HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
I like that they have Reinhart there. He reminds me of a less mean Chris Pronger. If we can get Yak at 1 and then make a trade and draft Reinhart I would be ecstatic

Old
06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
im pretty sure it went like this...............

Stu: ok i have my guy, let go around the table and see who everyone likes

blind guy with no ears: "ryan murray"
foriegn kid with sweater vest and green slacks with velcro shoes: "i pick grigorenko"
griffin reinharts grandma: "i pick griffy"
treenasoil+some swedish poster on hfoil: "forsberg 100%"

Stu: "im taking yakupov, ok well we have our 5, release that to stauffer"
Haha, I enjoyed this post.

On a quick aside: it is weird to see how Dumba's name is no longer even mentioned by any posters (ok maybe seldomly by IATL). Surprises me that Reinhart is ahead of him in the eyes of the Oilers brass.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Dumba has too many question marks to be seriously considered for #1. At #1 you want a player with a good combination of potential and probable NHL performance. Dumba may turn out to be the best defenseman in the draft, or he could end up not playing a single NHL game. Far too risky for #1.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-04-2012, 03:54 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'm surprised they are considering Reinhart as #1, but certainly not surprised they are looking at him.

If they are looking at Grigorenko and not Gally, that is interesting to me.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:56 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Haha, I enjoyed this post.

On a quick aside: it is weird to see how Dumba's name is no longer even mentioned by any posters (ok maybe seldomly by IATL). Surprises me that Reinhart is ahead of him in the eyes of the Oilers brass.
Maybe it's just me but I think Reinhart is the best dman in this draft. His progression throughout the year was very impressive. I thought he was only "ok" at beginning of season and couldn't figure out hype. Then watching him get better and better was awesome to see. Yeah he occasionally gets beat but he has such a strong stick that he ties players up and then wins the puck battles. As he fills out and develops better footwork he will be absolutely dominant out there. He already is very good at transition game. Honestly I see no weaknesses in his game. If we can get him and Yak it will be quite the draft for the Oilers

Old
06-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Dumba has too many question marks to be seriously considered for #1. At #1 you want a player with a good combination of potential and probable NHL performance. Dumba may turn out to be the best defenseman in the draft, or he could end up not playing a single NHL game. Far too risky for #1.
I agree with what you said about Dumba, just interesting to me that when we thought we were picking #2-#4 he was one of the most discussed prospects with regards to upside and what not. Now obviously that was when the prospects were still playing and still helping or hampering their stock. Just a comment in passing.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
I have a feeling the Oilers have decided on who they're going to pick, but they're keeping the other ones around because they're wondering if they can get another top pick.

Probably won't happen, but you never know.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:20 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Few interesting tidbits from Gregor's article on ON.

Quote:
He said that as of today Edmonton is the only team he's scheduled to visit with prior to the draft. I'd be surprised if only the Oilers wanted to tour him around, but he Columbus doesn't bring him in then it would seem clear they have no intentions of taking him. In 2010 the Bruins had Hall and Seguin come to town, just like the Oilers did. If he doesn't go to Columbus, then all the rumblings about them wanting to take a D-man would seem accurate.
and

Quote:
Rick Valette, Ryan Murray's agent told me that Murray is scheduled to be in town Thursday evening and then he'll spend Friday meeting and touring with the Oilers. Murray was in Montreal today visiting with the Canadiens.

06-04-2012, 04:25 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I have a feeling the Oilers have decided on who they're going to pick, but they're keeping the other ones around because they're wondering if they can get another top pick.

Probably won't happen, but you never know.
Yeah, I was wondering if they were bringing Murray and Grigorenko to Edmonton to see if it would be worth trading some current talent to get them.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Swedishhockeyfan

The amount of people that have jumped aboard the Galchenyuk bangwagon is really scary tbh, Suddently after having an average 6 game playoff series he is getting considerations over Grigorenko which i find very disturbing. Don't have anything against Galchenyuk tho just don't understand why he's suddenly gods gift to earth.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Eager4oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishhockeyfan View Post
The amount of people that have jumped aboard the Galchenyuk bangwagon is really scary tbh, Suddently after having an average 6 game playoff series he is getting considerations over Grigorenko which i find very disturbing. Don't have anything against Galchenyuk tho just don't understand why he's suddenly gods gift to earth.
Maybe because his knee injury has been dismissed at the combine. A big, speedy center with a good shot and hockey sense is a hot commodity. I don't know if he lives up to the billing or not, but the idea of who this player may be is wonderful.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishhockeyfan View Post
Iirc he was touted higher than grig going into this season by many.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigeonCamera View Post
via Twitter.

Oilers are down to 5 players for #1 overall pick according to Head Scout Stu MacGregor: Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray, Reinhart.

Mods, please merge if this should live somewhere else.

Any surprises there?
Why would the Oilers even consider releasing this information through Stauffer. All organizations have scouting staff. I don't understand why if you truly believe Reinhart is a top 5 guy, you would tell the world; especially when you might consider making a trade to get another pick in the top 5 so you could select him.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
he also seems to have that compete level that some are saying grigorenko is missing. no injuries and having that compete level makes him very popular, also forsberg as well.

keep in mind that one of these guys is who the leafs will end up taking so the media has already started talking them up to make burke sound like a jean-e-ous

Old
06-04-2012, 04:44 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post
Well, Stu obviously doesn't listen to - or care about - pre draft rankings.
i dont believe that in the least.

to act like he lives in a vacuum all year and then starts studying every single kid to see which one meets his "criteria" of top 5 picks is hilarious. lets face it, the "pre-draft" rankings arent completely based on some third-party organizations who completely dictate the trends of "who is hot in hockey."

the gravity comes from all over the place (media, third party, word of mouth, eventful performances by said player, etc, etc, etc)... if he's unaware of that gravity: he is an idiot.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:46 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
lol @ the poll, the only person that voted trade down is someone who has never posted.......here ever lol when the mass populace agrees..........surley the oilers do as well

DOAN DOAN DOAN DOAN DOAN DOAN DOAN DOAN .................................um DERP

Old
06-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigeonCamera View Post
via Twitter.

Oilers are down to 5 players for #1 overall pick according to Head Scout Stu MacGregor: Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray, Reinhart.

Mods, please merge if this should live somewhere else.

Any surprises there?
5 players ahead of gally? no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Are you kidding??

Being "down to 5 players for #1 overall pick" is the surprising part.
meh, its surprising if true, which i doubt.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
lol @ the poll, the only person that voted trade down is someone who has never posted.......here ever lol when the mass populace agrees..........surley the oilers do as well

DOAN DOAN DOAN DOAN DOAN DOAN DOAN DOAN .................................um DERP
I really wanted to have an 100% poll.

Haters gonna hate.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Really?

Dumba is one of the youngest players in the draft.

Teams are looking for help ASAP.

That's why an over-rated poseur like Murray is being considered.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
i dont believe that in the least.

to act like he lives in a vacuum all year and then starts studying every single kid to see which one meets his "criteria" of top 5 picks is hilarious. lets face it, the "pre-draft" rankings arent completely based on some third-party organizations who completely dictate the trends of "who is hot in hockey."

the gravity comes from all over the place (media, third party, word of mouth, eventful performances by said player, etc, etc, etc)... if he's unaware of that gravity: he is an idiot.
Then Yakupov should be the obvious choice for Stu and the Oilers. Having a group of 5 tells me they're preparing to trade the pick or trade up into top 5.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Maybe it's just me but I think Reinhart is the best dman in this draft. His progression throughout the year was very impressive. I thought he was only "ok" at beginning of season and couldn't figure out hype. Then watching him get better and better was awesome to see. Yeah he occasionally gets beat but he has such a strong stick that he ties players up and then wins the puck battles. As he fills out and develops better footwork he will be absolutely dominant out there. He already is very good at transition game. Honestly I see no weaknesses in his game. If we can get him and Yak it will be quite the draft for the Oilers
I really like Reinhart. If it werent for Yakupov I wouldnt be disappointed with taking Reinhart at all. He could become the next Shea Weber/Chris Pronger.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Few interesting tidbits from Gregor's article on ON.

and
Probably the most interesting info to come out of this game of musical chairs.

I also agree with Gregor's final thought as well - I would be shocked if the Oilers don't take Yakupov as well, he just has too much potential to pass over.

With rumors about the Anaheim and Carolina picks being openly shopped, makes more sense that the Oilers are looking at Reinhart/Grigorenko as additional late top 10 picks, rather than taking them by trading down or using the 1st overall on them.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Really?

Dumba is one of the youngest players in the draft.

Teams are looking for help ASAP.

That's why an over-rated poseur like Murray is being considered.
What he said is fair. Dumba IMO has he highest ceiling of any d man in this draft. But with his wild play style and his smaller set it also makes him a big risk.

He's a great but intimidating prospect.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I really like Reinhart. If it werent for Yakupov I wouldnt be disappointed with taking Reinhart at all. He could become the next Shea Weber/Chris Pronger.
I don't think he has enough of a mean streak.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:01 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
What he said is fair. Dumba IMO has he highest ceiling of any d man in this draft. But with his wild play style and his smaller set it also makes him a big risk.

He's a great but intimidating prospect.
Saying he might not play a game in the nhl?

Alex Plante has played in the nhl.

So has Corey Potter.

Lets get real here.

Closed Thread