regardless of his track record, the results speak for themselves... When the team is among the worst in almost all offensive categories, its time for change..

Old
06-14-2012, 07:09 PM
weems

This is what Murphy said back in 2010

"I think on-base percentage is an overrated stat,” Murphy said
Is that so Dwayne?

Right now arguably the best team in the league Texas leads in OBP
2nd ranked team in OBP is the Dodgers who have a record of 40-24
The 3rd ranked team in the majors in OBP are the Yankees

Last year the WS champs had the 3rd best OBP in the regular season

Now listen to these things Snider said about Matolla

"I don't think you can say enough great things about him as a hitting coach. He's a guy who really understands different personalities and different styles of swings,"

Matolla seems alot more flexible.
Murphy seems to implement one approach and it doesnt differ from player to player.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
Lots of great players were discovered that way, and continue to be, what is your point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Huh? Old school scouting? What is the new school scouting? Looking at stats on a teenager or a college kid?

No one does that. Scouting is still scouting. You scout, you see his tools/swing/mechanics, you try to determine his projection and ultimately his ceiling.
Did you guys not read my follow-up posts on the same page?

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Scion

vCash: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Did you guys not read my follow-up posts on the same page?
Yes, but hours after replying to your initial post.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
This is what Murphy said back in 2010

"I think on-base percentage is an overrated stat,” Murphy said
Is that so Dwayne?

Right now arguably the best team in the league Texas leads in OBP
2nd ranked team in OBP is the Dodgers who have a record of 40-24
The 3rd ranked team in the majors in OBP are the Yankees

Last year the WS champs had the 3rd best OBP in the regular season

Now listen to these things Snider said about Matolla

"I don't think you can say enough great things about him as a hitting coach. He's a guy who really understands different personalities and different styles of swings,"

Matolla seems alot more flexible.
Murphy seems to implement one approach and it doesnt differ from player to player.
Quoting a single line like the one above (about Murphy) can be misleading. I would need to see the context of the quote before making a rash judgement one way or the other.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:56 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

As I said before, even setting aside my personal dislike for Murphy, I still really want Mottola promoted. He just seems to have a great knack for "fixing" hitters so far and I've heard nothing but positive feedback for him from players and the org.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
Sometimes I use Twitter: @Nemesis_HF
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-14-2012, 07:58 PM
weems

Quote:
Quoting a single line like the one above (about Murphy) can be misleading. I would need to see the context of the quote before making a rash judgement one way or the other.
Heres the link

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?...homeruns052610

The full quote

""I think on-base percentage is an overrated stat,” Murphy said flatly. “Those guys getting on base, most of them aren’t getting them in. Give me somebody who drives them in after that. I need guys who can drive the ball.”

Old
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
As I said before, even setting aside my personal dislike for Murphy, I still really want Mottola promoted. He just seems to have a great knack for "fixing" hitters so far and I've heard nothing but positive feedback for him from players and the org.
I agree.... A different voice may be exactly what they need. I've always been a fan of promoting withing due to familiarity and especially when you have a candidate whose had success within the organization.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Murphy, the team isn't hitting... When the team isn't hitting, the hitting coach needs to be held accountable..

Old
06-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
this is the biggest reason I want to replace Murphy with him. Not just because I'm not a huge believer in Murphy's approach, but because I think Mottola has potential to be a great hitting coach at the major league level and I'd hate to see some other team around the league poach him before the Jays give him a shot at the big league level.
Unlikely Murphy gets replaced though... at least right now. Jays will probably look at runs scored and think this offense is good.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:22 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
What? That is exactly what Jose is doing, and he has been incredibly successful doing it. That said, Jose Bautista is a freak athlete, and should not be used as an example for anyone else, he is the rare 'one in a million' exception.
No at the start of the season he was swinging wildly at everything desperately trying to hit one out. He finally slowed his approach down and found his sweet swing and started looking for his pitch again.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:33 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Thats the thing this offense doesnt hit any doubles.
Right now we rank 29th in the league in total doubles hit. Really when you look past runs scored this offense is laughable in basically all the other offensive stats besides homeruns.

22nd in BA
22nd in OBP
17th in HITS
29th in 2B's

Its hard to be a team that bats .240 and doesnt take any walks.
We're like a basketball team that just jacks up 3's (golden state) but when the game gets slowed down (when we dont hit HR's) they cant execute.
Funny you mention that. I was shocked when the other night Jose hit his 8th 2B of the year. Yes, only 8.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Funny you mention that. I was shocked when the other night Jose hit his 8th 2B of the year. Yes, only 8.
He hit just 24 all last year too. He doesn't hit too many to the gaps because when he gets a hold off one, it goes out.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:41 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
We're a team full of pull hitters with Lawrie being the exception. Nothing is being driven to the gaps.

That comment from Murphy is shocking.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:41 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Did you read the article today on Adam Lind?
Some of the quotes and things he was saying were very interesting.

"That's something he preaches - that (homers) are a byproduct of a good swing," Lind said. "That's kind of why I'm in this whole mess. I kind of got obsessed with the home runs"

"I'll take my hits when I get them, and sometimes they'll go over the wall."

""I probably can't duplicate the success I've had here," he said. "But I definitely know I'll have better at-bats up there and do better than when I got sent down."

Someone can take that however they like but its interesting nontheless.
Cooper had the same issue. Tried to jack too many balls over the wall.

Had some sense talked into him. Motolla maybe? Hmmm I and many others have said it before, but he's gotta be the hitting coach soon. Like now. Or yesterday.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Scion

Quote:
Heres the link

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?...homeruns052610

The full quote

""I think on-base percentage is an overrated stat,” Murphy said flatly. “Those guys getting on base, most of them aren’t getting them in. Give me somebody who drives them in after that. I need guys who can drive the ball.”
That is a stupid remark, I can't defend that.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:46 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Just checked, we're 2nd last in the league in Doubles. Unless you're playing small ball, while getting guys on base (which we're clearly doing), this stat cannot stand much longer.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Kb21

wasn't there rumors of DM being fired last season, i believe he only kept his job because of what happened with jose. i'm sure if the jays fail to improve in OBP/AVG/K's he will be removed. AA doesn't strike me as a guy that likes DM's style and only kept him around because it was bringing fans to the ball park as this team started its long rebuild.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
No at the start of the season he was swinging wildly at everything desperately trying to hit one out. He finally slowed his approach down and found his sweet swing and started looking for his pitch again.
The difference between now and the beginning of the season is that Bautista has moved closer to the plate to better handle outside pitches, and he has improved his timing. Make no mistake though, Jose Bautista is still swinging for the fences every chance he gets.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:32 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

murphy got fired ?

Old
06-14-2012, 11:39 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
murphy got fired ?
no. We just all wish it'd happen.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:23 AM
ryno23

Quote:
no. We just all wish it'd happen.
If the Cubs can fire Rudy Jaramillo who is regarded by most baseball people as one of the best hitting coaches in the majors, I cannot see why AA would not try and bring in a new voice to wake these hitters up.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
If the Cubs can fire Rudy Jaramillo who is regarded by most baseball people as one of the best hitting coaches in the majors, I cannot see why AA would not try and bring in a new voice to wake these hitters up.
It's because another great tradition of baseball is that the head coach decides who all his assistants are...

When Beane was having troubles in Oakland, he actually had to threaten to fire his head coach to fix problems that his hitting coach was causing.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Bjindaho

I think the solution to our offense requires a couple of things...

1) Different approach - pull works for Bautista. Actual coaching would help everyone else.

2) Bunting - I'm not saying lay sac bunts like crazy, but can someone tell me why guys swing for the fences when the infield is back (especially Rajai). Bunt more and infields move in. Then when you swing for the fences, your ground balls might get through.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:49 AM
ryno23

I look at the Jays roster and see a team that should be playing gap to gap. Lawrie, Rasmus, Escobar, Johnson, Davis, Cooper should all be guys that work to get on base whether a walk or using the whole field to get hits not just looking to pull the ball out of the park. You then got JPA, Jose and EE that is your power and you can live with low BA but power numbers if the other 6 guys are all hitting over .270 and have on base at least .300.

Just see too many guys taking wild hacks for the HR and then falling behind 0-2 or 1-2 then just making enough contact not to strike out. How many weak pop up does this team hit or lazy foul outs.

I hope AA finally moves Mottola up to the Majors and lets him work with the hitters.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:24 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

this is all so sad

now watch the attendance drop another 5k per night

that's the real won-loss category

Closed Thread