Notices

Tim Thomas may take the year off? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 01:15 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Thomas statement he wont play next year is probably accurate if the Bruins keep him, traded him to Columbus or Edmonton. He will not be a rental.

Chiarelli and Bill Zito, Thomas agent will get a deal done that will satisfy Boston, Thomas and Zito, and the team that gets him- and get another client Tuukka a nice three year deal at about 4 Mil average.

The LA Kings are about tell the hockey world just get to the dance and then find a girl or guy. There will be teams wanting to do it that way and Tim Thomas is a nice start.

Boston likely will get decent compensation (to me a second and bottom 6 potential prospect will do)

Thomas will end up near his family (Colordao would seem to be ideal, but San Jose looking at the bling to the South may be ready to get TT and take a couple of year shot with greybeards Jumbo Joe and Patrick Marleau) and probably take a reduced rate on a two year extension....say $4.5 a year that is a bargain if he is on his game and sends a message it is about the family and not extracting every last dollar.

The team that gets him makes out with a star player who gives hope to a team likely in need of it.

If we see video of Tim Thomas in Bermuda in Decemeber swimming with his kids and the dolphins only then will I believe any of this sit out stuff.

I'd take a year off to if I had no control over where I was going and could be sent to Columbus. Kill the trade Tim, kill it. Let your agent be the one who places you not Boston

Old
06-03-2012, 01:15 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

I think people are DREAMING if they think we will get a return for the guy now. It's pure fantasy. Any deal will be strictly a cap space deal. Think Vlad Malakhov getting traded to the Sharks, along with a first round pick for one bag of pucks and one roll of tape.

If the floor stays the same in the new CBA I could see us dealing Timmy to someone, along with a first round pick for a minor league scrub of some sort. If Chia can deal Timmy and bring back almost no salary in return he should immediately get inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:16 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if all of us who work regular jobs could just take a year off whenever we wanted to because we already have millions in the bank? Even if we had a contract to work for another year and our employer couldn't use our salary to hire anyone else so we're basically screwing them?
wouldn't it be nice if we signed a four year contract with our employer to stay there and then our employer tried to move us to a different city twice?

Old
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
2012 2nd?
Depends on whether deal can be consummated before June 24th. I'd rather a 2013 2nd than a 2012 2nd.

Old
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
He signed the contract as did the Bruins - knowing full well what would happen if he didn't play it out.

Actually they didn't know. Bruins blew that deal because they somehow missed the 35+ rule.
Didn't Chiarelli think that since he signed Thomas to the extension 2 weeks before he was 35 it would be considered a less then 35 contract? I think he ****ed up at the time.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
If Tim has gotten all he can or has ever wanted out of playing in the NHL, why suck up his final year? So the Bruins can trade him for assets? So he didn't want to play to begin with and now he's forcing himself to continue playing as to not sidle the Bruins with his 5mil cap hit on a team he doesn't want to be on? I don't think anyone would do that unless they really need the money.
What would Tim Thomas have to do to make you think he's a bad guy? Serious question.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:17 PM
WBC8

Tim must be a really good actor, because it doesn't seem like he has any intention of playing this year, for anyone.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:18 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
What would Tim Thomas have to do to make you think he's a bad guy? Serious question.
Was Chiarelli a bad guy when he asked Thomas to waive his NTC one year into the deal?

Old
06-03-2012, 01:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I don't think TT will be traded. I actually feel he'll come back eventually.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
wouldn't it be nice if we signed a four year contract with our employer to stay there and then our employer tried to move us to a different city twice?
If we weren't stupid and actually read the contract that we were signing we would know that there was an agreed upon time whereafter we could be moved anywhere upon our employers' discretion.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:21 PM
WBC8

Quote:
If we weren't stupid and actually read the contract that we were signing we would know that there was an agreed upon time whereafter we could be moved anywhere upon our employers' discretion.
****ing Chiarelli tried to move him AFTER YEAR ONE! How does Chia come off as the victim here? Really?

Old
06-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Oh well, at least these boards are getting exciting again.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
unless you have a no-trade clause...

what's the point of a 4 year contract if you're going to move the guy a year into the deal.

Old
Spooner st

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice if all of us who work regular jobs could just take a year off whenever we wanted to because we already have millions in the bank? Even if we had a contract to work for another year and our employer couldn't use our salary to hire anyone else so we're basically screwing them?
No... the regular jobs are slaves... they have to work so they can pay for pro athletes.

Old
lostinthebronx

Quote:
Oh, boo hoo hoo - poor millionaire athlete who is hurt that the mean organization that gave him a $20 million contract had the nerve to look at all its options in an effort to improve the team. Poor Timmy, I feel so bad for him not having the financial resources to move his family at the drop of a hat if need be.

Old
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't think TT will be traded. I actually feel he'll come back eventually.
Exactly, once Rask strains his uterus and Khudobin plays to his AHL levels, Tim may come back in riding the white horse...

Relax Rask fans, just kidding...I know Rask doesn't have a uterus...

Old
06-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Didn't Chiarelli think that since he signed Thomas to the extension 2 weeks before he was 35 it would be considered a less then 35 contract? I think he ****ed up at the time.
Chiarelli thought that because he signed the extension before he turned 35 he was not a 35+ contract. When he did sign the extension he was already under contract, the new contract didn't start until he was 35 thus making it a 35+ contract.

Our capologist messed that one up.

Let's for a second assume Zito knew it was a 35+. Is it his responsibility to say "hey Peter, we won't sign that because its a 35+ contract" ?

Zito did his job, got the best deal possible for his client. Chia screwed that up

Old
06-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthebronx View Post
Oh, that's right, I keep forgetting that he single-handedly won us the Cup and no other players' hard work and effort had anything to do with the Bruins' success. A guy like Bergeron who has been a Bruin through some of the worst years of the franchise was just hanging around holding Saint Timmy's jock.
You know, it is possible not to like this situation and also not condemn Thomas as the anti-Christ.

I'm grateful for Thomas's effort in winning a Cup, and I always will be.

I can understand being upset or angry at him, but I can't understand any Bruins fan being so viciously hateful. Cripes.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:24 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Oh, boo hoo hoo - poor millionaire athlete who is hurt that the mean organization that gave him a $20 million contract had the nerve to look at all its options in an effort to improve the team. Poor Timmy, I feel so bad for him not having the financial resources to move his family at the drop of a hat if need be.
Yeah, put a Vezina winner on the market because he played a whole season hurt...Great asset management...You do realize that there is no Cup if Chia found a GM as dumb as he to make those deals, right? Remember, Chia did want Manny Fernandez over Thomas...

Old
06-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Give you an autograph.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:25 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Chiarelli thought that because he signed the extension before he turned 35 he was not a 35+ contract. When he did sign the extension he was already under contract, the new contract didn't start until he was 35 thus making it a 35+ contract.

Our capologist messed that one up.

Let's for a second assume Zito knew it was a 35+. Is it his responsibility to say "hey Peter, we won't sign that because its a 35+ contract" ?

Zito did his job, got the best deal possible for his client. Chia screwed that up
Exactly...he didn't realize it didn't count until July 1st.

Old
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Exactly, once Rask strains his uterus and Khudobin plays to his AHL levels, Tim may come back in riding the white horse...

Relax Rask fans, just kidding...I know Rask doesn't have a uterus...

Old
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
the smiley doesn't really help you prove your point.

the team and thomas entered into an agreement. a four year agreement. the team tried to move thomas after a year. everyone's at fault here.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:27 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
something else to remember- Chiarelli is very unplugged, very good guy from all accounts, well liked, has been on the ice, across the table, agent, assistant GM, and probably knows Bill Zito so well he knows his immediate family and even mother.

these guys are friends, and just like anyone of us reading this, there is business and friendships and they will balance this out and do something that friends do.

Do you guys really think the Bruins are ready to move on from Thomas? I do. Do you think Thomas is ready to move on from Boston? I do. And if the Thomas clan is going to live in Colorado no matter where he plays the rest of his career, and considering how much he like all of us probably want to be in our children's lives then he would logically want to be as close to Colorado if not Colorado as possible.

Is he ready to take a year off? sounds like if the status quo is in place or the Bruins try to do something he doesn't like he will- and I for one think he is NOT bluffing. But if he has some control in this, some say, and he can satisfy the family requirements thru location, team, and of course have to say it- extension, I think he will go.

this guy is as much about control and conviction as they come and he's exercising both right now folks

Old
06-03-2012, 01:27 PM
WBC8

Quote:
the smiley doesn't really help you prove your point.

the team and thomas entered into an agreement. a four year agreement. the team tried to move thomas after a year. everyone's at fault here.
Exactly...Maybe Tim wouldn't be such a hard ass right now had Chiarelli actually showed him any respect...What comes around goes around...It's a two way street... Chia didn't want to honor the contract a long time before Tim didn't. Of course Chia gets no **** for starting all of these hard feelings though...

Closed Thread