HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It is Boyling this time of year. (Offseason Speculation Thread Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
For those who were penciling in Vokoun as a supposed Niemi replacement....

Earlier today, Washington traded Vokoun's rights to Pittsburgh for a 7th rounder. Pittsburgh then announced the signing of a 2 year, $2 million/yr deal for Vokoun.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Vokoun gets $2M per year on the two year deal.
damn it, but i did expect him to get 2m, just not from a team with a legit #1.

Can we trade for Fluery now?

Marleau has to get off Thorntons line, Thornton simpley doesnt look to give him the puck. Get a David Jones to play LW. Get a better shooting RW in Clowe trade.

Last edited by CommanderShepard15: 06-04-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I'd happily pay Winnik $2.5M. It's no wonder the bottom-6 started to look respectable when he was added. I'd keep Galiardi too, if only because he's young and a good forechecker and at the very least a good 4th line energy guy.

I agree 100% that Thornton and Marleau need to be separated. The chemistry they used to have is just not there anymore. Both players could be utilized better without each other, and it helps to have our two best forwards separated (Datsyuk and Zetterberg style).

Two guys I'd be really interested in is Patric Hornqvist or Sergei Kostitsyn. Hornqvist is a possession monster on a very bad possession team (Nashville) and Kostitsyn has an extremely accurate shot, which could only help the worst shooting team in the league last season.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Winnik was supposedly asking for 2,5mil from the Avs.
It seemed like he didn't like being with the Avs though so is it possible that he just wanted to get 2.5 mil to stay with the Avs. Kind of like the opposite of hometown discount.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
It seemed like he didn't like being with the Avs though so is it possible that he just wanted to get 2.5 mil to stay with the Avs. Kind of like the opposite of hometown discount.
IIRC what was posted on the Avs boards that wasn't the case and Winnik has a history of troubling contract negotiations (that's what got him traded to the Avs in the 1st place).

Old
06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
IIRC what was posted on the Avs boards that wasn't the case and Winnik has a history of troubling contract negotiations (that's what got him traded to the Avs in the 1st place).
He certainly has some leverage considering it would look like a massive failure on DWs part if we didn't sign him and we essentially threw away some solid prospects and McGinn for essentially Galiardi. I'm sure he knows that, but I also hope he talked to some of the "core" players here who have taken hometown discounts to give DW the ability to bring in fresh faces.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
For those who were penciling in Vokoun as a supposed Niemi replacement....

Earlier today, Washington traded Vokoun's rights to Pittsburgh for a 7th rounder. Pittsburgh then announced the signing of a 2 year, $2 million/yr deal for Vokoun.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Vokoun gets $2M per year on the two year deal.

I thought Vokoun said he was going to play for Lokomotiv?

Old
06-04-2012, 06:29 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
I thought Vokoun said he was going to play for Lokomotiv?
Maybe he's going to take a train to Pitt?

Old
06-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Chewing on a mouth piece makes you arrogant?
I should have put a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
You say yes to Galiardi because he's restricted and will only cost about 735k to qualify and likely sign. You also have to remember that when he was in Colorado, he was not utilized very well since that playoff series. He needs time to adjust to this system and these players. An entire off-season and training camp with this group and he will do better than what he showed here. Even veterans have problems with adjusting to teams from time to time. Winnik didn't adjust very well to the PK here. Now, that's not necessarily a slight on the player as it can be the system. Plus, Galiardi's only a few months older than McGinn. McGinn was able to turn his game around and from what I've seen from Galiardi, he can too.
Fair enough, from a financial POV. I don't buy the whole "not utilizing" a player properly. I know there's an affect for sure, but its not night and day.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:34 PM
jwhitesj

It would be nice to hear something from the orginization about what direction they think they need to go in. I understand that they like to keep quiet about everything, but they haven't said anything. It's like the Sharks orginiation is non existant right now. I understand the finals are still going on and nothing happens until the off season, but I'd atleast like them to come out and say what they thought was good and bad and what they would like to improve on as a hockey club. The only thing that has been said from the orginization is that they wern't happy with the PK. Well no ****, everyone allready knew that. In other words, it's been two months without any news. I need some Sharks news dammit.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
It would be nice to hear something from the orginization about what direction they think they need to go in. I understand that they like to keep quiet about everything, but they haven't said anything. It's like the Sharks orginiation is non existant right now. I understand the finals are still going on and nothing happens until the off season, but I'd atleast like them to come out and say what they thought was good and bad and what they would like to improve on as a hockey club. The only thing that has been said from the orginization is that they wern't happy with the PK. Well no ****, everyone allready knew that. In other words, it's been two months without any news. I need some Sharks news dammit.
If this board is any indication as to ticket renewals, the Sharks may have more to think about than usual. Initial payments were due last Friday. Maybe we'll hear something soon.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Old
06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Anything that DW gives to the media is information that he gives to all the other teams in the league. It's frustrating as a fan, but we have to understand that no info out of the Sharks organization is what's best for the team. If DW says nothing, it's best. Deal with it.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Southlake

Quote:
Well, they're waiting to see if the Kings win the cup so DW can announce which team he officially wants to copy for next year Normally, we only copy the team that beats us in the POs, but with the Blues swept, we need a new game plan.

Honestly though, I think it's because there's still so much in the air with the CBA, Phoenix maybe sale, etc. I imagine DW is working to solidify our coaching staff and we'll move from there. Wouldn't be too surprised if he's working every angle and kicking the tires as teams fall out of the playoffs.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
The front office is keeping all happenings signing wise quiet. I'm a bit tired of it, but what do I know.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:35 PM
The McMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Anything that DW gives to the media is information that he gives to all the other teams in the league. It's frustrating as a fan, but we have to understand that no info out of the Sharks organization is what's best for the team. If DW says nothing, it's best. Deal with it.
The first question that pops into my head would be the following:

Given that the Kings are on the cusp of a cup title, and will pretty much be rolling the same team for the next 3-4 years at minimum - do you want to compete with that or do you want to take the time to rebuild?

Earlier in the offseason I would've said keep most the team and try to fill in where you can. Now I'm not so sure. I'm a little more willing to accept a couple terrible years - whether or not the majority of the fan base will stick around through that is unknown.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Matt Pelech.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:19 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

I'm down with a rebuild. It'd be obnoxious to try to seriously compete with that stupid Kings team.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:28 PM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

San Jose's Goalie situation.

What should the sharks do next year regarding goalies. Should we trade Niemi away and give an AHL goalie a chance? Is Stalock ready?

Old
06-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
They can keep Niemi if they actually use him and Greiss right by giving Greiss more starts and giving Niemi more rest. The coaching staff hasn't yet shown that they're capable of limiting Niemi as much as he really needs.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:36 PM
sharski

keep both unless another team demands Niemi as part of a trade (unlikely, but you never know)

if I'm DW, I'm telling TMac to schedule a roughly 52/30 game split for Nemo/Greiss, and to at least consider the possibility that Greiss could become the starter if he outplays Nemo over an extended length of games

Old
06-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Kitten Mittons

Niemi can play all 82 games, remember?

Old
06-04-2012, 11:41 PM
WTFetus

I'm a pretty big Niemi supporter, but I wouldn't mind going into the season with Greiss and Stalock. Don't actively shop Niemi, but if a good offer came up, I'd consider it.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:41 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'm a pretty big Niemi supporter, but I wouldn't mind going into the season with Greiss and Stalock. Don't actively shop Niemi, but if a good offer came up, I'd consider it.
Basically this.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:48 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Well, Griess is the most NHL proven, not sure of Stalock, etc are seasoned and or ready at this point so i'd say Nemo is the man. I'll agree with others the Griess/backup needs to get more games. We need to see if Stalock can plan in the NHL this season, he needs 5-6 games.

I think one or two of our prospect goalies should be packaged and delt in the off season. We clearly have a surplus of assets here at this position.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:50 PM
The McMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm down with a rebuild. It'd be obnoxious to try to seriously compete with that stupid Kings team.
I think a staggered rebuild may be the way to go... just in case something ends up clicking or they get a fortunate signing (Suter).

Move everyone you can during the draft without fully gutting the team - this would be all the easy trade bait most here have been throwing out (Clowe, Murray, etc). If the team is out of playoff position by the trade deadline next year, it's open season on just about everyone else. If Gaustad fetched a first last season at the deadline, think what a Marleau or Pavelski might bring back.

At least that won't scare off any potential UFAs before July 1, in the small chances DW can land whoever.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Can HaZ Trainz
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Well, Griess is the most NHL proven, not sure of Stalock, etc are seasoned and or ready at this point so i'd say Nemo is the man. I'll agree with others the Griess/backup needs to get more games. We need to see if Stalock can plan in the NHL this season, he needs 5-6 games.

I think one or two of our prospect goalies should be packaged and delt in the off season. We clearly have a surplus of assets here at this position.
Trading away prospects is the norm right now for the Sharks but it would really sting to see Stalock, Sexsmith, or Sateri go to another team and become a franchise player A risk every team takes when trading a prospect, I know, but the Sharks have a good batch of young goalies.

Closed Thread