Old
06-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
The NFL Cleveland Browns' running back Jim Brown, arguably the best back of his era, walked away from football at the height of his career with a year left on his contract.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html...rts/07.13.html

Sound like Timmy has decided to do the same.

Whether he announced his retirement or took the confusing stance he has, the fact remains that the Bruins under the current CBA are on the hook for his last Cap year. Chia and company knew the risks (not fulfilling the contract) / rewards ( winning the Cup) when they gave a 4 year contract to a 35 year old.

As it stands now, it looks like Tim has bigger fish to fry then playing next year and I wish him all the best in his pursuit of happiness.
Ken Dryden
Done in 8 years.

( he also sat out a year)

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
06-03-2012, 12:11 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastinB's View Post
Hasek didn't come back how many times?

Not hard to come back and I guarantee it wouldn't cause such a circus if he just said he was retiring cause blah blah...

Instead its turned into a huge circus and ****fest...Totally unnecessary.

You can come back from retirement anytime you want.
Like Wally said, Tim retiring technically hurts the team even more because the contract really does become unmovable. Hell, for all we know Thomas went to Chiarelli and said "I'm thinking of retiring" and Chia said "wait a sec, just take a year off. then I can move your contract. win win! THEN you can retire"

Who knows!

Old
06-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Lockheed301
Scope Dope

vCash: 850
Quote:

Not hard to come back and I guarantee it wouldn't cause such a circus if he just said he was retiring cause blah blah...

Maybe Tim is the type of guy that means it when he says "I'm done"?

Old
06-03-2012, 12:12 PM
BruinsFTW

Send a message via AIM to BruinsFTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
From a Bruins perspective you really, really don't want him to retire.
Your 100% correct on that...but wouldn't it be easier and make more sense for him? I don't know. I just think it would cause a lot less controversy and backlash from fans. I'd definitely rather him not. I'd rather him get moved for a bag of pucks to someone trying to hit the floor at this rate. Ideally I'd rather him go to someone who he'd play for and we get a decent return. But ya don't always get what you want in life do ya?

Old
06-03-2012, 12:14 PM
BruinsFTW

Send a message via AIM to BruinsFTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Like Wally said, Tim retiring technically hurts the team even more because the contract really does become unmovable. Hell, for all we know Thomas went to Chiarelli and said "I'm thinking of retiring" and Chia said "wait a sec, just take a year off. then I can move your contract. win win! THEN you can retire"

Who knows!
I would of quoted this with my response to Wally...Hes 100% correct, and I'd obviously rather him not retire because it handcuffs us with that money. I just think it wouldn't be such a circus if he just flat out said I'm retiring because blah blah...But it is what it is. July 1st will be very interesting for many reasons thats for sure.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockheed301 View Post
There likely is. But I don't need to wait for Haggs, bcbruin or OOG to break whatever the extra stuff is if a small part of it is his family. Family and friends are THE most important thing to me and I totally understand if he feels he has abandoned them a bit. I've been in the Air Force for just 2 years and deployed once for just six months and I already feel that I have distanced myself from my wife, friends and family just by doing my job. Is he trying to force his way out? Maybe. Is he trying to control where he goes? Maybe. Did he just say that at least part of it is personal stuff? Yes he did. I think TT can do whatever he wants to make himself happy. Especially when it comes to his family, friends and even his faith. I guess some folks think a game is just way more important than that.
I don't think anything is more important than friends and family. But I also think we all have an obligation to fulfill our responsibilities.

We could have arrived at the same outcome in a less public and less disruptive way had this all been taken care of in private prior to the announcement that he's going to take a year off.

As a Bruins fan I don't like this one bit. As a person, I understand friends/family commitments, but I also don't think it's all about wanting to spend more time with his family. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. I'm sure it's a factor, but I don't think it's all of it.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:16 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
this is what he posted this on his facebook today 17 mins ago...continue
Nice mix of God, family, and product promotion. Gotta love America.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Your 100% correct on that...but wouldn't it be easier and make more sense for him? I don't know. I just think it would cause a lot less controversy and backlash from fans. I'd definitely rather him not. I'd rather him get moved for a bag of pucks to someone trying to hit the floor at this rate. Ideally I'd rather him go to someone who he'd play for and we get a decent return. But ya don't always get what you want in life do ya?
The easiest thing for him to do if he wanted to screw the team, fans, Faneuil Hall and Old Ironsides would be to retire.

So since he's not doing that other things are in play. Could be his family. Could be if he wants to continue. If he does, where?

How some fans feel........don't mean ****.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Scruffy
Beast Mode

And Curt Schilling is sending him a Thank You letter for taking him out of the headlines.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Lockheed301
Scope Dope

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I don't think anything is more important than friends and family. But I also think we all have an obligation to fulfill our responsibilities.

We could have arrived at the same outcome in a less public and less disruptive way had this all been taken care of in private prior to the announcement that he's going to take a year off.

As a Bruins fan I don't like this one bit. As a person, I understand friends/family commitments, but I also don't think it's all about wanting to spend more time with his family. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. I'm sure it's a factor, but I don't think it's all of it.
I don't think it's just about friends/family/religion either. But to me, if that's even a small part of it I'm fine with it. If family means a lot to him and it's a factor in his decision I don't see how people can fault him.

Old
mashmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
you know that not everything and every ONE on facebook isnt real, right?
Mind=Blown

Old
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

This is honestly just really embarrassing as a Bruins fan and I look forward to the day where the B's no longer have any association with this moron.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:20 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
I would of quoted this with my response to Wally...Hes 100% correct, and I'd obviously rather him not retire because it handcuffs us with that money. I just think it wouldn't be such a circus if he just flat out said I'm retiring because blah blah...But it is what it is. July 1st will be very interesting for many reasons thats for sure.
Maybe Tim and Chiarelli underestimated the "circus" that this would become

I think the average fan doesn't give a flying donkey about cap hits and cap space or know anything about 35+ contracts. /shrug

Old
Dr Quincy

Quote:

As has already been stated: If he retires, it is worse for the Bruins orgaization.

Old
northeastern

I seem to be the minority but I'm not backing Timmy at all here. I wish him the best but this is cowardly. I am still hoping the true story comes out. The three fs seem vague...

This is a terrible end to his career here in Boston. Goodbye Tim.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:21 PM
cat400

Quote:
Ken Dryden
Done in 8 years.

I referred to him in a previous post along with Pat Lafontaine and Jacques Lemaire.

Heck even the all time greatest lefthander Sandy Koufax walked away from MLB at the zenith of his game.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Ken Dryden
Done in 8 years.

Yeah but he was a pretty dumb uneducated guy.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:24 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
Ken Dryden
Done in 8 years.

in fairness, ken dryden retired early to start what he considered his "real" career, and the year he sat out was partially borne of a salary dispute and partially out of a need to develop said real career

ken dryden also is one of the most erudite dudes ever and specifically calls out the self serving nature of declaring someone's want to be with their family at least once in The Game

Old
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
I referred to him in a previous post along with Pat Lafontaine and Jacques Lemaire.

Heck even the all time greatest lefthander Sandy Koufax walked away from MLB at the zenith of his game.
Barry Sanders
Bird could have hung on longer
Marciano

Also: Didn't Randy Gregg retire to become a DR?

Old
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post

All good points Kate.

My position is that even if be ing with his family is only a sliver of all this, he has my full support.
I have been thru a lot in life. Some good, some not so good. I have wished many times I could rewind so I didn't miss something due to work and travel. But I'm not a rich man and work had to be done.

Now I'm better off and the only thing that matters to me are those that I love. Every thing I do revolves around them.
That's me and my life. I've learned to work to live not the other way around. Seeing my son looking into the stands to find me, make eye contact, is worth more to me than a Stanley Cup.

I'm also a Bruins fan longer than most here. Been here longer than most. I know what this does to the team. But you know what? It's a game. The Bruins will survive.

I'm ok with this because I'd probably do the same thing.

Last edited by Gee Wally: 06-03-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 12:25 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Yeah but he was a pretty dumb uneducated guy.
the awesome part about html5.1 is the embedded <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags, it really makes posts jump off the page

Old
06-03-2012, 12:27 PM
cat400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
This is honestly just really embarrassing as a Bruins fan and I look forward to the day where the B's no longer have any association with this moron.
The last Bruins' Stanley Cup winning goalie prior to Thomas, Gerry Cheevers, jumped ship for the money of the upstart WHA.

At the times we Bruins fans were ticked at both the Bruins management and Cheevers.

However he was welcomed back several years later with open arms.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:28 PM
ssault
SW BROONS

Old
06-03-2012, 12:29 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
WOW. I take a few days off from this place and this is what I come back to. I remember posts getting hammered because Rask should get more starts next year because posters thought Timmy could walk on water. People should not let their anger get in the way of the fact that Thomas led the team to their first Cup since I was a teenager.

(Or was that fact posted back in Part 1 of the dramatics ?)

Old
06-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Good luck Thomas, with whatever you will be doing or where ever you end up.

Thanks for bringing the cup back to Boston with your heroic play in the playoffs, but it's time to look to the present and future and Rask is ready to take over.

Closed Thread