HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It is Boyling this time of year. (Offseason Speculation Thread Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

vCash: 500
What do you all think of this:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san...4&feedID=10290

Old
06-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Falco5

I would love to see Pavs centering a line but it doesn't currently fit with our team make up/philosophy. Pavelski and Thornton are our two players best suited to face top competition from other teams. Havlat and Clowe are best used against weaker (or smaller) opponents that are less of an offensive threat. Both Marleau and Couture are good enough defensively to play with either group.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:16 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Didn't they already try that with Mitchell-Thornton-Mcginn and it failed miserably?
Those two in particular didn't work, but that doesn't mean Galiardi and Wingels (an example, albeit a bad one) won't. We just have to find the right match.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:18 AM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I'd be interested, but not for anything near the supposed prices bandied around near the trade deadline. If he'd give us Nash while overpaying for Niemi I'd love Howson forever.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:02 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I'm voting Chris Stewart for spot XXX. Think it would be a great signing as I think he has loads of potential in the right system and has already shown prior to this season he can be a point per game guy and performs well in the playoffs.
Signing Chris Stewart requires paying more money and giving up draft pick(s) - again, something we can't afford to do.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:08 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Those two in particular didn't work, but that doesn't mean Galiardi and Wingels (an example, albeit a bad one) won't. We just have to find the right match.
But the fact that we can't think of anyone makes me question the idea. I'm not sure Thornton can handle 2 3rd/4th liners, but 1 Top-6 and 1 Bottom-6 should be okay. He did well with Desjardins, Winchester, Ferriero, and Vesce when the other forward was Heatley, Marleau, Couture, or Pavelski.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:14 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
he's a cheap RW who can score.... that's about it
... and can PK. And would be one of the better 3rd liners we've had in a long time.

Stempniak is also one of the more realistic potential FA signings out there compared to the Parise's, Doan's, D Jones', etc.

He can also fill top 6 forward role too.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:36 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
He's about equally good at playmaking and sniping. He shifts depending on the abilities of his linemates. I too want him at center and think Couture is much more easily converted to wing. Besides, I consider Couture a sniper/garbage collector first. Faceoffs are icing on the cake for Pavs; he can still do those as a wing.

I don't want Pavs on third line unless the Sharks seriously commit to icing a scoring third line. No more half measures and that might leave Winnik out in the cold. An offensive third line will become even more necessary as the stars age.
This is the closest I could come to a 3 scoring line team... I believe your point is that Winnik would NOT be a component of making up a '3 scoring line team' and therefore look elsewhere if that is the plan. The problem is that it is highly unlikely that we sign the FA's necessary to make a 3 scoring line team. I picked Hudler and Samuelsson based on the RW/TMac connection. I see us needing 2 new bonafide top 6 players(Jones, Hudler in this case) and one border line top 6 (Samuelsson in this case).

Of course there are others, but I'd be shocked if we signed Whitney for example.

FORWARDS
Jiri Hudler ($3.500m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / David Jones ($3.500m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.735m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.594m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.660m)
DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Brad Stuart ($2.750m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
Justin Braun ($1.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
BUYOUTS
Michal Handzus ($0.833m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,386,500; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $913,500

Old
06-06-2012, 04:00 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
But the fact that we can't think of anyone makes me question the idea. I'm not sure Thornton can handle 2 3rd/4th liners, but 1 Top-6 and 1 Bottom-6 should be okay. He did well with Desjardins, Winchester, Ferriero, and Vesce when the other forward was Heatley, Marleau, Couture, or Pavelski.
I can work with that too. Couture-JT-Galiardi might be something to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
This is the closest I could come to a 3 scoring line team... I believe your point is that Winnik would NOT be a component of making up a '3 scoring line team' and therefore look elsewhere if that is the plan. The problem is that it is highly unlikely that we sign the FA's necessary to make a 3 scoring line team. I picked Hudler and Samuelsson based on the RW/TMac connection. I see us needing 2 new bonafide top 6 players(Jones, Hudler in this case) and one border line top 6 (Samuelsson in this case).
In all of the rosterbations I've done this off-season so far, the only way I've managed to be able to roll three scoring lines is by trading one of (or both of) Clowe and Boyle for two forwards each (MacAurthur and Frattin or Dubinsky and Hagelin), and signing Jones (if trading Clowe) or Suter (if trading Boyle). But I think the most realistic option is Tommy Wingels. It may be a small sample size, but he has elite possession player written all over him. I was convinced that his high Corsi this season was a result of time spent in the top-6, but it was just more of the same in the playoffs with Desy and Winnik. He passes the eye-test too. I think Wingels can be an effective third liner on a scoring line next season; He'd basically be an upgrade on Mitchell from the Hellacopter line.

Old
06-06-2012, 05:05 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
I can work with that too. Couture-JT-Galiardi might be something to explore.

In all of the rosterbations I've done this off-season so far, the only way I've managed to be able to roll three scoring lines is by trading one of (or both of) Clowe and Boyle for two forwards each (MacAurthur and Frattin or Dubinsky and Hagelin), and signing Jones (if trading Clowe) or Suter (if trading Boyle). But I think the most realistic option is Tommy Wingels. It may be a small sample size, but he has elite possession player written all over him. I was convinced that his high Corsi this season was a result of time spent in the top-6, but it was just more of the same in the playoffs with Desy and Winnik. He passes the eye-test too. I think Wingels can be an effective third liner on a scoring line next season; He'd basically be an upgrade on Mitchell from the Hellacopter line.
I don't disagree that Wingels has potential, I just think it would be a mistake to rely on him being a dominant third liner. Sharks have always lacked depth. I'd rather see our 4th line be Galiardi - Desi - Wingels next year and have a 4th line that can actually produce and be played. Of course, this would require competent third line players to be acquired - I'd be happy simply resigning Winnik and signing Stempniak - two great PKers that take the load off the "stars" and who can score. Getting Jones is becoming more and more of a pipe dream with the way the FA list is going - and I've been pushing Jones for almost two years now. I thought he'd be a sleeper but as players are resigned more and more now and the pickings become increasingly slim I feel that he will be a hot commodity.

Old
06-06-2012, 08:39 AM
hockeyball

I'm still pretty confident the Sharks will trade for Nash, so with that in mind I would tend to work my rosters with that plan. Hopefully its for Niemi + Clowe+ or the like, not Pavelski, but that is what I expect.

Last edited by hockeyball: 06-06-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old
06-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
I don't remember exactly what it was, but I hate Clowe and Jumbo together. There's some reason.
Clowe tried to play the ” everything you can do I can do better” game against Thornton.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:06 AM
thrillermiller89

why not roll...

marleau-thornton-couture
clowe-pavelski-havlat

Old
06-06-2012, 10:10 AM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I'm still pretty confident the Sharks will trade for Nash, so with that in mind I would tend to work my rosters with that plan. Hopefully its for Niemi + Clowe+ or the like, not Pavelski, but that is what I expect.
if it's clowe and nemo for nash, then i'd expect to see the lines shake out like so...

couture-thornton-nash
marleau-pavelski-havlat

and I guess Greiss would be our starter... not sure who the back up would be... ppl keep mentioning Stalock although I'm not sure that's best.... At this point though, I dont care, I just want the Cup!!

Old
06-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
why not roll...

marleau-thornton-couture
clowe-pavelski-havlat
I would like more goals from the 2nd line. It really comes down to how Havlat performs for a whole season (which is another big concern).

06-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
if it's clowe and nemo for nash, then i'd expect to see the lines shake out like so...

couture-thornton-nash
marleau-pavelski-havlat

and I guess Greiss would be our starter... not sure who the back up would be... ppl keep mentioning Stalock although I'm not sure that's best.... At this point though, I dont care, I just want the Cup!!
The key to winning a cup as a California team is Dustin Penner. Sharks need to sign Pancakes.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:31 AM
hockeyball

Quote:

couture-thornton-nash
marleau-pavelski-havlat

Putting Couture on LW just feels like a bad idea to me. He's an extremely effective player at Center and should remain there, or at worst RW. He's still growing as a player, let's not complicate that by forcing him to learn a new position.

I think one of Thornton or Pavs has to go to get a properly balanced top-6. If Moore and Winnik are re-signed especially, as that doesn't even leave a place for Pavs on the 3rd line if so (and he doesn't really belong there anyway). While I admit Couture is not likely to be as good as Giroux, it is still a similar situation. We have an opportunity to move a #1 C, which have extremely high value, and improve the over-all depth of the team. If Thornton can be moved, I'd consider it.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:31 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
if you put wingels on the 3rd line now, no free agent top-9 forward will sign to play on the 4th line.

as long as he's paid like a 4th liner, he should stay as a 4th liner. it won't kill his development and it makes us a deeper team.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:34 AM
hockeyball

I honestly don't have a problem with our bottom-6 if we re-sign Moore and Winnik:

Winnik - Moore - Wingels
Galiardi - Desjardins - whoever

That's a pretty solid, fast, and balanced bottom-6. Everyone is defensively sound, scoring punch on both lines, lots of way to mix them up. Wingels, Moore and Galiardi can all potentially tween into the top-6 if needed.

Honestly, I'd leave the bottom-6 alone. I'd focus on a faster top-6, left side puck mover for the D, getting younger, and refilling the prospect pool.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:38 AM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
The key to winning a cup as a California team is Dustin Penner. Sharks need to sign Pancakes.
hahahahahaha

i think you're onto something here

Old
06-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post

get on this, DW

Old
06-06-2012, 10:43 AM
thrillermiller89

Trade Clowe, Demers, and our 1st for Nash... just because it seems like something DW would do

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.000m)
Kristian Huselius ($2.000m) / Michal Handzus ($2.500m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.735m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.594m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.660m)
James Sheppard ($0.761m) / Benn Ferriero ($0.666m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Matt Irwin ($0.715m) / Justin Braun ($0.688m)
Jim Vandermeer ($0.800m) /

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,857,417; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $942,583

Last edited by thrillermiller89: 06-06-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old
06-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Iron Chef

Mike Knuble announced that the Caps will not be bringing him back next season. 40 year old player with great leadership capability. You hear that sound? Its DW picking up the phone...

Old
06-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
He's about equally good at playmaking and sniping. He shifts depending on the abilities of his linemates. I too want him at center and think Couture is much more easily converted to wing. Besides, I consider Couture a sniper/garbage collector first. Faceoffs are icing on the cake for Pavs; he can still do those as a wing.

I don't want Pavs on third line unless the Sharks seriously commit to icing a scoring third line. No more half measures and that might leave Winnik out in the cold. An offensive third line will become even more necessary as the stars age.
I definitely want a 3rd scoring line. I am no good at rosters (this is my first one) but work is slow ..

I know Jones is kind of a reach but I also tried not to max out our cap. I tried to buy out Handzus but dont think it shows up here. Additionally, I did not want to reach for Stuart but re-signed Vandy instead.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Daniel Winnik ($2.500m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.735m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / David Jones ($2.500m)
Tommy Wingels ($0.660m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.594m) / James Sheppard ($0.761m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.667m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
Jim Vandermeer ($1.000m) / Matt Pelech ($0.578m)
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
BUYOUTS
(NaN)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,900,250; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,399,750

Old
06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Mike Knuble announced that the Caps will not be bringing him back next season. 40 year old player with great leadership capability. You hear that sound? Its DW picking up the phone...
And he has chemistry with Jumbo from years ago. He's basically a Shark already.

Closed Thread