HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo VII

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 04:05 PM
AlmightyPO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I never said I'd do it, I think we have some give and take left, but as a basis...It's reasonable. I would like a Kadri/Colborne in the trade, but I know we'd have to surrender something else as well, which kind of makes it hard to do without our normal hate-matches.
Hard to say who Burke would rather keep, but if we draft a C this year it may make Colborne expendable considering our signing of Grabovski. So maybe something like:

Schenn, MacArthur, Colborne
for
Lu+ (not that knowledgeable of Canuck prospects tbh) ha

Old
06-03-2012, 04:06 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
I am not very big on Schenn anymore. As a rookie I thought the kid was a stud, but he's taken a HUGE step back in my opinion and I'm not sure he can recover in T.O. He is very slow, lacks anticipation, and often loses his man in his own zone I find. Thus, I wouldn't be shocked to see him as the return in a Luongo swap. The 'Nucks could use a young d-man of his ilk, but people must realize that the contracts moving will likely have to come fairly close to matching, so don't be stunned to see the Leafs throw in a poor contract in addition (perhaps one of Lombardi, Armstrong, Komisarek).
You basically describe why Schenn isn't worth anything and proceed to sat the Canucks would have to take on more bad contracts in addition to this declining player?

No thanks. Sign Vokoun. I

Old
06-03-2012, 04:09 PM
BillyWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
You basically describe why Schenn isn't worth anything and proceed to sat the Canucks would have to take on more bad contracts in addition to this declining player?

No thanks. Sign Vokoun. I
Yes, but note I stated "in T.O." He's really struggled as a Leaf of late and for a young player a change of scenery will do him well.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackeybuff View Post
Doesnt seem like some of you understand it outside of your 'gimmie more than i get' mentality like when you live at home with your parents as a teenager.

If Im Toronto i refuse any offer for Gardiner even if it means i cant get Luongo.

But the 5th? thats negotiable. Why? Because you can add in picks to even it out and you dont have to give up a good young roster spot to get luongo.

Here was my deal Ive been pitching all along and YES I have viewed it from the leafs side.

To Van

5th overall

To Toronto

Luongo

26th overall

3rd round pick in 2012 or 2013

leafs also get a modest 2 or 3 mil waivable or AHL salary dump to canucks.

Now , this to me is not a ripoff or bad deal for the Canucks or Leafs. But then i read its

WAH 10 YEARS

WAH 5th overall we cudda got a good centerman blah blah

Well guess what, its not Christmas time and you cant get everything in life for FREE. You have to pay to get.

Trading down from 5th to 26th and getting Luongo is an even trade. I dont think u guys understand what luongo will be able to do for you under enormous pressure that you havent had in a very long time.

He makes Phaneuf and Schenn much better right off the hop. Trust me they will be jumping for joy.

And you guys get a 3rd rounder and small salary dump to help offset Luongos cap hit. Its a good trade. I take it all day as the leafs.

Playoff leafs means more experience for Kessel and Gardiner means attracting more UFAs etc.........

Think it over. Reimer or Harding or Vokhoun are NOT going to do any of this for you.

wah luongo coulda woulda blah blah...reality is he isnt worth a top 5 pick with his age and his ridiculous retirement contract, any GM would think twice before taking his contract especially teams who are already close to the cap; leafs & tampa

they'll be alot of disillusioned canuck fans, when bobby lu would probably get traded for:

a roster player with similar cap hit and 2nd or a B prospect

Old
06-03-2012, 04:10 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Grabovski and Bozak/Connolly as your top 2 centres does not a serious contender make, IMO.
grabo is a fine #2 we just need a 1st line c

Old
06-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Kunitz sucks balls

Quote:
Honestly, if a trade is going to happen between the two clubs then one of the pieces leaving Toronto will be a player that fans will NOT want to see go. Not spare parts, ok prospects, players with inflated salaries or those coming off career low years (or in some proposals all of the above).

If TO fans aren't willing to part with a high-end quality player, then the trade likely won't happen.
Nope, that's not what's going to happen.

Dreger has said the Leafs are only interested if he comes cheap. So, if he comes here, we will not be dealing Kulemin/Schenn/etc.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:12 PM
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
Hard to say who Burke would rather keep, but if we draft a C this year it may make Colborne expendable considering our signing of Grabovski. So maybe something like:

Schenn, MacArthur, Colborne
for
Lu+ (not that knowledgeable of Canuck prospects tbh) ha
I like it! Maybe a prospect like Rodin?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:13 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
wah luongo coulda woulda blah blah...reality is he isnt worth a top 5 pick with his age and his ridiculous retirement contract, any GM would think twice before taking his contract especially teams who are already close to the cap; leafs & tampa

they'll be alot of disillusioned canuck fans, when bobby lu would probably get traded for:

a roster player with similar cap hit and 2nd or a B prospect
Ya ya ya. Luo isn't worth what Canucks fans are saying. Goalies like him aren't very valuable. He's old. Barely top 10. Awful contract. Blah blah blah.

Interesting then that Toronto's goaltending has been the worst in the NHL on aggregate over the past 4 years. Listening the Leafs fans one would think prized goalies were an easy commodity.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:14 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post

Dreger has said the Leafs are only interested if he comes cheap. So, if he comes here, we will not be dealing Kulemin/Schenn/etc.
Then he is not going to Toronto and your club can look elsewhere.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:15 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post

Why wouldn't they move Kulemin? ys he's a solid part but is also replaceable

Old
06-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Spice Trader

Not BASHING WANT TO BE CLEAR.

IF BB doesnt pull the trigger (for arguments sake) with the 5th or gardiner for lu.

And you have another 20+ finish and goaltending was your problem again all year..
Will you be calling for his head?

this was year 3 if i am correct if you dont make the playoffs in year 4..
how is the mood during this rebuild?

As an outside non fan there have been some slick moves (the dion trade was amazing) the lupul deal worked out real real nice also. and some not so great moves (seguin).

Old
06-03-2012, 04:17 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Why wouldn't they move Kulemin? ys he's a solid part but is also replaceable
The Canucks are already stuck with the question of whether or not to re-sign a former 25-30 goal scorer. Not in the market for another underachieving forward.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
"There are two teams left in the Stanley Cup playoffs (Los Angeles and New Jersey) and the others are starting to kick around ideas as far as what they can do to improve their teams,'' Yzerman said.

"We accumulated a lot of (draft picks through late-season trades last year) and so now we're starting to explore things and we're going to try to trade for a goalie. If that doesn't work out, we'll look at free agency.''

Latest from Stevie. Add this from Nonis (both of which contradict what Yzerman and Burke stated earlier) and you can make a case that both Tampa and Toronto are going to make offers.

“The UFA market, there are some pieces there that might be able to help (but) generally you don’t want to build your team with UFAs. Not because it’s not good players there, but you’ve got to spend more, generally, for those players,” Nonis explained.

“For us, yes we’ll look at (unrestricted free agency), we’ll probably jump in for a couple pieces, but overall we’re going to approach the trade market as a primary source of improvement.”

Let the bidding war begin
You left out quotes where Yzerman said he wants a younger, less experienced goalie and isn't interested in any long term contracts.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Then he is not going to Toronto and your club can look elsewhere.
majority of toronto fans dont him or his contract anywhere near us anyway, so i guess its a win-win for both parties

and you're right we'll look elsewhere when options like vokoun are still available which wouldn't cost us our 1st rounders or a top prospect and still provide us decent goaltending

Old
06-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
You left out quotes where Yzerman said he wants a younger, less experienced goalie and isn't interested in any long term contracts.
He didn't state that in his latest round of quotes.

I think you are interpreting his earlier ones the way you want to, in addition to taking GM quotes far too much at face value. Somehow these don't qualify? GM's say a lot of things, they'll often do something quite different.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Socratic Method Man

vCash: 622
Quote:
Honestly, if a trade is going to happen between the two clubs then one of the pieces leaving Toronto will be a player that fans will NOT want to see go. Not spare parts, ok prospects, players with inflated salaries or those coming off career low years (or in some proposals all of the above).

If TO fans aren't willing to part with a high-end quality player, then the trade likely won't happen.
In reality, this is probably what it boils down to. There are few goalies at Luongo's level of
1) skill and
2) proven worth

If the asset traded for him does not make the team trading the asset bite their lip and say "oooh that hurts..." even a little bit... then the trade probably will not happen.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:28 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
majority of toronto fans dont him or his contract anywhere near us anyway, so i guess its a win-win for both parties

and you're right we'll look elsewhere when options like vokoun are still available which wouldn't cost us our 1st rounders or a top prospect and still provide us decent goaltending
Fair enough. I'd just like to point out that this is a "Roberto Luongo VII" thread; not a Maple Leafs thread.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Provost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
I run the Canucks store in Metrotown. I don't own it, I just manage it, thus I'm an employee of CSaE. I can't confirm anything because this is just a rumor that a few higher ups and I have been shooting back and forth, but the reason Gillis is insistent on grabbing the 5th OV and Gardiner is that he plans on flipping both pieces along with either schroder or Jensen to Columbus for Nash as it is believed here that Columbus is not on Luongo's list.

So, again, that's just something that a higher up happened to leak as a possibility of what's going on and it filtered down to us and now I'm fanning the flames so to speak.

But if the scene unfolds as described, you heard it here first!
If I believed you, then you should get fired...

You identified who you were and then spilled important internal stuff that could negatively impact your employer?

I suspect you are full of doo-doo...

Old
06-03-2012, 04:33 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
In reality, this is probably what it boils down to. There are few goalies at Luongo's level of
1) skill and
2) proven worth

If the asset traded for him does not make the team trading the asset bite their lip and say "oooh that hurts..." even a little bit... then the trade probably will not happen.
I beg to differ, and evidently so do most other analysts, and so does the rumour mill. Vancouver wants really want this to be the case, but it simply isn't. There's a down side to ridiculously long term deals, and Vancouver is experiencing it now.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Numbers

Quote:

But who says Vokoun doesnt go somewhere like Chicago a true contender. What about Columbus? Are they not going to get a goalie? Why does Toronto always get first dib on goalies. Even if there are other options then Luongo, why do Toronto fans entiltled to get first pick at the cream of the crop?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
He didn't state that in his latest round of quotes.
That doesn't mean his prior statements are nullified. The latest quotes don't conflict with his prior quotes in any way.

Quote:
I think you are interpreting his earlier ones the way you want to, in addition to taking GM quotes far too much at face value. Somehow these don't qualify? GM's say a lot of things, they'll often do something quite different.
Well, here's the quote:

Quote:
"My preference," he said, "is to go with a little bit of a younger guy that maybe has a little less experience and can step up and play well for us now."
I'm not sure how to interpret that any way other than exactly what it says.

As for GMs saying and doing different things, not our experience so far with our GM, who has been saying he wants a younger goalie to grow with Stamkos and Hedman from the get-go, not just since Luongo's situation has arisen. He hasn't gone against any of his public statements about anything so far, and he has NEVER negotiated via the media. No reason to think he'd change his method or his plan at this stage.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Socratic Method Man

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I beg to differ, and evidently so do most other analysts, and so does the rumour mill. Vancouver wants really want this to be the case, but it simply isn't. There's a down side to ridiculously long term deals, and Vancouver is experiencing it now.
I stated 2 facts and one conclusion from the 2 facts.

What do you disagree with, the 2 facts or the conclusion?

If it's the 2 facts, I cannot really say more to you as I feel you are delusional.If it's the conclusion, I would suggest not listening to "experts" as they are usually idiots, and instead observe the facts and try to use logic to see what your conclusion is.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Grunch. Am I the only one who thinks Vokoun won't get the Leafs into the playoffs? The guy's 3 years older than Lu, coming off a serious injury, and sure didn't look lights out on a Washington team that's better than Toronto which also had defense as a focus last season, and they barely snuck in.

Go with Lu.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Fair enough. I'd just like to point out that this is a "Roberto Luongo VII" thread; not a Maple Leafs thread.
it maybe a "luongo thread" but its in the trade rumors section of the forums; fan of any team is free to have their say in these rumors, if such was the case why canuck fans affiliating maple leafs "5th overall" or their prospects with luongo threads?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:47 PM
93gilmour93

LOL at anyone thinking luongo will return schenn,gardiner or the 5th pick in the draft. There are going to be many angry Canucks fans if they honestly believe luongo will return these kinds of assets.

Closed Thread