HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It is Boyling this time of year. (Offseason Speculation Thread Part IV)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2012, 02:43 PM
  #851
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,900
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
What about Boyle to Tampa for Connolly and Det 1st?

Connolly is what Thornton needs. A winger that has the knack for scoring. Cheechoo had this. Heatley somewhat did. Pavelski doesnt. He's a good player, because of how versitile he is. He isnt a 100% scorer like Connolly would be.

Would Tampa do this is the question? Id add #55 from our side if more value was needed.
Tampa wouldn't do it because I would pretty easily.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
  #852
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
What about Boyle to Tampa for Connolly and Det 1st?

Connolly is what Thornton needs. A winger that has the knack for scoring. Cheechoo had this. Heatley somewhat did. Pavelski doesnt. He's a good player, because of how versitile he is. He isnt a 100% scorer like Connolly would be.

Would Tampa do this is the question? Id add #55 from our side if more value was needed.
They might, but why not trade Boyle to Philly, might be on Boyle's list? Get JVR and and a pick/prospects. You are going to have to get some salary in return for Boyle anyway. This way you at least upgrade the teams speed.

Also Pavs scored 31 goals and had over 60 points. What do you mean he doesn't have a knack for scoring? Does Couture and Marleau not have a knack for scoring? How about Hossa or Gaborik? Zetteburg?

WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
  #853
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Didn't Chicago basically win with defense and depth.
no they won by spending 5million more dollars than everyone else was allowed to

one2gamble is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:57 PM
  #854
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch
 
CommanderShepard15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
They might, but why not trade Boyle to Philly, might be on Boyle's list? Get JVR and and a pick/prospects. You are going to have to get some salary in return for Boyle anyway. This way you at least upgrade the teams speed.

Also Pavs scored 31 goals and had over 60 points. What do you mean he doesn't have a knack for scoring? Does Couture and Marleau not have a knack for scoring? How about Hossa or Gaborik? Zetteburg?
Couture has a nack for scoring goals. The others don't. They're all excellent hockey players and can all score, but by having a knack for scoring i mean ALWAYS in the right spot to put the puck in. Connolly has it, Cheechoo had it.

JVR id love, but i dont think Philly would trade him for Boyle.

CommanderShepard15 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 03:00 PM
  #855
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Doughty was norris caliber for the playoffs, but fell well short of it during the year. No question of that.
Thanks. I forgot to add that. A lot like Keith during the year, big falloff from previous seasons.

I have a suspicion that despite their strength on paper and their playoff performance that they could fall off to their reg season performance or worse next year. The suspicion has nothing to do with their strength on paper and a lot to do with parallels to the Ducks of a few years ago.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 03:03 PM
  #856
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
I think Quick was more than Vezina caliber all year. Doughty was Norris caliber down the stretch and throughout the playoffs. Agree that scoring depth was there too.

Going back to the original "defense wins championships" idea, if you could only have two of the points, which would they be. I'd be inclined to say that a Vezina goalie and a Norris defender give you a better shot of winning than any other combination. So in some regard, it does seem that defense (blueline + goaltending) might have the edge.
It balances out with my half point for scoring depth, but I would generally agree. The guy who went with the three point system, formulated it during the dead puck era. Until the last two years, offense held the upper hand for about 1/2 decade.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 03:34 PM
  #857
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch
 
CommanderShepard15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Thanks. I forgot to add that. A lot like Keith during the year, big falloff from previous seasons.

I have a suspicion that despite their strength on paper and their playoff performance that they could fall off to their reg season performance or worse next year. The suspicion has nothing to do with their strength on paper and a lot to do with parallels to the Ducks of a few years ago.
The ducks were carried by the RPG line being by far the best in the game, along with Nieds and Pronger on the backend. The RPG line wasnt able to dominate the entire regular season like they did the playoffs. The Kings have 2 well balanced scoring lines, as well as 2 very solid D pairings, not to mention an all star goalie.

I see the Kings as more of a Bruins team, where they win when they shouldn't of because of goaltending, finish high in the conferance, but get bounced early in 2013. To a team that has choking problems

CommanderShepard15 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 04:22 PM
  #858
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
The ducks were carried by the RPG line being by far the best in the game, along with Nieds and Pronger on the backend. The RPG line wasnt able to dominate the entire regular season like they did the playoffs. The Kings have 2 well balanced scoring lines, as well as 2 very solid D pairings, not to mention an all star goalie.

I see the Kings as more of a Bruins team, where they win when they shouldn't of because of goaltending, finish high in the conferance, but get bounced early in 2013. To a team that has choking problems
The parallels aren't on paper. Behavioral.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 05:24 PM
  #859
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser
 
SnarkAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Tampa needs to provide more to get Boyle. A later 1st, and a good but not top-notch prospect, just isn't enough.
If we get Suter first it's more than enough because we won't be taking big salary back. So we're essentially trading Boyle for enough cap room to sign Suter, Connolly, and a 1st which would be more than fine with me. A better deal may come up, but I wouldn't pass this one up either. We made basically the same trade to get him, but instead of the cap space we traded Carle for a younger, and better, version of Boyle.

SnarkAttack is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
  #860
The Architect
When weasels fly...
 
The Architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
The ducks were carried by the RPG line being by far the best in the game, along with Nieds and Pronger on the backend. The RPG line wasnt able to dominate the entire regular season like they did the playoffs. The Kings have 2 well balanced scoring lines, as well as 2 very solid D pairings, not to mention an all star goalie.

I see the Kings as more of a Bruins team, where they win when they shouldn't of because of goaltending, finish high in the conferance, but get bounced early in 2013. To a team that has choking problems
I thought Ryan wasn't part of the cup team for the Ducks?

The Architect is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 05:39 PM
  #861
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 39,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
I thought Ryan wasn't part of the cup team for the Ducks?
This is a pretty cool site to see every team, every year and stats. Below is the link to the year the Ducks won the Cup.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/ANA/2007.html

__________________

Well, that was another in a long series of regrettable life choices
Led Zappa is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 05:56 PM
  #862
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,900
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
I thought Ryan wasn't part of the cup team for the Ducks?
Yeah, it was Penner that completed the Kid Line.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 05:57 PM
  #863
The Architect
When weasels fly...
 
The Architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
This is a pretty cool site to see every team, every year and stats. Below is the link to the year the Ducks won the Cup.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/ANA/2007.html
Yeah, so isn't the RPG line the Ryan Perry Getzlaf line. Unless I'm incredibly tired and just need a break I'm not seeing Bobby Ryan on that team, which was my question.

The Architect is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 05:59 PM
  #864
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 39,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Yeah, so isn't the RPG line the Ryan Perry Getzlaf line. Unless I'm incredibly tired and just need a break I'm not seeing Bobby Ryan on that team, which was my question.
I wasn't "positive" either, so I just linked the site lol. But I believe you are correct.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 06:00 PM
  #865
The Architect
When weasels fly...
 
The Architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I wasn't "positive" either, so I just linked the site lol. But I believe you are correct.
Cool site - know of any site that separates primary from secondary assists?! That would help me out!

The Architect is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 06:01 PM
  #866
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 39,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Cool site - know of any site that separates primary from secondary assists?! That would help me out!
I wish. That's one of the reasons I built that stats spreadsheet for the Sharks this season.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 06:19 PM
  #867
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Tampa needs to provide more to get Boyle. A later 1st, and a good but not top-notch prospect, just isn't enough.
Think about what we acquired a younger Boyle for: a late-first, a middling prospect with attitude/work ethic issues, and a player who had what some considered to be an albatross of a contract.

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 06:25 PM
  #868
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I wish. That's one of the reasons I built that stats spreadsheet for the Sharks this season.
behindthenet does that.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 06:26 PM
  #869
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Think about what we acquired a younger Boyle for: a late-first, a middling prospect with attitude/work ethic issues, and a player who had what some considered to be an albatross of a contract.
Very different situation. They basically dumped him and had zero leverage because Boyle said "Fine, I'll accept a trade to San Jose, that's it".

If we shop boyle, sans NMC, we'll get a bidding war, to some degree.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 06:30 PM
  #870
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Very different situation. They basically dumped him and had zero leverage because Boyle said "Fine, I'll accept a trade to San Jose, that's it".
I thought they were threatening to waive him, gave him a list, and he chose San Jose. If he was waived, he'd go to a bottom feeder. In this case, it seems like Boyle was the one with hardly any leverage.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
  #871
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, it was Penner that completed the Kid Line.
I thought it was Kuntiz

WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 07:39 PM
  #872
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I thought they were threatening to waive him, gave him a list, and he chose San Jose. If he was waived, he'd go to a bottom feeder. In this case, it seems like Boyle was the one with hardly any leverage.
I don't remember the thing about the list, I remember him basically saying "I will agree to be traded if you trade me to San Jose". Either way I don't see how Tampa has any real leverage, which is why they got a garbage return.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 07:53 PM
  #873
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,900
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I thought it was Kuntiz
I'm fairly certain that it was Penner. Besides that, Kunitz was 27, so it wouldn't be much of a "kid" line.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
  #874
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 39,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I thought they were threatening to waive him, gave him a list, and he chose San Jose. If he was waived, he'd go to a bottom feeder. In this case, it seems like Boyle was the one with hardly any leverage.
Correct. And he was very upset.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 08:59 PM
  #875
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch
 
CommanderShepard15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, it was Penner that completed the Kid Line.
oops haha, knew the top line carried them, and i just assumed RPG as getzlaf and perry were on that line.

thats embarassing

CommanderShepard15 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.