HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo VII

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Strangelove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
What did Luongo fetch in that trade?
Bertuzzi, Allen, Auld.

Bertuzzi at 32 was still considered one of the best power forwards in the game (hurt his back badly not long after the trade), Allen was considered a Top 4 dee who was just entering his prime, Auld was considered an up-and-coming 25-year-old starting goaltender - he had faired well in the 67 games played in the previous season (winning Canucks MVP in the process) and his resume in general had starter written all over it .

So yeah, an aging power forward and two young future-looks-bright roster players.

Who knew Bert would hurt his back, Allen would stagnate, and Auld would regress?

Mind you Florida was offerred Jumbo Joe by Boston, but the Florida owners said no to that iirc it was more Joe's contract than anything else.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Hackeybuff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Did it strike you as good trade? What was the return last time a goalie like Schneider was traded? You can easily pore over 20 years of trades, many which feature far better goalies than Luongo.
I remember that trade like it was yesterday. There were several teams falling all over themselves clamboring to get Luongo. He was 27 years old and had NEVER played a single playoff game.

We got him only because Keenan wanted Bertuzzi. The Sens had offered an excellent package that included Chris Phillips amongst other goodies.

Now its 6 years later. Luongo has 2 presidents trophies to his name a Jennings trophy as well as well as All Star and Vezina finalist years. He has won the Olympic Gold for his country right in his home town as the starting goalie.

he consistently finishes in the top 10 in GAA ,wins save percentage etc. Certainly he didnt this year but so what. He still had a good year.

Now hes 33 and has a locked up lifetime contract with all kinds of outs. Therre will be plenty of interest in him.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Don't confuse my lacklustre demeanour as being indfiferent to Luongo. I love the guy, despite my somewhat conflicting emotions on the topic. Earlier today, after the Vokoun thing went down, I predicted he ends up in Toronto.

Like I said, one of Schenn/Lupul, Ashton and a conditional 1st in 2013 (if Leafs make playoffs) would be my proposal with Vokoun now not an option. I have a feeling my fellow Leaf fans will lynch me mentioning Lupul, but it does address the top 6 forward who can help the Canucks now.
What do you think of the idea of

Toronto
Roberto Luongo
Jordan Schroeder
2nd Round Pick

Vancouver
Luke Schenn
Nazem Kadri
Carter Ashton

(Basically Luongo + 2nd for Schenn + Kadri, and to help replenish Torontos center prospect depth, they do Schroeder for Ashton)

Old
06-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Provost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Nah, common sense says it's legally binding until terminated.

Probability says it will be terminated by retirement before the 10 years are up, but all that matters in a contract is what it actually says.
I suggest that you get suspended for being a troll and continuing to try to pick entirely unrelated fights with folks.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Don't confuse my lacklustre demeanour as being indfiferent to Luongo. I love the guy, despite my somewhat conflicting emotions on the topic. Earlier today, after the Vokoun thing went down, I predicted he ends up in Toronto.

Like I said, one of Schenn/Lupul, Ashton and a conditional 1st in 2013 (if Leafs make playoffs) would be my proposal with Vokoun now not an option. I have a feeling my fellow Leaf fans will lynch me mentioning Lupul, but it does address the top 6 forward who can help the Canucks now.

My complete rebuttal of all things Luongo comes in when Gardiner or the 5th is brought up. Given where the Leafs are headed, it's not happening, IMO....
I can counter your deal. I'd rather have Schenn and Lupul, and your conditional first for playoffs

in exchange I'd give you Luongo, Raymond/Malhotra and a 3rd

Old
06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Hackeybuff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdan85 View Post

Toronto
Roberto Luongo
Jordan Schroeder
2nd Round Pick

Vancouver
Luke Schenn
Nazem Kadri
Carter Ashton

(Basically Luongo + 2nd for Schenn + Kadri, and to help replenish Torontos center prospect depth, they do Schroeder for Ashton)
I appreciate your efforts but this is overpayment man.

Old
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
a) He has not asked for a trade and we did not run him out of town. He said in his exit interview that if he was asked to waive his NTC and it BENEFITED Vancouver, he would do it.

b) There are little suitors? Link please? how many or how little suitors there are for Luongo is at of this moment, unknown.

c) Mammoth term? this again, has been discussed ad nausuem. We can argue semantics and cry foul that it's a 10 year contract, when really, it's one of 5 cheater contracts in the NHL, which is extremely beneficial to the team who owns said contract.

His return would be pretty much identical in my opinion, his numbers have not dropped off, he has not shown he is on the decline, not only that, he know has the playoff experience he didn't have when he came to Vancouver.

@RealKyper

#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out

Old
Stephen

Quote:

Toronto
Roberto Luongo
Jordan Schroeder
2nd Round Pick

Vancouver
Luke Schenn
Nazem Kadri
Carter Ashton

This might be better:

Luongo

for

Liles
Ashton

You get a veteran puckmover at $4 million + for a few years, we get a goalie, and you get a big bodied prospect who will probably amount to nothing. Basically a soft trade.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Hackeybuff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
I suggest that you get suspended for being a troll and continuing to try to pick entirely unrelated fights with folks.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
So what's he worth now that he has asked for a trade because his city has run him out of town and there are little suitors for him because of his mammoth term?
"asked for a trade" - wrong

"city has run him out of town" - wrong

"there are little suitors" - wrong

You're on a roll arencha pal?

Old
06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
I'll counteroffer with you also being suspended for playing moderator!

My discussing the legalities of the length of Luongo's contract absolutely PALES in comparison with the trolling, name calling and fan/team bashing that has gone on in this thread, all of which are supposedly no-nos around here! At least I remained polite and good-humored in my posts.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:23 PM
KeninsFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
This might be better:

Luongo

for

Liles
Ashton

You get a veteran puckmover at $4 million + for a few years, we get a goalie, and you get a big bodied prospect who will probably amount to nothing. Basically a soft trade.
We get a player who ends up on the 4th pairing because he plays our most stacked position (LD)?

I think the Canucks easily pass.

Leafs fans should look at what goalies have been traded for post lockout and make trades based on those.

Old
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackeybuff View Post
I appreciate your efforts but this is overpayment man.
I think there is relative risk associated with this trade for Vancouver.

Luke Schenn could live up to his potential or become the next Bryan Allen.
Kadri hasn't made the jump full time to the NHL, but at 22 isn't far off. Has a fairly high ceiling.
Ashton again is basically a 1-1 for Schroeder, and gives us another player with comparable upside to Jensen

Old
Hackeybuff*

Quote:
@RealKyper

#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out
i believe you but there are a whole pile of practical reasons for that which are totally unrelated to him wanting to play elsewhere.

-we have two goalies vying to be number one. Luongo demanding to STAY and forcing Schneider out makes the whole city hate him if he fails.

Luongo having to be asked to leave shames him and makes it look like hes being BOOTED out of town. This also gives extra power to Schneider as we have no other choice.

But if Luongo asks to be traded and we trade Schneider, then the fans can forgive him cuz he tried to keep the peace and didnt force Schneider out. It was managements decision .

So Luongo could stay because he let managment decide.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
@RealKyper

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...385/story.html

We already know that the translation is incorrect, so pay no attention to the title, but rather this excerpt. I'll even bold for you

"Luongo, 33, lost his starting job to Cory Schneider during the playoffs and told reporters in his exit interviews April 24 that he would waive his no-trade clause if that is what best suited the club.

Yeah, of course, if they ask me to,” Luongo said. “I don't want to be one of those guys who is going to stand in the way of anything. I always want to put the team ahead of me. I don't want to be one of those selfish guys.

“Obviously they have a guy here who is going to be a superstar in this league for the next 10, 12, 15 years so I'm okay with it. It is a business and that's the way it goes. I've loved being here the last six years. If I'm here in the future, then great. If I'm not, that's good also.”

Old
06-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
I'll counteroffer with you also being suspended for playing moderator!

My discussing the legalities of the length of Luongo's contract absolutely PALES in comparison with the trolling, name calling and fan/team bashing that has gone on in this thread, all of which are supposedly no-nos around here!
Even you have to admit its pretty pointless banter...

Its the Jody Shelley of discussions if you will (irrelevant).

Old
06-04-2012, 08:25 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
"asked for a trade" - wrong

"city has run him out of town" - wrong

"there are little suitors" - wrong

You're on a roll arencha pal?
Asked for a trade?

According to a Vancouver media outlet (and Kypreos) he did ask for a trade and provied a list without Gillis even asking.

City has run him out of town?

Yes, imo absolutely. Why would Luongo want to to leave Vancouver if he wasn't?

Little suitors?

Who's calling exactly?

Old
06-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Even you have to admit its pretty pointless banter...

Its the Jody Shelley of discussions if you will (irrelevant).
Just striving for accuracy.

But, in the sense you're meaning, everything posted here is pointless. Unless, of course, some of these good folks are NHL general managers using aliases.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Hackeybuff*

Quote:
I think there is relative risk associated with this trade for Vancouver.

Luke Schenn could live up to his potential or become the next Bryan Allen.
Kadri hasn't made the jump full time to the NHL, but at 22 isn't far off. Has a fairly high ceiling.
Ashton again is basically a 1-1 for Schroeder, and gives us another player with comparable upside to Jensen
Its awesome but I dont think Lui is worth that. But if the leafs wanna give it then fine by me

Old
06-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Ho Borvat

I posted both these already, but maybe Leafs fans could give some input?
(really just trying to go somewhere between Komi + 7th rounder and Gardiner + 5th overall)

Toronto
Roberto Luongo
2nd Round Pick

Vancouver
Luke Schenn
Nikolai Kulemin
Carter Ashton

OR

Toronto
Luke Schenn
Nazem Kadri
Carter Ashton

Vancouver
Roberto Luongo
Jordan Schroeder
2nd Round Pick

Old
06-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:

Toronto
Roberto Luongo
Jordan Schroeder
2nd Round Pick

Vancouver
Luke Schenn
Nazem Kadri
Carter Ashton

I honestly think we are getting closer here. Leaf fans won't like it, nor will most Canuck fans, but I think that is pretty fair for both sides.

Old
Vorkosh

Quote:
Asked for a trade?

According to a Vancouver media outlet (and Kypreos) he did ask for a trade and provied a list without Gillis even asking.

City has run him out of town?

Yes, imo absolutely. Why would Luongo want to to leave Vancouver if he wasn't?

Little suitors?

Who's calling exactly?
Why is this list a secret then? He never said he didn't want to play for Vancouver as I just proved in my previous post. He is a classy guy and does not want to compete with Schneider, nor should he have to.

The people calling, would be the people on Luongo's list, if such a list even exists.

I'm pretty sure no list exists, as Gillis has just recently said that he will TALK with Luongo this week, since he's had some time to cool off and think about what Luongo really wants, and then go from there.

Burke has gone on record to say that there has been minimal discussions for Luongo, but the point is, there have been discussions, so that's at least 1 confirmed suitor.

Old
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackeybuff View Post
Its awesome but I dont think Lui is worth that. But if the leafs wanna give it then fine by me
I did an earlier one, with Kulemin instead of Kadri, and no Schroeder but it didn't seem Toronto fans were overly eager to move Kulemin in the hope that he had a bounceback year.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
I honestly think we are getting closer here. Leaf fans won't like it, nor will most Canuck fans, but I think that is pretty fair for both sides.
Neither side liking a deal can be a pretty good indication that it's pretty fair!

Old
06-04-2012, 08:30 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...385/story.html

We already know that the translation is incorrect, so pay no attention to the title, but rather this excerpt. I'll even bold for you

"Luongo, 33, lost his starting job to Cory Schneider during the playoffs and told reporters in his exit interviews April 24 that he would waive his no-trade clause if that is what best suited the club.

Yeah, of course, if they ask me to,” Luongo said. “I don't want to be one of those guys who is going to stand in the way of anything. I always want to put the team ahead of me. I don't want to be one of those selfish guys.

“Obviously they have a guy here who is going to be a superstar in this league for the next 10, 12, 15 years so I'm okay with it. It is a business and that's the way it goes. I've loved being here the last six years. If I'm here in the future, then great. If I'm not, that's good also.”
Sounds like Gillis told him if he wants to traded he better change his statements to try and get you guys a better return after the fact. A little too late imo. Nick Kypreos is legit.

Closed Thread