HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

My June Mock (2 round)

Old
06-03-2012, 05:28 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
My June Mock (2 round)

Ahh why not. EDIT: Damn this took way longer than I thought it would

Edmonton: Nail Yakupov

There's no chance Edmonton would pass on this guy for Ryan Murray without trading down in the process (Anaheim? 6th overall+Justin schultz+Holland? ). Adding Yakupov makes their offense scary good. Yak, RNH, Eberle, Hall, MPS, Hemsky...ouch. They still need to round out that blueline but Yakupov is the total package and Tambellini would be stupid to pass the opportunity to take this young star.

Columbus: Ryan Murray

I really think here it's a no-brainer...which makes the pick difficult to predict with certainty because Howson is an idiot. But if we're thinking logically, the most logical choice is Ryan Murray. He's a born leader, he's defensively responsible, and he's NHL ready. He's everything that Columbus needs and then some. Everyone keeps saying, "they just got Jack Johnson, they'll pick Forsberg/Galchenyuk" Anaheim got Lubomir Visnovsky and had Gardiner, Schultz, and Vatanen in their system...didn't stop them from taking Fowler. Defense wins championships, and responsible defense is essential in this league. Murray makes an excellent partner for Johnson for years to come. Also I heard that CBJ was practically stalking Murray throughout the combine.

Montreal: Mikhail Grigorenko

Habs fans and others, spare me the "no way Timmins picks Grigorenko" unless you have tangible evidence that Timmins himself has said that he doesn't like Grigorenko. Before his injuries and illness Grigorenko was challenging for first overall as the top center in this draft. Despite his injuries and illness (mono) he still managed to get a 100+ point pace in his first year playing North American hockey. Say what you want, but that's impressive. It helps that he's already playing in Quebec and has stated his interest in learning French. Also, say what you want about Patrick Roy having no impact on who is selected, but in my opinion, Mark Schiefele's chances of being a Jet were greatly helped by his being coached by Dale Hawerchuk. Grigorenko is a Joe Thornton type player who will do Montreal a lot of good. It's no guarantee, but it's more likely than most Habs fans would suggest.

New York Islanders: Morgan Rielly

Snow and the Islanders are the hardest top 10 team to predict in this year's draft because they really could end up doing anything. It could've been Dumba, Galchenyuk, Teravainen, whoever. But I feel that their M.O for the last few years (ever since the lockout really) is to take the best forward available...I think it's time that we see a change. 2010 they passed on Fowler for Niederreiter. In my opinion the biggest thing NYI's blueline needs is a fast and mobile defenseman who can distribute the puck quickly. Rielly compares to Cam Fowler almost to a T. The Isles already have Hamonic and De Haan. Dumba may be the best d-man available but he'd be redundant in this system. Rielly seems like a perfect fit. It's too early to say that Nino over Fowler was a mistake (though in my mind it was) here they have the chance to get basically the same guy (probably not as NHL ready/dynamic though).

Toronto Maple Leafs: Alex Galchenyuk

I'm really unsure of how this will go. Toronto fans seem convinced that it's Galchenyuk or bust at #5, and their reasons aren't really wrong. TML is in need of a dynamic first line center, something that Galchenyuk can bring to the table. He also represents the US internationally, something likely to tickle Burke's fancy. There's no Russian factor with this kid, so I strongly doubt that would be a problem. The only reservations I have here are that it is possible that Burke won't be happy with Galchenyuk's lost year of development. I don't think he's ever drafted someone like that in his history as a GM, and I can't really see it starting now. I have Galchenyuk here because it makes sense, but Burke hardly ever does what makes sense at the draft (08 trading down from 12 passing on Tyler Myers and Erik Karlsson for Jake Gardiner 11 Biggs and Percy when Zach Phillips was still available (needed a center right?) as well as Puempel and Saad). Alternate picks can be Filip Forsberg, Matt Dumba, or Jacob Trouba IMO. All I'm saying is, expect Galchenyuk if you want, but don't be outraged if he does something unexpected.

Anaheim Ducks: Filip Forsberg

Bob Murray has recently stressed the need for guys with size, Forsberg fits the bill perfectly. He plays a similar offensive game to Corey Perry and even cites Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf as two of his favorite active NHLer's because he models his game after them. This is a great year for defensemen and it's as good a year as any to look at guys like Dumba, Trouba, Reinhart as guys who can bring a little balance to a largely offensive minded blueline, but it's my opinion that our blueline is already set for a few years with Fowler, Beauchemin, Sbisa, Vatanen, Visnovsky, Brookbank, etc. so that we can afford to go for a forward. And with so many talented forward prospects coming through or system we can take the chance on a guy who can take as many as 3 years to be ready for the NHL. Plus Bob Murray absolutely loves Swedes and can't resist taking the guy who claims that his favorite player to play with is Anaheim Ducks prospect William Karlsson. And can you imagine the spike in merch sales if we have a player named Forsberg? Easy win for Murray and the Ducks.

Minnesota Wild: Matthew Dumba

I think Minnesota would've liked Jacob Trouba here, but they just can't pass up the opportunity to have a guy like Dumba fall into their laps. There are those who think Teravainen is a good pick here because of Granlund, however, I think Granlund's presence will hinder that chance here. The one area Minnesota really needed to address was the blueline. Dumba brings it all. Speed, crushing hits, puck movement, a booming slapshot...he may need a year to round out his game and put on some weight, but the Wild get lucky here...it really speaks to how good this draft actually is that by the time I get to pick 11 I may still be talking about how lucky some teams are.

Carolina Hurricanes: Teuvo Teravainen

No idea why I keep seeing mocks try to hook Carolina up with a defenseman (particularly offensive defensemen), they're pretty set for a while if you ask me. What they need is some offensive help. Teravainen is a late riser, and in my opinion he can be a bit of a project (expect him to be in Finland for a while before he's ready) but when that project reaches completion, Carolina could be looking at a 70 point winger to compliment Jeff Skinner. And every good Finnish forward prospect is the next Teemu Selanne, so Carolina gets a steal. Seriously though, the only thing holding TT back is his size.

Winnipeg Jets: Radek Faksa

I really wanted to say Jacob Trouba here. Trouba is exactly what Winnipeg's blueline could use these days. I only restrain myself because Trouba is committed to the NCAA and could be gone for at least 3 years. He won't make any kind of impact for quite some time. They could also use another center behind Mark Schiefele. Faksa in my opinion is only one year removed from the NHL if he isn't ready now. He reminds me of a Mikko Koivu type player who would be responsible in all zones of the ice, something Winnipeg could really use. He didn't have the best showing in the OHL playoffs, in my opinion, he was off his game but I don't think that should be a problem. Faksa is a safe bet for an organization whose MO has been to play it safe early on from a managerial standpoint.

Tampa Bay Lightning: Jacob Trouba

The Bolts and Stevie Y get a hell of a steal here. Trouba is a complete defenseman, he can shut you down in his own zone, he can rush the puck up the ice, or find you with a great breakout pass, and he's very efficient on the powerplay. He really may be this draft crops most underrated player, and it's my opinion that with the right amount of polishing, he can end up being the best defender in the draft. He'll look great in 3 years alongside Victor Hedman.

Washington Capitals: Sebastian Collberg

This could've gone a few different ways, but I feel that if given the chance, the Caps would grab Collberg. Collberg is another heavily underrated prospect in this year's draft. He's not quite as dynamic as Forsberg, but Collberg's simple game really does go great in Washington's system. He's got a ton of speed, he's great at rushing the puck and he's got a booming slapshot that he can get on net even while he's in full flight. He's a bit of a project, but with two first rounders, Washington can take their chances on this kid.

Buffalo Sabres: Griffin Reinhart

This year they were probably hoping for a forward, but there isn't much left in the pool for them unless they're trying to take their chances on Brendan Gaunce (if they were, I'd suggest a trade down). Reinhart is a faller here, and will look good on Buffalo's blueline one day. The one downside to Reinhart is, he has a ton of size, but he doesn't play with very much physicality. His game really is almost soft in a way. This is something that can be corrected, obviously, but it is cause for concern. His puck handling and responsible zone play makes him a steal at 12.

Dallas Stars: Cody Ceci

Lots of options out there now, but Ceci has gotta be irresistible. He plays a good two way game that is mostly dominated by offense. Some scouts believe he's NHL ready now. With a little more exposure, Ceci might have been ranked higher, and still could go top 10 IMO, but in my mock, well, Dallas can't help but take this kid.

Calgary Flames: Zemgus Girgensons

He'll go the college route, but if he pans out at max potential he can be an effective 60 point center. This system needs all the forward help it can get and Girgensons can provide it.

Ottawa: Olli Maatta

Another great defenseman going low. Maatta's game really is under appreciated. He can score, he can hit, and he plays responsible defense. Ottawa has plenty of forwards, they can use some D talent, and a playoff team getting their mitts on Maatta? Ottawa lucks out. With Maatta they're guaranteed a top 4 defensive stalwart. He's got the potential to come out as one of the best defenders out of this draft.

Washington: Brendan Gaunce

In my opinion he's not everything he's advertised but I do feel that at worst he'll be an effective third line defensive minded forward. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

San Jose: Matt Finn

Forwards are a little sketchy, Finn is arguably BPA here. Plus that name is perfect for SJS. Shark Finn? This stuff writes itself.

Chicago: Derrick Pouilot

Chicago gets a lite version of Morgan Rielly or Cody Ceci in Pouilot. He'd go great with Duncan Keith and Leddy.

Tampa Bay: Pontus Aberg

Having addressed the blue-line the Bolts can afford to go forward and take a European. He's got a ton of speed and projects to be a 50 point winger if things pan out.

Philadelphia: Hampus Lindholm

The blueline is the biggest thing that's lacking in Philly. They've got their forward core for the future relatively set, Lindholm should be a great addition.

Buffalo: Tom Wilson

Nobody left in the pool really screamed out NEED as far as Buffalo goes at pick 21. Wilson will probably be considered the BPA here. Buffalo still makes out like bandits walking away with Reinhart and Wilson.

Pittsburgh: Tomas Hertl

Everyone seems to think Hertl is destined for Phoenix, but I get the feeling that Pittsburgh is going to lock this kid up. They could use the LW help.

Florida: Slater Koekkoek

Could be a good compliment for Erik Gudbranson. If Koekkoek hadn't missed much of the year due to injury he'd likely be more highly regarded. Florida gets a great defender with a fun name to say.

Boston Bruins: Dalton Thrower

He's probably more likely to be a high second round pick, but everything about this rugged defenseman screams Boston to me. He brings a mean streak, great physicality, and responsible D to Boston's system.

St. Louis: Mark Jankowski

In all likelyhood, Jankowski is probably going to go even higher than 25th. He's not a sexy name by any means but he's a great prospect and he is a great pick for a disappointed St. Louis team.

Vancouver: Stefan Matteau

Vancouver's success continues to mean they won't have a great selection pool but Matteau is a decent enough forward at 26. Top 6 potential if he works hard.

Phoenix Coyotes: Brady Skjei

With OEL, Gormley, and Yandle, Phoenix is starting to build one of the most solid bluelines in the league. Skjei only makes the position stronger.

New York Rangers: Ludwig Bystrom

Probably would've liked Matteau or Frk here, but Bystrom is a great defensive prospect and if he can improve some areas of his game, he can make NYR's blueline even stronger. Reminds me of Klefbom a bit.

New Jersey: Forfeit

Columbus or LA: Martin Frk

Columbus needs some forward help, Murray adds to their blueline magnificently. Frk is a bit of a gamble, but if he pans out, he can be a pretty shifty top 6 scorer for the jackets. Reminds me a bit of Jurco last year but probably has more talent.

Round 2

Columbus: Scott Laughton
Edmonton: Henrik Samuelsson
Montreal: Colton Sissons
NYI: Tanner Pearson
Toronto: Malcom Subban
Anaheim: Nicolas Kerdiles
Tampa Bay: Oscar Dansk
Carolina: Lukas Sutter
Winnipeg: Scott Kosmachuk
Tampa Bay: Anton Selpyshev
Colorado: Damon Severson
Buffalo: Tim Bozon
Dallas: Brady Vail
Buffalo: Matia Marcantuoni
Columbus: Andreas Athanasiou
Minnesota: Ville Pokka
Carolina: Andrei Vasilevsky
Chicago: Phillip Di Giuseppe
Detroit: Jordan Schmaltz
Tampa Bay: Seth Griffith
Montreal: Jarrod Maidens
Pittsburgh: Nick Ebert
Florida: Devin Shore
Colorado: Mike Winther
San Jose: Patrick Sieloff
Vancouver: Micheal Matheson
Phoenix: Andrew Ryan
New York Rangers: Emil Lundberg
New Jersey: Nikolai Prokhorkin
Dallas: Brett Kulak

Don't judge the second round too much. More talent based than need.

Last edited by DuckJet: 06-03-2012 at 11:41 PM.
DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:52 PM
oil Leaks
Unit 01

vCash: 500
no Nicolas Kerdiles? and LA's pick is cbj. from the Jack Johnson trade.

oil Leaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Bozon was selected 2 times.

I like the mock

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DuckJet
#KESBAE

DAMN ^ will fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin3000 View Post
no Nicolas Kerdiles?
Reviews mock draft....damn. I could've sworn I had him in the 20's

I'll just give him to Anaheim. Would make a nice story, kid gets to play for his favorite team growing up.

Old
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
no Nicolas Kerdiles? and LA's pick is cbj. from the Jack Johnson trade.
Likely LAs pick still

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:57 PM
oil Leaks
Unit 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
Likely LAs pick still
Forgot it was a conditional pick....

oil Leaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:00 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Forgot it was a conditional pick....
I think they have like...15 minutes before the selection is made to decide if they want it this year or next. Either way I think both teams would take Frk if available. New York might take the chance on him as well.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:14 PM
grits207

Quote:
Burke hardly ever does what makes sense at the draft (08 trading down from 12 passing on Tyler Myers and Erik Karlsson for Jake Gardiner 11 Biggs and Percy when Zach Phillips was still available (needed a center right?)
If the 2011 draft happened over again I would still think Biggs and Percy are better fits for Toronto than Phillips. The Leafs need a big and/or physical 1st line center, not another smallish 2nd line center. They also needed a big, tough winger and additional prospect depth at d, which is exactly what they got with Biggs and Percy.

Aside from that, decent mock.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:20 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
If the 2011 draft happened over again I would still think Biggs and Percy are better fits for Toronto than Phillips. The Leafs need a big and/or physical 1st line center, not another smallish 2nd line center. They also needed a big, tough winger and additional prospect depth at d, which is exactly what they got with Biggs and Percy.

Aside from that, decent mock.
Fair enough. Anaheim's goal was to get a center from that draft as well (I think they were targeting Mark McNeill) it says something about Phillips that they traded down to take Rakell instead.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:47 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
LA's 2nd round pick belongs to Dallas through Philly, part of the Grossmann trade.

Would prefer Girgensons but wouldn't mind Ceci. Am hoping one of Trouba/Reinhart/Rielly (PLEASE) falls to us.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:51 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
LA's 2nd round pick belongs to Dallas through Philly, part of the Grossmann trade.

Would prefer Girgensons but wouldn't mind Ceci. Am hoping one of Trouba/Reinhart/Rielly (PLEASE) falls to us.
It's certainly possible. Trouba is a bit less likely. Rielly is a bit of a wild card, but I can see some teams forgoing Reinhart. But IMO Ceci is better anyway. Maatta would be pretty good as well.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:51 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Looks great for Sabres Reinhart would be BPA and a great partner to Myers going forward. Also Wilson would be great alongside Ennis and CoHo down the middle. Great job! =)

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I wouldn't be upset with Grigs, or Sissons. I'd prefer Jankowski with Nashville's pick, but it's a good guess.

I believe LA only kept the 1st in the JJ-Carter deal if the Kings missed the playoffs, so that pick is theirs.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:21 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I wouldn't be upset with Grigs, or Sissons. I'd prefer Jankowski with Nashville's pick, but it's a good guess.

I believe LA only kept the 1st in the JJ-Carter deal if the Kings missed the playoffs, so that pick is theirs.
In the second round? Jankowski's a first round sleeper for sure. He could even go as high as 14 for all we know, pushing other "sexier" names down.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:25 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
It's certainly possible. Trouba is a bit less likely. Rielly is a bit of a wild card, but I can see some teams forgoing Reinhart. But IMO Ceci is better anyway. Maatta would be pretty good as well.
Rielly is probably my favorite prospect in this draft, so I obviously really want him here.

Would be fine with any of them tbh. We need a center more than a defender, though.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Saying Burke passed on Myers and Karlsson for Gardiner isn't exactly fair or accurate. Myers wasn't supposed to be there, and he traded down figuring to get Karlsson.

Also, asking for definitive evidence about Timmins and Grigorenko is unfair, you'll never get it. But from what I've seen, it certainly doesn't look good that way. And Roy really doesn't impact them that much. I'm sure it helps, but Roy's been the coach there for a while now, and the Habs have passed on his guys before, despite his endorsement(Esposito).

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:36 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Saying Burke passed on Myers and Karlsson for Gardiner isn't exactly fair or accurate. Myers wasn't supposed to be there, and he traded down figuring to get Karlsson.

Also, asking for definitive evidence about Timmins and Grigorenko is unfair, you'll never get it. But from what I've seen, it certainly doesn't look good that way. And Roy really doesn't impact them that much. I'm sure it helps, but Roy's been the coach there for a while now, and the Habs have passed on his guys before, despite his endorsement(Esposito).
It's a fair point. But Grigorenko is better than most are giving him credit. Mikhail was plagued by health issues and still proved himself as a dynamic player. Galchenyuk simply didn't play. I fail to understand how one guy can go from challenging for first overall, to being overtaken as the top center by a guy who didn't play more than 10 games just because he got sick in the playoffs. It all depends on how the GMs and scouts see it, but it boggles my mind that someone can be overtaken as the top center by a guy who didn't play.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:35 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Out of curiosity, does Zharkov go undrafted in your mock, does he go in a later round, or does he beat feet to the KHL for petrol dollars?

TheFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
Out of curiosity, does Zharkov go undrafted in your mock, does he go in a later round, or does he beat feet to the KHL for petrol dollars?
I would say mid third round. Depends on who wants to take the chance on him. Hudon and Ebert didn't make my second round either.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:14 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Toronto does not take a goalie in the 2nd round IMO. We need forwards, forwards and more forwards. We have a good amount of young goalies already developing. This draft should be addressing our offensive woes up front with size and skill. IMO the Leafs snag Kerdiles before the Ducks go, or if already off the boards, perhaps a Scott Kosmachuk or Lukas Sutter type player.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:38 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
Toronto does not take a goalie in the 2nd round IMO. We need forwards, forwards and more forwards. We have a good amount of young goalies already developing. This draft should be addressing our offensive woes up front with size and skill. IMO the Leafs snag Kerdiles before the Ducks go, or if already off the boards, perhaps a Scott Kosmachuk or Lukas Sutter type player.
Tell me all about how Jussi Rynnas and Ben Scrivens are going to be top 15 goaltenders. Oh and while you're at it, remind me how good James Reimer and Jonas Gustavsson have been. Spare me dude. You guys could use the help in net. Look at LA. They consistently drafted goalies until a pair (Quick/Bernier) stuck. Washington was able to trade away a starting quality goalie because they already had two more waiting in the wings following the same philosophy. This is as good as it's going to get as far as goaltending pools go for a few years. Not too sure I'd leave Brandon Whitney being in the third round to chance. Tall goaltenders are hard to come by, and there's a drop off after him (Vasilevsky and Dansk) in terms of talent.

Oh and uh, leave it to Burke to try to get under Montreal's skin by taking the younger Subban.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Still didn't change it, LA's 2nd rounder belongs to Dallas. LA doesn't have a pick in the first two rounds, I believe.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Easily one of the better mocks I have seen. Very good logic.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:42 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
Easily one of the better mocks I have seen. Very good logic.
Thanks man. Trust me I was tempted to take Galchenyuk away from you guys. But it does make sense for TML. Just count yourselves lucky that somehow your team had more wins than the Ducks but you guys get to pick one spot higher

Old
06-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Thanks man. Trust me I was tempted to take Galchenyuk away from you guys. But it does make sense for TML. Just count yourselves lucky that somehow your team had more wins than the Ducks but you guys get to pick one spot higher
Haha hey no doubt. About as close as it get

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote