HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It is Boyling this time of year. (Offseason Speculation Thread Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 02:43 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
What about Boyle to Tampa for Connolly and Det 1st?

Connolly is what Thornton needs. A winger that has the knack for scoring. Cheechoo had this. Heatley somewhat did. Pavelski doesnt. He's a good player, because of how versitile he is. He isnt a 100% scorer like Connolly would be.

Would Tampa do this is the question? Id add #55 from our side if more value was needed.
Tampa wouldn't do it because I would pretty easily.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
WantonAbandon

vCash: 500
Quote:
What about Boyle to Tampa for Connolly and Det 1st?

Connolly is what Thornton needs. A winger that has the knack for scoring. Cheechoo had this. Heatley somewhat did. Pavelski doesnt. He's a good player, because of how versitile he is. He isnt a 100% scorer like Connolly would be.

Would Tampa do this is the question? Id add #55 from our side if more value was needed.
They might, but why not trade Boyle to Philly, might be on Boyle's list? Get JVR and and a pick/prospects. You are going to have to get some salary in return for Boyle anyway. This way you at least upgrade the teams speed.

Also Pavs scored 31 goals and had over 60 points. What do you mean he doesn't have a knack for scoring? Does Couture and Marleau not have a knack for scoring? How about Hossa or Gaborik? Zetteburg?

Old
06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Didn't Chicago basically win with defense and depth.
no they won by spending 5million more dollars than everyone else was allowed to

Old
06-14-2012, 02:57 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
They might, but why not trade Boyle to Philly, might be on Boyle's list? Get JVR and and a pick/prospects. You are going to have to get some salary in return for Boyle anyway. This way you at least upgrade the teams speed.

Also Pavs scored 31 goals and had over 60 points. What do you mean he doesn't have a knack for scoring? Does Couture and Marleau not have a knack for scoring? How about Hossa or Gaborik? Zetteburg?
Couture has a nack for scoring goals. The others don't. They're all excellent hockey players and can all score, but by having a knack for scoring i mean ALWAYS in the right spot to put the puck in. Connolly has it, Cheechoo had it.

JVR id love, but i dont think Philly would trade him for Boyle.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:00 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Doughty was norris caliber for the playoffs, but fell well short of it during the year. No question of that.
Thanks. I forgot to add that. A lot like Keith during the year, big falloff from previous seasons.

I have a suspicion that despite their strength on paper and their playoff performance that they could fall off to their reg season performance or worse next year. The suspicion has nothing to do with their strength on paper and a lot to do with parallels to the Ducks of a few years ago.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:03 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
I think Quick was more than Vezina caliber all year. Doughty was Norris caliber down the stretch and throughout the playoffs. Agree that scoring depth was there too.

Going back to the original "defense wins championships" idea, if you could only have two of the points, which would they be. I'd be inclined to say that a Vezina goalie and a Norris defender give you a better shot of winning than any other combination. So in some regard, it does seem that defense (blueline + goaltending) might have the edge.
It balances out with my half point for scoring depth, but I would generally agree. The guy who went with the three point system, formulated it during the dead puck era. Until the last two years, offense held the upper hand for about 1/2 decade.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:34 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Thanks. I forgot to add that. A lot like Keith during the year, big falloff from previous seasons.

I have a suspicion that despite their strength on paper and their playoff performance that they could fall off to their reg season performance or worse next year. The suspicion has nothing to do with their strength on paper and a lot to do with parallels to the Ducks of a few years ago.
The ducks were carried by the RPG line being by far the best in the game, along with Nieds and Pronger on the backend. The RPG line wasnt able to dominate the entire regular season like they did the playoffs. The Kings have 2 well balanced scoring lines, as well as 2 very solid D pairings, not to mention an all star goalie.

I see the Kings as more of a Bruins team, where they win when they shouldn't of because of goaltending, finish high in the conferance, but get bounced early in 2013. To a team that has choking problems

Old
06-14-2012, 04:22 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
The ducks were carried by the RPG line being by far the best in the game, along with Nieds and Pronger on the backend. The RPG line wasnt able to dominate the entire regular season like they did the playoffs. The Kings have 2 well balanced scoring lines, as well as 2 very solid D pairings, not to mention an all star goalie.

I see the Kings as more of a Bruins team, where they win when they shouldn't of because of goaltending, finish high in the conferance, but get bounced early in 2013. To a team that has choking problems
The parallels aren't on paper. Behavioral.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:24 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Tampa needs to provide more to get Boyle. A later 1st, and a good but not top-notch prospect, just isn't enough.
If we get Suter first it's more than enough because we won't be taking big salary back. So we're essentially trading Boyle for enough cap room to sign Suter, Connolly, and a 1st which would be more than fine with me. A better deal may come up, but I wouldn't pass this one up either. We made basically the same trade to get him, but instead of the cap space we traded Carle for a younger, and better, version of Boyle.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:

I thought Ryan wasn't part of the cup team for the Ducks?

Old
06-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
This is a pretty cool site to see every team, every year and stats. Below is the link to the year the Ducks won the Cup.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/ANA/2007.html

Well, that was another in a long series of regrettable life choices
Old
06-14-2012, 05:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Yeah, it was Penner that completed the Kid Line.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:57 PM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
This is a pretty cool site to see every team, every year and stats. Below is the link to the year the Ducks won the Cup.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/ANA/2007.html
Yeah, so isn't the RPG line the Ryan Perry Getzlaf line. Unless I'm incredibly tired and just need a break I'm not seeing Bobby Ryan on that team, which was my question.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Yeah, so isn't the RPG line the Ryan Perry Getzlaf line. Unless I'm incredibly tired and just need a break I'm not seeing Bobby Ryan on that team, which was my question.
I wasn't "positive" either, so I just linked the site lol. But I believe you are correct.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:00 PM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
I wasn't "positive" either, so I just linked the site lol. But I believe you are correct.
Cool site - know of any site that separates primary from secondary assists?! That would help me out!

Old
06-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Cool site - know of any site that separates primary from secondary assists?! That would help me out!
I wish. That's one of the reasons I built that stats spreadsheet for the Sharks this season.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:19 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Tampa needs to provide more to get Boyle. A later 1st, and a good but not top-notch prospect, just isn't enough.
Think about what we acquired a younger Boyle for: a late-first, a middling prospect with attitude/work ethic issues, and a player who had what some considered to be an albatross of a contract.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:25 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I wish. That's one of the reasons I built that stats spreadsheet for the Sharks this season.
behindthenet does that.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:26 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Think about what we acquired a younger Boyle for: a late-first, a middling prospect with attitude/work ethic issues, and a player who had what some considered to be an albatross of a contract.
Very different situation. They basically dumped him and had zero leverage because Boyle said "Fine, I'll accept a trade to San Jose, that's it".

If we shop boyle, sans NMC, we'll get a bidding war, to some degree.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:30 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Very different situation. They basically dumped him and had zero leverage because Boyle said "Fine, I'll accept a trade to San Jose, that's it".
I thought they were threatening to waive him, gave him a list, and he chose San Jose. If he was waived, he'd go to a bottom feeder. In this case, it seems like Boyle was the one with hardly any leverage.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I thought it was Kuntiz

Old
06-14-2012, 07:39 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I thought they were threatening to waive him, gave him a list, and he chose San Jose. If he was waived, he'd go to a bottom feeder. In this case, it seems like Boyle was the one with hardly any leverage.
I don't remember the thing about the list, I remember him basically saying "I will agree to be traded if you trade me to San Jose". Either way I don't see how Tampa has any real leverage, which is why they got a garbage return.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:53 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I thought it was Kuntiz
I'm fairly certain that it was Penner. Besides that, Kunitz was 27, so it wouldn't be much of a "kid" line.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Correct. And he was very upset.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:59 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
oops haha, knew the top line carried them, and i just assumed RPG as getzlaf and perry were on that line.

thats embarassing

Closed Thread