HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 11:51 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I was able to watch a few Saskatoon games last night that I held off since the start of the semester and one area he has improved in has been his shot blocking department. There were 3-5 key blocks per game that could've been goals or good scoring chances for opposing teams.

Also RS, I don't get why you think Siemens passing is bad. I do agree he tries to force the pass at times, but he always makes a fantastic first passes and has the ability for the long stretch pass as well.

Last edited by S E P H: 02-12-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I was able to watch a few Saskatoon games last night that I held off since the start of the semester and one area he has improved in his shot blocking department. There were 3-5 key blocks that could've been goals or good scoring chances for opposing teams.

Also RS, I don't get why you think Siemens passing is bad. I do agree he tries to force the pass at times, but he always makes a fantastic first passes and has the ability for the long stretch pass as well.
Maybe it depends if you watch every game, I know I don't but of the times I have seen him, I agree with you SEPH that he does make a very good breakout pass out of the zone and his stretch passes actually surprised me on more than one occasion.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:45 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
I was able to watch a few Saskatoon games last night that I held off since the start of the semester and one area he has improved in has been his shot blocking department. There were 3-5 key blocks per game that could've been goals or good scoring chances for opposing teams.

It's definitely his biggest weakness right now and an area that I could see holding him back from making a very quick jump to the NHL.

He passes the puck WAY too hard, way too often. It's almost as if he doesn't have a filter in his brain that tells him when to fire a pass and when to just gently get one to a nearby teammate. It could be an area that won't be as noticeable once he's playing pro, because AHL and NHL guys will simply pass the puck harder. But, he still doesn't seem to realize that on short little touch passes he doesn't need to wire it to his teammates.

And as for his long stretch passes, they are good from time to time but usually at least once a game he will just fire a long pass up that misses his target by 4 or 5 feet. Just nowhere close. He has also had some weird long passes that are 3 or 4 feet off the ground and just go for icings.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
It's definitely his biggest weakness right now and an area that I could see holding him back from making a very quick jump to the NHL.

He passes the puck WAY too hard, way too often. It's almost as if he doesn't have a filter in his brain that tells him when to fire a pass and when to just gently get one to a nearby teammate. It could be an area that won't be as noticeable once he's playing pro, because AHL and NHL guys will simply pass the puck harder. But, he still doesn't seem to realize that on short little touch passes he doesn't need to wire it to his teammates.

And as for his long stretch passes, they are good from time to time but usually at least once a game he will just fire a long pass up that misses his target by 4 or 5 feet. Just nowhere close. He has also had some weird long passes that are 3 or 4 feet off the ground and just go for icings.
Sounds like he will fit right in

Old
02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

^ LOL.

Quote:

Wouldn't that be his shot? Thanks for the info.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Whats up with Elliott down in Lake Erie?

I don't think he's played a game for a while now, or at least he hasn't been on the score sheet.

Another injury to add to the very small list?

Last edited by Pierce Hawthorne: 02-12-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Whats up with Elliott down in Lake Erie?

I don't think he's palyed a game for a while now, or at least he hasn't been on the score sheet.

Another injury to add to the very small list?
I think it's a head injury...he tweeted the other day that he was watching Grey's Anatomy, so that's how I made the diagnosis.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:55 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I think it's a head injury...he tweeted the other day that he was watching Grey's Anatomy, so that's how I made the diagnosis.
He also likes to watch the O.C.

Seriously though he has a knee injury.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Very good, so in the system we have Hishon and Elliott injured to go along with the 7-8 guys potentially injured on the big squad.

I hate blaming losses on injuries as much as the next guy, but this is just comical.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
^ LOL.

Wouldn't that be his shot? Thanks for the info.
I wouldn't say so. He's got a hard shot, but a shot is more essential for a guy you would expect to be some sort of offensive defenceman. Even your run of the mill D need to be able to make a good pass on a consistent basis in order to have a long and successful career.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:36 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I wouldn't say so. He's got a hard shot, but a shot is more essential for a guy you would expect to be some sort of offensive defenceman. Even your run of the mill D need to be able to make a good pass on a consistent basis in order to have a long and successful career.
I kind of disagree with you here. Yes offensive defensemen (& Two-way D) need good shots, but Siemens's is like below, below average of a shutdown defenseman.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
I kind of disagree with you here. Yes offensive defensemen (& Two-way D) need good shots, but Siemens's is like below, below average of a shutdown defenseman.
I would disagree and look back at my 180+ viewings of him to back up my thoughts. He's got an extremely hard shot, it's just not all that accurate and he's not great at getting it off quickly.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:08 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

As for his game last night, I might have jinxed Siemens. Was probably his worst game since mid-November, but the team still won (their 9th in a row) and he didn't get burned at all by Adam Lowry. He just had a couple of plays where he overhandled the puck and made some bad decisions. Really not big complaints, but just things that weren't as strong as usual for him.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I would disagree and look back at my 180+ viewings of him to back up my thoughts. He's got an extremely hard shot, it's just not all that accurate and he's not great at getting it off quickly.
And Dater watches every Avs game live in person, and is wrong about almost everything.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:25 AM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Very good, so in the system we have Hishon and Elliott injured to go along with the 7-8 guys potentially injured on the big squad.

I hate blaming losses on injuries as much as the next guy, but this is just comical.
No, I think it's very fair to blame this entire season on injuries. If not we would have been a playoff team for sure. Plain and simple.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
And Dater watches every Avs game live in person, and is wrong about almost everything.
Haha, exactly. People think stating they've seen someone live gives them infallibility. It's helpful, but it's by far the most overrated thing on this board.

How many professional scouts, NHL coaches, NHL GM's, and highly respected hockey people have seen a young prospect and simply been wrong? Let alone someone with substantially less, or no qualifications.

Senile 80 year old season ticket holders have seen players play hundreds of time, it doesn't mean anything in and of itself.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:27 AM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
No, I think it's very fair to blame this entire season on injuries. If not we would have been a playoff team for sure. Plain and simple.
Heavily disagree. Don't think we would have made the playoffs with this division heavy schedule under Sacco.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Barklez

Quote:
And Dater is a ****** beat writer that knows jack-all about hockey. I have no reason to doubt the Blades colour guy, who does some scouting on the side, and has been pretty spot on about a lot of WHL prospects the last couple of years. Don't know why we need to compare him the know-nothing tit that is Adrian Dater just because he happens to disagree with you (knowing nothing about you or your qualifications).

Old
02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
You don't think RS can accurately report something as BASIC as if Siemens has a hard shot or not compared to the rest of the players on the Blades and WHL?

Old
02-13-2013, 01:41 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

If I have learned anything on these boards it is not to take S E P H too personally. One of those people that just thinks they are always right and everyone else's opposing opinion is wrong. Which is okay, everyone is entitled to their opinion. RS and S E P H see Siemens differently, no sense in being worked up over it.

Also comparing anyone to Dater is embarrassing. Not even talking about his hockey knowledge or constant obsession with Anderson. He is just such an awkward ginger that bumbles around. If you need any evidence watch his Denver Post videos.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barklez View Post
And Dater is a ****** beat writer that knows jack-all about hockey. I have no reason to doubt the Blades colour guy, who does some scouting on the side, and has been pretty spot on about a lot of WHL prospects the last couple of years. Don't know why we need to compare him the know-nothing tit that is Adrian Dater just because he happens to disagree with you (knowing nothing about you or your qualifications).
I love Cody and he knows more about the Blades and Siemens than I could ever know, I am probably wrong about Siemens as well. But if there is one thing I dislike on these boards (as Av said it) that even if you have 80,000 post or 1 post using the "I watched him more than you, so I am right" game is something I cannot stand. I don't know if Cody was using it here, but that is how I took his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
If I have learned anything on these boards it is not to take S E P H too personally. One of those people that just thinks they are always right and everyone else's opposing opinion is wrong. Which is okay, everyone is entitled to their opinion. RS and S E P H see Siemens differently, no sense in being worked up over it.
No I am a nice person, it is just when people say radical over the top crap about prospects that puts me in that mood, considering I have seen almost every major and secondary prospect play at least once. Then when they don't agree with you, they play the "how times have you seen him game", which also pisses me off (not talking about RS here, just other posters on the prospects forum).

Last edited by S E P H: 02-13-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 02:16 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

I think everyone just needs to take a step back and breathe here haha.

But thanks to those who have thrown compliments my way. Appreciate it. Me and SEPH usually agree on most things and this isn't one of those times. It's fine. It happens. No worries on my end.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:25 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I think everyone just needs to take a step back and breathe here haha.

But thanks to those who have thrown compliments my way. Appreciate it. Me and SEPH usually agree on most things and this isn't one of those times. It's fine. It happens. No worries on my end.
That depends, what music do you like?

Old
02-13-2013, 02:26 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
That depends, what music do you like?
Pretty much anything, minus most rap and most pop. Lately I've mainly listened to only psychedelic rock.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:28 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Pretty much anything, minus most rap and most pop. Lately I've mainly listened to only psychedelic rock.
For a second there I thought your avatar said "Kevin Porter".

Closed Thread