HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/5)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Thanks RB, that was a good read
Yea...especially this part.

Brady Skjei — Univ. of Minnesota — NYR, 1st, 28, 2012 — There’s not a better skater among the defensemen in camp and that’s going to be a key tool for this team if Phil Housley wants an up-tempo attack. Skjei does his best work in the defensive zone and can shut down top forwards. His offense is at a decent enough level to be effective at the WJC level, particularly his ability to trigger the defense-to-offense transition. I think they’ll have a tough time keeping Skjei off the final roster no matter what. He has good size, plays smart and will be a weapon on international ice potentially.

Hope hes MCD pt 2.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

id have to think trouba jones skjei and murphy are locks. have no clue who else gets the other spots that's gotta be up in the air

Old
08-01-2012, 04:43 PM
cwede

guys - returing to the Oscar Linberg topic, while Jesper Fasth is expected to return to Sweden for a year, (Fasth is under contract and lost most of last season due to that injury), all indications are the Lindberg IS expected to play in North America this season

Old
08-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwede View Post
guys - returing to the Oscar Linberg topic, while Jesper Fasth is expected to return to Sweden for a year, (Fasth is under contract and lost most of last season due to that injury), all indications are the Lindberg IS expected to play in North America this season
He's also under contract for another year I believe, so I'd be curious to know where that is coming from.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:45 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
source? good news if true...wouldn't mind getting him into the ahl to adjust to n.a.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
What's the source on that? Good if true.

It's just pain.
Old
08-02-2012, 01:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Hockey USA split the forwards into blue and white teams

Fogarty is on team blue along with Skjei

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/...ECTeamBlue.pdf

Miller is on team white

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/...CTeamWhite.pdf

Profiles on team blue forwards today

Quote:
Steven Fogarty — Univ. of Notre Dame — NYR, 3rd, 72, 2011 — Fogarty is one of the players I’m most excited to see in camp after his 33-goal, 82-point season for Penticton in the BCHL last year. He has a big body at 6-2, 194. By most accounts, his development took a big step forward after moving on from Minnesota high school where his size allowed him to dominate. Fogarty can play well at both ends of the ice and if his two-way game from the BCHL translates to the jump in competition at the Junior camp, he could find himself in the conversation in December.
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...rds-team-blue/

Fogarty's buddy Mario Lucia is also on team blue. They were teammates at Penticton and will be teammates at Notre Dame.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:10 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Team white breakdown

Quote:
J.T. Miller — Plymouth Whalers — NYR, 1st, 15, 2011 — The only forward in camp that played in the 2012 World Junior Championship, Miller comes in with high expectations. Miller was inconsistent, as were most Team USA forwards at the WJC last year. Still, a year older and a year wiser, Miller should be able to step into a key role for this U.S. squad. He put up just better than a point-per-game last year in Plymouth. Miller will have to show the way in camp and should be counted on to be both productive and physical. Returnees are almost never kept home from the tournament and I would not expect Miller to be an exception. His WJC experience and skill-set are needed if the U.S. has plans on competing for a medal in Ufa.
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...ds-team-white/

Old
08-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
is it wrong that i read "Ufa" as Unrestricted Free Agent?

These message boards can really screw up your head.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Corey Pronman wrote about some of the players participating in the various camps this month in preparation for the WJC in December.

Quote:
Steven Fogarty, C, Notre Dame (NCAA)
3rd-round pick, 2011 draft, New York Rangers

Fogarty was a key piece for the Penticton Vees' record-breaking season in which they won 42 consecutive games and 54 overall. He's a smart player with size and some puck skills whose development took off this year. At the start of the season, I heard from a scout who questioned Fogarty's two-way play. A month later the same scout called him the team's best defensive center. He could be a tad quicker, though.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...-junior-action

Calle Andersson wasn't in the Swedish WJC camp so he won't be making the trip to Lake Placid

http://www.swehockey.se/ImageVaultFi...aug_2012_u.PDF

Old
08-03-2012, 12:32 AM
CM PUNK

love hearing about how much fogarty improved on the defensive side of the puck...hopefully between that and his size it will lead to a big role at ND as a freshman

Old
08-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Brock

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...k-rangers.html

Each day, I've been reviewing the progression of every NHL team's OHL prospects.

Today is the Rangers.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Each day, I've been reviewing the progression of every NHL team's OHL prospects.

Today is the Rangers.
Good write up, thanks.
I believe Miller's ELC will slide if he plays fewer than 10 games for the Rangers and spends the year
in the A as a 19 yo.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:42 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Today is the Rangers.
Great to hear your take on both Miller and Yogan.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:55 AM
NYR Viper

I really think Yogan and Thomas are the (2) young players with real shots of making the Rangers this season out of Training Camp. I don't think they will rush Miller as they want him to continue to round out his offensive game. Gaborik will be out. They will need a winger. Pyatt-Boyle-Yogan/Thomas?

Old
08-03-2012, 09:57 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I really think Yogan and Thomas are the (2) young players with real shots of making the Rangers this season out of Training Camp. I don't think they will rush Miller as they want him to continue to round out his offensive game. Gaborik will be out. They will need a winger. Pyatt-Boyle-Yogan/Thomas?
If thomas was ready I think it would be him. But I don't think he is.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I wouldn't be upset if Yogan earned a spot on the 3rd line. I'd hope that if Thomas won a spot, he'd be getting a solid crack on the 2nd PP unit at least.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:28 AM
NYR Viper

Yeah, I think Thomas would have to get PP time. I know Torts mentioned him by name in last years TC. The organization seems/seemed high on him. I would think that with Gaborik out it may be a good opportunity for a young guy to come up and play for a couple of months. Maybe give a couple of guys a shot on the 3rd line with Boyle and Pyatt considering Hagelin will most likely be the player bumped up to the top-6.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I wouldn't be upset if Yogan earned a spot on the 3rd line. I'd hope that if Thomas won a spot, he'd be getting a solid crack on the 2nd PP unit at least.
With his shot and ability to find space, I can't imagine he wouldn't get some PP time.

RANGERS =
Old
08-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Having a right-handed trigger on the PP would certainly make it more dangerous. I think Thomas is going to need some AHL seasoning. He needs to learn how to play against men and he can adapt his game better in Connecticut than he can in NY.

Old
08-03-2012, 03:49 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Thomas has a lot of Skinner in him. The kid can score any kind of goal. He's a rarity for a guy his size. Usually, smallish players on the wing need a pinpoint passer and get a lot of tap-ins. Not Thomas.

You can say he was one of the best pure scorers in the CHL between '10-'12.

I think he gets overlooked by some people. I loved who his Dad was as a player. He comes from good stock and is in an organizatin that knows how to transition guys from amateurs to the pros.

Old
08-04-2012, 01:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

A Swedish hockey blog is looking at every team in the SEL and ranking each player

Quote:
Score 5:
- European top players who are given in a top European World Cup team or a player with the capacity to alone can carry a team to success.
Score 4:
- Players of the top European national teams class that can reach a top European World Cup squad if he has a good season and who can fill an important key role in an elite serielag in a good way.
Score 3:
- Good league player who is not not enough for a top European World Cup squad but is good class in the Elite League.
Score 2:
- Players who are league approved class but not good enough for a prominent role. Here is also where all unestablished juniors.
Rating 1
- Senior Players that I think they are not platsar at league level.
Calle Andersson

Quote:
Andersson Calle 2
- Very clever game 18-year-old who is under development. Good on the power and good at carrying the puck and is widely active in the game with the puck. It remains to be seen how much playing time he could possibly get in the Elite League now. Is large and heavy, but has a slightly angular skating so far. Draft Was the Rangers last summer.
http://translate.googleusercontent.c..._xwKBiy7FLC_kw

Andersson didn't play a game in the Elite league in 11-12.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=30181

Oscar Klefbom was given a 3.

Quote:
4 Fasth Jesper
- Promising Swedish forward who may have a future in the NHL. Missed much of last season because of a fotbrott but scored 16 points in the 21 games he played. Plays very hard at high speed while he is technically proficient and a good finisher. I work hard too. Feels more or less regular in the squad.
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...yQpB062MEXj8fg

No scouting report on Lindberg yet.

Old
08-04-2012, 02:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Got to watch out for those "fotbrott"s.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Julie is at Lake Placid for the US camp. The first scrimmage was yesterday. They have another scrimmage today at 4pm.

Quote:
With eight defensemen on each team (Jacob Trouba sat out this game) it was hard to get a good read on them because you didn't see them as much as you normally would, but I was a big fan of what Matt Grzelcyk (NTDP - BOS) and Brady Skjei (NTDP - NYR) were bringing to the blueline. They had great puck movement, played with confidence and made smart decisions. They have an advantage because they played together last year and already have chemistry, but if it ain't broke….
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...Msyz0c.twitter

Old
08-05-2012, 04:40 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I'm watching the US WJC Blue/White Scrimmage.

Skjei is not dressed. They haven't said why but being that the other Dman not dressed is Seth Jones (an absolute lock for the team) I wouldn't read a ton into it.

Miller is his usual self. Hard on the forecheck, has thrown 2-3 big hits already. He had a beautiful primary assist on White's second goal (it's 2-2 after 1); worked the cycle, got the puck at the left half-boards, realized the D was cheating in and he had time, walked around the right winger covering him in to the left slot, faked a shot, slid a beauty cross-crease pass right onto Matteau's tape.

Fogarty had a semi-breakaway on his first shift but got caught by a defenseman with a desperation poke check. Dug a puck out behind the net and fed a defensemen pinching in but the dman lost it in his skates. Looked good on the forecheck and defensively, but did not see too much ice time.

On a non-NYR note Sean Kuraly is the player of the period. 2 goals (one was a snipe), explosive speed, two-way center. San Jose 5th round pick.

More to come.