HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parise, Nash or Suter

View Poll Results: You can sign one (and only one) of the three:
Parise 28 32.56%
Nash 6 6.98%
Suter 52 60.47%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Parise, Nash or Suter

If we could sign one (and only one) of the above 3 which one would you want.

06-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Suter.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:53 AM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Want Suter, no question.

Expect Nash because it's a trade for an "elite" player, not trying to sign an elite UFA in their prime with no previous Sharks connection, which Sharks have never done.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 50
Suter. Nash isn't a free agent, and I just dont see Parise leaving NJ.

Quote:
which Sharks have never done.
never say never. they have have never made it to the SC Finals either, gotta be willing to try different things if you wanna get there.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I still don't see Sharks trading for Nash and frankly never understood how they were considered finalists/frontrunners for him. Their prospect pool is razor thin, moving Couture would be a lateral move and I doubt the Jackets would settle for Pavelski, who also had a fine year for SJ.

Shipping Boyle out and bringing in Suter would be a decent move but the competition for Suter will be really heavy. It seems inevitable than as good as he is, he will get the kind of open-market, top-dollar deal guys like Timonen and Campbell got.

06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Suter. Nash isn't a free agent, and I just dont see Parise leaving NJ.

never say never. they have have never made it to the SC Finals either, gotta be willing to try different things if you wanna get there.
I say never not because the Sharks haven't landed an elite UFA in their prime with no connection ever, but because an elite UFA in their prime with no connection ever has ever signed with us (See the distinction? I am suggesting that such players ultimately don't want to come here). I think among such players there is a bias against the west coast (being far from east and really really far from home in Europe), and even when they are open to the west coast, San Jose still seems like no man's land.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:28 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
I still don't see Sharks trading for Nash and frankly never understood how they were considered finalists/frontrunners for him. Their prospect pool is razor thin, moving Couture would be a lateral move and I doubt the Jackets would settle for Pavelski, who also had a fine year for SJ.

Shipping Boyle out and bringing in Suter would be a decent move but the competition for Suter will be really heavy. It seems inevitable than as good as he is, he will get the kind of open-market, top-dollar deal guys like Timonen and Campbell got.
Trading Couture for Nash would be a step backwards. Trading Pavelski for Nash is a lateral move at best (slightly more offense for a lot less defense, and a LOT more salary). If we offered Pavelski for Nash, CBJ should be thrilled, he's the best player I've heard offered in any reported real offer for Nash (he's better than JVR for instance).

Nash is going to return a lot less than people think. Howsen traded Carter for Jack Johnson for crying out loud, who is a terrible terrible player. If the Sharks offered Pavelski, Niemi and a 1st I am pretty sure Howsen would take that and run, and the Sharks would be worse for it.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

I like Suter mainly because I would consider that as start or a mini re-build. While we can still compete right now our glaring need is the top-6 (forwards).

If we could get Suter I would be ok trading Clowe, Boyle and one of Thornton/Marleau/Pavs for prospects or picks. Atleast our defense would be set for a while.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Howsen traded Carter for Jack Johnson for crying out loud, who is a terrible terrible player.
to be fair, Carter isn't *that* much better....

Old
06-14-2012, 11:28 AM
sharski

Parise

Suter is probably the better option long-term, but I don't think our D is as big as a problem as our offense... I'd like to see how far we'd go with Parise on our top line

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:29 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
to be fair, Carter isn't *that* much better....
Then Jack Johnson? He's a hell of a lot better. Jack Johnson is literally one of the worst defensemen in the game defensively, and his offensive production is also pathetic when you remove powerplay points. Jeff Carter just won a cup, and had an impact on doing so. I honestly don't know if the Kings win the cup with Johnson and not Carter.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:39 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

i was hpoing for a none of the above option. oh wait what we would like to see. not what we think DW would do...

oh man totally mis read this poll.

meh - I'll take anyone who will improve the team but not at high end prices!

HOOCH2173 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

yeah I know Jack Johnson is the American version of Christian Ehrhoff, but still, Ive heard plenty of complaints about Carter from Kings fans accusing him of being a passenger during their Cup run. I dunno, but in terms of trade value Nash should get a lot more than what Howson got for Carter.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Then Jack Johnson? He's a hell of a lot better. Jack Johnson is literally one of the worst defensemen in the game defensively, and his offensive production is also pathetic when you remove powerplay points. Jeff Carter just won a cup, and had an impact on doing so. I honestly don't know if the Kings win the cup with Johnson and not Carter.
I agree that the Kings don't win the Cup without Carter. However, I also think Johnson looked miles better in CBJ than he did in LA. He's one of those players that does better when hes given the opportunity to be "the man."

Quote:
yeah I know Jack Johnson is the American version of Christian Ehrhoff, but still, Ive heard plenty of complaints about Carter from Kings fans accusing him of being a passenger during their Cup run. I dunno, but in terms of trade value Nash should get a lot more than what Howson got for Carter.
I would agree with that assessment. Carter didn't really make himself known until the SCF.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:55 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Parise - best match for teams needs by far.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:03 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
i was hpoing for a none of the above option. oh wait what we would like to see. not what we think DW would do...

oh man totally mis read this poll.

meh - I'll take anyone who will improve the team but not at high end prices!
I don't have a problem with your take. IMO, no matter what they do this off season, it will not be enough to get the silver thingy. Too many holes. I'm not voting because "None of the above" was not an option.

It's the Leafs argument. Does this type of acquisition keep the Sharks in the playoffs longer yet short of the goal as the other deck chairs are shuffled? Is it wise to postpone the team descending to the point where they will get a top draft pick?

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Gilligans Island

Article by Flyers beat writer about Suter. As we've heard he's only interested in WC teams:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...edium=referral

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:50 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Suter because although I love Boyle, Suter signing will mean Boyle gets traded for a younger forward/

Parise wouldnt of gotten more assets.

Nash costs assets.

For me it was easy

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Suter. Easily. Parise is quite overrated and his contract will be awful.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Falco5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Suter. Easily. Parise is quite overrated and his contract will be awful.
While I don't think Parise is overrated, his contract is going to be insane. There are way too many teams interested in his services. I think his contract will approach Kovi's.

Suter on the sharks would absolutely rule.

Falco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:19 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco5 View Post
While I don't think Parise is overrated, his contract is going to be insane. There are way too many teams interested in his services. I think his contract will approach Kovi's.

Suter on the sharks would absolutely rule.
Parise would be worth $7M for 3 or 4 or even 5 years. He would not be worth $7.5M over 8 years. He's a smallish guy who plays a big guy's game and takes a beating in front of the net. I don't see him having tons of longevity. Suter plays a safe, fundamentally sound game.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:28 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Parise would be worth $7M for 3 or 4 or even 5 years. He would not be worth $7.5M over 8 years. He's a smallish guy who plays a big guy's game and takes a beating in front of the net. I don't see him having tons of longevity. Suter plays a safe, fundamentally sound game.
Suter is one of the few players I would offer a 6-8 year deal for. It's worth the risk. Not cam circumventing per say, just long, if that's what he wants.

Parise? Not so much. We are not that desperate for an elite, but not superstar, forward, we already have a bunch of those signed to better deals. I'd offer Parise upto $7.5m for 4 years, but thats about it, and that's not going to get it done.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:43 PM
gonegonegone*

suter aianc.

assuming we kept boyle (not possible), our defense would be like

boyle suter
burns vlassic

and if we didn't

burns suter
demers/braun vlassic

in the first case, MASSIVE improvement, and in the 2nd, still an improvement.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:51 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Suter is one of the few players I would offer a 6-8 year deal for. It's worth the risk. Not cam circumventing per say, just long, if that's what he wants.

Parise? Not so much. We are not that desperate for an elite, but not superstar, forward, we already have a bunch of those signed to better deals. I'd offer Parise upto $7.5m for 4 years, but thats about it, and that's not going to get it done.
I completely agree on giving Suter a long-term contract. He's one of the few guys I'd do it for. And you have to think, with DW giving a semi-injury prone Burns a 5 year deal, maybe he'd stretch it to 6-8 for a steady guy like Suter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
suter aianc.

assuming we kept boyle (not possible), our defense would be like

boyle suter
burns vlassic

and if we didn't

burns suter
demers/braun vlassic

in the first case, MASSIVE improvement, and in the 2nd, still an improvement.
I like the second one very much. I think Demers would return to form if he were paired with Vlasic again, assuming a better off-season of training than last one. Hopefully Jason feels like he has something to prove.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:09 PM
sjshark91

None of the above.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote