HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2012, 06:55 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Sounds like the Avs MO. You got to wonder about their strategy though. Sure you can find a hidden gem of an undersized player with great vision that nobody else picked up on, but if it takes you 20-30 picks exactly like that to find one that can consistently handle the rigors of the NHL physically, and produce at a decent rate, are you really getting that big a return on your investment?
I agree, but it also comes to the point if teams like Avs choose BPA in the later rounds as well? In 2012 it seems like they did, but 2011 drafting both Beaupre and Donnelly seemed like drafting based on weakness.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Depends where you look. TSN, NHL.com, and THN have him at 5'10" 162lbs. HockeyDB has him at 5'10" 172 lbs. They may all have numbers from last year, but he's 19, and there's only so much more he's likely to grow, and so much weight he's likely to put on, unless he's one of the rare late bloomers.

He's not a midget, but he fits the Avs MO. You hope to see a guy like that get close to 185-190 if he can. Otherwise you got to hope he's great a real low center of gravity, and develops a specialized set of tools.

I think that may be wishful thinking, especially the hefty return part, but I sure hope your right. It's hard to tell with goalies these days. They could go either way. They really need to get some time against NHLers at some point to see where they're at.

Athletes can definitely put on quite a bit more weight past 19 years old and get quite a bit stronger as long as they're not very developed early on like Lando or Duchene were. I'm certain a guy like Smith can get up to 185ish in the next 18-24 months (probably two offseasons of training to do it in a healthy way).

Old
09-23-2012, 11:42 PM
AvsFanRCN

troy rutkowski is off to a strong start. had a 3 point game tonight

Old
09-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanRCN View Post
I thought the Avs don't own his rights anymore.

Old
09-24-2012, 12:59 AM
BrickAHL
#WhyWilson?

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I thought the Avs don't own his rights anymore.
We let him and Silas go.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:39 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanRCN View Post
If he started like this last season he definitely would've been considered for a ELC. But we normally see PPG status by overaged players.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Knew it was a bad decision to let Rutkowski go. He's a fantastic player and was dynamite in last night's game for Portland.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:31 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Knew it was a bad decision to let Rutkowski go. He's a fantastic player and was dynamite in last night's game for Portland.
RS how has Siemens looked so far? Any development of his offensive game or is he going to be strictly shutdown?

Old
09-24-2012, 01:19 PM
AvsFanRCN

Quote:
yeah I was disappointed with it as well

Old
09-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Athletes can definitely put on quite a bit more weight past 19 years old and get quite a bit stronger as long as they're not very developed early on like Lando or Duchene were. I'm certain a guy like Smith can get up to 185ish in the next 18-24 months (probably two offseasons of training to do it in a healthy way).
Definitely, but that would be the low end of what you would hope for. 5'10" / 5'11" (whatever he actually is) 185lbs isn't really that big. It's enough to hopefully keep him from being a bouncy ball whenever someone hits him.

It depends on his body structure and how strong his core is. That's about the size of Brad Richardson. He's got a fairly low center of gravity though, is sturdier on his skates than most guys, and has a good two way game.

Those are all things guys that size need to have to stick in the NHL, unless they're uber talented and smart like a guy like Skinner or Kane, and then it's a matter of keeping their head up and staying healthy. Most have to develop their intangibles up to a high level for NHL standards like Richardson did who was also a pretty good scorer in junior.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
6 points in 2 games as a 20 year old in the WHL? That's future Norris winner stuff right there. HUGE mistake by the Avs to let him go.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:37 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Who needs Rutkowski in a few years when you have Hunwick now!

Rutkowski won't be a big loss. I wish we would have signed him, but he won't beat out Elliott, Barrie, Siemens, Gaunce, and Johnson for a spot anytime soon. At best he becomes a bottom pairing player and those are dime a dozen (we should know as we have 4-5 signed to NHL contracts).

Old
09-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Huis Clos
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
6 points in 2 games as a 20 year old in the WHL? That's future Norris winner stuff right there. HUGE mistake by the Avs to let him go.
Nigel Williams and Colby Cohen are NHL ready.

Old
09-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Nigel Williams and Colby Cohen are NHL ready.
The Avs held onto those guys and traded them. They traded Rutkowski for the pile of cash they didn't have to spend.

Old
09-24-2012, 07:56 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Out of curiosity how much have you see Rutkowski play?

Old
09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Huis Clos
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
The Avs held onto those guys and traded them. They traded Rutkowski for the pile of cash they didn't have to spend.
Pile of cash? What pile of cash? The cash spent scouting him?

Old
09-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
RS how has Siemens looked so far? Any development of his offensive game or is he going to be strictly shutdown?
He's been very good the first two games this season. I wouldn't say he's shown much offensively this year and unfortunately I doubt we will. He's definitely going to be groomed strictly to being a shutdown guy on the team this year with how the roster is shaping up and what this team is doing this season with the Memorial Cup.

He'll be counted on to be simple, physical and make quick plays with the puck. He may see 2nd unit PP time at some point and his shot does actually look better this year, I just think he won't get many chances to use it this season. In the Blades 2nd Exhibition game a few weeks back he did have a great goal, a onetimer on the PP, top corner. Great shot and proof that it's a growing skill of his.

Quote:
Give me a break. The guy is a solid player. I didn't even know he had that many points and truly I don't even care. That's not his game. He's just a simple and effective defenceman. He'll definitely earn a living playing pro hockey somewhere once his WHL days are over.

I'm sure the biggest reason he wasn't signed was because of our depth on the blueline.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Was just in the room for a conversation between Craig Billington and Blades GM and HC Lorne Molleken.

From what I heard, Duncan WON'T be going to Denver when the Avs eventually opening training camp. Some may complain about that, but it's the best thing for him, if you ask me.

He gets to stay in junior, not miss any games and not disrupt his the chemistry of Saskatoon at all.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:46 PM
cgf

Quote:
Was just in the room for a conversation between Craig Billington and Blades GM and HC Lorne Molleken.

From what I heard, Duncan WON'T be going to Denver when the Avs eventually opening training camp. Some may complain about that, but it's the best thing for him, if you ask me.

He gets to stay in junior, not miss any games and not disrupt his the chemistry of Saskatoon at all.
I don't see what's to complain about that. Our blue line is packed with non-first pairing defensive defencemen, so I can't imagine how well he'd need to play for them to call him up for the year. We should just stay patient with him the way we have with Gaunce and let him grow at his own pace, especially with this year being so weird in terms of the lockout and Memorial cup.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Pile of cash? What pile of cash? The cash spent scouting him?
The cash needed to retain his rights.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
When a club hires you and forces you to keep quiet about stuff like this it will be a sad day for Avs fans.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Avs71

Quote:

Do you feel Siemens still has top paring potential?

Old
09-25-2012, 04:24 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I was able to watch Rutkowski the last three years and I even did a depth scouting report on him the somewhere in one of the last three prospect threads. I called him a #6-7 slightly better version of Matt Hunwick and he is just that. Not as of a good skater, but better in the defensive zone.

The problem for Troy is he never really did improve. Came out flying in his second year for the Winterhawks, but basically flat-lined after that. Yes I think we should've signed to give him a chance because he does have a good skill set with a chance of improvement, but with our depth in the defense pool (even in the AHL as well) and probably drafting another defenseman in the upcoming 2012 draft gave him the short end of the stick.

Same with Silas-good draft year, but again flat-lined after that. And I am kind of pissed we gave up two picks for a bust.

Rutkowski could and IMO will have a Kyle Wellwood type of career. Very solid in the junior level(s), but can't plateau into an NHL regular.

I hope this can clear up some confusion.
Here is my post a while back on Rutkowski.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Here is my post a while back on Rutkowski.
Kyle Wellwood became an NHL regular. Most drafted players don't. If you think a guy might crack an NHL lineup, not signing him is very very stupid IMO.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Do you feel Siemens still has top paring potential?
Yes, but depends who his partner is.

Closed Thread