HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

It is Boyling this time of year. (Offseason Speculation Thread Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'm a pretty big Niemi supporter, but I wouldn't mind going into the season with Greiss and Stalock. Don't actively shop Niemi, but if a good offer came up, I'd consider it.
This^^

Old
06-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Knowing DW he will probably be obnoxious and try to compete with the Kings. After all, we are basically the only team that can beat the Kings.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Knowing DW he will probably be obnoxious and try to compete with the Kings. After all, we are basically the only team that can beat the Kings.
The problem with the copycat strategy is that there are teams that make changes with the thought to beat the winners rather than be them.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The problem with the copycat strategy is that there are teams that make changes with the thought to beat the winners rather than be them.
Forgot to add the

Old
06-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

I miss that team. They were fast and physical. They also had great heart and soul guys on the bottom two lines.

We need energy guys on our bottom lines.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by The McMafia View Post
I think a staggered rebuild may be the way to go... just in case something ends up clicking or they get a fortunate signing (Suter).

Move everyone you can during the draft without fully gutting the team - this would be all the easy trade bait most here have been throwing out (Clowe, Murray, etc). If the team is out of playoff position by the trade deadline next year, it's open season on just about everyone else. If Gaustad fetched a first last season at the deadline, think what a Marleau or Pavelski might bring back.

At least that won't scare off any potential UFAs before July 1, in the small chances DW can land whoever.
I agree, of course. In no way do you completely blow it up. We're in the fortunate situation right now that we have enough valuable pieces under contract that I think we could rebuild without tanking. Maybe we don't move Clowe this off-season. Maybe we wait until the deadline. He'll be much more valuable than Gaustad was, especially to a team that needs another gritty top-6 forward. At least a first round pick and probably a good prospect.

I also propose trading this year's first for one next year or just drafting the BPA even if it's a defenseman and then flipping him for a better-suited pick next season, like the Rundblad-Tarasenko situation. Basically, load up on picks. Hell, if Johnny Oduya got what he got, Murray can get something decent at the deadline.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:08 AM
OrrNumber4

I don't think this Kings's team is really built to last.

Talent wise, they are set in goal and are deep in the middle. However, they have weakness on the wings. God knows that Penner isn't going to continue his playoff performance, and Brown is susceptible to an early decline. I like Kopitar and Richards, but throw in Carter's enigmaticity and I don't think it is the best core to have. The key will be if Lokotinov and Kitsyn can make an impact. Toffoli is a hundred-point scorer IIRC as well...

Their defense is great when Doughty is playing well, but it is absolutely miserable without it. The core is also aging, with only Doughty and Voyov as legit parts of their long-term core. Deslauries is a poor-mans Michael Vernace. I'm not sold on Fobert or Muzzin, and was very unimpressed by Hickey. Its very similar to the Sharks's defensive prospect core; a lot of potential with no one reaching it.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:13 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I don't think this Kings's team is really built to last.

Talent wise, they are set in goal and are deep in the middle. However, they have weakness on the wings. God knows that Penner isn't going to continue his playoff performance, and Brown is susceptible to an early decline. I like Kopitar and Richards, but throw in Carter's enigmaticity and I don't think it is the best core to have. The key will be if Lokotinov and Kitsyn can make an impact. Toffoli is a hundred-point scorer IIRC as well...

Their defense is great when Doughty is playing well, but it is absolutely miserable without it. The core is also aging, with only Doughty and Voyov as legit parts of their long-term core. Deslauries is a poor-mans Michael Vernace. I'm not sold on Fobert or Muzzin, and was very unimpressed by Hickey. Its very similar to the Sharks's defensive prospect core; a lot of potential with no one reaching it.
Well, there are two things that stand out to me about the Kings' future:

1. Willie Mitchell and Rob Scuderi aren't getting any younger. Those two guys are pretty ****ing damn good.

2. Quick is only being paid $2M this season. After next, he'll be a UFA and if they choose to sign him, I expect his contract to be around $6M per, although he could realistically ask for as much as Rinne got. Jonathan Bernier is not at all impressive. I can't believe he has more value around the league than a guy like Greiss, who's more proven and only two years older.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Phu

Tough one, Niemi is absolutely not good enough but I don't see a reasonable upgrade. We may have to shuffle through our prospects and hope for a miracle.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:20 AM
gonegonegone*

reveal that lombardi has been secretly working for us the entire time (firing him was just a ruse to get him into LA as a spy). then have him trade over the entire kings team with quick for our team.

wow can u imagine how good our team would be then?? quick w/ kopitar, williams, richards, carter :-o!

Old
06-05-2012, 01:26 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
Trade Niemi if the right offer comes along, even if he stays, give Greiss more starts. Kid has talent we didn't get to see much.

Old
06-05-2012, 03:33 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

For FA's, I'd like to see us target the following, with the *'s being the ones I'd most likely see us resigning.

I'd love to see us sign PA Parenteau but I think he will cost too much. I also feel the same about David Jones, except Parenteau is >>> Jones.
Hudler and Samuelsson are interesting. Hudler can play both RW and LW, Wings fans were quite pissed at him by end of last season, but I like this signing based on TMac and Hudler being familiar with our style of play. Say what you want about Samuelsson, but the guy shows up big time in the playoffs, and we need more of those types of players. Again, he is familiar with the Detroit/possession style of play. He can also play the point on the PP.

Also, Lee Stempniak I think would be an amazing signing, as I feel he is extremely under-rated and someone who could be amazing if paired with Winnik. I'd love to see a Winnik - Pavelski - Stempniak 3rd line shutdown role with a scoring touch. I'd give 2.5 to both Winnik and Stempniak.

- PA Parenteau
- Lee Stempniak*
- Daniel Winnik*
- David Jones
- Jiri Hudler (depending on team make-up)
- Mikael Samuelsson (depending on team make-up)
- Brad Stuart*

Old
06-05-2012, 04:36 AM
bproeder
The rich man's Bozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
And herein lies the problem with the Sharks. Before trying to copy Detroit, does anyone remember the Sharks trying to copy New Jersey? They always seem to try to build the team around some existing model instead of striving to beat that model.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:19 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Perhaps some larger changes must in the works moving forward. Why, Why on earth is it taking DW so long to provide an update on coaching and or players.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Perhaps some larger changes must in the works moving forward. Why, Why on earth is it taking DW so long to provide an update on coaching and or players.
I am leaning towards this as well. TMac and/or the assistants have received absolutely no vote of confidence from DW so far.

06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bproeder View Post
And herein lies the problem with the Sharks. Before trying to copy Detroit, does anyone remember the Sharks trying to copy New Jersey? They always seem to try to build the team around some existing model instead of striving to beat that model.
It's the Google approach to business. If you can't beat them, clone them. You'll always be a step behind that way. The other issue is that this year is different. Aside from good matchups early on, the Kings are here because of great goaltending and an aggressive PK and forecheck. That's something thats VERY difficult to solve in 1 off-season. Because not only are the Kings getting great goaltending, they are getting it ridiculously cheap which allows them to be stacked. We're not going to be able to get goaltending like that without giving up huge assets back.

We also don't know if the current team can adapt to the inevitable PK revamp when we have older legs on our team.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I am leaning towards this as well. TMac and/or the assistants have received absolutely no vote of confidence from DW so far.
I thought there was an article a couple weeks ago hinting that he was staying ... no? Even had some generic comments from DW.

Old
06-05-2012, 05:58 PM
thrillermiller89

Am I the only one who hates seeing Pavelski at RW instead of Center?

Old
06-05-2012, 06:26 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
I hate it. Last season he was creative, unselfish, and a serious force. This season he was Thornton's backboard. I want him back at center, except this time give Pavelski Marleau and Setoguchi and give Thornton Mitchell and Wellwood.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
I thought there was an article a couple weeks ago hinting that he was staying ... no? Even had some generic comments from DW.
Hinting is not the GM saying for sure they are all back for next season.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
I'm in this camp as well. Pavelski is such a natural center that I'd move him down to 2C and put Couture on Thornton's wing.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:40 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
Definitely want to see Pavs centering a line instead of RW. He is a much better playmaker than shooter and he needs to be taking more faceoffs. Best at faceoffs in the league besides Lord Toews IMO.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:48 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2134 View Post
I'm in this camp as well. Pavelski is such a natural center that I'd move him down to 2C and put Couture on Thornton's wing.
I'd much rather see Pavelski on the 3rd line C.

Marleau - Thornton - XXX
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Winnik - Pavs - Stempniak
Galiardi - Desi - Wingels

XXX = D. Jones, PA Parenteau, Jiri Hudler?

Old
06-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
I'd much rather see Pavelski on the 3rd line C.

Marleau - Thornton - XXX
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Winnik - Pavs - Stempniak
Galiardi - Desi - Wingels

XXX = D. Jones, PA Parenteau, Jiri Hudler?
As long Pavelski plays center and is taken off the wing I'll be stoked.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Definitely want to see Pavs centering a line instead of RW. He is a much better playmaker than shooter and he needs to be taking more faceoffs. Best at faceoffs in the league besides Lord Toews IMO.
He's about equally good at playmaking and sniping. He shifts depending on the abilities of his linemates. I too want him at center and think Couture is much more easily converted to wing. Besides, I consider Couture a sniper/garbage collector first. Faceoffs are icing on the cake for Pavs; he can still do those as a wing.

I don't want Pavs on third line unless the Sharks seriously commit to icing a scoring third line. No more half measures and that might leave Winnik out in the cold. An offensive third line will become even more necessary as the stars age.

Closed Thread