HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The common misnomer about booing. He said he would boo the pick not the player. He would boo because he's ticked off with what he sees as a lame brain management decision.

Goodness knows no oiler fan should be taking another to task over booing anyone seeing as the oilers are the player booing capital of the league.
So everytime Murray touches the puck and gets boo'd, he's going to think they're actually booing management? Let's be realistic here, he's eventually going to get tired of it.

Make up a sign saying you hate management or whatever, booing the player is immature and unwarranted

Old
06-13-2012, 02:18 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
David Staples ‏@dstaples

"Yakupov is worth the price of admission.." Central Scouting's Gary Eggleston "I haven't seen a kid like this with hand speed in some time."

Old
06-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Timo

vCash: 500
You have to know we're going to draft Yakupov.

I think all the chatter about moves and what not will take place in the form of a trade up into the top 10 somehow.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:32 PM
okgooil

I think Button had a great point on TSN, that drafting a D man won't solve our immediate needs any way, we actually have tons of D men in the system, Music, Marincin, Klefbom ect.. So really there should be no talk of drafting a D man. Take Yakupov and go from there.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
+1 and those were huge fails
hey maybe we will make up for them since both Doan and Parise are set to become UFAs

Old
06-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I think Button had a great point on TSN, that drafting a D man won't solve our immediate needs any way, we actually have tons of D men in the system, Music, Marincin, Klefbom ect.. So really there should be no talk of drafting a D man. Take Yakupov and go from there.
This.

If the defence continues to be a sore spot then go after Schultz and or Weber next year.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
David Staples ‏@dstaples

"Yakupov is worth the price of admission.." Central Scouting's Gary Eggleston "I haven't seen a kid like this with hand speed in some time."
This is what really seperates Yakupov from Hall, their games are similar, but Yakupov's hands and shot are on another level.

It'd be like combining Hall with Eberle's hands, but I think Yakupov's shot honestly might even be more explosive.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I agree with this. Not only for the #1, but for posters that want to trade away assets for a 2nd top 10 pick to take a D-man. They won't be in the NHL next season(very small chance) and the season after we have a lot of prospects that might be able to make the jump. Stop the trade proposals for a 2nd top 10 pick.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:47 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I agree with this. Not only for the #1, but for posters that want to trade away assets for a 2nd top 10 pick to take a D-man. They won't be in the NHL next season(very small chance) and the season after we have a lot of prospects that might be able to make the jump. Stop the trade proposals for a 2nd top 10 pick.

Exactly, I don't think we should trade any one for another top 10 pick. Every one loves the idea of dealing some one like Gagner, but you are just trading away an asset now for a D man that won't help our team for 2 more years. We need D men that are close to helping us now, or at least within the next two years. Those D men should be the guys we already have in the minors (mentioned above) and guys like Petry, Smid. If the D really fails this year, then we look at trading for some on who can help now. ie Weber Shutltz ect.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
StanDarsh

Today on the radio in calgary some eastern media sportswriter was on the fan. He was saying that if he was oiler management he would be jumping for joy over getting schenn plus the 5th for edms 1st. The calgary host was like jeeze you would think toronto would have too add more for the first. Lol than the writer went on about how edm should trade down in the 8 to 12 spot lol. What a tool.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:04 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
You have to know we're going to draft Yakupov.

I think all the chatter about moves and what not will take place in the form of a trade up into the top 10 somehow.
Like I said, I hope we draft Yak and all this commotion from BBO earlier was us giving "valuable" pieces not from the big 3 to get another top 10 pick.

I hope I'm right

Old
06-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Like I said, I hope we draft Yak and all this commotion from BBO earlier was us giving "valuable" pieces not from the big 3 to get another top 10 pick.

I hope I'm right
I hope you're right too. This is the time, if you think some of the other top forwards (and defensemen) can really make an impact as part of your core going forward, for the team to step forward and make a move to that end. Now if they move Gagner (I'm assuming him), then they should try to replace him in the short term (ie Jokinen or someone like that), allowing the kids to be the long term answer.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:17 PM
T-Funk

Didn't really think of this before but giving up MPS would probably piss people off.

He's not one of the big three but that trade would hurt.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:22 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Dont you think trading Sam Gagner would really piss people off?

Could also be a good reason for not revealing the info.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:32 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Didn't really think of this before but giving up MPS would probably piss people off.

He's not one of the big three but that trade would hurt.
Not me. MPS = bust IMO. He's a bigger Cogliano. Maybe even lesser due to lack of grit.

MPS+2nd for a top 10 pick is fine by me.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Dont you think trading Sam Gagner would really piss people off?

Could also be a good reason for not revealing the info.
People? Like who? The Fans that forget that Ryan Smyth was utterly useless for the majority of the season?

Enough time has passed from his 8pt night where you can move him without much problem.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Not me. MPS = bust IMO. He's a bigger Cogliano. Maybe even lesser due to lack of grit.

MPS+2nd for a top 10 pick is fine by me.
He's played 2 years of NA pro hockey, that might be a bit quick.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDarsh View Post
Today on the radio in calgary some eastern media sportswriter was on the fan. He was saying that if he was oiler management he would be jumping for joy over getting schenn plus the 5th for edms 1st. The calgary host was like jeeze you would think toronto would have too add more for the first. Lol than the writer went on about how edm should trade down in the 8 to 12 spot lol. What a tool.
Same with Gregor today. He stated that he would like to trade #1 for Schenn and their 1st pick (#5) if it gave us a chance to pick the Russian center (forgot his name).

He then went on to say that Schenn right now has a very low trade value, so Gregor basically contradicted himself, unless he likes the other guy THAT much more than Yaks.

It would basically end up being 1st for 5th. Pretty poor trade if you ask me.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I see a lot wrong with fans booing Murray once he takes the ice but maybe that's just me. I don't see what purpose that would serve other than to make the environment extremely uncomfortable for a kid in an already pressure packed environment.
This is just my opinion but i think that anybody who boos Murray straight out of the gate is an idiot.

I would be really upset if they passed on Yakupov but i would never go to the game and boo the kid. If he is taken by the Oilers, i will automatically cheer for the kid. I would save the venom for the Oilers brass.
The problem with this post is you make the assumption that drunk hockey fans would have a purpose other then they are drunk and upset the team didnt take Yakupov. it becomes that much worse if Yakupov puts up any amount of points in the first month of the season.

Murray will be a dog in Edmonton forever if drafted. Even if he is flawless on defence people would still call him a bust if he isnt putting up 30-40 points a season

Edit: Dont take this to mean I would boo Murray but ive heard stupider things from rexall place and it doesnt seem s far fetched to me

Old
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
The problem with this post is you make the assumption that drunk hockey fans would have a purpose other then they are drunk and upset the team didnt take Yakupov. it becomes that much worse if Yakupov puts up any amount of points in the first month of the season.

Murray will be a dog in Edmonton forever if drafted. Even if he is flawless on defence people would still call him a bust if he isnt putting up 30-40 points a season
I think you overestimate the dick level of the Edmonton hockey fan. It's entirely probable they would boo in the sports bars and at Rexall for the live party, but by the time the kid got here, I would be amazed if there wasn't a significant rally of support for him, agree with it or not.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:06 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
He's played 2 years of NA pro hockey, that might be a bit quick.
Having watched so much hockey all these years, it's easy to tell when players have "habits" that seem difficult to break out.

Cogliano - reading play and getting himself offside
MPS - his patented weak wrister while flying along the wing

Until he shows otherwise, I'm not counting on him being any different.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Having watched so much hockey all these years, it's easy to tell when players have "habits" that seem difficult to break out.

Cogliano - reading play and getting himself offside
MPS - his patented weak wrister while flying along the wing

Until he shows otherwise, I'm not counting on him being any different.
Yikes, well nothing like a "YOU MUST HAVE NO Faults" as a standard for young players.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yikes, well nothing like a "YOU MUST HAVE NO Faults" as a standard for young players.
It's not about faults, its about correcting habits. Those are strictly habits, although they are also negative as well.

It's kind of like people saying Hall skating with head down. He's learned to adapt pretty nicely

Old
06-13-2012, 04:44 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Do you have any inside sources?
Only reason oil management dont take yakupov is because theyre scared at the prospect of having the most talented top six in the league..so instead they would rather have 2 more top 4 defensive prospects than have a potential 4th superstar..

The fact they still question who is number one makes me question theyre IQ level, everyone including stu mcgregor because it shouldnt take a whole freakin year to figure out whose the top prospect in this years draft...

I'm sure stu mcgregor and most oil manangers are smart people, but arrrrghh! Frustrating way of doing business for us fans

Old
06-13-2012, 04:46 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
This thread isn't about Sam Gagner.

Back to Yakupov.

Closed Thread