HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Shannon signs with ZSC Lions / Switzerland

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2012, 05:41 AM
  #1
Belenos
Registered User
 
Belenos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Biel, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 595
vCash: 500
Ryan Shannon signs with ZSC Lions / Switzerland

Don't know if already written somewhere, but Shannon signed a three-year contract with Zürich, Switzerland.

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:50 AM
  #2
LightningStrikes
Moderator
Klutcherov
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,172
vCash: 500
Ryan Shannon signed with ZSC Lions / Switzerland

According to the website of Swiss hockey club ZSC Lions, Ryan Shannon has signed a 3 year contract with them.

Translation:
Quote:
The ZSC Lions are pleased to announce the signing of 29-year-old forward Ryan Shannon. The American signed a 3-year contract with the Lions.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:00 AM
  #3
LightningStrikes
Moderator
Klutcherov
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,172
vCash: 500
Beat me to it.

/Merged.

Too bad Shannon didn't work out here. I was really excited when we signed him but he just didn't fit in for some reason.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:45 AM
  #4
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,535
vCash: 500
Where'd Cory Murphy go?

He spent the last few years with ZSC, and he's not on their website and EP only has him as 'rumored' to be heading to North America.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:45 AM
  #5
kisin
Registered User
 
kisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Czech republic
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
I thought he would still get an NHL deal.

kisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:58 AM
  #6
LightningStrikes
Moderator
Klutcherov
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Where'd Cory Murphy go?

He spent the last few years with ZSC, and he's not on their website and EP only has him as 'rumored' to be heading to North America.
His 2-year contract expired and he only played 24 of their 50 games. Don't know the circumstances though.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:01 AM
  #7
Zorkan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
His 2-year contract expired and he only played 24 of their 50 games. Don't know the circumstances though.
His play was - unfortunately - horrible and he got replaced by Steve McCarthy in mid-season (there is a limitation on the amount of import players you are allowed use).

Zorkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:19 AM
  #8
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellis View Post
I thought he would still get an NHL deal.
Yeah. Weird that he didn't test FA first before looking over in Europe.

__________________
VL4ever
"It's still All In to me dammit." - Felonious Python
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
  #9
HockeyTownUSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Yeah. Weird that he didn't test FA first before looking over in Europe.
Perhaps security at 29 yrs of age after being treated like a fringe NHLer?

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
  #10
Matsi
got paws?
 
Matsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chiricahua Mountains
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
Great signing for the Lions. Shannon could do extremely well playing in a bigger rink with a (at least a bit) less physical game.

Just imagine the speed a line comprised of Shannon, Tampellini, and Ambühl/Monnet would have...

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:32 PM
  #11
sonny side up
Registered User
 
sonny side up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the dark room
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Good for him. Sorry to see him leave, he was a wicked nice guy too... Plus we drove the same car (MINI FTW!)

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:36 PM
  #12
zeykshade
Registered User
 
zeykshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 5,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny side up View Post
Good for him. Sorry to see him leave, he was a wicked nice guy too... Plus we drove the same car (MINI FTW!)
He drove a MINI?! I have an '06 R53 myself. Never knew that about Shannon.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:58 PM
  #13
Tokala
Registered User
 
Tokala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
He drove a MINI?! I have an '06 R53 myself. Never knew that about Shannon.
He is a mini.

Tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:08 PM
  #14
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,097
vCash: 500
Yeah, he was a great guy. Super competitive. Hope he regains form, that shoulder got torn up pretty badly last year.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:43 PM
  #15
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Yeah. Weird that he didn't test FA first before looking over in Europe.
I'm thinking that why he signed so early in Europe is part of the reason he signed so early in Europe.

I'm not sure that's good for ZSC either. Where's the heart?

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:56 PM
  #16
Zorkan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I'm thinking that why he signed so early in Europe is part of the reason he signed so early in Europe.

I'm not sure that's good for ZSC either. Where's the heart?

So what you are saying is that any player that is coming to Europe does not have heart? That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Zorkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:25 AM
  #17
Glide5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 860
vCash: 500
Good luck to Shannon. He is a nice guy for sure. Hopefully he heals up well enough to play.

Glide5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:22 AM
  #18
sonny side up
Registered User
 
sonny side up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the dark room
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
He drove a MINI?! I have an '06 R53 myself. Never knew that about Shannon.
'11 R56 here. Woot Woot! I want to say that he had an R56 as well, Chili Red S. I forget if it was a stick or auto, but I want to say auto for some reason (hopefully I'm wrong)

Also, Rick DiPietro has a MINI as well, pretty sure it's a R56 too.

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:46 AM
  #19
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkan View Post
So what you are saying is that any player that is coming to Europe does not have heart? That's a bit harsh, don't you think?
No, not at all, but Shannon wasn't a guy who really hustled for most of the season, IMO.

It makes me doubt his fire for winning.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:56 AM
  #20
HockeyTownUSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
No, not at all, but Shannon wasn't a guy who really hustled for most of the season, IMO.

It makes me doubt his fire for winning.
A guy who was told he wouldn't play D I hockey, went undrafted, is undersized and always second guessed has gone on to play in the NHL (win a Cup and get 99 points) does not do it by lacking "fire for winning." Coaches who have coached him say his determination (aka "fire"), speed and smarts have allowed him to succeed.

It makes me doubt that you have ever met him.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:10 PM
  #21
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Times reported that SY gave him the go ahead to sign before his contract officially ended so I guess he wasn't in SY's plans anyway or the Lightning weren't going to offer him any security.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:43 PM
  #22
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
A guy who was told he wouldn't play D I hockey, went undrafted, is undersized and always second guessed has gone on to play in the NHL (win a Cup and get 99 points) does not do it by lacking "fire for winning." Coaches who have coached him say his determination (aka "fire"), speed and smarts have allowed him to succeed.

It makes me doubt that you have ever met him.
And you'd be right. I can only look at the actions taking place, and mesh that with my opinions of him.

There's a difference between wanting to win, wanting to play for a winning team, and wanting to play in the NHL.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:35 AM
  #23
HockeyTownUSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
And you'd be right. I can only look at the actions taking place, and mesh that with my opinions of him.

There's a difference between wanting to win, wanting to play for a winning team, and wanting to play in the NHL.
I would suggest not challenging someone's character when you have never met him or coached him. "Looking at the actions taking place" doesn't always tell the whole story.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:54 AM
  #24
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates
 
X0X0A0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,983
vCash: 423
I hope you are a family member because if not you have a weird obsession with a ****** player. A good 85-90% of your posts are defending Shannon.

And if you are a family member who can blame him for signing half way around the world.


Last edited by X0X0A0: 05-28-2012 at 11:01 AM.
X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:06 PM
  #25
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Labrie View Post
I hope you are a family member because if not you have a weird obsession with a ****** player. A good 85-90% of your posts are defending Shannon.

And if you are a family member who can blame him for signing half way around the world.
Hey, Richard Petiot's brother (brother, right? or cousin) was here so why not?

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.