HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Crosby question???

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2004, 12:58 PM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Gretzky's personal services contract was transferable. Nelson Skalbania "sold" Gretzky's contract when the Racers went bankrupt.

Either way, it was not a contract that bound Grezky to the Oilers, it was merely the way that he was paid by Pocklington.

If the contract bound Gretzky exclusively to the Oilers, they wouldn't have needed to protect him in the annual waiver drafts, for example.

Pocklington might have been able to have Gretzky signed to just a PS contract in the WHA, but in the NHL, a standart NHL contract is required for all players.

Old
12-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

On his 18th birthday, Gretzky signed a 21-year personal services contract with Pocklington on January 26, 1979. At the time, the deal, said to be worth between $4 and $5 million, was the longest player agreement in hockey history.

There were mixed opinions about Gretzky’s decision to sign a contract that would make him Pocklington’s property through the 1998-99 season. Gretzky’s father, Walter, advised his son to make the commitment.

Walter could see that his son liked Edmonton. The elder Gretzky also knew the contract would be good security in the event of an injury.

The only hitch attached to the contract was a 10-year renegotiation clause. Regardless, Pocklington capitalized on the advantages of the WHA.

On August 10, 1988, the 21-year contract Gretzky signed on his 18th birthday in 1979 was wiped out. Less than a month before that historic day in 1988.

http://www.oilersheritage.com/legacy...cklington.html

For Pocklington, the personal-service deal was a cunning move. He was fully aware that the WHA was in financial trouble, and the only way the Oilers could survive was if the National Hockey League adopted the team. The Racers folding was a harbinger of even tougher times for the league. The fact that Pocklington inherited a personal-service contract and not a traditional player’s deal was key. When the Oilers, Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques and New England Whalers were green-lighted to join the NHL, all WHA player contracts were waived and the players belonging to the four franchises were put into a draft pool. However, Gretzky's contract was officially with Pocklington, and not just the Oilers, and therefore was exempt from the dispersal. This unique deal guaranteed the most talked-about teenager in sports history would begin his NHL career with the Oilers.

http://www.oilersheritage.com/histor...n_gretzky.html

Last edited by Mess: 12-29-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old
12-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Gretzky's personal services contract was transferable. Nelson Skalbania "sold" Gretzky's contract when the Racers went bankrupt.

Either way, it was not a contract that bound Grezky to the Oilers, it was merely the way that he was paid by Pocklington.

If the contract bound Gretzky exclusively to the Oilers, they wouldn't have needed to protect him in the annual waiver drafts, for example.

Pocklington might have been able to have Gretzky signed to just a PS contract in the WHA, but in the NHL, a standart NHL contract is required for all players.
Just because you keep repeating yourself, your opinion is not all of a sudden going to become magically correct ..

You will still be WRONG ...no matter how many times you say it ..

Remember these are Leaf Fans here you are trying to mislead, and as such not easily fooled, as your fellow Hab fans..

Lets let the posters make up their minds here for themselves ..

Either they can agree to believe your unsupported MAKE BELIEVE opinions

or they can simply follow the links I have provided and see for themselves what the actual REAL TRUTH was ..

I think the Conclusion will be rather obvious what the outcome will be ..

Last edited by Mess: 12-29-2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old
12-29-2004, 04:11 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Just because you keep repeating yourself, your opinion is not all of a sudden going to become magically correct ..

You will still be WRONG ...no matter how many times you say it ..

Remember these are Leaf Fans here you are trying to mislead, and as such not easily fooled, as your fellow Hab fans..

Lets let the posters make up their minds here for themselves ..

Either they can agree to believe your unsupported MAKE BELIEVE opinions

or they can simply follow the links I have provided and see for themselves what the actual REAL TRUTH was ..

I think the Conclusion will be rather obvious what the outcome will be ..
How ironic that you keep dredging out the same quotes and the same link to some Oiler heritage site and yet you announce that repeating things don't make them true.

Still, I have to ask, if any of what you say is true, why did the Oilers protect Gretzky in the dispersal Draft? Why did they protect him every single year in the Waiver draft? If he couldn't play for any other team, why did they do it? Why did they risk losing other players for no reason?

You've already state in this thread you believe no team would have drafted Wayne Gretzky if he had entered the 1979 Draft because of the PS contract, so I assume you believe no one would claim Gretzky in the waiver draft fo this same reason. So why did Sather protect him year after year at the expense of other players?

Old
01-25-2005, 09:02 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
I was just wondering how fast Crosby would go from "the next one" to "the vastly overrated one" if the leafs ever managed to get their hands on him.

Old
01-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
I was just wondering how fast Crosby would go from "the next one" to "the vastly overrated one" if the leafs ever managed to get their hands on him.
not long is my guess...

Old
01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Courteau: No draft means Crosby in the Q
Canadian Press
1/25/2005

If there isn't an NHL draft this year because of the lockout, the commissioner of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League says star forward Sidney Crosby has to come back and play in the league next season.

Crosby, a 17-year-old from Cole Harbour, N.S., is the No. 1-ranked prospect for the 2005 NHL draft.

"The only thing I can say is he's under contract with Rimouski and the QMJHL for the next three years," Courteau said in an interview Tuesday from Longueuil, Que.

"If there's no NHL, I don't know what Sidney's going to do, but I know on our side that according to his contract he has to come back."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...87&hubName=nhl

NO EUROPE .. NO AHL ... NO SCAB player for Crosby ..

Closed Thread