HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Heavy Dee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yakupov seems to have a much different demeanor than Hall when it comes to media presentation. He's more of the goofy, fun loving type who will say anything and not care what anybody thinks similar to Ovy. Hall is more serious and politically correct when it comes to interviews similar to Toews although Hall is less uptight.
Yakupov can work on his media skills of course but he and Hall are nothing alike when it comes to talking to the media and i think that we've seen enough Yakupov interviews by now to get a proper guage of his personality.

I personally love Yakupov's personality and think that he is exactly what we need on this team but I just think that Tambellini and Stu aren't a fan of "characters" like Yakupov, they seem to like the more humble down to earth types like Murray.
Lowe seems to like the outgoing type of personality so it'll be interesting to see if he has any influence in regards to who will be picked.
it will come down to who they think is the better hockey player

Old
06-04-2012, 12:56 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
it will come down to who they think is the better hockey player
I think that having a personality that fits into the team concept is of utmost importance to them. Tambellini has stated numerous times over the years that they value character very highly.
Now, i'm not saying that Yakupov doesn't have a ton of character but i could see them being a bit off put by his free spirited personality and if all is equal between the prospects or even if they see Yakupov as the more talented player, they might be more inclined to take the player who fits the team concept the most or the infamous phrase "draft for need".

Old
06-04-2012, 12:57 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Yakupov seems to have a much different demeanor than Hall when it comes to media presentation. He's more of the goofy, fun loving type who will say anything and not care what anybody thinks similar to Ovy. Hall is more serious and politically correct when it comes to interviews similar to Toews although Hall is less uptight.
Yakupov can work on his media skills of course but he and Hall are nothing alike when it comes to talking to the media and i think that we've seen enough Yakupov interviews by now to get a proper guage of his personality.

I personally love Yakupov's personality and think that he is exactly what we need on this team but I just think that Tambellini and Stu aren't a fan of "characters" like Yakupov, they seem to like the more humble down to earth types like Murray.
Lowe seems to like the outgoing type of personality so it'll be interesting to see if he has any influence in regards to who will be picked.
I understand what you're saying, I am just not sure it will have the negative effect you fear. For almost everyone here, it seems like Nail's interviews and personality have only solidified the fact that we want him. I might be projecting, but I think Oilers management will see that too.

As a side note, what are people's thoughts about perhaps having another poll to see where HFOil currently sits on the draft pick issue? I can add it to this thread if people are interested.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:59 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I understand what you're saying, I am just not sure it will have the negative effect you fear. For almost everyone here, it seems like Nail's interviews and personality have only solidified the fact that we want him. I might be projecting, but I think Oilers management will see that too.

As a side note, what are people's thoughts about perhaps having another poll to see where HFOil currently sits on the draft pick issue? I can add it to this thread if people are interested.
Agree 100% and yes it would be interesting to see where most stand.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Love how he walked into the airport with his collar popped up!

Old
06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
I have a feeling that Yakupov's cocky attitude will completely turn them off, they love these humble types based on their track record so Yakupov's personality could actually work as a negative IMO.
I disagree. And there are a few reasons why

1. I see a distinction between cocky and confident. The kid has some knackers. You have to if you're driven to be the best. I'm not picking up on the arrogance and condescension that is typical of cockiness. He says what he thinks and because of that he may be misunderstood at times. That might be the only downside. Nothing I've heard of him suggests that his team mates or anyone else dislikes him or thinks he has a bad attitude.

2. I think a lot of the 'humble types' are a lot different in real life than in interviews. They've been coached on what to say and how to say it. They are definitely being filtered, either by themselves, or by proxy, to present an image that is inoffensive and cliche. You get a lot of: "well obviously we're going to give it a hunert 'n ten percent and obviously play 'y'know obviously a full 60 minute game and obviously finish all our checks and obviously hope that the pucks obviously bounce 'y'know obviously our way". This isn't what these guys are like in the locker room or any other part of their lives. Just because they're swinging at every softball Gene Principe throws at them, doesn't mean they're all "aww schucks" everywhere else.

3. You need players with some fire. It comes across differently with every guy, but deep down its the same. They want to win and they want to be the best. RNH is a quiet kid. But I don't doubt that he's as driven to win as anybody in the game. He's just not going to tell you much about it. Yakupov has that same fire. He just doesn't care to filter it for you. I find that refreshing.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:

Well, i hope you're right. When it boils down to it, we are all speculating on what management thinks anyway, nobody really knows. I'm just projecting what they are thinking based on track record but who really knows.

Adding a poll is a good idea but i don't think there will be much suspense. If anything, it'll be more lopsided in Yakupov's favor after the combine interviews.
I haven't seen HFOil this unified since TOPPEP.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Maybe that push for Anaheim's first overall for Gags and our second has some steam to it?? What else would it take to grab that pick?
I would be amazed if we could pull that trade off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpMorg View Post
Gags and a second round pick for Anaheims first overall seems a bit of a stretch.
IMO more than a bit, but I wouldn't complain if it came to fruition.

Quote:
Hall is confident bordering on cocky and they chose him over Seguin. I don't think Yakupov's attitude will be a turn off at all. My only worries with them not taking him are based on his position and our team's tendency to think they are smarter than everyone else.
As others have said, Seguin IMO seemed more full of himself. Smug for the most part.

06-04-2012, 01:16 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Yakupov says he was blown away by the history on display at the rink and inside the dressing room. Said he wants to sleep here.

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
Yakupov jokes he answered, "two," when Oilers asked if he had a girlfriend. "Maybe I'll have #3 here," he laughed after. Was kidding.

Love him

Old
06-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessikaLovejoy View Post
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Yakupov says he was blown away by the history on display at the rink and inside the dressing room. Said he wants to sleep here.

Yakupov jokes he answered, "two," when Oilers asked if he had a girlfriend. "Maybe I'll have #3 here," he laughed after. Was kidding.

Love him
hahhaha awesome.. how can you not love a kid like this?

He could have thousands of girlfriends here if he wanted

Old
06-04-2012, 01:21 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Agree 100% and yes it would be interesting to see where most stand.
Quote:
Well, i hope you're right. When it boils down to it, we are all speculating on what management thinks anyway, nobody really knows. I'm just projecting what they are thinking based on track record but who really knows.

Adding a poll is a good idea but i don't think there will be much suspense. If anything, it'll be more lopsided in Yakupov's favor after the combine interviews.
I haven't seen HFOil this unified since TOPPEP.
Very true, none of us really know. Tambo is tough to read.

I tend to agree, it probably won't be much of a change, but I still think it is worth doing.

Poll is up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
As others have said, Seguin IMO seemed more full of himself. Smug for the most part.
Indeed. I was mistaken in comparing the two based on the cocky factor. But my point about Hall's confidence not being a turn off for the team is still valid though.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:21 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:

Maybe we should have a poll to see if we really need another poll?

Old
06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
hahhaha awesome.. how can you not love a kid like this?

He could have thousands of girlfriends here if he wanted
better than pronger having one and forcing us to trade him.. lol

Old
06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
i demand a third poll to see if anyone thinks your new poll demands are nessesary

Old
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
We haven't had a poll about the 1st pick for a month or so, and it is post combine so maybe some opinions have changed. I don't see the harm in having another poll about this. People can always avoid voting if they want.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Puritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Love him

Old
06-04-2012, 01:52 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Love him
Seriously? This guy XD Draft him. Draft him now.

My friend and I got into a pretty heated discussion about Murray and Yakupov. She argues that the Oilers will see Murray fitting in with the team better. I don't disagree that he'd slot in nicely but I don't see how anyone could dislike Yakupov's character. Guy is fun off the ice and intense on the ice.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Tambellini hasn't given us any reason to believe that he's creative enough or saavy enough to pull off a simple trade let alone a complicated draft day swap to acquire a second top ten pick.
Can you please show me how many times in the past 5 seasons this has happened after the conclusion of a season, before a draft?

(This doesn't include Kessel for the Seguin pick).

Thx thx.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:53 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
What's a blazer?
LOL. Seriously?

I was flying in and just missed Yak at the airport. Too bad.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
SometimesY

He doesn't like clubbing and drinking (maybe it's a religion thing?), but I don't think RNH goes out as much as Eberle and Hall, do you think he would go out to a club and have a pop as a team thing?

There were times when they went out last year, except Smyth.

Then again, if you have three girlfriends what's the point of going out

Old
06-04-2012, 02:03 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Yak says he can play LW and has played there in the past. Also jokes that he can play goal and defense too, if needed. Very dry humor

Old
06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Can you please show me how many times in the past 5 seasons this has happened after the conclusion of a season, before a draft?

(This doesn't include Kessel for the Seguin pick).

Thx thx.

Twice in the last ten years. At least.

So 20%.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:11 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
From the Oilersnation article:

"I want to score, I want to get assists and I want to win. I donít care what team Iím on. Every team has a potential. Every team has good players and coaches. Any team can lose. Every team can win."

God I love this kid. He has the exactly right attitude.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Booya42
Have a McDavid day!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

"I want to score, I want to get assists and I want to win. I donít care what team Iím on. Every team has a potential. Every team has good players and coaches. Any team can lose. Every team can win."

My fav quote by him so far.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:16 PM
SometimesY

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

He and Hall have similar attitudes..love it.

Closed Thread