HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Part XXVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Why does everyone want Murray? Theres a reason why he's available, he sucks.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Tape2Tape

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I doubt Murray needs any approval to kick the tires on any trade, however in the case of Nash if Howson made a proposal Murray liked, you can bet your last dollar Melnyk would be involved.
Exactly, and I'm seriously wondering if this is what has happened.

I just don't see Murray wasting his time on Nash if Melnyk hasn't already given the go ahead.

Given that the speculation is that we are the "new" team to these trade talks, something changed within the last few days that has us more involved now.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
Why does everyone want Murray? Theres a reason why he's available, he sucks.
Prior to last season, Murray was quite solid and easily a top-4 defenceman on the Sharks. He's big, physical, and defensively sound, although last year he struggled. He only has one year remaining on his contract at $2.5M, so he would be a cheap, short-term addition. I think he would fit in nicely in the 2nd or 3rd pairing or possibly even with Karlsson.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
To me, dealing Michalek in the Nash trade is somewhat of a lateral move. They are going to have similar production imo. We need to add to the top 6, not subtract from it.

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson
? - Turris - ?

That's out top 6 right now with the remaining spots to likely filled by Regin, Stone, Zbad, Silf etc...

Add in Nash and it looks a whole lot nicer.

Nash - Spezza - Michalek
Silfverberg - Turris - Alfie
Nash is way better than Michalek IMO, and doesn't have bad knees.

Silfverberg - Spezza - Nash
<gap here i traded Foligno> - Turris - Alfie.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:42 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Colin Greening - Jason Spezza - Rick Nash
Milan Michalek - Kyle Turris - Daniel Alfredsson
Nick Foligno - Peter Regin - Jakob Silfverberg

That's a menacing top-nine (although that means out Nash package would be all futures, which probably wouldn't work).

Old
06-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
To me, dealing Michalek in the Nash trade is somewhat of a lateral move. They are going to have similar production imo. We need to add to the top 6, not subtract from it.

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson
? - Turris - ?

That's out top 6 right now with the remaining spots to likely filled by Regin, Stone, Zbad, Silf etc...

Add in Nash and it looks a whole lot nicer.

Nash - Spezza - Michalek
Silfverberg - Turris - Alfie
While it WBN to improve the top six, it really isn't as important as upgrading the defence.

People need to remember the Sens of 2011-12 ended the year as the fifth highest scoring team in the NHL, while finishing 24th in goals against.

So while Nash would be an interesting add, if it cost Michalek and Foligno off the current roster it would be a step back offensively and would leave few viable trade assets to fix the defence.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape2Tape View Post
Exactly, and I'm seriously wondering if this is what has happened.

I just don't see Murray wasting his time on Nash if Melnyk hasn't already given the go ahead.

Given that the speculation is that we are the "new" team to these trade talks, something changed within the last few days that has us more involved now.
I don't think Ottawa is new to these talks, remember it was Rimer who said Boston was going to make a significant offer that never materialized, now its back to the Rangers leading the way.

GMs are always going to talk. However talking is a far cry from making a deal, look at it more like information sharing that may lead to something else.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:52 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Yeah, I like speculating about Nash because it's fun, but count me on board as using our assets on a defenceman (Hjalmarsson, Garrison, Allen, Suter, ect).

Old
06-18-2012, 02:26 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Yeah, I like speculating about Nash because it's fun, but count me on board as using our assets on a defenceman (Hjalmarsson, Garrison, Allen, Suter, ect).
Bryan Allen is a UFA, it would not take any assets to acquire him, Ottawa would just have to give him the best offer & hope he signs with us. Douglas Murray would cost us assets where Allen would not. Suter IMO will sign either back in Nashville or Detroit, not Ottawa. Garrison has already said he would like to re-sign in Florida but if that does not work out Vancouver. Chicago could be shopping Hjalmarsson around & Murray could be interested but I would not include Z. Smith in any trade for another soft Swede.

Ottawa has Boroweicki who most think is NHL ready & should be given an opportunity & if Murray does not re-sign Gilroy than I think he is looking for a defenceman who shoots right.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Still would be willing to trade Stone for an established defenseman.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:35 PM
dan1el

Please, for the love of god, no Nash. We're one year removed from being a lottery team, and I don't really want to stop the rebuild just so we can have a better line-up right now. Keep the prospects, keep building with what we have, and if we're going to make a trade, lets make it for guys who aren't 29 already?

I really hope we don't land Nash.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Iamok
#Panic

I'm just glad we've moved on from collecting draft picks to trying to acquire established young talents. Feels good.

Still no to Nash though.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:37 PM
mcnorth

Wait. We're only supposed to post proposals and ideas when we want it 100%?

Damn. I'd have 10 posts if that was what we're supposed to do.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Jamie McBain in a trade perhaps?

Old
06-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Lenny the Lynx

These are the biggest trades I can think of in the past 5 years or so - trying to be objective about what the value of the prospects at the time the deal was made. Obviously some of them are apples and oranges, but for what its worth:

- Richards for young roster player (Simmonds), top prospect (Schenn), 2nd
- Kessel for 2 1sts and a 2nd
- Carter for young roster player (Voracek), 1st, 3rd
- Carter for very solid young d-man (Johnson), 1st
- Kovalchuk + 2nd for promising rookie (Bergfors), depth d-man (Oduya), lower tier prospect (Cormier), 1st + 2nd
- Hossa + Dupuis for young roster player (Armstrong), bottom six guy (Christensen), fading prospect (Esposito), 1st

I'm probably missing some but that's what I can think of right now.

If the asking price is indeed 2 roster players and 2 top prospects, I think that would make for the biggest return in recent history for any player. I think Nash is a good player but I don't really know if he's that good, especially considering his $7.8M cap hit. My point being that I think trade value tops out at a certain point - there's only so much teams can offer for one player

Old
06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Hossa and Kovalchuk were rentals. Completely different situation. Knock those two off and that list looks completely different.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Ottawa Hockey Fan

Does know one else see at least a slight resemblance between this and the Heatley saga a couple years back here. We didn't exactly get the best return for Heatley and I would say our management is considerably better than Columbus'.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
The asking price is ridiculous. Howson wants 4 good pieces. I'd bet that eventually, the price will come down to 2 good pieces and a pick, and that's when sather will pull the trigger.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:09 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
These are the biggest trades I can think of in the past 5 years or so - trying to be objective about what the value of the prospects at the time the deal was made. Obviously some of them are apples and oranges, but for what its worth:

- Richards for young roster player (Simmonds), top prospect (Schenn), 2nd
- Kessel for 2 1sts and a 2nd
- Carter for young roster player (Voracek), 1st, 3rd
- Carter for very solid young d-man (Johnson), 1st
- Kovalchuk + 2nd for promising rookie (Bergfors), depth d-man (Oduya), lower tier prospect (Cormier), 1st + 2nd
- Hossa + Dupuis for young roster player (Armstrong), bottom six guy (Christensen), fading prospect (Esposito), 1st

I'm probably missing some but that's what I can think of right now.

If the asking price is indeed 2 roster players and 2 top prospects, I think that would make for the biggest return in recent history for any player. I think Nash is a good player but I don't really know if he's that good, especially considering his $7.8M cap hit. My point being that I think trade value tops out at a certain point - there's only so much teams can offer for one player
Which is why a deal never got done at the deadline. It kinda doesn't really matter what Columbus is asking if the rest of the league isn't willing to pay it. Really, it comes down to what CLB will take, not what they'll ask.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:10 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Hockey Fan View Post
Does know one else see at least a slight resemblance between this and the Heatley saga a couple years back here. We didn't exactly get the best return for Heatley and I would say our management is considerably better than Columbus'.
It depends how Nash plays this if he gives them a list of 5 teams and says trade me the return will not be good if he says i i does not matter if i am traded or not then the return will be much higher.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

The difference between Nash and Heatley is no one figures Nash will piss in the Jackets collective Cheerios if he isn't traded by opening day. Howson still has at least the illusion of not having his back against the wall.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:11 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Hockey Fan View Post
Well, Nash isn't quite forcing them at this point. He may though.

And when he does, let's sign Leclaire and Filatov and send those guys back as part of the package.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:12 PM
dan1el

Anyone interested in a Rundblad-like trade at the 2010 draft to try and land Brendan Gormley, from Phoenix? I think it would cost us a bit more but it would be worth it.

15th + Noesen for Gormley + 27th?

I think we might need to add but it's a start.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
Anyone interested in a Rundblad-like trade at the 2010 draft to try and land Brendan Gormley, from Phoenix? I think it would cost us a bit more but it would be worth it.

15th + Noesen for Gormley + 27th?

I think we might need to add but it's a start.
I'd rather draft a Dman at 15 and keep Noesen. It's a decent 1st rd for D this year, giving up our first this year, when D will likely be BPA also, is tough.

Interesting idea, though.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

We need a defenseman tomorrow. Not next year. As talented as they may be, throwing 3+ rookies out there for a hopeful playoff team probobly isn't a good idea.

Closed Thread