HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
oilfaninvan

vCash: 500
If I was Katz I would want my opinion known for these #1 picks because these are face-of-the-franchise type guys. totally marketable. If I were Katz I'd also creep HF, twitter and other places to get a sense of what the fans are thinking.

Outside of the first overall pick I'd leave it totally up to the GM and scouts, but I would care deeply about #1 which is why I suppose Katz flies them out in the first place. It's not like Oscar Klefbom got a tour of the castle.

It's going to be interesting to see how much attention is paid to Murray and Grigerenko when they are in town.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post
If I was Katz I would want my opinion known for these #1 picks because these are face-of-the-franchise type guys. totally marketable. If I were Katz I'd also creep HF, twitter and other places to get a sense of what the fans are thinking.

Outside of the first overall pick I'd leave it totally up to the GM and scouts, but I would care deeply about #1 which is why I suppose Katz flies them out in the first place. It's not like Oscar Klefbom got a tour of the castle.

It's going to be interesting to see how much attention is paid to Murray and Grigerenko when they are in town.
Funny, last thing I'd want to see is an owner override the professional opinion of his hockey experts hired to assess talent.

Face of the franchise stuff is far less important in hardcore Canadian hockey markets imo. The bottom dweller Oilers play to capacity audience.

This is due process but I would lose all faith if ownership directed this type of decision making.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:11 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
All I'm saying is theres a reason they hang out at the Katz home, Katz wants to meet them, I'm sure he offers his own little scouting report of their personality..I would if I was an owner..

Old
06-05-2012, 01:22 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
He also essentially said: "I'm not Russian" - thus pissing off most Russian hockey fans in an attempt to refute speculation that he would play in the KHL... sounds like someone who intends to rush back to Russia after the draft to play hockey...
I thought it was pretty easy to see the sarcasm in my post... I guess I was wrong

Old
06-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Ice Whole

Just watched his interview and all I have to say the guy is a beauty. The Oilers better draft him, I thought his last comments about having 2 girlfriends was pretty funny. Would love to have a guy like him on the Oilers. We're lucky we won the lottery, Tambo and co. better not screw this up.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:27 AM
jiggyman

When compared to the NFL, MLB, and NBA, it is one of the top leagues in the world..

Old
06-05-2012, 01:30 AM
mossy joe
keep it riel

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post

the problem with this logic is that 90% of fans have no clue about the idiosyncrasies of competitive, high level hockey. they may think they do, but they don't.

Old
06-05-2012, 04:29 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Great personality the kid has. Really hope they draft him, I think he has potential to be something special, like, better than Nuge, Hall or Ebs kind of special. He doesn't drink or party, he's playful and funny, generally speaking has a great attitude... apparently a work ethic that is second to none... the Russian factor won't be as worrisome with him given his unique ethnic and cultural background. I think this guy is a slam dunk home run touchdown quadruple overtime Stanley Cup finals game 7 winner. Please draft this guy, Edmonton.

Last edited by Philly85: 06-05-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old
06-05-2012, 07:03 AM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
I can't wait to see Yakupov in those Oilers Colours come down the rush beside Hopkins/Eberle/Hall that's going to be something special.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Hemsky4PM

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yak
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hartikainen/Jones

Or:
Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Gagner-Grigorenko-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Horoff-Hartikainen/Jones
+
A legit top 4 d-man???

Or:
Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hartikainen/Jones
+
Ryan Murray/Griffin Reinhart and a no.4 d-man???

I'm not sure which of these I prefer. There's also the option of Hall at center...or what you might be able to get in return for Gagner or Hemsky in a trade. I'd personally keep Hemsky for at least next season, his value should increase.

Yakupov is the best player. But I'd definitely be open to moving the pick.

I could see Montreal stepping up to take Yakupov. Ditto the Islanders. I don't think the Leafs' no. 5 overall would be sufficient for the Oilers...but wouldn't a guy like Gunnarsson (MAYBE Schenn, but I'm not sold) be a great addition for the Oilers?

What if the Peg offered Bogosian and no.9+? Would the Oilers be happy with a guy like Ceci, Trouba or Maata at that spot? Does that resolve the defense issue for the next 10 seasons?

Old
06-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Hoogaar23

Pick Yakupov #1, and then former #6 overall Gagner and our 2nd rounder to Anaheim for their #6 pick and the rights to Justin Schultz.

Sign Schultz, draft Galchenyuk or Grigorenko. Schultz doesn't sign, take one of the dmen and try Hall at C.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Many people compare Yakupov to Pavel Bure. I recall Bure was fantastic but for only a short time. It's like a bright star burning too intensely.

Hopefully, Yakupov if picked will play for the Oilers for a long time. If we could all read the future perhaps it is better to draft a slightly like talented player but has more longevity. That would be the only argument for not drafting Yakupov.
I reallly do not agree with this. Bure scored 50+ goals 5 times with the first in 1992-93 and the last in 2000-2001, so we are talking about a 9 year span. He also had 34 goals in 68 games in 2001-2002.

He did not just fade into the darkness becuase his skill faded. Bure had a series of knee injuries that finally caused him to retire. Just because a player has a similar style does not mean that he will follow the same injury pattern. Yakupov may never be as good as Bure, but he could also play 20 years in the NHL.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:29 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
*sigh* feels like it's taking forever to get to draft day.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:41 AM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Once the cup is awarded at least the media focus will switch to the draft+free agency which will hopefully give us some more to talk about...

This one has seemed the longest of the last 3 years though. Makes me want playoff hockey even more.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:52 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Anyone else jacked that bum Prendergast is no longer with the oilers. Not even because Stu is doing a good job just because outdated attitudes like this would still be making decisions. Him on sportsnet saying it doesnt matter who is better oilers need to draft a dman.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...ockey_hearsay/

It talks about a bunch of stuff, just scroll to the part talkin about oilers
I don't know why Matheson the other day interviewed him. Makes the rest of the world see why he is no longer our head scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Stu Magregor just have the 5 candidates the Oilers are still considering for number 1 overalll on Oilers NOW.

Yakupov
Grigerenko
Murray
Forsburg
Reinhart.
They had something similar last year and hopefully Brownlee gets a breakdown again. Last year after Brownlee's breakdown we had an idea of what Stu wanted.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Stauffer talked to Macgregor last night. It's worth listening to.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:57 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
That's what happens when the season is done at x-mas

Old
06-05-2012, 09:05 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
If the Oilers got another top 5 pick and wanted to take a centre. Given there top 5 list would you take Grigs or Fors?
my choice would be gally, fors, grig in that order

Old
06-05-2012, 09:14 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
my choice would be gally, fors, grig in that order
My order is Grig, Fors, Gally

Grigs seems to still be getting high consideration. If scouts and GM's feel his character issues are overblown, he along with Rielly likely have the most raw potential in this draft.

I've never seen anything special in Forsberg, but he seems to be a player that every team in the top 5 are speaking very highly on. So, I'll trust the scouts over my own gut on this one.

Gally, there is nothing wrong with him, and I'd be happy if he got a 2nd pick to take him to play with Yaks, I just feel like he is 3rd on this list.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:25 AM
JonQuixote

I wouldn't put much stock in the interview questions with an 18 year old kid on the spot, and I still support (demand) drafting him on the basis of his talent, but I have to admit, I found something a bit off-putting about Yakupov's media performance.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by years of guys like Hall, Eberle, RNH Gagner and Paajarvi gushing about how they wanted to play for the Oilers specifically (even if it's just something they were coached to say), but something about Yakupov struck me as... mercenary. He seemed more indifferent than enthused to me, to be here in Edmonton. If that's true, I wonder how that will play out down the road as contracts expire or adversity throws bumps in the team/player relationship road.

But again, I caution everybody against reading too much into these little glimpses of players we get through the media, so I should likely take my own advice.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Hoogaar23

Yeah - you saw what mono did to Couturier last year. You think there's any chance he makes it past 4th or 5th if we re-draft right now?

I think Grigorenko has a chance to fall like Couturier did, but I also believe, like I did with Couturier, that whoever gets him will be getting a great player.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

I don't know where the **** the idea came from that Gagner and our 2nd rounder would be enough to get the #6 pick out of Anaheim.

Now I'm seeing proposals that also throw in the rights to Justin Schultz.

Hilarious.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Yeah - you saw what mono did to Couturier last year. You think there's any chance he makes it past 4th or 5th if we re-draft right now?

I think Grigorenko has a chance to fall like Couturier did, but I also believe, like I did with Couturier, that whoever gets him will be getting a great player.
think its hilarious "what mono did to couturier last year"

-only undrafted player to make team canada WJC
-scored 96 points (missing games because of WJC)
-praised more for defence than his offence.

couturier falling that low is ridiculous. jets really F-ed up IMO, not sure what NYI was doing, and its tough to compare Zbad playing in sweden but i always prefers couts to him as well.

Personally i'd even have taken him ahead of huberdeau.

RNH
Lando/Couts
Larsson

was how i saw it last year, im starting to like huberdeau more now though.

i also prefer couturier to grigorenko. grittier, much better defensively, better junior stats, both played on a middling playoff teams.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:06 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I wouldn't put much stock in the interview questions with an 18 year old kid on the spot, and I still support (demand) drafting him on the basis of his talent, but I have to admit, I found something a bit off-putting about Yakupov's media performance.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by years of guys like Hall, Eberle, RNH Gagner and Paajarvi gushing about how they wanted to play for the Oilers specifically (even if it's just something they were coached to say), but something about Yakupov struck me as... mercenary. He seemed more indifferent than enthused to me, to be here in Edmonton. If that's true, I wonder how that will play out down the road as contracts expire or adversity throws bumps in the team/player relationship road.

But again, I caution everybody against reading too much into these little glimpses of players we get through the media, so I should likely take my own advice.
Language barrier. Don't know how to say it-best not to say anything or at least stay objective and neutral. Human Resources 101 [or SMO for the "new school" business students]

Old
06-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
think its hilarious "what mono did to couturier last year"

-only undrafted player to make team canada WJC
-scored 96 points (missing games because of WJC)
-praised more for defence than his offence.

couturier falling that low is ridiculous. jets really F-ed up IMO, not sure what NYI was doing, and its tough to compare Zbad playing in sweden but i always prefers couts to him as well.

Personally i'd even have taken him ahead of huberdeau.

RNH
Lando/Couts
Larsson

was how i saw it last year, im starting to like huberdeau more now though.

i also prefer couturier to grigorenko. grittier, much better defensively, better junior stats, both played on a middling playoff teams.
I saw him play a half dozen times. He was not the same player at the end of the season as he was at the start. I thought he had a great year overall, but he really looked sluggish out there at the end of the season compared to earlier in the year.

Not sure what you mean by "think it's hilarious 'what mono did to Couturier last year'" - to me he didn't look as good at the end of the season as he did at the start. If you saw it differently, that's OK, but that is my opinion. He was ranked #1 to start the year and fell to 8th. I don't believe he makes it past 2 if he doesn't get mono.

Closed Thread