HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

LH Defenseman

Old
06-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Parrish

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post

Carle – soft, bad defensive hockey sense. Point totals inflated by injuries giving him more ice time and PP time and the Flyers getting into pinball scoring games so often where he picks up secondary assists. Very, very low on my want list. Remember a year ago when much of the discussion was on Coburn and Carle and Coburn was clearly the one of the two we would've wanted? There's a reason Philly locked up Coburn and not Carle. He will also come at a pricetag in the 4M range and would be the prototypical defender who would crumble under LA Kings type pressure in the d-zone.
"Soft" I disagree, but I'll admit he isn't a physically monster either. I completly disagree with you. His fast play is exactly what you need against a team like LA. His offesnive scores were not just because he played on philly. That is ridiculous as he has been good at getting the puck through the neutraul zone for years. He won a hobey Baker for it. If you get the puck through you are going to procuce chances. How would that be any different in Philly as oppsed to St.L.?

Finally your comparason to Coburn is completely pointless. I'd prefer Coburn too. So? Perhaps Philly will just send him over? I would also prefer Chara to Carle. Perhaps Doughty? Hedman?

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Harley83

I just don't think Carle is what STL needs. We already have enough offensive-defenseman, the Blues need someone that is confrontational, gritty and that plays more of a stay-at-home style of defense.

I think that Carle looked good from playing with Kimmo Timonen. He's basically makes more money than Petro with less talent it just doesn't make sense when he doesn't offer much in the way of gritty play.

Without having the confrontational style of play that Jackman and Polak offers you end up with the Montreal Canadiens recipe. Talented offensive-defenseman that would rather score than protect their goalie.

Last edited by Harley83: 06-08-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
"Soft" I disagree, but I'll admit he isn't a physically monster either. I completly disagree with you. His fast play is exactly what you need against a team like LA. His offesnive scores were not just because he played on philly. That is ridiculous as he has been good at getting the puck through the neutraul zone for years. He won a hobey Baker for it. If you get the puck through you are going to procuce chances. How would that be any different in Philly as oppsed to St.L.?

Finally your comparason to Coburn is completely pointless. I'd prefer Coburn too. So? Perhaps Philly will just send him over? I would also prefer Chara to Carle. Perhaps Doughty? Hedman?
You misunderstood my mention of Coburn. I brought it up to remind people that a year ago this time LHD had already become the #1 need and so there was plenty of discussion about who might fit. Was trying to jog folks' memory because when that discussion took place, Coburn and Carle were two of those discussed (Coburn hadn't been locked up yet). Lots of proposed deals for Coburn, remember? I was simply reminding people that this wasn't the first time Carle had been considered. We sure didn't like the idea then; I don't see why the idea has gotten better.

As for physicality, he isn't physical. AT ALL. Your argument about his speed against LA is probably the best argument that could be made for his acquisition. When I say soft I mean, he isn't winning 50/50 battles with wingers in his own zone enough and he certainly isn't clearing traffic because to do that you need to have some physical aspect to your game. Increasingly, goals are scored in this league (and certainly against our system) by capitalizing on traffic and bounces in front. Carle would not be part of the solution there; he'd be part of the problem. Contrasted with someone like Garrison, or even Allen (who I'd definitely prefer to Carle), that's an aspect to his game we can't have happen.

Here's a thread where Philly fans discuss his pros and cons in great detail. It's not all negative but the vast majority can't wait to get rid of him.

There is further speculation that Carle will be re-signed and they're not happy about it over there.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Be a Hab

Should sign Hal Gill

Be a Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:35 PM
BleedBlue42

I think if the blues are going to sign a top LHD, then they will probably need to trade someone. I think the blues are financially outcompeted when it comes to getting Suter or Garrison.

Good trade targets (all left handed shut down defensemen)

Seidenberg (30 years old)
Mark Stuart (28 years old)
Josh Gorges (27 years old)
Volchenkov (30 years old)
Robyn Regehr (32 years old)
Doug Murray (32 years old)

Many of these look untouchable, but remember, Gretzky was traded multiple times, and the Blues do have an abundance of wingers, so I would be okay sacrificing a forward like D'ags and a 1st rounder.

Last edited by BleedBlue42: 06-08-2012 at 05:41 PM.
BleedBlue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:43 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBrathwaite View Post
I think if the blues are going to sign a top LHD, then they will probably need to trade someone. I think the blues are financially outcompeted when it comes to getting Suter or Garrison.

Doug Murray (32 years old)

Many of these look untouchable, but remember, Gretzky was traded multiple times, and the Blues do have an abundance of wingers, so I would be okay sacrificing a forward like D'ags and a 1st rounder.
Besides Gorges the list really isn't impressive enough to make a trade for with our first IMO.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:46 PM
BleedBlue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Besides Gorges the list really isn't impressive enough to make a trade for with our first IMO.
Look, we are asking for a huge piece of another team. These guys are significant shut down D on their respective teams, and we will need to make a sacrifice in order to get one of these guys. We have to start giving up big pieces if we expect to get a number 2 defensemen.

Also, I really like Seidenberg's game. He was a huge reason Boston won the cup.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Harley83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66theNBERofthebeast View Post
Should sign Hal Gill
Hal Gill is good at defending his goaltender that being said he is very slow, a poor stick handler and for his size a ridiculously terrible fighter. He is certainly not worth $2.25M.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:56 PM
BleedBlue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66theNBERofthebeast View Post
Should sign Hal Gill
he is too old in my opinion

Old
06-08-2012, 05:59 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:

Doug Murrary (32 years old)

Many of these look untouchable, but remember, Gretzky was traded multiple times, and the Blues do have an abundance of wingers, so I would be okay sacrificing a forward like D'ags and Rattie.
Don't agree they'll be outcompeted financially on Garrison. Suter perhaps but not Garrison. That's more a thing people say to hedge against the reality that there will be suitors and ultimately it's his choice; nobody wants to think their team bid an equal amount and he didn't choose you.

Regardless, looking at that list, the bottom two stand out as no gos. Regehr was brutal this year and shut nobody down. He also put up 5 points in 76 games and he makes 4M. I'd rather have Matt Carle for that money and I don't want Matt Carle. Murray is a left Polak who's far less mobile. He was ineffective against the Blues so we know he'd be ineffective against a team like the Kings. A large contingent of Sharks fans wanted him healthy scratched. No thank you. The one Sharks guy is Vlasic.

Which brings me to the main point about this setting the sights lower thinking of just getting a top-four, one-way defender. That is not what we need. We have that in Barret Jackman. People who look for the Allens and Murrays are just shrugging and saying well we have a need, but we'll just assume it can't be filled so let's shuffle the deck chairs on what we already have. Yeah, it sucks that we need a top-pair LHD and they're more scarce but it doesn't make us not need that guy or change the need. A top-pair NHL defender is like a first-line forward. They hold tons of value and are hard to get. 2d line forwards and 2d pairing one-dimensional defenseman are definitely easier to get but the Blues don't need those guys. That's just how it is at this particular stage of development. Either get the bonafide player who, if Pietrangelo were to miss time, the guy could still anchor tons of minutes and provide a two-way game ... or just re-sign Jackman who wants to be here and is still a very strong defensive defenseman.

You know how the poster PavelDatsyuk has earned a ton of respect on our board because he's very careful and objective about how he analyzes defense? Take a look at a post he made on who the best 15 defensive defensemen in the league are. I think it's a spot-on list. Suter and Garrison are both on that list, and it's because they're so strong against top competition. So is Barret Jackman, by the way (the question was pure defensive D). These are players who can be rocks even if there occur injuries to other guys. The Blues absolutely, positively cannot go into another postseason where if Pietrangelo gets taken out that's the end of things. So if they can't get a defense-first upgrade who also as at least some offensive capacity they're better off sticking with their current strong one-dimenstional defender in Jackman.

Old
06-08-2012, 06:21 PM
BleedBlue42

Quote:
Don't agree they'll be outcompeted financially on Garrison. Suter perhaps but not Garrison. That's more a thing people say to hedge against the reality that there will be suitors and ultimately it's his choice; nobody wants to think their team bid an equal amount and he didn't choose you.

Which brings me to the main point about this setting the sights lower thinking of just getting a top-four, one-way defender. That is not what we need. We have that in Barret Jackman. People who look for the Allens and Murrays are just shrugging and saying well we have a need, but we'll just assume it can't be filled so let's shuffle the deck chairs on what we already have. Yeah, it sucks that we need a top-pair LHD and they're more scarce but it doesn't make us not need that guy or change the need. A top-pair NHL defender is like a first-line forward. They hold tons of value and are hard to get. 2d line forwards and 2d pairing one-dimensional defenseman are definitely easier to get but the Blues don't need those guys. That's just how it is at this particular stage of development. Either get the bonafide player who, if Pietrangelo were to miss time, the guy could still anchor tons of minutes and provide a two-way game ... or just re-sign Jackman who wants to be here and is still a very strong defensive defenseman.

I think it's a spot-on list. Suter and Garrison are both on that list, and it's because they're so strong against top competition. So is Barret Jackman, by the way (the question was pure defensive D). These are players who can be rocks even if there occur injuries to other guys. The Blues absolutely, positively cannot go into another postseason where if Pietrangelo gets taken out that's the end of things. So if they can't get a defense-first upgrade who also as at least some offensive capacity they're better off sticking with their current strong one-dimenstional defender in Jackman.

1. The Blues as a whole were ineffective against LA so maybe we should trade the entire team away.

2. Name 5 available defensemen that we could possible sign that could replace Petro if he were to go down with an injury. It's not that easy. The teams with those types of defensemen would be asking for a HUGE piece of our own team, and that would create another hole. Those types of defensemen are diamonds.

3. If you haven't already heard, the Blues are struggling financially, and the Florida Panthers are loaded financially, are seriously planning on resigning Garrison, and reported that they are confident that they can get that deal done. So we as fans can fairly assume that he is out of the picture. The same is said about the Red Wings and Suter.

TL edit

5. No way the Blues are going to build their team around Petro potentially getting injured. Yes, that did just happen, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that likelihood is high. For example, Nashville has Rinne has their backbone, and if he gets injured, then they are screwed, but you can't invest that much money into a "replacement" when the likelihood of even using that player as a replacement is low. There is some risk involved naturally. That is why you don't see management build teams around individual players potentially getting injured.

Last edited by BleedBlue42: 06-08-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old
06-08-2012, 06:41 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
1. The Blues as a whole were ineffective against LA so maybe we should trade the entire team away.
Uh, ok. Are you saying the reasons we struggled against LA are un-analyzable? Because, no.

Quote:
2. Name 5 available defensemen that we could possible sign that could replace Petro if he were to go down with an injury. It's not that easy. The teams with those types of defensemen would be asking for a HUGE piece of our own team, and that would create another hole. Those types of defensemen are diamonds.
Yes, you've got it! You're hearing exactly what I'm saying. The piece has to be a top caliber piece. I don't get why people think the problem will be fixed by getting something less than what you need. If you have a problem that requires duct tape and you use scotch tape because you can't get duct tape for whatever reason ... guess what? You still have a problem.

As far as naming players, do you mean name five players like the ones you named who belong to other teams? Or name five free agents? There are only two free agents who fit this profile – Suter and Garrison. The rest would have to be traded to acquire. Giordano is one example. There are a few others. They are very hard to acquire which reflects how much value such a player would bring to the Blues; hence this should explain my repeated focus on Jason Garrison who is both affordable even if it's as high as 5x5 (you have to shed Jackman and promote Cole in that event IMO) and who wouldn't cost a single player asset. It's also why Stewart's 3.25M looks like a good idea to save as well, considering Tarasenko on his ELC should easily be able to provide what Stewart provided this year, and that's even lower than my expected range for him (35-48).

Quote:
3. If you haven't already heard, the Blues are struggling financially, and the Florida Panthers are loaded financially, are seriously planning on resigning Garrison, and reported that they are confident that they can get that deal done. So we as fans can fairly assume that he is out of the picture. The same is said about the Red Wings and Suter.
We are in a time of speculation. I shouldn't be aware Garrison is a perfect fit before I check with you as far as what you've convinced yourself is going to happen? Please. If I were Florida I'd sign Garrison too but they have some D prospects like Kulikov and Gudbrandson pushing for more minutes down there and it's not written in stone they'll bring him back. He also might want to see what other teams will offer. I was also unaware the Red Wings had signed Suter. How much did he get, just out of curiosity.

TL edit

Old
06-08-2012, 06:45 PM
BleedBlue42

Quote:
I was also unaware the Red Wings had signed Suter. How much did he get, just out of curiosity.

TL edit
1. Never said Wings signed Suter. I only said that they are openly attempting to sign him as their top priority, and you and everyone else knows that the Wings are financially sound, and that getting Suter should be someone the Blues go after but don't expect the Blues to outbid the Wings.

TL edit

Last edited by BleedBlue42: 06-08-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old
06-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Chairman Maouth

Knock off the bickering please.

06-08-2012, 07:48 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
This thread just went from vanilla to multi platinum.

Yay for misunderstandings resulting in epic fails!

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Ignore42me*

Im pretty sure i heard Bob McKenzie say that if Suter does not re-sign with the Preds, he does not expect Weber to re-sign either. I wonder if the Blues could get Weber.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Harley83

Weber he can shoot, he can score and he can smash your head into the glass!

Old
06-08-2012, 10:37 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

To be honest, I'm not sure either Weber or Suter would be okay playing second fiddle to Pietrangelo.

And yes, I think that over the length of their next contracts, Pietrangelo will outplay both of them.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:42 PM
BleedBlue42

2 Way LHD

So I got some feedback from my original post about getting a LHD. Apparently, we need a 2 way LHD opposed to a shut down -stay at home- defensemen to pair with Pietrangelo. That being said, we would probably need to sacrifice a significant player on our team to get that type of player. Most of those teams will refuse to give away Doughty, Hedmen, Suter, Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Seabrook, Keith, Dan Boyle, Brent Burns, Chara, or Pronger.

What do you think? Should we go for a 2 way elite defensemen or a Roman Polak clone that would allow Petro to focus on offense?

If we were to go for the 2 way elite, we might have to give up someone like Backes or Oshie. Or do you agree
that we couldn't possibly get such a stud because teams out there aren't willing to give up their backbones nowadays. Your thoughts?

Old
06-09-2012, 12:07 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

This doesn't need a new thread, and we need a #2-3, not an elite.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:05 AM
BleedBlue42

Honestly, we can't get Suter or Garrison who are our 2 top choices of a LHD for petro. Therefore, we must look to other teams for a trade, but why would those other teams even consider giving up their 2 way high caliber defensemen to us, especially when those types of defensemen are the necessary pieces to help those teams win cups?

1. We won't trade elliot or halak to get this guy. That creates a serious hole.

2. We won't trade our D for another D. That would be self defeating…

3. We would have to trade a forward.

Except, put yourself in the shoes of another team's GM when Armstrong gives you a call asking about Victor Hedmen or Tyler Myers. Would you give up a necessary piece for a forward that the Blues have? No way. It's not like the Blues would give up Backes, Steen, or Oshie anyways.

I doubt we are getting one of these guys, but I'd like to see the Blues get a Roman Polak clone that shuts down other team's quick forwards and allows Petro to focus on offense.

Old
06-09-2012, 02:43 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Honestly, we can't get Suter or Garrison who are our 2 top choices of a LHD for petro. Therefore, we must look to other teams for a trade, but why would those other teams even consider giving up their 2 way high caliber defensemen to us, especially when those types of defensemen are the necessary pieces to help those teams win cups?

1. We won't trade elliot or halak to get this guy. That creates a serious hole.

2. We won't trade our D for another D. That would be self defeating…

3. We would have to trade a forward.

Except, put yourself in the shoes of another team's GM when Armstrong gives you a call asking about Victor Hedmen or Tyler Myers. Would you give up a necessary piece for a forward that the Blues have? No way. It's not like the Blues would give up Backes, Steen, or Oshie anyways.

I doubt we are getting one of these guys, but I'd like to see the Blues get a Roman Polak clone that shuts down other team's quick forwards and allows Petro to focus on offense.
Why so negative about the Blues' chances of signing an UFA? They certainly have the Cap room. And with not resigning Jackman/Cola, maybe trading Stewart (I doubt that move) they can take on the salary without actually increasing the team cap number. That would mean: Cole, Tarasenko and probably Schwartz are in the regular line-up. But those entry-level deals are going to do wonders for the Blues cap flexibility.....even if the team's internal cap doesn't change much with the new ownership.

Personally, I think the new ownership may surprise us. These guys realize how close the Blues are to being a legit Cup contender just like we do. They're not going to fritter it away by pinching pennies too tightly. I also think St Louis has got to be an attractive destination for a defenseman just about now.

Can the Blues get Suter? Maybe...but probably not. Garrison? Maybe. But I think they've got as good a chance as anyone. You can bet Armstrong has a plan and a Plan B and a Plan C.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:17 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Why so negative about the Blues' chances of signing an UFA? They certainly have the Cap room. And with not resigning Jackman/Cola, maybe trading Stewart (I doubt that move) they can take on the salary without actually increasing the team cap number. That would mean: Cole, Tarasenko and probably Schwartz are in the regular line-up. But those entry-level deals are going to do wonders for the Blues cap flexibility.....even if the team's internal cap doesn't change much with the new ownership.

Personally, I think the new ownership may surprise us. These guys realize how close the Blues are to being a legit Cup contender just like we do. They're not going to fritter it away by pinching pennies too tightly. I also think St Louis has got to be an attractive destination for a defenseman just about now.

Can the Blues get Suter? Maybe...but probably not. Garrison? Maybe. But I think they've got as good a chance as anyone. You can bet Armstrong has a plan and a Plan B and a Plan C.
That's exactly right and is the key. There are plans and backup plans. It's a big mistake to just assume that for the very reasons that they are our Plans A through D they're impossible so we should go immediately to Plan E before we know anything about A through D. We could hear it announced tomorrow that Garrison is re-signed with Florida. If I were them I would. We could hear Suter is re-signed with Nashville. We could see one of the plentiful Phoenix or NYR lefties dealt elsewhere thus drying up those possibilities. But until they actually happen we should talk about the ideas for what improves the Blues and that includes these options until further notice.

Old
06-09-2012, 05:50 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
That's exactly right and is the key. There are plans and backup plans. It's a big mistake to just assume that for the very reasons that they are our Plans A through D they're impossible so we should go immediately to Plan E before we know anything about A through D. We could hear it announced tomorrow that Garrison is re-signed with Florida. If I were them I would. We could hear Suter is re-signed with Nashville. We could see one of the plentiful Phoenix or NYR lefties dealt elsewhere thus drying up those possibilities. But until they actually happen we should talk about the ideas for what improves the Blues and that includes these options until further notice.

Correct on having backup plans.

Here's a name i'll throw out since aquite a few are talking about Garrison from FLA, how about one that got away for us to sign with FLA a couple seasons ago, Def Mike Weaver? I was a huge fan of his time here.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:44 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Correct on having backup plans.

Here's a name i'll throw out since aquite a few are talking about Garrison from FLA, how about one that got away for us to sign with FLA a couple seasons ago, Def Mike Weaver? I was a huge fan of his time here.
Will I like Weaver a lot he is not a top pairing guy, not what we are looking for.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote