HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alexander Steen

Old
05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Alexander Steen

What could this guy bring back in a trade?

STL would be looking for an upgrade type move at the center/LHD position.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:51 PM
CarvinSigX

I don't think he's movable. If one of Perron/McDonald goes down, Schwartz would be forced into a top 6 role. Maybe in 2 years or so he could be shopped, but now is not the time since Tarasenko probably isn't coming over.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I don't think he's movable. If one of Perron/McDonald goes down, Schwartz would be forced into a top 6 role. Maybe in 2 years or so he could be shopped, but now is not the time since Tarasenko probably isn't coming over.
I don't think he is necessarily movable either, but if the right deal came along...

Also, I want to hear what fans from other teams think of him.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
He can't be shopped in 2 years, because he'll be a UFA then. He's making $3.5m/yr, and he'll likely command about $3m on his next contract. I don't picture STL re-signing him then, so you may as well trade him now while his value is high, and while he has two more years on his deal. Trading him with an expiring contract next year also diminishes the return you'd get.

I can't start threads here since I'm new, but I have a proposal in my mind that would send Steen to PHX. I can post it here at some point if you like, but I'd also like to see what fans of other teams have to say first.

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
He can't be shopped in 2 years, because he'll be a UFA then. He's making $3.5m/yr, and he'll likely command about $3m on his next contract. I don't picture STL re-signing him then, so you may as well trade him now while his value is high, and while he has two more years on his deal. Trading him with an expiring contract next year also diminishes the return you'd get.

I can't start threads here since I'm new, but I have a proposal in my mind that would send Steen to PHX. I can post it here at some point if you like, but I'd also like to see what fans of other teams have to say first.
I think he will command over $3M easily on his next contract (around $4M IMO), especially if he keep putting up nearly 50pt seasons.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:52 PM
dkollidas

From the Sabres, maybe something around Leopold, along with a forward like Gerbe? Can he play in a top-6 role? Or is he more bottom-6? Also, I know he's played both wings, but saw him listed as a center, does he play center as well?

dkollidas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
From the Sabres, maybe something around Leopold, along with a forward like Gerbe? Can he play in a top-6 role? Or is he more bottom-6? Also, I know he's played both wings, but saw him listed as a center, does he play center as well?
Steen is primarily a LWer. He is most certainly a top six caliber player. He has very good speed, a hard work ethic, a solid shot, a leader, and excellent two-way play. It is honestly hard to find a knock on the guy.

If Steen were traded it would be for a better player. He would be the major part of a package for that player. Being such, a trade around Leopold would not draw much love from Blues fans.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
He's not really a Center, no. What makes him valuable is that he can play LW or RW on any of the Top 3 lines - and it seems like he's done so in his career in STL.

I saw plenty of Sabres games this year, and it seems like your greatest strength is your depth on D, especially on the left side. LD is our biggest need at the moment, so I'm intrigued by Leopold. He'd be a great replacement for Jackman, if he doesn't re-sign, but then Leopold is a UFA next summer, and we might be in the same situation. I'd love to have Sekera, but I wouldn't ask you to trade him, since he's more valuable in BUF.

Our only other real need is depth at center. Trading Steen is not going to land us a #1C, but I'd be happy with a solid #3 that could develop into a #2 if the need arose. Roy's salary (and expiring contract) kinda scare me, but I'd definitely be interested in Luke Adam.

Something like Steen + 2nd rd pick for Leopold and Adam would be fine by me - would BUF accept that?

Old
05-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:

You way undervalue Steen. If he has an injury free season his numbers will be amazing. He will lead our team in +-. He will easily get over $3m on hit next contract. Why would STL not re-sign one of the most versatile players in the league? im against reading that player shouldnt be traded unless its over payment but Steen definately is a player every team would love to have. He is a coach's dream player for every team. Works hard, plays both sides of the puck, never gives up, he fast, can score, makes plays, backcheck, you only have to tell him once, i could go on and on.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:28 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:

Contract or not, I wouldn't shop him until we know what's going on with Schwartz. Steen has an A for a reason and will be re-signed if the cost is similar.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Man, I miss steen so much, he is such a solid cerebral player that would have been deadly on our 2nd line if he was still here. I would love to trade back for him but we don't have the attractive pieces for Blues to consider trading him.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:41 PM
BlueDream

Good grief. Steen is not being traded. He's one of our core players.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

I like Steen, I do. I'd hate to trade him.

But the question of "Should we trade Steen?" should be reserved for the Blues section of HFBoards.

With this being the "Trade/Free Agent" section, the OP question was what we could get for him, and I'm evaluating him and simply throwing out suggestions. The sad part is that we're really not hearing from fans of OTHER teams, which isn't helping with the OP's question.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

If I had Steen, I wouldn't even consider trading him.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
If I had Steen, I wouldn't even consider trading him.
On behalf of your team, and for the sake of this thread, what would you be willing to trade in order to acquire the services of Mr. Steen? Mind you, we really only need help at C and LD, preferably those that have some NHL experience.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:16 PM
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver

How about something based around Liles? What would the plus be?

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
I like Steen, I do. I'd hate to trade him.

But the question of "Should we trade Steen?" should be reserved for the Blues section of HFBoards.

With this being the "Trade/Free Agent" section, the OP question was what we could get for him, and I'm evaluating him and simply throwing out suggestions. The sad part is that we're really not hearing from fans of OTHER teams, which isn't helping with the OP's question.
Value-wise, I had say someone like Vlasic from Sharks would be fair for Steen because both are too much of a valuable and core peice to their respective franchise that are great at what they bring to the table.

And it would also help out both sides since Sharks are looking for a good two-way scoring winger like Steen and Blues would fill a huge help getting a guy who has next to offence but near flawless defensive game to help out Peitrangelo and form a great back-end.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:38 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
Value-wise, I had say someone like Vlasic from Sharks would be fair for Steen because both are too much of a valuable and core peice to their respective franchise that are great at what they bring to the table.

And it would also help out both sides since Sharks are looking for a good two-way scoring winger like Steen and Blues would fill a huge help getting a guy who has next to offence but near flawless defensive game to help out Peitrangelo and form a great back-end.
Wow. I'd have to think long and hard about a trade with Steen and Vlasic being the principles. Steen is the winger I'd least want to trade from our surplus. But I love me some Pickles, and have him near the top of my list for ideal partners for Pietrangelo. I'd have to imagine that Vlasic has a bit more value than Steen, so I could see some picks being used to even it out. Something like Steen + 2nd for Vlasic + 3rd.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALTALK81 View Post
How about something based around Liles? What would the plus be?
Bozak?
Honestly, I think Liles is a much better fit in TOR, where he can mentor Gardiner. We'd need someone more defensive-minded with size. Plus, he just signed a 4-year extension, so you might as well keep him. I think Blues fans would be more interested in Gunnarsson than Liles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
Value-wise, I had say someone like Vlasic from Sharks would be fair for Steen because both are too much of a valuable and core piece to their respective franchise that are great at what they bring to the table.

I think most Blues fans would love to have Vlasic, myself included. In a straight swap for Steen? I could be talked into that. But I doubt the SJ fans would take it.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

I think the Blues should trade Schwartz before Steener. It might hurt us down the line with McDonald a UFA after next season, and there is no guarantee he is back for several potential health and money related issues. Oshie could easily slide over to the left wing, but it would leave our team very thin on playmakers.

So much also depends on if Tarasenko comes over. If he does, it makes Stewart the extendable one. Dagostini too, although I think the Blues might consider keeping him because he will be cheaper.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
I think the Blues should trade Schwartz before Steener. It might hurt us down the line with McDonald a UFA after next season, and there is no guarantee he is back for several potential health and money related issues. Oshie could easily slide over to the left wing, but it would leave our team very thin on playmakers.
We have TWO playmakers on our team: one has a history of injuries (including concussions) and will be a 36-year-old UFA next summer; the other missed more than an entire season with a concussion of his own and is still finding his form. Maybe I have a soft spot for him since I met him when he got drafted, but I seriously hope we don't consider trading Schwartz - especially since we haven't even really gotten to see what all he can do. I do agree that Oshie could slide to LW, if need be.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:44 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
What could this guy bring back in a trade?

STL would be looking for an upgrade type move at the center/LHD position.
I see this alot and i just don't understand it.
How can you expect to trade a player and get an upgrade for him.
Isn't that like here's a 50 cent piece so give me a dollar for it.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Schwartz is a good guy so theoretically what would be the asking price from Leafs?

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
I see this alot and i just don't understand it.
How can you expect to trade a player and get an upgrade for him.
Isn't that like here's a 50 cent piece so give me a dollar for it.
Well I did say a center or LHD, which Steen is neither.

If I must, some example of upgrade trades the ones involving: Pronger, Carter, Richards, Heatley, Jack Johnson, Luongo, Hossa, Chelios, Bourque, Mogilny, Amonte, etc.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:43 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
On behalf of your team, and for the sake of this thread, what would you be willing to trade in order to acquire the services of Mr. Steen? Mind you, we really only need help at C and LD, preferably those that have some NHL experience.
Unfortuantely the Islanders have the same problems, so there's nothing I can offer that would be fair for both teams.

Polak would be a good pick up for us though, is he available?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote