HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Dean Lombardi's Vision

Old
06-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

vCash: 500
Dean Lombardi's Vision

Our boys are doing it on the ice but there is a reason why all of the parts came together.

Lombardi, unlike many other GMs who inherited a bad team and the team stayed bad, had a vision all along that he's stuck with. He's always been vocal about it as we all know and he's been learning as he goes. But he's stayed the course throughout. I often personally take it as an insult when he built San Jose and then the fans there give the credit to Doug Wilson, who merely played with the parts Lombardi brought. Even Couture was drafted by his scouting staff using a piece, Toskala, that was traded for that pick.

While he's been with the Kings, not only has he put in a system, philosophy and personnel in place, he's also stayed true to the course he sold us. And his vision is wide, including not only the players but the behind the scenes guys and even our farm team. Many times he had no good options during a situation/event where he could change the roster and stayed true to his course, such as when Briere and Drury got overpaid. So many times there were deals to be had, very bad ones, that he stayed away from. So many times he was handcuffed on UFA deals because our team/franchise just didn't appeal to big names. For this he was labeled as the guy who couldn't make the big deal. Read that sentence and LOL now. Last three events in a row, two trade deadlines and an off season, Lombardi has made the biggest deal; he acquired and managed the assets to do those deals.

Because Lombardi had a vision, even when he couldn't make a good big move, the team was constantly improving. The young guys, especially the forwards, learned how to play defense through the hiring of a defensive minded coach. Terry Murray set the table for Darryl Sutter to sup at. Look at the development of Anze Kopitar and Jonathan Quick. Before these guys, the Kings had never developed a young #1 center or a #1 goaltender. (Bernie Nicholls was just raw talent and in the end was traded...Jimmy Carson was rushed and traded as well.) While the Sakic and Forsbergs along with the Yzermans were winning Cups, we were hoping Olli Jokinen would do something. When we brought up King and Nolan this time around and they just fit in, it's because for a couple of years now, both Manchester and LA played very similar systems by design. Jonathan Quick...the entire NHL including us thought Bernier would be our man but DL just develops goalies his way...he had Kiprusoff, Toskala and Nabokov at the same time, now we have Quick and Bernier. Kings firsts... The handling of Voynov...the development of Simmonds... The drafting of guys like Clifford and Simmonds who were reaches.

And the draft...drafting is hit or miss. But Lombardi works so hard and has an idea of what kinds of players he wants, high character guys who don't crumble under pressure...when he hit in the draft, we got someone really useful. No Zherdevs, no Schremps, no headcases... Everyone hits or misses...when was the last time Detroit hit a guy like Datsyuk or Zetterberg?

The point is, because Lombardi had a vision, things kept improving no matter our fortunes. We've dealt with a lot of adversity the last three years yet behind the scenes, things keep improving noticeably, incrementally. Now, in DL's 6th year, the 5th of the rebuild, we now have a complete team that will stay that way for years. All of the credit a guy like Dale Tallon or Brian Burke gets and they had overpriced rosters that had to be blown up later. We're about to win the Cup and we can still talk about getting Parise or Suter while keeping ALL of our core (our core is like 8 players too!). All of the other GMs have to build their rosters by the same rules, what is it that Lombardi does that lets him build this team like it is and not be in cap hell? Whatever it is, it's so special that it may be unique in this league. Look at our opponent New Jersey with the Kovacaphell their going to have; they're probably going to lose their captain and only other top notch scorer because of it. LA isn't going to lose sh**, err, anything!

Our core, according to Ror: Brown, Kopitar, Williams (re-upped!), Carter, Richards, Doughty, Voynov, Mitchell (re-upped!)...plus all of our best role players are either here for more years or are only RFA like Fraser.

And look at the other GMs where their team is perpetually bad. A lot of fans say Jay Feaster is a good GM. Others lament that he can't do much because ownership tied his hands. That all sounds like excuses when I think of Lombardi who went to his owner, a billionaire, and told him we will tank several years and thus tank earnings...and convinced them to totally rebuild. Other teams have won a Cup after many years of losing like Pittsburgh, Chicago and maybe in the distant future Edmonton. But those guys all had multiple top 3 picks and including multiple franchise players to be chosen. Lombardi did it with the pieces he had and only drafted in the top 3 once. (Imagine if Lombardi had the 3rd overall pick, within the top tier of that class that year, instead of the 4th...if he still wanted Hickey, he could have easily traded that pick down, gotten Hickey still and another significant asset as well...who knows?)

Lets just recap some major events and occurrences:

Scouting staff fired - new scouting staff has consistently brought in good NHLers and guys who might make the show

Convinced ownership AEG to fully rebuild - that's rarely heard of in the NHL

Rebuilt the goaltending corps- hired Bill Ranford, drafted and developed Bernier, developed Quick

Rebuilt the defensemen corps - remember when all we had was Denis Grebeshkov in the pipeline and Visnovsky on the big team? And signed (and re-signed) two of our best defenders in Scuderi and Mitchell

Defensive coach hired - Terry Murray teaches defense first and turns young studs like Kopitar into a two-way players

Amassed a top flight farm pipeline from a terrible one - with no #1 pick, only one top 3 pick...a lot of 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders in there...consistently got great value in the 2nd round (Voynov, Simmonds, Clifford and others who might still play or at least had a chance like Moller)

Finished the team with top flight players - three big trades in a row...nuff said

Allowed no horrible contracts or salary-dump type guys - not only are our hands not tied with no NTC/NMC clauses, our Cup winning team will have BIG CAP ROOM

I've always believed in Dean but on the eve of the culmination of years of work and criticism by many who didn't get "it" or him, I believe he deserves acknowledgment.

- R
.>|<.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:37 AM
damacles1156

Mmmm Dave Taylor scouting staff gets some credit from me.

They Picked Kopitar,Brown, Quick.

But all in all, I would like to thank AEG. AEG spent a lot of money so the Kings could have an opportunity to make this Run. AEG has spent more money, than it cost them to buy the team.

Kudos AEG, Kudos.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It's all about depth, and this team didn't have that until they called up Dwight King and Jordan Nolan and acquired Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson. That's one consistent pattern with all Cup contending teams, team depth up front. These playoffs are proving just how valuable it is to be able to roll four lines that are capable of being a threat to score or to shut down any line they are matched up against.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Mmmm Dave Taylor scouting staff gets some credit from me.

They Picked Kopitar,Brown, Quick.

But all in all, I would like to thank AEG. AEG spent a lot of money so the Kings could have an opportunity to make this Run. AEG has spent more money, than it cost them to buy the team.

Kudos AEG, Kudos.
Yes they do, both Taylor and AEG.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:53 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It's all about depth, and this team didn't have that until they called up Dwight King and Jordan Nolan and acquired Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson. That's one consistent pattern with all Cup contending teams, team depth up front. These playoffs are proving just how valuable it is to be able to roll four lines that are capable of being a threat to score or to shut down any line they are matched up against.
For sure...how much did we struggle to score and win with that amazing D-corps and 4 solid centers down the middle? Heck I was even thinking of converting JJ to a forward at one time.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:07 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post

Convinced ownership AEG to fully rebuild - that's rarely heard of in the NHL
*********... he tried to convince them and they told him to suck eggs... thus the season of Nagy + 4 FA frenzy...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
*********... he tried to convince them and they told him to suck eggs... thus the season of Nagy + 4 FA frenzy...
That's true, but then he went back again after that and succeeded. And then the rebuild began with the trading away of certain vets like Norstrom and Cammalleri .

Old
06-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
I believe those guys were signed as temporary solutions while the rebuild got under way. Signing whoever were out there expensively did not impede the rebuild. They didn't cost any assets and they didn't take away roster spots from players that needed big-league experience.

Sure ownership and Management made it out as if those guys would make the team competitive right away - they wanted to sell tickets for the games.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:50 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

A world of credit to Lombardi, that's for sure. He had a plan, made some BOLD moves and look at where we are now. Even if it's a fluke and this team bombs the upcoming seasons, he still put together a team that's currently two wins away from the Stanley Cup.

Also some love for the unsung heroes. AEG for signing the checks and allowing the signing of key players to huge contracts and the trades for even bigger contracts. Dave Taylor for having a big hand in what's now our core. Terry Murray for creating much of the current identity of this team, the defensive system in place, the cycling along the boards... I don't think he gets enough credit. Also the transformation of our forwards from dynamic scorers to top two way players didn't happen over night, it was Terry who molded them over a couple of years.

I got to stop myself before I write a whole "thank you" speech, we've still got a bit to go

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:57 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

My appreciation of Dean Lombardi and his staff is well documented. I am very pleased to see them having the success they deserve. Dean did have a plan and because he stuck with it the Kings should be contenders for the next several years.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:15 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

@ Rorschach - nice summary and follow up comments.

There is allot of credit to spread around for the Kings amazing playoff run, but DL had the plan and ran the show. Hopefully the fans that endlessly ripped him over the years can feel gratitude for the man's efforts, methods and results. We're two wins away from the greatest moment in Kings history. I also want to say, "thank you Dean Lombardi, you did a wonderful job."

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Pharseer

vCash: 431
Yea

He said 3-5 years, and this is the 5th year, I wasn't expecting the Kings to go further than anytime in their history, this soon, but I couldn't be prouder of DL, the staff he has assembled, and our KINGS!

Pharseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
@ Rorschach - nice summary and follow up comments.

There is allot of credit to spread around for the Kings amazing playoff run, but DL had the plan and ran the show. Hopefully the fans that endlessly ripped him over the years can feel gratitude for the man's efforts, methods and results. We're two wins away from the greatest moment in Kings history. I also want to say, "thank you Dean Lombardi, you did a wonderful job."

Thanks!

I forgot to add one more...convinces AEG that this team that got knocked out twice in the first round was worth spending to the cap for.

- R

Old
06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharseer View Post
He said 3-5 years, and this is the 5th year, I wasn't expecting the Kings to go further than anytime in their history, this soon, but I couldn't be prouder of DL, the staff he has assembled, and our KINGS!

We incubated for a couple more years and came out fully grown! Hehe

Old
06-04-2012, 10:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Any time I've torn into Ol' Deano, the Kings take a giant leap forward.

For better or worse, the Kings are about to win the Cup with 1 more win, and in position to be contenders for the foreseeable future. It's strange to think how much better the team actually could be.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:17 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

I was up and down on DL...mostly up...though some of those downs (Blake/Beachball/Jones/Moreau) have been doozies...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Build from the net out and down the middle.

Kings showing the "perfect" model.

Kings top six is sexy and the bottom six with Nolan and King are beastly.

Stoll has grown into his third line roll.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

Re-sign bro? Or no?

Old
06-04-2012, 10:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

Now it's the perfect model??? I'm too happy to say much else.

Last edited by KINGS17: 06-05-2012 at 01:45 AM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Re-sign bro? Or no?
I would re-sign all three UFAs. Penner, Stoll and Fraser.

Stoll may be the only one that stays though, I can see him taking a discount to stay in la. I can see someone giving Penner a big contract. Not sure with Fraser, he may sign a short term deal to stay in la.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:

Stoll may be the only one that stays though, I can see him taking a discount to stay in la. I can see someone giving Penner a big contract. Not sure with Fraser, he may sign a short term deal to stay in la.
Penns is troubling...he's great right now and we want to sign everyone. But he had most of the year off so his legs are good. So will we see this for 82 games and another 16-28 games in the playoffs? Or will he be all tired and such...

Old
06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Penner took the money once before. I can see him doing it again.

Have to be careful because even though Penner is playing good right now, we still don't know who the real Penner is. How much of him is the work of Sutter? You can get yourself into trouble paying guys after the playoffs.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Penner leaves -> Gagne in.. Simple enough, I want Stoll & Penns but if Penns walks I won't dwell on too much. Although Penner's size does make a difference with the way we've been playing imo.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Penner leaves -> Gagne in.. Simple enough, I want Stoll & Penns but if Penns walks I won't dwell on too much. Although Penner's size does make a difference with the way we've been playing imo.
Maybe it is that simple...Gagne 75% of the time, Toffoli 25% of the time... Or maybe Penns goes and we sign Parise...although Richards has beaten him black and blue this series, lol.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:11 AM
rick3652

Quote:

If he signs all then he will lose Quick. Quick is a UFA after next season so he will have to be sign before Jan 2013. The Cap will be lower next year so only so much money to go around.

rick3652 is offline   Reply With Quote