HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2012, 10:29 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Looks like this:

Supposed to look like this:
Only thing I got from that is that Barrie projects to Lidstrom

Old
09-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Used that one to make a vintage Duncan Siemens hockey card. Really don't like any of the shots though, would've been a bit better too if he had a hat. Made one for Giroux as well, used the 1971-72 OPC card for the format.

Old
09-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Used that one to make a vintage Duncan Siemens hockey card. Really don't like any of the shots though, would've been a bit better too if he had a hat. Made one for Giroux as well, used the 1971-72 OPC card for the format.

good job , the Claude Giroux card looks like it's a legit card from the 70's

Old
09-08-2012, 04:54 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Blades played brutal last night in their first exhibition game. Siemens didn't play great, either. Rematch tonight, doubt he'll be in the lineup.

Old
09-08-2012, 04:56 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Troy Bourke called a value pick by Chris Ralph of THW.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...of-each-round/

Old
09-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Blades played brutal last night in their first exhibition game. Siemens didn't play great, either. Rematch tonight, doubt he'll be in the lineup.
Out of curiosity, where would you rank Siemens in comparison to Thrower & Klefbom? Weird question but in a previous thread Oilers fans claimed Klefbom clearly surpassed Siemens and a Canadiens fan came in and said Thrower was the Blades best defender last season.

Old
09-08-2012, 08:52 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Out of curiosity, where would you rank Siemens in comparison to Thrower & Klefbom? Weird question but in a previous thread Oilers fans claimed Klefbom clearly surpassed Siemens and a Canadiens fan came in and said Thrower was the Blades best defender last season.
I can not comment on Klefbom, but Thrower did have a really solid season last year , no doubt. But the assumptions for the Hab fans case is because of two scenarios,

1) Siemens sustained a concussion which made him lose around 20 games.

2) The Hab fan is looking at stats for his point of the argument. RS confirmed that Duncan really improved his defensive aspect of the game last season and that particular improvement isn't able to be recorded by "statistics".

In any case Thrower isn't a bad prospect and in my opinion kind of fell in the second round. He probably has better potential to develop offensively, but Siemens will always be the better shutdown defender. Sadly this is the type of player the Habs desperately need as well. So it's kind of ironic.

Old
09-10-2012, 05:39 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Different types of players, so hard to say. I would still say Siemens is definitely the better all-round prospect and is definitely the better player of the two right now.

Thrower is a solid player and definitely has the offensive edge on Siemens, but he's not quite in the same category as Siemens or Klefbom right now.

Old
09-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Kieran Millan has himself a new mask

Here's the article where the pictures came from: http://www.padstracker.com/2012/09/11/kieran-millan/

Quote:
Over the summer, the Colorado Avalanche signed three goalie prospects to new entry-level contracts. One of them belongs to Boston University Terriers standout Kieran Millan, who was chosen 124th overall in the 2009 NHL Draft.

The former Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) goalie posted a 20-14-1 record with a .923 save percentage and a 2.60 goals-against average as a senior last year, breaking his own BU record for saves in a season with 1,110. But that’s just scratching the surface of his accomplishments in the NCAA, as he also set school records for wins (81), saves (3,768) and games played by a goaltender with 138.

And who could forget the memorable Hockey East quarterfinals game against New Hampshire, where he stopped a career-high 68 shots in a double-overtime, series-clinching win.

Now Kieran is ready to graduate to the pro ranks, as he’ll fight with three other goalies (Calvin Pickard, Sami Aittokallio and NCAA counterpart Kent Patterson) for a job on the Lake Erie Monsters squad.

His new mask, which was painted by our good friend Sylvie Marsolais from Sylabrush, proves he means business.

“Kieran wanted to stay with something similar to last year’s BU mask,” Marsolais said. “He wanted to keep the split line on the forehead, but wanted the separated lines to be much thinner, with a mountain design and paws inside it. He also asked for a Yeti-themed mask, but one that included the Avalanche logo and their secondary footprint logo, too.”

The white base to this mask gives the whole design a clean look, while the Avalanche logo is prominently displayed on both sides. White obviously meshes well with an Avalanche theme, and we especially like the Yeti’s shading, and powder-blue color.

“Kieran likes symmetrical designs, so I came up with a mix of his pads design and the Avalanche logo for both sides of the mask, and then I decided to put the Yeti just above that. We finished things off by putting the Yeti footprint on the chin.”

For those wondering what Sylvie meant by “a mix” of his pads design, be sure to check out the custom graphic from his Brian’s pads in our PadsFactory.

Like most goalies these days, the backplate is a perfect place to display personal mementos, or memorandums of important people, places, and things. Millan added a real nice touch to his first pro mask by remembering the lives lost in the theater shooting tragedy back on August 20 in Aurora, Colorado.

“Kieran asked for something similar to his BU backplate, with his family name on the bottom, a Canadian maple leaf, and the BU paws. But we also added the official ribbon for the theater tragedy that happened last month, and some lines of the Colorado mountains to give some more details and colors on the backplate.”

Complete with white straps, white snaps, and a chrome cat-eye cage, this mask will certainly stick out when Millan hits the ice for Lake Erie’s training camp early next month! We wish Kieran the best of luck, and we also want to thank Sylvie for giving us exclusive photos of his new Avalanche-themed mask.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:09 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Seriously is our team going to be the last for the fall top 20? Geez.

Also that is a sick mask by Millan.

http://www.avalanchedb.com/system/systemstats.php
I also want to post this here, so I don't have to go through ten websites to look at it.

Old
09-22-2012, 12:37 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Lipon had a solid game, but Colin Smith had a beast of a game. Avs scouting department really know how to pick these hidden gems.

He had 1 g and 3 a last night in a 6-5 OT win. The kid is absolutely amazing on the powerplay and his vision can be at elite level. His only knock so far is if his body and frame can handle the NHL physicality when he turns pro.

Old
09-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Lipon had a solid game, but Colin Smith had a beast of a game. Avs scouting department really know how to pick these hidden gems.

He had 1 g and 3 a last night in a 6-5 OT win. The kid is absolutely amazing on the powerplay and his vision can be at elite level. His only knock so far is if his body and frame can handle the NHL physicality when he turns pro.
Sounds like the Avs MO. You got to wonder about their strategy though. Sure you can find a hidden gem of an undersized player with great vision that nobody else picked up on, but if it takes you 20-30 picks exactly like that to find one that can consistently handle the rigors of the NHL physically, and produce at a decent rate, are you really getting that big a return on your investment?

I'd rather they be more selective and pick undersized guys they are really high on like Hishon, but try to pick up a few different players in the draft, or when they make trades. Not just a shotgun blast trying to acquire all of them.

Old
09-22-2012, 02:15 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Smith is listed at 5'11" and 175lbs. He's not really that undersized.

Old
09-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
@Aittokallio74: Last night in Finland.. Moving to the States tomorrow! Feels weird to leave but now it's time to start writing new chapter!

Has it been confirmed where he's playing or did I just miss this completely?

“It’s embarrassing. I’m embarrassed to be here right now. It’s not even funny. And it’s just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. It’s not how you’re going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
09-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
@Aittokallio74: Last night in Finland.. Moving to the States tomorrow! Feels weird to leave but now it's time to start writing new chapter!

He'll play in the Monsters or the Cutthroats.
Let's wait and see how it unfolds. I think Patterson, Aittokallio and Pickard battle for the 2 spots in Erie.

Old
09-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Pickard also headed to the Monsters.

Quote:
@cpickard1: On the road bright and early to Cleveland! Can't wait to get a new chapter started! #longdrive

Old
09-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Foppa2118

It's really too bad these guys didn't have a chance at a rookie training camp, and a proper evaluation against NHLers after another year of development.

Old
09-22-2012, 11:53 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

@Eurolanche
"Calvin Pickard and Sami Aittokallio are heading to Cleveland where the #Monsters camp will start."

@Aittokallio74
"Can't thank enough @wallmasks for making this one!"

Old
09-23-2012, 08:24 AM
electricjib

Aitto's mask is sick. I really think he has the best shot at being our next goaltender.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:33 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Aitto's mask is sick. I really think he has the best shot at being our next goaltender.
Hopefully, he won't. No offense to Aitto but I'd rather Varlamov just come into his own and be our goalie for the next 10+ years. If Varly doesn't live up to expectations then I'd say Aitto has a good chance as he looks to be the most promising of our goalie prospects.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Lonewolfe2015

I'm hoping (sort of expecting) a San Jose situation with our goaltending pipeline. Varlamov to maintain the reins and Aittokallio, Pickard and Patterson (2 of 3) to earn their way into the backup position and then be sold for top dollar.

Old
09-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I'm hoping (sort of expecting) a San Jose situation with our goaltending pipeline. Varlamov to maintain the reins and Aittokallio, Pickard and Patterson (2 of 3) to earn their way into the backup position and then be sold for top dollar.
Ehhh, but that would mean we trade away the best goalie. Their home countries match up too. I don't like that analogy.

Old
09-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Ehhh, but that would mean we trade away the best goalie. Their home countries match up too. I don't like that analogy.
Toskala was a Fin too. Point was, I'm expecting a 3-4 goalie duel resulting in us keeping a very good goaltender and trading away at least 2 for hefty returns.

Old
09-23-2012, 02:38 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
How often are goalie sold for top dollar? The only ones I can think of are Varly and Sergei. Even then Sergi had played 54 games and 29 games respectively, not sure if Attio will that chance.

Maybe you can think of some that I am missing and perhaps our definition of "Top Dollar" differ but I wouldn't expect anything higher than a 2nd round pick at best.

Of course I don't hold a crystal ball so who knows.

Old
09-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Smith is listed at 5'11" and 175lbs. He's not really that undersized.
Depends where you look. TSN, NHL.com, and THN have him at 5'10" 162lbs. HockeyDB has him at 5'10" 172 lbs. They may all have numbers from last year, but he's 19, and there's only so much more he's likely to grow, and so much weight he's likely to put on, unless he's one of the rare late bloomers.

He's not a midget, but he fits the Avs MO. You hope to see a guy like that get close to 185-190 if he can. Otherwise you got to hope he's great a real low center of gravity, and develops a specialized set of tools.

Quote:
Toskala was a Fin too. Point was, I'm expecting a 3-4 goalie duel resulting in us keeping a very good goaltender and trading away at least 2 for hefty returns.
I think that may be wishful thinking, especially the hefty return part, but I sure hope your right. It's hard to tell with goalies these days. They could go either way. They really need to get some time against NHLers at some point to see where they're at.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 09-23-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Closed Thread