HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 08:54 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
If we could come out with grigs and yak........ Oh baby!
If they could actually pull that off (Grigs or Gally), it would be a great move. I'm sure many would claim that we should draft a d-man with that 2nd pick... but it would leave defense as our only major focus (IMO Dubnyk needs to be given a fair shot under a competent team). At this point, we could use free agency, and trades (2013 1st, Hemsky etc.)

Hall Nugent-Hopkins Eberle
Hartikainen Grigorenko Yakupov (or Paajarvi on the left)

I'm not getting my hopes up for that though. lol. We've played this game every year of the rebuild.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Apparently Yakupov has created quite a ****storm with his "I'm Muslim, I'm not Russian" comments Friday.

Sounds like Russian sites/boards were none too pleased to hear that.
I chuckled when I heard this

Old
06-04-2012, 09:18 AM
CupofOil

You guys are funny with the Yakupov AND Grigs/Gally talk. Ah Oiler fans, hope reigns eternal no matter how unrealistic it is.

I would be beyond shocked if the any team even considered trading a top 5 pick to the Oilers. The Oilers have no worthwhile assets outside of the big 3, the #1 pick and perhaps the 1st round pick next season. No team is going to want anything else from the Oilers as a centerpiece for their top 5 pick, i would be shocked if they did.

If the rumors are true that as many 6 players have been invited to Katz'a castle then that means that they are really undecided as to who to pick with the top pick, not that they are realistically looking at adding 2 of those players IMO.
This is the first sign to me that they might very well not be picking Yakupov, i'm officially concerned now. I actually wouldn't be completely shocked if they took Reinhart at 1.

I have a feeling that Yakupov's cocky attitude will completely turn them off, they love these humble types based on their track record so Yakupov's personality could actually work as a negative IMO.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:26 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You guys are funny with the Yakupov AND Grigs/Gally talk. Ah Oiler fans, hope reigns eternal no matter how unrealistic it is.

I would be beyond shocked if the any team even considered trading a top 5 pick to the Oilers. The Oilers have no worthwhile assets outside of the big 3, the #1 pick and perhaps the 1st round pick next season. No team is going to want anything else from the Oilers as a centerpiece for their top 5 pick, i would be shocked if they did.

If the rumors are true that as many 6 players have been invited to Katz'a castle then that means that they are really undecided as to who to pick with the top pick, not that they are realistically looking at adding 2 of those players IMO.
This is the first sign to me that they might very well not be picking Yakupov, i'm officially concerned now. I actually wouldn't be completely shocked if they took Reinhart at 1.

I have a feeling that Yakupov's cocky attitude will completely turn them off, they love these humble types based on their track record so Yakupov's personality could actually work as a negative IMO.
That's a bold assumption. I think them getting another top 5 or 6 pick is unlikely too. Like I said before, they're really probably just doing their homework incase one of those teams adds a LOT to their pick to trade up to #1. This way, they know each prospect very well.

If they're picking #1, it's Yakupov. They've had too much attention to him on the site now, + the twitter account calling top rated prospect (which would be PR suicide now if you don't take him at #1), Stauffer has been pumping him up, they have always drafted bpa 1st overall regardless of need

Old
06-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpMorg View Post
Gags and a second round pick for Anaheims first overall seems a bit of a stretch.
I agree, and that's why i asked "what else would it take"?

Omark? A conditional 2nd or even 1st in 2013? <shrugs> I honestly don't know...

Old
06-04-2012, 09:45 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
That's a bold assumption. I think them getting another top 5 or 6 pick is unlikely too. Like I said before, they're really probably just doing their homework incase one of those teams adds a LOT to their pick to trade up to #1. This way, they know each prospect very well.

If they're picking #1, it's Yakupov. They've had too much attention to him on the site now, + the twitter account calling top rated prospect (which would be PR suicide now if you don't take him at #1), Stauffer has been pumping him up, they have always drafted bpa 1st overall regardless of need
They could be doing their homework in case of a trade down and maybe you're right that they will almost certainly be picking Yakupov if they stay at 1 but at the very least, this signals to me that they are very strongly considering a trade down almost to be point of it being likely. It's possible that i'm being too skeptical about their intentions but i choose to keep my expectations low, there is a lot of smoke to the idea of them not picking Yakupov from way too many people and them inviting all these players to Edmonton makes me think that they aren't too keen on Yakupov at all.

Also, as i noted before, i have a feeling that they will be off put by Yakupov's personality. He doesn't seem to fit the mold of the team that they are trying to build with humble personalities and yes, i do think that personality is an important factor for them based on Tambellini's comments over the last few seasons and ulitmately, as much as people don't want to hear it, i do believe that him being Russian (even though he doesn't consider himself Russian) is a factor.

They drafted BPA the last few drafts because those were Canadian players and during the Hall draft, they had a bare cupboard pretty much so they were going to go BPA and with RNH, they had a big need at center.
This draft is completely different even though Yakupov is more consensus than Hall and RNH were.

I also don't like the idea of them promoting Kreuger for many reasons that i listed in the coach thread and i happen to feel strongly that they will strike out on Schultz so maybe i'm just feeling ultra-pessimistic this offseason.

Last edited by CupofOil: 06-04-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old
06-04-2012, 11:01 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
I agree, and that's why i asked "what else would it take"?

Omark? A conditional 2nd or even 1st in 2013? <shrugs> I honestly don't know...
I would wager it might take someone like Pitlick or Hamilton added on to it. I honestly think Omark has the trade value of getting us a late round pick at most.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Fourier

Quote:
They could be doing their homework in case of a trade down and maybe you're right that they will almost certainly be picking Yakupov if they stay at 1 but at the very least, this signals to me that they are very strongly considering a trade down almost to be point of it being likely. It's possible that i'm being too skeptical about their intentions but i choose to keep my expectations low, there is a lot of smoke to the idea of them not picking Yakupov from way too many people and them inviting all these players to Edmonton makes me think that they aren't too keen on Yakupov at all.

Also, as i noted before, i have a feeling that they will be off put by Yakupov's personality. He doesn't seem to fit the mold of the team that they are trying to build with humble personalities and yes, i do think that personality is an important factor for them based on Tambellini's comments over the last few seasons and ulitmately, as much as people don't want to hear it, i do believe that him being Russian (even though he doesn't consider himself Russian) is a factor.

They drafted BPA the last few drafts because those were Canadian players and during the Hall draft, they had a bare cupboard pretty much so they were going to go BPA and with RNH, they had a big need at center.
This draft is completely different even though Yakupov is more consensus than Hall and RNH were.

I also don't like the idea of them promoting Kreuger for many reasons that i listed in the coach thread and i happen to feel strongly that they will strike out on Schultz so maybe i'm just feeling ultra-pessimistic this offseason.
I think your nerves are getting to you. Stay the course! Believe!

BTW, I completely agree on Kreuger.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:32 AM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
If they are planning on using the pick I'm not sure what you think bad can happen from saying it. The good would be telling the number 1 available player in the world that we want him on our team and have made our choice. It has happened in hockey before and happens in other sports regularly.

The main reason not to do it would be if you think you might be trading the pick. Which I guess might be what's happening here.
Ya I was referring to hiding your hand for a trade more than anything. If someone at 2 or 3 want someone other than Yakupov, and they know we're taking Yakupov, there is no will to pitch an offer.

Obviously this is all speculation and low chance outcomes, but I dont think it hurts to imply that the oilers may be taking the player another team wants, thus causing them to look at their options.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
i truly believe the oilers will draft Yakupov, the rest is all smoke screen. I also feel if they did pass on yak it would be regretted for years and years..............worse than the whole trade down and take pouliot and JFjocks instead of Parise and/or getzlaf or burns

Old
06-04-2012, 11:47 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Hall is confident bordering on cocky and they chose him over Seguin. I don't think Yakupov's attitude will be a turn off at all. My only worries with them not taking him are based on his position and our team's tendency to think they are smarter than everyone else.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:49 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
If we could come out with grigs and yak........ Oh baby!
i'd take gally > Yak but yeah thats boner-type stuff right there

Old
06-04-2012, 11:53 AM
MoneyGuy

The Oil will take Yak. The rest is smokescreen and due diligence in case they can find a trade partner so we can move up to get another high draft choice.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
vanoil81

A nice insight into Yakupov's life.

http://oilersnation.com/2012/6/4/nai...-his-own-words

Old
06-04-2012, 12:00 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Hall is confident bordering on cocky and they chose him over Seguin. I don't think Yakupov's attitude will be a turn off at all. My only worries with them not taking him are based on his position and our team's tendency to think they are smarter than everyone else.
I actually disagree with this. During the wooing of these two guys, I felt that Seguin was BY FAR the cockier of the two.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Panda Bear

Here's a great snippet from the article just posted:

Quote:
Sometimes I just hang out with my friends. However, I don’t go dancing, clubbing, partying, drinking or anything like that – it’s just not for me.
Love it.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
I actually disagree with this. During the wooing of these two guys, I felt that Seguin was BY FAR the cockier of the two.
I agree. Seguin seemed like a weasel pre-draft.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

On Canadians

Quote:
Let me tell you this, ok? These guys are really weird. I know just a handful of people who resemble us – Russians. I know just a few guys who don’t like to fool around, as it’s common here, and aren’t complete I-don’t-care-about-anything type of guys. Seriously, I know just a few guys who you can really sit down with and they will tell you what’s on their mind, what bothers them, what have they seen… stuff like that.

If I had to name these guys, I’d say Daniel Broussard was one of them. He drove me around the town and we talked quite a lot. Unfortunately, he was traded to Ottawa. One other guy I can think about is Brendan Maxwell, who was traded to Mississauga. He visited me often. We had dinner together and he told me a whole bunch of stories. He doesn’t act as if he’s from North America at all.
He's bang on the mark too. I think he really means junior players.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanoil81 View Post

Holy crap what an interview!

I want him even more after I read this. Seems like a great guy.

06-04-2012, 12:12 PM
TowMater14

Quote:

Good read. I really like this kid!

Old
06-04-2012, 12:14 PM
frag2

Quote:
I agree. Seguin seemed like a weasel pre-draft.
Yep too full of himself. Hell, even his dad was like that.

And don't forget their matching Seguin tribal tattoos

Old
06-04-2012, 12:22 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Touche, Seguin did come off as more cocky, but that isn't to say Hall isn't as well. Hall's confidence in his abilities is well known. I don't think Yakupov having similar confidence will be a big knock against him.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:24 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Touche, Seguin did come off as more cocky, but that isn't to say Hall isn't as well. Hall's confidence in his abilities is well known. I don't think Yakupov having similar confidence will be a big knock against him.
I agree. In fact, unlike Seguin, I actually really like Yaks attitude and say it as it is mentality. After that write up I just read I can't imagine why we would want anyone else!

Old
06-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Dabomb

Quote:

This interview was conducted in Russian.. and you can just see the total difference in his in-depth answers when compared to interviews done in english. I think his lack of english comes off as him being cocky with one or two sentence responses.. but even then, the kid is always smiling and looks happy. Oilers better freakin draft Yakupov or i'll be so choked.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Yakupov seems to have a much different demeanor than Hall when it comes to media presentation. He's more of the goofy, fun loving type who will say anything and not care what anybody thinks similar to Ovy. Hall is more serious and politically correct when it comes to interviews similar to Toews although Hall is less uptight.
Yakupov can work on his media skills of course but he and Hall are nothing alike when it comes to talking to the media and i think that we've seen enough Yakupov interviews by now to get a proper guage of his personality.

I personally love Yakupov's personality and think that he is exactly what we need on this team but I just think that Tambellini and Stu aren't a fan of "characters" like Yakupov, they seem to like the more humble down to earth types like Murray.
Lowe seems to like the outgoing type of personality so it'll be interesting to see if he has any influence in regards to who will be picked.

Closed Thread