HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Why do you like Beaupre so much Lonewolfe? I'm just curious.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Why do you like Beaupre so much Lonewolfe? I'm just curious.
I have a soft spot for defenders. I coach hockey and coach a defensive style which relies on kids who know how to backcheck and play positionally. I've also been teaching my younger brother how to play defense for the past few years (some idiot coach decided to put him there because he was the biggest kid on the team even though he had no idea what to do, so I intervened and started coaching his teams and teaching him).

It's less to do with scouting than it is personal preferences and a gut feeling. Seeing as I can't watch the Q and all, I would if I had access to CHL hockey.

I tend to pick personal favorites when it comes to prospects every year, 'my guys' are Lander, Watson and Siemens atm (all picked pre-draft, months in advance).

There's some method to my madness, but not much.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Thanks for your response.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:07 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Loanwolfe does indeed. I noticed that he was on their camp roster and got sent down to the Cutthroats. Thought it was odd he'd be sent to whatever league they are (IHL, OHL, ECHL?) instead of used as an overager in the Q, unless I don't understand their rules that is.

I still have a high belief that Beaupre is going to claw his way up to the NHL in the future and be a bottom pairing shutdown guy for us.
I agree. I have watched probably 20 games of his and he looks like he can be a O'Byrne light sort of player.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
With a fairly high degree of certainty Elliott is not a top 20 prospect in the NHL, we can safely assume no Avalanche will have their name in HF's top 50 prospects list, further cementing my belief that it is ridiculous HF is regarded as a central source for prospect information by those less informed (in the past, myself included).

I've started to learn to let go, but what a joke.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:38 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
With a fairly high degree of certainty Elliott is not a top 20 prospect in the NHL, we can safely assume no Avalanche will have their name in HF's top 50 prospects list, further cementing my belief that it is ridiculous HF is regarded as a central source for prospect information by those less informed (in the past, myself included).

There are I number of players on the list so far that I would take Elliott over. He is severely underrated by HF IMO. I have to admit though that I am probably a bit biased for him and see his potential in a more positive light than some. I see Elliott as a guy who if everything goes perfect is a dynamic #2 offensive defensemen that can QB a top power play unit. If everything doesn't, but he still develops like he should I see him as a middle pairing guy who can still play top power play minutes and chip in 10-12 goals 20-25 assists.

Old
10-11-2012, 02:04 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Bye Stefan Elliott

watched troy bourke play for the first time last night, he looked really good, reminded me alot of patrick kane, minus the speed, even had his mouthgaurd halfway out of his mouth for most of the game, slick hands, made alot of nice stickhandling moves, and was very good defensively, made next to no mistakes, will be interesting watching his progress.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:24 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
watched troy bourke play for the first time last night, he looked really good, reminded me alot of patrick kane, minus the speed, even had his mouthgaurd halfway out of his mouth for most of the game, slick hands, made alot of nice stickhandling moves, and was very good defensively, made next to no mistakes, will be interesting watching his progress.
Have seen him play 2-3 times this year and I have also been very pleased with his play so far. Such a smart player in all zones, always in the right spot. Has also been playing only C after being listed as both a C and LW much of last season and before. Gritty kid and offence has also improved this year so far.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:03 PM
electricjib

Collin Smith seems like a player to watch.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Zandar

Quote:

Yes it's best to let go. I mean not every Avs prospect can be the next Abdelkader or even Ryno. The fact they toss out high ratings for most other teams' players while the Avs lack quality goaltending (oddly the one area they actually rate all 7s in) and have tons of 6.0 and 6.5 players. I'm sure Abdelkader will live up to his borderline first line expectations (7.5) and Ryno will one day be the supreme scoring line winger he was expected when the Wings drafted him so we have no room to compare and complain. I just wish they would decide if Smith is a top 4 D as their articles mention or a first pairing elite talent as their rating says (8.0). The Avs can only hope to one day have the overhyped depth such teams like Detroit have.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:21 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
I haven't been able to watch any of our draft picks from this year but their stats look pretty good.

Mitchell Heard - 1 A in 2 GP
Troy Bourke - 2G 5A 7P in 8GP after a slow start (statistically) to the season for him.
Michael Clarke - 5G 2A 7P in 9GP
Joseph Blandisi - 3G 3A 6P in 7GP
Colin Smith - 4G 11A 15P in 8GP

and I know he is not really our prospect but J.C. Lipon is doing really well.

J.C. Lipon - 7G 11A 18P in 8GP

Old
10-13-2012, 10:43 PM
CAF1837

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I haven't been able to watch any of our draft picks from this year but their stats look pretty good.
Here are all prospect stats along with Avs in Europe for the lockout (updated hourly).

LINK

Old
10-13-2012, 11:06 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post

Mitchell Heard - 1 A in 2 GP
Troy Bourke - 2G 5A 7P in 8GP after a slow start (statistically) to the season for him.
Michael Clarke - 5G 2A 7P in 9GP
Joseph Blandisi - 3G 3A 6P in 7GP
Colin Smith - 4G 11A 15P in 8GP

and I know he is not really our prospect but J.C. Lipon is doing really well.

J.C. Lipon - 7G 11A 18P in 8GP
Whats the deal with JC Lipon? I saw him listed under Avs control somewhere.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
we invited him to camp but no he's not our prospect
with how well he's playing i hope he'll be invited next year but unfortunately there will probably be a lot more interest in him from other teams

Old
10-14-2012, 12:35 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
we invited him to camp but no he's not our prospect
with how well he's playing i hope he'll be invited next year but unfortunately there will probably be a lot more interest in him from other teams
He's still NHL Draft eligible and at this point I have to imagine he'll get drafted in the 5th round or so.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:12 PM
ScotAv

Just been reading over the Siemens stuff after I saw his appreciation thread pop up again....

I feel like RS is perhaps insinuating that perhaps some of Duncans teammates are perhaps to blame slightly for the loss of the C? Not as in they particularly did anything but they perhaps made it quite difficult for him? Again, not as a slight against Duncan or his leadership skills as such, but perhaps the room is not quite at ease generally rather than particularly with Duncan?

I get the feeling that RS is trying to highlight that whilst Duncan has to take his share of the blame. Perhaps others played a part of it also?

Yes. Deliberate overuse of perhaps.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:55 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He's still NHL Draft eligible and at this point I have to imagine he'll get drafted in the 5th round or so.
Avs seemed to like him enough to invite him to training camp, meaning there should be a decent percentage of us drafting him.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:05 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Avs seemed to like him enough to invite him to training camp, meaning there should be a decent percentage of us drafting him.
Agreed, although I could see another team doing the same. Although I could see the Avs spending an early round pick to nab him. I think there best bet would possibly be to just sign him if they like him? Is that something they can even do?

Old
10-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I'm not sure but I think we can only invite him to camp/sign him if he goes undrafted, not before

Old
10-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I'm not sure but I think we can only invite him to camp/sign him if he goes undrafted, not before
And he was undrafted, which is why we invited him to camp.
Sgarbossa was signed by the Sharks despite being an 18-year old so it can happen.

Don't know how the situation works out now with the lock-out and the dates when people have to be signed and such things.

I doubt the Avs will offer him a contract when(if) the season starts but if he has another solid year I could see the Avs taking him after the 2nd round (if he isn't snatched before that by another team)

Old
10-14-2012, 06:38 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotAv View Post
Just been reading over the Siemens stuff after I saw his appreciation thread pop up again....

I feel like RS is perhaps insinuating that perhaps some of Duncans teammates are perhaps to blame slightly for the loss of the C? Not as in they particularly did anything but they perhaps made it quite difficult for him? Again, not as a slight against Duncan or his leadership skills as such, but perhaps the room is not quite at ease generally rather than particularly with Duncan?

I get the feeling that RS is trying to highlight that whilst Duncan has to take his share of the blame. Perhaps others played a part of it also?

Yes. Deliberate overuse of perhaps.
Yep, I think you're pretty accurate in summing up what I've said.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:31 AM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Agreed, although I could see another team doing the same. Although I could see the Avs spending an early round pick to nab him. I think there best bet would possibly be to just sign him if they like him? Is that something they can even do?
There was a small window where undrafted players, who were still eligible to be drafted, could be signed. Lipon is eligible for 2013 still and should go around the 4th round. Depending where the Avs finish and how high they are on Lipon, they could use their third rounder or even move an asset for a pick to nab him with. Can't see him making it to free agency as an undrafted player.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Just something interesting of note. Of the Top 5 point leaders for the WHL only 1 of them has been drafted. Our prospect, Colin Smith is that one guy. Don't know exactly what it means but that's kinda interesting in my eyes.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:56 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

That line with Lipon is just a beast on the powerplay.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Both Heard and Smith were overagers when Avs drafted them. With just seven rounds, I think we'll see more and more players like that. Tanner Pearson was drafted in the first round this summer, for example.

Closed Thread