HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Skm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post
So, basically we can expect the following:

June: Trade 1st overall for 5th overall, Schenn, 2nd round pick. Draft Reinhart (who I suspect is the guy they want) or Murray.
July: Sign Schultz and veteran D.
Sept: Lowe "We have a lot of defensemen in the system."
2012-13 Season: Try to trade defense prospect for scoring forward.
Sadly this is something that wouldn't surprise most of us anymore.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:52 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You wouldn't trade the pick for Huberdeau and Gudbranson? I would do that without thinking twice. Yakupov will likely be better than Huberdeau but not by much and Gudbranson has a lot of upside, he really came on in the second half of the season.
I wouldn't even think twice about that trade.
We would get our #2C and potential top pairing defenseman in one trade, total no brainer.
The Panthers would be idiots to make that trade IMO.
I'd make the trade for Huberdeau and Gudbranson if Gudbranson had a breakout year like Gardiner did. At this point Gudbranson is just another big young defenseman and I don't know how good he is going to be and when he is going to be it. I have a confidence that Huberdeau will be, at least, an exceptional 2C in the league, but for all I know he can turn out to be another Sam Gagner.

Whenever people pitch trading the pick I insert Taylor Hall's name for Yakupov's, it's a wonderful cure for all sorts of delusion.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:52 AM
vanoil81

This article sums up the feelings I have about the Draft.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/6/13...-not-be-best-d

Old
06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I know this is like beating a dead horse, however earlier this morning on TSN 1050 radio Darren Dreger was on discussing what Edmonton is likely to do at the draft. He said that his sense is that the Oilers don't simply take Yakupov at No. 1. They need to add on defense, and this may force them to trade down..
I also wonder what else was said, because this one key word makes me think that we are missing part of this. Is this what he thinks the team should do or is this what he has heard from the Oilers?
While I really am starting to get nervous, it's worth mentioning we don't necessarily need to look into this. I believe it was Dreger, also reported at the 2010 draft that Oilers were shopping Hemsky and possibly Eberle to get the #2. Obviously didn't happen, and we know thanks to Oil Change how unlikely it was. Just because one source tells Dregs something, doesn't mean it's 100% true.

That's what I'm telling myself, anyway...

Old
06-13-2012, 10:03 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MuchGravy View Post
you cant choose these fools to do anything right.

the gods gave you yakupov. take him!
No kidding. We weren't expecting to get the 1st Overall pick and now we do, we choose to screw it up

Old
06-13-2012, 10:07 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
According to the main Dredger is reporting Oilers most likely trading down at draft. Hope to god if the Oilers are entertaining this they get a hell of a return . If not Management has gone full ****** imo.I think the Oilers might be leaking rumors on purpose to start a bidding war jmo.
Dreger is the worst by far in MSM. For someone who is an "insider", he knows nothing about the West. Ironic that he came from the West.

Probably his pro-TO stance and trying to pressure the Oilers into trading to TO, his bread and butter and his bread maker, caving is what I'm guessing

Old
06-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
While I really am starting to get nervous, it's worth mentioning we don't necessarily need to look into this. I believe it was Dreger, also reported at the 2010 draft that Oilers were shopping Hemsky and possibly Eberle to get the #2. Obviously didn't happen, and we know thanks to Oil Change how unlikely it was. Just because one source tells Dregs something, doesn't mean it's 100% true.

I think Dreger is out to lunch here. We need to make some moves to improve the D, but the #1 pick is not our only bargaining chip.

Its already been stated by Tambo, Stu and Klowe that it would take a monumental overpay to trade the pick, and drafting for positional need will be done in the later rounds.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Dreger is the worst by far in MSM. For someone who is an "insider", he knows nothing about the West. Ironic that he came from the West.

Probably his pro-TO stance and trying to pressure the Oilers into trading to TO, his bread and butter and his bread maker, caving is what I'm guessing
There is a lot of gray area to all this IMO. For instance you miss one word and all of a sudden we are going from looking at our options to actively looking to trade down.

What I noticed and I pointed it out on the main board. Dreger was first to mention no MacT as head coach to Edmonton, but why didn't he have any idea about MacT to management? Considering MacT was his source it really makes you think.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:23 AM
frag2

Quote:
There is a lot of gray area to all this IMO. For instance you miss one word and all of a sudden we are going from looking at our options to actively looking to trade down.

What I noticed and I pointed it out on the main board. Dreger was first to mention no MacT as head coach to Edmonton, but why didn't he have any idea about MacT to management? Considering MacT was his source it really makes you think.
Funny thing is in the MacT thread, MacT was actually offered to coach but he declined.

Like I mentioned, shows you how much he knows about the west.

For all you know, I could be Olczyk

Old
06-13-2012, 10:34 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Funny thing is in the MacT thread, MacT was actually offered to coach but he declined.

Like I mentioned, shows you how much he knows about the west.

For all you know, I could be Olczyk
I wouldn't admit to that

Old
06-13-2012, 10:36 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanoil81 View Post

It makes a good point in that the defensemen this year are all over the place.

(At least) one of these d-men, be it Murray or a comparable prospect, is going to slip. I'll bet that the Oilers could keep #1, trade #32+ to move up into the middle of the first round and still get that type of player, and maybe even have a couple to choose from depending on how high they can get.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:42 AM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanoil81 View Post

Agreed that there is more value in trading up than trading down. If ever we were to trade up into the top 10, this is the year to do it. Walk away with yak, a D, then sign Schultz.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
It makes a good point in that the defensemen this year are all over the place.

(At least) one of these d-men, be it Murray or a comparable prospect, is going to slip. I'll bet that the Oilers could keep #1, trade #32+ to move up into the middle of the first round and still get that type of player, and maybe even have a couple to choose from depending on how high they can get.
Do you trade #32 + 2013 1st for pick 6, 7 or 8? Are there any players that it would be worth doing that for?

It would almost be like speeding up the rebuild by a year, but if you end up in the lottery next year and the pick you traded up for busts, it could prove to be a monumental f up.

Personally, even with Mackinnon and Jones next year, I'd probably do it for Murray, Galchenyuk and Grigorenko.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:47 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post
Agreed that there is more value in trading up than trading down. If ever we were to trade up into the top 10, this is the year to do it. Walk away with yak, a D, then sign Schultz.
I have been saying the same thing since we won the lottery. Draft Yak and then move up as far as you can from 32. Even if we can only get as high as 10-15, we should be able to get a Ceci or Maata in there.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:54 AM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I have been saying the same thing since we won the lottery. Draft Yak and then move up as far as you can from 32. Even if we can only get as high as 10-15, we should be able to get a Ceci or Maata in there.
And I would love to get Maata.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:59 AM
frag2

Quote:
I wouldn't admit to that
I see what you did

But ya, Dreger is a tool for TO IMO. Anything West he spews is BS in my books. As I mentioned awhile back, anything less than getting Yak out of this draft is a loss for the Oilers. The hockey gods want us to take him and not sure we want to piss him off.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:06 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Do you trade #32 + 2013 1st for pick 6, 7 or 8? Are there any players that it would be worth doing that for?

It would almost be like speeding up the rebuild by a year, but if you end up in the lottery next year and the pick you traded up for busts, it could prove to be a monumental f up.

Personally, even with Mackinnon and Jones next year, I'd probably do it for Murray, Galchenyuk and Grigorenko.
I wouldn't move any first rounders, and I don't think it's worth getting into the top 10 unless it's for cheap.

These d-men won't all be off the table by 10, even in the slim chance that no teams make off-the-board picks, which I bet will happen a lot this year.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Petro Points

The other factor about not drafting Yakupov is that whoever we get instead of him will have a short leash and will probably be chased out of town by fans pretty quick.

This is a Canadian hockey market after all.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:09 AM
joestevens29

Well dreger now says NJ missed deadline and kept pick.

Also what is the difference in these two draft threads? Why not one?

Old
06-13-2012, 11:11 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
The other factor about not drafting Yakupov is that whoever we get instead of him will have a short leash and will probably be chased out of town by fans pretty quick.

This is a Canadian hockey market after all.
You'd think the leash would be even shorter if we do not pick the consensus BPA...

Old
06-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Hockey Nightmare

I'd only give up Yakupov if we could get Gardiner+ and the 5th overall. But even then I'd only do it if we were guaranteed Galchenyuk or Grigorenko. Chances are good that those two would be gone by the fifth pick, along with Murray.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:34 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I'd only give up Yakupov if we could get Gardiner+ and the 5th overall. But even then I'd only do it if we were guaranteed Galchenyuk or Grigorenko. Chances are good that those two would be gone by the fifth pick, along with Murray.
I don't think Murray being gone by #5 is too much of a sure thing.

Looking at it I'd expect the Islanders to take a d-man.. but they're the Islanders; who the hell knows. Could go off the board, or they could just have other defensemen ahead of Murray, which I'll bet a number of teams do.

And honestly, 4 forwards to start the draft wouldn't even be "off the board". Yakupov, Forsberg, Galchenyuk, and Grigorenko would not surprise me.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I would do Gardiner + 5th for 1st overall even if Murray,Grig and Galy are taken.
I could live with a 3rd line of Forsberg-Lander-Paajarvi and add Gardiner and possibly J.Schultz to our D.

If we pick Dumba then that is fine as well.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I would do Gardiner + 5th for 1st overall even if Murray,Grig and Galy are taken.
I could live with a 3rd line of Forsberg-Lander-Paajarvi and add Gardiner and possibly J.Schultz to our D.

If we pick Dumba then that is fine as well.
Trading the first overall pick for a 3rd line winger + second pairing dman?

No thanks Petro.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Trading the first overall pick for a 3rd line winger + second pairing dman?

No thanks Petro.
Forsberg and Gardiner may be that next season but have the potential to be much more.
Who is to say Yakupov wont be starting on the 3rd line next year.

I would probably stop cheering for the Oilers if we dont draft Yakupov but a move like this would fill holes on the roster.

Closed Thread