HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LH Defenseman

Old
06-29-2012, 10:10 AM
dRange44

vCash: 500
Just announced that the Flames have signed Cory Sarich to a 2 year, 4 million dollar deal.

They now have 9 defenseman signed to NHL contracts with TJ Brodie being on a 2 way deal.

dRange44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Sheldon Souray

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...31432215891968

I'm not a fan of Sheldon Souray, 35 years old. what does everyone think of Souray?

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:37 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I mentioned him about a week ago as a backup plan. I wouldn't mind having him. That's a problem though if ownership will barely allow Army to spend to the floor.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:47 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
This is going right back to the conversations that were going in the thread in the Free agent/Trades section. As pocketnines pointed out, its not all about how many games you have played, but how well you played in them. Petro has around the same amount of games played, wouldn't you feel comfortable giving him a contract at 5mil and not call it a "gamble"? Sure, he played with Campbell there, but he would play with Petro here. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

I do not agree that the biggest need is transition/offense, I believe it to be synergy with Petro/solid defense. We are not looking to reinvent anything, just find a great line partner here. He has a mid-high grade transition game and a wicked slapshot but more importantly, provides a very good defensive game that will match up with Petro's style of play.

I personally would like to see a 5mil x 3yr contract for this guy
It's already been reported that Garrison wants at least 5 years in his new contract. And of course I would feel comfortable with Pietro getting 5+ yrs/5+ Mil. That's a ridiculous question and completely irrelevant. Pietrangelo is obviously a different breed of player who has shown consistency all throughout his young career. IMO for that kind of money you need production and consistency, and with Garrison there are no guarantees. That's all I've been trying to point out is that there are a few concerns surrounding Garrison, and among others his unproven offense/transition game is one of them. Apparently you're not as concerned as I am with that aspect, but I felt the lack of transition and movement on that left side was something that really handicapped this team(Particularly during the playoffs). And again, given our limited options...I wouldn't mind Armstrong taking a gamble on him, but I definitely do feel that for that price and term and for the rest of the above mentioned reasons that there would be a significant amount of risk involved. JMHO

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:57 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRange44 View Post
In today's NHL any defenseman who can play 22+ minutes a night and move the puck is going to cash in big time...especially if they earn the right to become an unrestricted free agent.

Nothing that has happened in the last few weeks has changed anything regarding the Blues ability to sign or make a trade for a big ticket player on July 1st.

Doug Armstrong has been vocal about needing to add a top 4 defenseman. Top 4 defenseman are very expensive. This has been established for a few years now.

I'm not in love with Bouwmeester but I will use him as an example.

People act like Bouwmeester has an 11 year contract. No, there are two years remaining. If the Blues were to add him and it does not work out it isn't the end of the world. The Blues wouldn't be adding Bouwmeester with the expectation that he needs to win a Norris Trophy or be a team captain. They would be adding him to do what he does...be a solid 6'4" defenseman who can move the puck, play in all situations, and play 25+ minutes a night. I'd actually argue that it's a pretty safe bet the Blues got 2 solid years out of the guy. He'll be 29 when the season starts. Do people realize he hasn't missed an NHL game in 8 years?
It's not the length of the contract that makes it so bad, it's the fact that it basically eliminates all financial flexibility that the Blues have for the next two years. There will be no external additions to tweak the roster should things need tweaking or filling out, all trades will need to be at least a wash salary-wise, no rentals at the trade deadline, and next year when we have Stewart, Berglund, D'Agostini, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Russell and Cole all hitting RFA it's going to be a huge mess (even assuming McDonald's expiring contract goes towards re-signing the best of that lot).

If you're going to tie up that much salary in one player, he needs to be worth it. Bouwmeester simply isn't. Not even close. On most of his better nights he's invisible. That's actually the kindest adjective I can think of to describe his better play. He plays a lot, but he's not an impact player by any stretch of the imagination, and the Blues would be no closer to the Cup with him on their top pairing than they were with Colaiacovo. Arguably, they would actually be further away given the opportunity cost involved.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:19 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
I'm still split on Bouwmeester. I've always thought he was the most overrated hockey player in the world and still do, but I think it is a very realistic possibility that he has gotten burned out playing in Calgary and lost his passion. Playing for a contender again could potentially reignite the passion. Maybe he has been overused, and if he goes into a lesser role, he will thrive.

IMO, there are too many if's and maybe's with him. Trading for him won't cost a lot and I don't think if Army would trade for him if it meant we'd potentially lose one of the core guys for salary reasons next summer.

I don't know, he could be a huge success or it could be a huge waste of money. I think I'd rather play Cole, unless Calgary wants to send some significant amount of cash with Jaybo.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:37 AM
HooliganX2

My understanding is he turned down a 3 million a season deal in Dallas. So I personally have not interest in him for over 3 million.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:47 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
My understanding is he turned down a 3 million a season deal in Dallas. So I personally have not interest in him for over 3 million.
I completely agree. If we completely strike out on Suter and Garrison, I'd offer him $2.75 million and see what he says. Injuries will happen and Cole would still see plenty of ice time.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

I think Souray wants to go to a legit contender and have a chance at winning a Cup. I think what he went trough finally humbled him and now he justs wants to win.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRange44 View Post
He'll be 29 when the season starts. Do people realize he hasn't missed an NHL game in 8 years?
Well, not physically no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I think it is a very realistic possibility that he has gotten burned out playing in Calgary and lost his passion. Playing for a contender again could potentially reignite the passion. Maybe he has been overused, and if he goes into a lesser role, he will thrive.
Two points on that.
1) He has never had a surfeit of passion.
2) The thought of putting a player making 6.5+/year for the next two years for a player that needs a reduced role is...disheartening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
IMO, there are too many if's and maybe's with him. Trading for him won't cost a lot and I don't think if Army would trade for him if it meant we'd potentially lose one of the core guys for salary reasons next summer. I don't know, he could be a huge success or it could be a huge waste of money. I think I'd rather play Cole, unless Calgary wants to send some significant amount of cash with Jaybo.
Agreed, although even if Calgary did (or even could) send money along with JBo I am still not sure I would want him on the Blues. I would hate for Pietrangelo's agent to be able to use that in negotiations.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:20 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

A lesser role for Jaybo could be only playing 22 minutes a game, which is still top pairing minutes. Calgary used him like Pietrangelo, and Jaybo isn't that good. Kinda like when we put Jackman back on the 2nd pairing with Shattenkirk, and he played a lot better. If Jaybo is the #2, but still on the top pairing, I think he could potentially thrive.

Still too many if's and maybe's for me to actually want him though. It is not a good thing if you are 28 and the word "potential" still has to be associated with you.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:45 PM
OhNoLookOutRUN

As an aside, Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo would be the most misspelled and mispronounced D pairing in the NHL.

Edit: well, crap. Probably not any worse than Colaiacovo - Pietrangelo.

OhNoLookOutRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:57 PM
zachws6

Hell no I do not want Jay Bouwmeester's 6.7 million dollar contract. What a joke. How can HE be our highest paid player?! Bad message sent through out the organization.

zachws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:13 PM
stlweir

JBow doesn't hit anyone, he does eat up a lot of minutes. I agree. Sends I bad message to bring him in and over pay him.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoLookOutRUN View Post
As an aside, Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo would be the most misspelled and mispronounced D pairing in the NHL.

Edit: well, crap. Probably not any worse than Colaiacovo - Pietrangelo.
Bouwmeester is easy to spell and pronounce if you are Dutch. It means "master builder" bouw=build, meester =master. One of his long-gone ancestors was a building engineer/architect or building crew manager. It is pronounced as bow in bowing down to The King, and mace (as in the stuff you spray into attackers' eyes)-ter (as in "turn").

Not being Italian, I can only guess that Pietrangelomeans "Angelic little Peter".

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:49 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Bouwmeester is easy to spell and pronounce if you are Dutch. It means "master builder" bouw=build, meester =master. One of his long-gone ancestors was a building engineer/architect or building crew manager. It is pronounced as bow in bowing down to The King, and mace (as in the stuff you spray into attackers' eyes)-ter (as in "turn").

Not being Italian, I can only guess that Pietrangelomeans "Angelic little Peter".

Pietrangelo translates closer to Stone Cold.
Pietra-Stone or Rock
Gelo-Cold/frosty

There'd be some fun word play in a Pietrangelo-Bouwmeester pairing.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:29 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
It's already been reported that Garrison wants at least 5 years in his new contract. And of course I would feel comfortable with Pietro getting 5+ yrs/5+ Mil. That's a ridiculous question and completely irrelevant. Pietrangelo is obviously a different breed of player who has shown consistency all throughout his young career. IMO for that kind of money you need production and consistency, and with Garrison there are no guarantees. That's all I've been trying to point out is that there are a few concerns surrounding Garrison, and among others his unproven offense/transition game is one of them. Apparently you're not as concerned as I am with that aspect, but I felt the lack of transition and movement on that left side was something that really handicapped this team(Particularly during the playoffs). And again, given our limited options...I wouldn't mind Armstrong taking a gamble on him, but I definitely do feel that for that price and term and for the rest of the above mentioned reasons that there would be a significant amount of risk involved. JMHO
My point about paying Pietrangelo was just to show an extreme. The games played will always have an * by it. I understand your concerns and I somewhat agree, especially on his transition game and how we lacked that for the better part of the playoffs, but he has a monster shot and I do see some very nice offensive upside to him. He is a little old but also seems to be very mature.

I understand that he as expressed that he is looking for 5 years, I was only stating what would be ideal in my eyes. Maybe he would take that to come here and play with Pietrangelo.

To me, its a gamble for sure, but I guess I just see it a a much safer gamble than you do. Agree to disagree

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:22 AM
execwrite

Bryce Salvador ... going once, going twice ...

Any interest?

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:25 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Bryce Salvador ... going once, going twice ...

Any interest?
No interest. If we can't get a legit top pairing dman, then I think we should roll with Cole.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:32 AM
stlweir

If Bryce came in as a Huskins type depth D man at a reasonable contract who is giving an opportunity to earn playing time I think he would be a good addition.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:10 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
If Bryce came in as a Huskins type depth D man at a reasonable contract who is giving an opportunity to earn playing time I think he would be a good addition.
Salvador is over his concussion issues and was excellent in the playoffs. New Jersey has big time ownership problems.

He could be the guy.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Salvador is over his concussion issues and was excellent in the playoffs. New Jersey has big time ownership problems.

He could be the guy.
He's not a top pairing guy though we need a top pairing guy. I would only sign his as a #7 guy and let Cole play.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
It would be nice to somehow get Oliver Ekman-Larsson, even though hes not as much of a defensive defense man as needed, maybe Phoenix would be dumb enough to part with him.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:45 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
It would be nice to somehow get Oliver Ekman-Larsson, even though hes not as much of a defensive defense man as needed, maybe Phoenix would be dumb enough to part with him.
Honestly, I think it is more likely that I start the season as the 3rd line center...

Old
06-30-2012, 03:14 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
OEL is not much of a defensive defenseman the way Pietrangelo isn't a defensive defenseman. I will agree with Bleedblue1223 He's more likely to be our starting center then it would be for the Blues to trade for OEL.