Notices

Value of Bogosian?!

Old
06-25-2012, 07:51 PM
MajorPain

vCash: 500
Value of Bogosian?!

Hi guys,

1st, let me congrat you as you picked a pretty strong prospect in Trouba. I'm not a fan of of the Jets I have to admit allthough I do like several of your players including Evander Kane.

I'd like to have your input regarding Zach Bogosian as I heard that he had progressed pretty well last season. Last I heard about him, he wasn't living up to the expectations that were set in his draft year considering his rank.

I have to admit that I'm in a Sim league and that Bogosian is part of my team.

Basically, I'd like to know, coming from Jets fans knowing how good Bogo is and can become, if you would consider a trade like the following (peruly speculative of course):

Zach Bogosian Vs Brent Burns + 9th overall 2012

Bogo has plenty of RFA years left while Burns is a little older.

I am asking this to have a better idea of what value Bogosian has...but also and mainly because I'm a big hockey fan and like to have a good feel of the impact specific players have on their teams.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

MajorPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:52 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorPain View Post
Hi guys,

1st, let me congrat you as you picked a pretty strong prospect in Trouba. I'm not a fan of of the Jets I have to admit allthough I do like several of your players including Evander Kane.

I'd like to have your input regarding Zach Bogosian as I heard that he had progressed pretty well last season. Last I heard about him, he wasn't living up to the expectations that were set in his draft year considering his rank.

I have to admit that I'm in a Sim league and that Bogosian is part of my team.

Basically, I'd like to know, coming from Jets fans knowing how good Bogo is and can become, if you would consider a trade like the following (peruly speculative of course):

Zach Bogosian Vs Brent Burns + 9th overall 2012

Bogo has plenty of RFA years left while Burns is a little older.

I am asking this to have a better idea of what value Bogosian has...but also and mainly because I'm a big hockey fan and like to have a good feel of the impact specific players have on their teams.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Wouldn't take it in the NHL but then again if it's a sim league there are way too many factors in there. Plus the Jets had the 9th overall, so if I wouldn't give up Bogosian for Burns and the 9th, I definitely wouldn't give up Bogosian and the 9th for Burns.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Aerial

Hello and welcome. I think you will find that most of us consider Bogosian pretty much untouchable; likely the only true untouchable on the team. Our GM (who rarely gives specifics) has stated outright that he intends to build the defense around Bogosian, our coach once said he thought the idea of trading a player like Bogo was crazy.

So I'm not really sure what advice to offer you around your sim league, but as far as your own interest goes -- Bogosian really got his development back on track with the Jets last year. He's thriving under Charlie Huddy, loves the city, and appears to be evolving into a leader on this team and relishing that opportunity.

Basically, right now we are thrilled with everything about Bogosian, on- and off the ice, and he's still very young (especially for a D-man). It is very doubtful that we trade him for anything remotely realistic. We are building around him, and since he likely isn't even close to his peak yet, I think we happily hang onto him and watch him grow.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
I have no idea how a sim league works.

If it was a regular fantasy league I'd take that for sure. Otherwise, probably not...

Bogosian and Burns will provide similar point production, but if HITS is a valuable category than Bogosian will outdo Burns fairly consistently. I guess it depends on how you value 9th overall.

Bogosian has been trending upwards here and I'd be looking at him to start receiving even more ice-time this upcoming season.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:59 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

in my opinion he is one of our top 3 players....and will be the best player on the team in time.

my guess is that he will be a captain and a perennial all star in the not too distant future.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:44 PM
MajorPain

Wow,didn't realize he was that much back on track. He had struggled so much I find...many were saying he wouldn't hit the potential that was attributed to him as a 3rd overall...it was that bad I recall.

But then I started hearing good things about him this past season but wasn't aware he had turned it around that bad.

I have a pretty yound group of Dmen and my interest level is pretty high to land the 9th overall as it would give me a shot at a few top prospects. Burns would indeed have a similar production IMO but if Bogosian is going towards captain material and All-star player...I'll think twice about moving him lol.

MajorPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorPain View Post
Wow,didn't realize he was that much back on track. He had struggled so much I find...many were saying he wouldn't hit the potential that was attributed to him as a 3rd overall...it was that bad I recall.

But then I started hearing good things about him this past season but wasn't aware he had turned it around that bad.
Here's an article from as early as November, when he was already looking way settled down versus his rather disastrous 2010-11:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...133597773.html

After that it kind of only seemed to get better. He's still so young too. Obviously his game is still developing but he worked so hard, you could see him improve almost every game through the whole season.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
TCsmyth

Ever heard of Chuck Norris? Do the valuation on Chuck...you have BogoCop

Norris = Bogo

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:32 AM
HPsauce

I would say at this point Bogosian is a better player then Burns. This year he will take another step, it would be a bad idea to trade him for Burns and the 9th.

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:08 AM
heilongjetsfan

vCash: 758
Bogo is my favourite Jet. As far as I'm concerned, this year wasn't a "turnaround" but just the next step. He's got great eyes, great hands, and a great attitude. He's also faster skating backward than most NHLers can skate forward.

Defensemen take a little longer than forwards to develop and this guy got rushed to the NHL. His struggles in Atlanta weren't due to him not being good enough, but not being ready.

I think the next two years will see Bogo improve on the same curve as this year, and from that point on, I expect him to be in the conversation for Norris trophy for pretty much the rest of his career. Hopefully all in Winnipeg!

That said, the answer to your question "should I pull this trigger?" is "iunno." There's too many intangibles. Ok it's a keeper league, but are YOU going to keep it up for years and years? In that case, the answer is simple, no. Are you quitting after this season? Then take Burns and start trading away picks for roster players. What about the rest of your team? Are you holding guys that are retiring, or won't retire even though they should? Then maybe you need to stock the cupboards a little. Do you already have another pick in the 1st round? Where? How many teams are in the league? Is it pick 9 out of 10? Are you rebuilding? Contending? Dark-horsing?

heilongjetsfan is online now   Reply With Quote