HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2012, 06:32 PM
  #851
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping it Blue View Post
How can you say it hasn't started yet? What do you think the management of hockey teams are doing at the moment? Once you're eliminated from the playoffs, the offseason starts. If that's not the case, then I think a few GMs around the league didn't get the memo.

That being said, it doesn't really make much sense for the Canucks to go ahead trade him before the draft.
Ok, let me rephrase that. IT hasn't started in earnest. Few deals generally get done before the SCF is over. See my post above as to what has to happen from Vancouver's point of view before this deal gets done. We had a couple of weeks waiting for Gillis to get his new contract and then for AV to get his. For Vancouver they need to get the list of teams from Luongo and work out a deal in principle for Cory Schneider. Lots of moving parts on this. Now that Thomas has retired for the year and Vokoun is gone we may see some more movement.

vanwest is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:32 PM
  #852
BlueStFX
Registered User
 
BlueStFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
But it isn't an inflated contract.

It's a 5.3M x 6/7 year deal, which is a great deal for a top 7 goaltender in today's NHL. Which is less than what he would currently get in free agency.

I can't wait until one of him or Schneider is dealt and this nonsense stops.
Wow, my bad. I thought he was breaking 6million a year. Sorry.

BlueStFX is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:33 PM
  #853
Holy Mackinaw
Registered User
 
Holy Mackinaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So in other words you think the price for a top 5 goalie is a bunch of ****?

Who are we discussing that is a top 5 goalie?

Holy Mackinaw is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:33 PM
  #854
Hackeybuff*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
]
I'm not sure a Cancuk fan should be lecturing fans of any team on goaltending. Between McLean and Luongo, there is a very good chance that a Cup was missed because of goaltending. But, hey, we know who is to blame, right?

But, you do know we are fans, right? We don't really have a say in whether we get Luongo, Reimder, Vokoun or Gump?


Because we don't want to give up our top prospect and the 5th overall? Why didn't we go for Nash when he was available? Not sure what your point is here.



Um, you do what Burke is doing, right? That the Leafs are one of the youngest teams in the league? This team is nowhere close to contending, so why give up young prospects for a 33-year-old goalie who will probably be 36 or 37 before the Leafs become a serious contender? Is the answer to that question not blatantly obvious?



So if we don't trade for Luongo now, we won't have a capable goalie in three years? How do other teams do this? Next summers UFA list is pretty impressive, BTW....



Sure I do. But he's not worth the 5th or Gardiner for a team clearly building for the future. Chicago? Maybe. Toronto? Not at that price. Lu does not make the Leafs a Cup contender right now.



And yet your fanbase and media were ready to run him out of town last June. I remember the front page of the Province after a playoff loss. LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-SER. Nice.



I think Schenn is going to be fine anyway, but yes, your point is valid. Your team tends to play better with a star goalie. Granted.

Lupul or Schenn, Ashton and a conditional 1st next year, provided the Leafs make playoffs that is a second if they don't.

Top 6 PPG forward, prospect and a likely 1st. None of LACK, no Gardiner.
Will you just stop it. Stop purposefully trying to get into fights with Canuck fans. It aint our fault your team has missed the playoffs for 8 straight years. Stop trying to get into fights.

Hackeybuff* is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
  #855
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
But it isn't an inflated contract.

It's a 5.3M x 6/7 year deal, which is a great deal for a top 7 goaltender in today's NHL. Which is less than what he would currently get in free agency.

I can't wait until one of him or Schneider is dealt and this nonsense stops.
There are 10 years left on the deal, speaking of nonsense.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
  #856
Diamonddog01
Registered User
 
Diamonddog01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
I'm not sure a Cancuk fan should be lecturing fans of any team on goaltending. Between McLean and Luongo, there is a very good chance that a Cup was missed because of goaltending. But, hey, we know who is to blame, right?
McLean? What does he have to do with anything? He didn't have anything to do with the 94 loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
]
And yet your fanbase and media were ready to run him out of town last June. I remember the front page of the Province after a playoff loss. LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-SER. Nice.
This is an outright lie.

Look - if Leafs fans don't want Luongo, that's fine. We're not trying to convince you to take him. We are clarifying his contract and him as a player.

This is a "Speculation: Roberto Luongo" thread afterall, if you don't want him, why are all of you Leafs and Bolts fans posting in this thread?

Solve your goaltending woes elsewhere. Teams have contacted the Canucks about him, but as of now Gillis isn't sure which direction he wants to take. He specifically stated he was going to talk to Roberto now that emotions have cooled. He also said that a Schneider/Luongo tandem is still a possibility.

Diamonddog01 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:36 PM
  #857
Diamonddog01
Registered User
 
Diamonddog01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
There are 10 years left on the deal, speaking of nonsense.
Sigh. Someone still doesn't understand the contract. Can't say I'm surprised.

Diamonddog01 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:37 PM
  #858
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,289
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Who are we discussing that is a top 5 goalie?
Roberto Luongo

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:39 PM
  #859
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
This is a "Speculation: Roberto Luongo" thread afterall, if you don't want him, why are all of you Leafs and Bolts fans posting in this thread?
Um, because that's the entire point of having a message board?

Quote:
Solve your goaltending woes elsewhere. Teams have contacted the Canucks about him, but as of now Gillis isn't sure which direction he wants to take. He specifically stated he was going to talk to Roberto now that emotions have cooled. He also said that a Schneider/Luongo tandem is still a possibility.
Wait... I've been told here countless times that I can't believe what Yzerman says. Is there some reason Gillis should be believed?


Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:40 PM
  #860
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
McLean? What does he have to do with anything? He didn't have anything to do with the 94 loss.



This is an outright lie.

Look - if Leafs fans don't want Luongo, that's fine. We're not trying to convince you to take him. We are clarifying his contract and him as a player.

This is a "Speculation: Roberto Luongo" thread afterall, if you don't want him, why are all of you Leafs and Bolts fans posting in this thread?

Solve your goaltending woes elsewhere. Teams have contacted the Canucks about him, but as of now Gillis isn't sure which direction he wants to take. He specifically stated he was going to talk to Roberto now that emotions have cooled. He also said that a Schneider/Luongo tandem is still a possibility.
Source?

stryfe604 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:41 PM
  #861
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Sigh. Someone still doesn't understand the contract. Can't say I'm surprised.
Everyone understands the contract. It's a legally binding document for the next 10 years. Is it likely Luongo may retire before then? It's very possible. Does that change the fact that it's a 10-year contract? No. It's 10 years up until the day he actually retires.

Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
  #862
Diamonddog01
Registered User
 
Diamonddog01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Um, because that's the entire point of having a message board?
Really?

So I should go into threads titled "Value of: Rick Nash" and write pages and pages of how the Canucks don't want Nash, and how crappy he is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Wait... I've been told here countless times that I can't believe what Yzerman says. Is there some reason Gillis should be believed?

Believe what you want to believe. I guess when the dust settles we'll see who was right and who was wrong.

Diamonddog01 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
  #863
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
There are 10 years left on the deal, speaking of nonsense.
Because Pronger is going to play another 5 years, and Hossa/Kovalchuk will play until they are 42?

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
  #864
Holy Mackinaw
Registered User
 
Holy Mackinaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
McLean? What does he have to do with anything? He didn't have anything to do with the 94 loss.
Which is why I said between McLean and Luongo.

McLean was awesome.

Holy Mackinaw is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:43 PM
  #865
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Really?

So I should go into threads titled "Value of: Rick Nash" and write pages and pages of how the Canucks don't want Nash, and how crappy he is?
Having seen no moderator post that what has been discussed in this thread is out of line, I would suppose you could.

Quote:
Believe what you want to believe. I guess when the dust settles we'll see who was right and who was wrong.
That doesn't answer my question. Is there some reason that Gillis should be believed when other GMs should not?

Boltsfan2029 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:44 PM
  #866
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Really?

So I should go into threads titled "Value of: Rick Nash" and write pages and pages of how the Canucks don't want Nash, and how crappy he is?



Believe what you want to believe. I guess when the dust settles we'll see who was right and who was wrong.
Who is saying Lou is crappy? I don't think a single person denies how great he is. I think the people are more along the lines of he doesn't fit the mold of their respective teams.

stryfe604 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:44 PM
  #867
Diamonddog01
Registered User
 
Diamonddog01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Everyone understands the contract. It's a legally binding document for the next 10 years. Is it likely Luongo may retire before then? It's very possible. Does that change the fact that it's a 10-year contract? No. It's 10 years up until the day he actually retires.
I don't think people do, especially when they think that the player isn't allowed to retire or that it wasn't grandfathered in when they were arguing over Kovalchuk's contract. Or your comments above.

Or did you miss the pages upon pages of that part?

Sure, it's legally binding for 10 years. From a purely technical, legal perspective, yes it's a 10 year contract.

In the real world, it's a 6/7 year contract with 3M remaining in salary at the end of it - under the rather unlikely assumption that Roberto demands to keep playing. The team can handle that 3M in a variety of ways.

Diamonddog01 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
  #868
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Having seen no moderator post that what has been discussed in this thread is out of line, I would suppose you could.



That doesn't answer my question. Is there some reason that Gillis should be believed when other GMs should not?



Gillis is a saint, and every other GM is the DEBIL!

stryfe604 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
  #869
Diamonddog01
Registered User
 
Diamonddog01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Having seen no moderator post that what has been discussed in this thread is out of line, I would suppose you could.
You could, but that would sort of go against the point of the thread. It would be a silly thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
That doesn't answer my question. Is there some reason that Gillis should be believed when other GMs should not?
First of all - Yzerman's comments are not quite as black and white as you make them out to be. He used qualifiers like "if possible" or "ideally", "I'd prefer", etc. So you've taken somewhat general comments and then interpreted them to mean "Under no circumstances whatsoever am I acquiring Luongo".

Second of all - by your criteria of Yzerman speaking only the gospel truth, Gillis has also never misled the fanbase through the media.

So you should believe Gillis as he has always told the truth thus far.

Diamonddog01 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
  #870
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I don't think people do, especially when they think that the player isn't allowed to retire or that it wasn't grandfathered in when they were arguing over Kovalchuk's contract. Or your comments above.

Or did you miss the pages upon pages of that part?

Sure, it's legally binding for 10 years. From a purely technical, legal perspective, yes it's a 10 year contract.

In the real world, it's a 6/7 year contract with 3M remaining in salary at the end of it - under the rather unlikely assumption that Roberto demands to keep playing. The team can handle that 3M in a variety of ways.
Um...doesn't that define realistic...maybe I am missing something here.

stryfe604 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
  #871
Holy Mackinaw
Registered User
 
Holy Mackinaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
This is an outright lie.
The Province headline? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, my dad, who lives in North Delta, sent me the papers during their run, as he is a huge Nuck fan.

IIRC, it was during the Chicago series, but I could be mistaken. It was front page sports, which is to say the back page. Look it up.

Quote:
Look - if Leafs fans don't want Luongo, that's fine. We're not trying to convince you to take him. We are clarifying his contract and him as a player.
Look at my post history. I'm one of the few that wants Lu on the Leafs, and I will refer to my "I will be first in line for a jersey" comment". I just am not a fan of parting with Gardiner or the 5th, much like Tampa Bay doesn't want to part with Connolly or their own first.

Quote:
This is a "Speculation: Roberto Luongo" thread afterall, if you don't want him, why are all of you Leafs and Bolts fans posting in this thread?
I never said I didn't want him. I said there were better options for the Leafs from a business perspective.

Quote:
Solve your goaltending woes elsewhere.
I can't solve anything. I'll bet Burke does just that, however.
Quote:
Teams have contacted the Canucks about him, but as of now Gillis isn't sure which direction he wants to take. He specifically stated he was going to talk to Roberto now that emotions have cooled. He also said that a Schneider/Luongo tandem is still a possibility.
Not if Luongo wants out it isn't.


Last edited by Holy Mackinaw: 06-04-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Holy Mackinaw is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
  #872
CommonMeans*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I don't think people do, especially when they think that the player isn't allowed to retire or that it wasn't grandfathered in when they were arguing over Kovalchuk's contract. Or your comments above.

Or did you miss the pages upon pages of that part?

Sure, it's legally binding for 10 years. From a purely technical, legal perspective, yes it's a 10 year contract.

In the real world, it's a 6/7 year contract with 3M remaining in salary at the end of it - under the rather unlikely assumption that Roberto demands to keep playing. The team can handle that 3M in a variety of ways.
Don't even worry about it. According to some de jurer and de facto are one and the same. De jurer Luongo is under contract for 10 more years. De facto he is under contract for 6 to 7 more years.

CommonMeans* is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
  #873
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
You could, but that would sort of go against the point of the thread. It would be a silly thing to do.



First of all - Yzerman's comments are not quite as black and white as you make them out to be. He used qualifiers like "if possible" or "ideally", "I'd prefer", etc. So you've taken somewhat general comments and then interpreted them to mean "Under no circumstances whatsoever am I acquiring Luongo".

Second of all - by your criteria of Yzerman speaking only the gospel truth, Gillis has also never misled the fanbase through the media.

So you should believe Gillis as he has always told the truth thus far.
Fair enough. Tampa is officially out guys.

stryfe604 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:50 PM
  #874
Strangelove
Registered User
 
Strangelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Location! Location!
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
"Gonna be another long season for Leafers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Shame View Post
This is entirely possible. But I'd rather a long season towards building a good team, rather than mortgaging the future for a temporary fix. I'm all for acquiring Luongo for the right price (which, I will guess is going to be Schenn + 2nd + prospect). Just not for any of the (two) blue chip future assets the Leafs possess.
I understand: That's all the Leafs can afford.

Another team will most certainly offer more, so like I say, long season.

Personally I think "building the Leafs into a good team" will take years.

So probably a few long seasons coming...

Strangelove is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:50 PM
  #875
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I don't think people do, especially when they think that the player isn't allowed to retire or that it wasn't grandfathered in when they were arguing over Kovalchuk's contract. Or your comments above.

Or did you miss the pages upon pages of that part?

Sure, it's legally binding for 10 years. From a purely technical, legal perspective, yes it's a 10 year contract.

In the real world, it's a 6/7 year contract with 3M remaining in salary at the end of it
- under the rather unlikely assumption that Roberto demands to keep playing. The team can handle that 3M in a variety of ways.
No in the real world it's 10 years remaining on his contract and nothing else.

thebluemachine* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.