HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

vCash: 500
Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

Continue here.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 06-03-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old
06-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Auguste Escoffier

This thread, it is confirmed.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:25 AM
pSlayer*

confirmed by me

Old
06-03-2012, 01:36 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Tambellini/MacGregor keep their cards close to their vests. Of course, Tambellini will never say that the pick is off the table with certainty, but he's doing his job in saying that it will be next to impossible to get.

We had no idea in 2010 if it was going to be Hall or Seguin. There was speculation in the Media that it was going to be Seguin. Though it was widely expected that RNH would be our pick last year, the Oilers really didn't say anything one way or the other. It will be the same this year.

I think Edmonton will pick Yakupov, but by not indicating one way or another, you leave open the door to trade offers. It's a smart strategy, really. Maybe they'll receive an offer that'll blow Lowe/Tambellini out of the water... But when it comes down to it, you take the BPA with your first rounder.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:51 AM
DrDrai

I have a feeling that the oilers are going to try and acquire another top 5 pick, I think its less of yakupov vs murray, and more of is it worth the effort to get both. I don't think they are debating their position on yakupov as the 1st pick, but seeing if murray is worth it to go and get another top 5 pick, maybe even get galy.

Murray is coming to edmonton later in the week, that should cause more chaos in the city. The oilers know that yakupov is the #1 prospect, there isn't another team out there saying they would take any other player over him, possibly suggesting that another player could be better in 5-10 years but not right now.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:15 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Tambellini hasn't given us any reason to believe that he's creative enough or saavy enough to pull off a simple trade let alone a complicated draft day swap to acquire a second top ten pick.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:21 AM
vanoil81

It's nice to read a newspaper article that compliments Yakupov.
Surprising that it has to come from The Pittsburgh Tribune.

My favourite part,
"many scouts at the combine confirmed that they expect him to become a star and compared him favorably to recent No. 1 picks like John Tavares and Steven Stamkos. Former Penguins coach Scotty Bowman said in January that Yakupov reminds him of former NHL star Pavel Bure."
“Whoever gets him,” Penguins director of amateur scouting Jay Heinbuck said, “is getting an electrifying player.”

http://triblive.com/sports/1892897-8...-drafts-player

Old
06-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
I have a feeling that the oilers are going to try and acquire another top 5 pick, I think its less of yakupov vs murray, and more of is it worth the effort to get both. I don't think they are debating their position on yakupov as the 1st pick, but seeing if murray is worth it to go and get another top 5 pick, maybe even get galy.

Murray is coming to edmonton later in the week, that should cause more chaos in the city. The oilers know that yakupov is the #1 prospect, there isn't another team out there saying they would take any other player over him, possibly suggesting that another player could be better in 5-10 years but not right now.
They try for a 2nd top 10 pick every year don't they?

Old
06-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
They try for a 2nd top 10 pick every year don't they?
Yeah, but to be fair I think a lot of teams say that same spiel because it's so much easier to say than to do. They think "Man, wouldn't it be sweet to get another top 10 pick?"...but when they start asking teams what they want for a pick of that nature and are subsequently gobsmacked at the ludicrous value that these teams place on those picks, the reality hits them like a bucket of ice water in the face.

Then we get the "golly gee whiz, we really tried to move up but those other guys were just CRAZY I tell ya!"

Old
06-03-2012, 02:47 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

I say we just blow the minds of everyone and draft Samuelsson first overall.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Yeah, but to be fair I think a lot of teams say that same spiel because it's so much easier to say than to do. They think "Man, wouldn't it be sweet to get another top 10 pick?"...but when they start asking teams what they want for a pick of that nature and are subsequently gobsmacked at the ludicrous value that these teams place on those picks, the reality hits them like a bucket of ice water in the face.

Then we get the "golly gee whiz, we really tried to move up but those other guys were just CRAZY I tell ya!"
Exactly, what do we have that would be a worth a top 10 pick to another team? Besides our big 3 and our 1st overall pick this year, I don't see it. Maybe a combination of some of our better 2nd tier assets, but then you've got to ask, is it really worth it? And that's just talking about picks 7-10 let alone a top 5 pick

Old
06-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Exactly, what do we have that would be a worth a top 10 pick to another team? Besides our big 3 and our 1st overall pick this year, I don't see it. Maybe a combination of some of our better 2nd tier assets, but then you've got to ask, is it really worth it? And that's just talking about picks 7-10 let alone a top 5 pick
We could probably trade Gagner or Paajaarvi for the 10th pick or something close to it. Although it would be a lateral move if you ask me, considering Gagner and Pajaarvi were top 10 picks themselves, they're not enormous risks either. Gagner is an NHL player, plain and simple. Pajaarvi is at least a decent pro player, should by all means have himself an NHL career. On top of that, when you consider we've already put time into developing both of those players, it's just not worth it.

I doubt anyone would trade a top 10 pick for our grade b prospects like Pitlick or Hamilton.

We should definitely try to get a pick in the 15-25 range though. There will still be plenty of good prospects in that range, including quality dmen. They're just not likely to help us out for a few years.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:05 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

I don't think either of them will get you a first round pick in the top 10 just by themselves, TBH. Especially not Gagner.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Haha. This kid, I love him:

Old
06-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Nail and Nuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Haha. This kid, I love him:

Those picture are fantastic. The second one is absolutely epic. How can the Oilers pass on this guy?

Massive personality.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:46 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

one heck of a neck does this kid have!
i almost want him not to make the roster this season to have a chance of watching him in Ufa at the WJC. not happening though. or maybe a lockout occurs and i can get to watch both him and RNH? one can dream... in case of the lockout i hope at least MPS goes to play for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl who drafted him.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:34 AM
oilphan

Another reason the Oilers need to draft Yak. Prendergast thinks we should draft Murray.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...019/story.html

Old
06-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Nail and Nuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Another reason the Oilers need to draft Yak. Prendergast thinks we should draft Murray.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...019/story.html

I couldn't even make myself read that garbage. I simply don't understand this agenda some have with outsmarting the logical/easy choice in Yakupov.

There is not even a consensus on the premier defenseman in the draft! Murray may well be ready to play- but at what position? 5th D man? When will he be ready to actually contribute? Two-three years later?

If we are using our gift number one pick, we collect assets.

Mr. Nail Yakupov is an asset.

Do it. Do it.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Auguste Escoffier

We did not win the draft lottery just to end up drafting Murray. We must draft Yakupov.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:09 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

I understand drafting a defenceman if he's clearly the bpa, but Murrays not..
Look at those pictures, Yakupov already looks like a man among boys..

Old
06-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Up the Irons

its a tough one because the consensus BPA is precisely the player they don't need. If they pick Yak there is a chance they can attract quality Dman through free agency, but by no means is that a guarantee. It might even be wishfull thinking.

there is just as big a chance that they will end up trading one of Yak, Hall or Eberle for a top Dman or 2 quality Dmen. or just draft the best dman right now and get on with it.

it's a big risk fo sho. if Murray ends up being another Chris Phillips and Yak another Kovalchuk Tambo's career is over and the decision will live in infamy longer than Tambo will.

and he looks bad no matter what he does. if he picks Yak, it speaks to his inability to get a deal done at the draft. If he picks Murray, it speaks to his unconfidence in his own abilities to improve his d-corp.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:02 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Just curious, what did Yakupov's official height & weight come in at, at the draft combine?

Old
06-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
its a tough one because the consensus BPA is precisely the player they don't need. If they pick Yak there is a chance they can attract quality Dman through free agency, but by no means is that a guarantee. It might even be wishfull thinking.

there is just as big a chance that they will end up trading one of Yak, Hall or Eberle for a top Dman or 2 quality Dmen. or just draft the best dman right now and get on with it.

it's a big risk fo sho. if Murray ends up being another Chris Phillips and Yak another Kovalchuk Tambo's career is over and the decision will live in infamy longer than Tambo will.

and he looks bad no matter what he does. if he picks Yak, it speaks to his inability to get a deal done at the draft. If he picks Murray, it speaks to his unconfidence in his own abilities to improve his d-corp.
This thinking is out to lunch. When the Oilers take Yakupov it will simply mean they've taken the best player available and there were no deals offered that would convince them otherwise.
Sensible thinking and what they've done with the draft the last 3 years or so..Your kind of thinking is what got them Pouliot, etc..Yeah, go against what over 90% of the fans, scouts and experts think.....that'll show 'em..

It's not even close...

Old
06-03-2012, 10:25 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

One of the biggest things I love his level of compete. Too many games (especially with Hall out of the lineup) this team is not aggressive enough to get the puck and push the play. Yakupov is the kind of guy who will gladly steal another player's ice time if they aren't willing to get it done.

A player of his calibre could really wake this team up, and possibly spark more out of guys like Hemsky and Whitney.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:06 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
This thinking is out to lunch. When the Oilers take Yakupov it will simply mean they've taken the best player available and there were no deals offered that would convince them otherwise.
Sensible thinking and what they've done with the draft the last 3 years or so..Your kind of thinking is what got them Pouliot, etc..Yeah, go against what over 90% of the fans, scouts and experts think.....that'll show 'em..

It's not even close...

Its the whole myth that the Oilers NEED a number 1 D and thus, the need by some fans to justify and rationalize drafting Murray. The Oilers getting a number 1 D is great but that doesn't necessarily fix the team overnight. I'd rather draft Yakupov and then just fill out D with balanced set of players adept at certain situations [offense/defense]. I reckon the forwards may just be talented enough to score more than the the Oilers let in.

Closed Thread