HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2012, 04:55 PM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 140
going to see the Royals/Blazers game on friday, stoked to see how Colin Smith plays.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:15 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Duncan Siemens officially out as Blades captain.

Brenden Walker takes over for 2012-13 as a 20 year old.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:36 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Bye Stefan Elliott

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Duncan Siemens officially out as Blades captain.

Brenden Walker takes over for 2012-13 as a 20 year old.
why do you think he was stripped? is this walker character just a born leader, or was the C too much for duncan?

Old
09-28-2012, 08:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
why do you think he was stripped? is this walker character just a born leader, or was the C too much for duncan?
Many reasons. I've talked to Duncan about it alot. He's obviously not pleased and is more embarrassed than anything.

Do I think giving him the C as a very young 18 year old last year was too much responsibility? Maybe a little bit.

But there were other things that went with it last season. He was late for team meetings and stuff on more than one occasion. That's a tough way to gain respect. He knows he ****ed up in those situations and hopefully learned from it.

He also butted heads with a few teammates, no just him against them all, there just was never a great team atmosphere in the room last year.

In the end I'm not shocked at all this change happened. I'm sure Duncan will still wear an A, but if I had to choose anyone as captain, it would be Brenden Walker. He's a hard working veteran with Memorial Cup experience.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Many reasons. I've talked to Duncan about it alot. He's obviously not pleased and is more embarrassed than anything.

Do I think giving him the C as a very young 18 year old last year was too much responsibility? Maybe a little bit.

But there were other things that went with it last season. He was late for team meetings and stuff on more than one occasion. That's a tough way to gain respect. He knows he ****ed up in those situations and hopefully learned from it.

He also butted heads with a few teammates, no just him against them all, there just was never a great team atmosphere in the room last year.

In the end I'm not shocked at all this change happened. I'm sure Duncan will still wear an A, but if I had to choose anyone as captain, it would be Brenden Walker. He's a hard working veteran with Memorial Cup experience.
He's going to bust so hard.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:26 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
He's going to bust so hard.
Pretty stupid thing to say, if you ask me. I would 100% respect that opinion if you had any type of valid reasoning for it or had many viewings of him to back it up.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Canuckman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Nigel Williams and Colby Cohen are NHL ready.
HAven' seen Nigel play for a while but Colby, for an ofensive dman, hasn't really put up the points as expected. His defensive game still has to improve a lot before he is NHL ready. He needs at least one more year in the minors. Kind of reminds me of Matt Gilroy, from BU also. Were offensive dynamos in college but haven't made a great transition to the pro game.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:48 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanRCN View Post
going to see the Royals/Blazers game on friday, stoked to see how Colin Smith plays.
My friend just won the John Fogerty tickets from that game haha.

Old
09-29-2012, 03:56 AM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
My friend just won the John Fogerty tickets from that game haha.
Thats awesome! I have a buddy going to that concert. Needless to say I'm a little jealous.

For what I saw of Smith today, the kid has wheels! other than that it wasn't a spectacular game for him, although he had a nice assist if I saw correctly

Old
09-29-2012, 11:55 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Pretty stupid thing to say, if you ask me. I would 100% respect that opinion if you had any type of valid reasoning for it or had many viewings of him to back it up.
Don't worry about hek, he is the most pessimistic poster on these boards.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:39 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Don't worry about hek, he is the most pessimistic poster on these boards.
I would give that award to Drizzt1 or Mouse21.

Old
09-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Foppa2118

I love when people are so hard up to defend players against any negative comment, that they can't spot an obvious joke.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:13 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
all humor has evaporated from these boards

because Joey Hishon is a bust.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:59 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Have had the chance to watch Avs prospect Troy Bourke the last two nights. Kid looks good. Very smart, excellent hockey sense. Good on draws, looks like skating has improved too.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Did Siemens get an "A"?

Old
10-02-2012, 10:35 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Nope, Sutter and Benson got them. Don't know if it's going to be rotated.

Old
10-02-2012, 06:40 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Dietz and Nicholls will wear them at home. Sutter and Benson will wear them on the road.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:40 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I was watching the Blades today and I must say that Siemens had a really solid game. His biggest improvement so far has been his decision making with the puck. But there was more, his first pass was very good and his poke checking was superb. Only knock I saw in the game was his body position and hesitation to go after the puck or not n certain situations.

Also Sutter had a fantastic game, probably was the best player on the ice. I would love to know what the difference between him and Heard is, because if Heard is anything like him then we got a good player.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I was watching the Blades today and I must say that Siemens had a really solid game. His biggest improvement so far has been his decision making with the puck. But there was more, his first pass was very good and his poke checking was superb. Only knock I saw in the game was his body position and hesitation to go after the puck or not n certain situations.

Also Sutter had a fantastic game, probably was the best player on the ice. I would love to know what the difference between him and Heard is, because if Heard is anything like him then we got a good player.
I agree, Sutter was fantastic last night. Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was here for the game, too.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Here's an article on Siemens no longer being the captain:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...739/story.html

Very disappointing. I hope they trade him to another team and then fail miserably.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:40 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

Very disappointing. I hope they trade him to another team and then fail miserably.
Sounds to me like he lost it on his own accord.

Old
10-04-2012, 04:14 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

It seems like Siemens needs to grow up a bit. The pressure last year of taking over the team was probably too much too soon for him, and he made some mistakes. From the sounds of that article he is still making some of them. It is hard to imagine that there isn't some animosity from Siemens directed at the Blades' management. Even if he wouldn't say it publicly. He won't get traded, but I am not sure that that wouldn't be the best thing for him long term. Hopefully he has learned some lessons and will mature over the season.

If he ends up busting, it will only because of his actions, not his talent IMO. From the little I have seen of him (~15 games total) he looks like he is destined to be a shut down top 4 guy at the very least, and he posses the talent to be much more than that.

Old
10-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
I completely agree. I just don't want one of our top prospects playing in a poor environment, even if he was the one who created the problems with his immaturity. It can't be good for his development if he has some hard feelings towards the coach, management, and organization he plays for.

The part about wanting them to fail miserably was just to piss RS off.

Old
10-04-2012, 07:11 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Quote:
I completely agree. I just don't want one of our top prospects playing in a poor environment, even if he was the one who created the problems with his immaturity. It can't be good for his development if he has some hard feelings towards the coach, management, and organization he plays for.

The part about wanting them to fail miserably was just to piss RS off.
Ok, I need to address a few things here.

First of all that 'article' was an opinion piece by our local beat writer. It's off base and he's simply wrong with how things have gone with the change in captains on the team.

Stuff like this:

Quote:
Walker taking the C away from Siemens seemed like a big problem initially. But with Siemens not being an alternate captain, that problem potentially just got bigger.
..is totally unfounded and not true.

The author of the article has taken a ton of heat from people around the team. The morning it came out, our trainer (who is a father figure to the players) called out the writer to his face and said he was WAY off base with his piece...which he is.

Not only that, but several of the players have ZERO interest in speaking to the reporter anymore, including Siemens. And that's fine, that's his opinion on the matter. He feels as if it's a personal attack and that the author is basically making the problem worse by simply posting what he "thinks" is going on inside the room.

Not only is Siemens not getting a letter NOT a distraction, it could be seen as a good thing. Duncan has been great in the last few games since this all happened and has seemed much happier just to be at the rink and around the guys without the added pressure.

He took the decision hard, but anyone would, and he's not letting it affect him or the team. Is it a tough lesson to learn? Absolutely, but it might just be the thing he needed after a pretty mediocre season as a whole last year.

As for Siemens 'losing it on his own accord', that is definitely not true. Yes, he did things like be late for team meetings a few times and that fueled the fire in the lockerroom, but there was a butting of heads between several of the 'leaders' on the team last year and Siemens ended up falling on the sword for it this season. Like I said, some of that was his fault and he's the first to admit it.

There are ZERO hard feelings from Duncan towards management or his teammates. There are ZERO hard feelings from his teammates toward Duncan. There are ZERO hard feelings from management toward Duncan. This decision isn't going to hurt the Blades now, in 2 months or hurt Duncan's development. Like I've said, it might end up being the best thing for him...it definitely has been so far.

Old
10-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Zandar

RS

Thanks for the follow-up. People need to understand that they could be reading the junior hockey version of Mark Kiszla sometimes. They also need some understanding of Duncan's situation. We are talking about a just turned 18 year old who signs his first multi million dollar NHL contract right after being drafted being asked to captain his team. That is a lot of change to a person's environment all in a short period of time. When you have a lot going on, it's always best to get back to basics whether you are a 19 year old hockey player or not.

Last edited by Zandar: 10-04-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Closed Thread