HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Part XXVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 07:26 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Knew that was coming, just thought itd be from him .

But does no one else remember how well he played?
I left the country when Foligno had played 64 games. Games 83-89 I was able to stream. In the 71 games I watched, I'd say I saw Foligno preform like a bona-fide, no doubt about it top 6er at least 45ish games. He doesn't have the consistency to be the best or 2nd best player on a 2nd line (as he was for about 1/3rd-1/2 of the games he played) but he was still one of the few players who even broached or approached that territory. He was a solid #6 on almost any team and an ok number 5 on several.

Anaheim- 5th easily
Boston- 6th or 7th
Buffalo- 4th in scoring, outperformed Roy and Hodgson, outscored Ennis. To be miles less than biased I'll place him 7th.
Calgary- 5th
Carolina- 2nd
Chicago- 5th easily
Colorado-4th easily... 8 pts off of 1st
Columbus- 3rd easily
Dallas- 5th by a long shot
Detroit- 6th by a long shot, and I'd rather Foligno's extra 150 hits over Hudlers 3 extra pts
Edmonton- 4th
Florida- 4th by a huge margin
LAK- 6th despite outscoring #4 and # 5 (Richards and Carter)
Minnesota- 2nd by a long shot, lets bump him to 3rd due to Koivu
Montreal- 5th by almost 2x the next guy
Nashville- 4th
New Jersey- 6th
Islanders- 5th, Neilsen given favoritism due to C position
Rangers- 5th easily
Senators- 4th in scoring but we'll place him 5th
Philly- 8th
Phoenix- easy 4th
Pittsburgh- 6th
San Jose- 6th
St Louis- Easily 4th
Tampa- 5th or 6th by far
Toronto- 4th
Vancouver- 5th
Washington- 4th (3rd in scoring)
Winnipeg- 4th

Mean position: 4.87
Mean position amongst non-playoff teams: 4.14
Mean position amongst playoff teams: 5.5
Mean position amongst 1st rnd exits: 5.375
Mean position amongst 2nd rnd exits: 5
Mean position amongst 3rd rnd exits: 4.5
Mean position amongst teams in finals: 6th
Teams with Foligno better than #6: 21
Teams with Foligno @ 6: 6
Teams with Foligno < 6: 3

This pretty much solidifies it. He's at worst an above average #6 on a playoff team. He is arguably a #5 fwd around the league. He was a #5 for us this year.
This is my opinion from watching approx 70 Sens games, a similar and likely larger amount around the league, as well as from scourging the stats.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:11 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
I left the country when Foligno had played 64 games. Games 83-89 I was able to stream. In the 71 games I watched, I'd say I saw Foligno preform like a bona-fide, no doubt about it top 6er at least 45ish games. He doesn't have the consistency to be the best or 2nd best player on a 2nd line (as he was for about 1/3rd-1/2 of the games he played) but he was still one of the few players who even broached or approached that territory. He was a solid #6 on almost any team and an ok number 5 on several.

Anaheim- 5th easily
Boston- 6th or 7th
Buffalo- 4th in scoring, outperformed Roy and Hodgson, outscored Ennis. To be miles less than biased I'll place him 7th.
Calgary- 5th
Carolina- 2nd
Chicago- 5th easily
Columbus- 3rd easily
Detroit- 6th by a long shot, and I'd rather Foligno's extra 150 hits over Hudlers 3 extra pts
Edmonton- 4th
Nashville- 4th
New Jersey- 6th
Rangers- 5th easily
Philly- 8th
Phoenix- easy 4th
Pittsburgh- 6th
San Jose- 6th
St Louis- Easily 4th
Tampa- 5th or 6th by far
Toronto- 4th
Vancouver- 5th
Winnipeg- 4th

This pretty much solidifies it. He's at worst an above average #6 on a playoff team. He is arguably a #5 fwd around the league. He was a #5 for us this year.
This is my opinion from watching approx 70 Sens games, a similar and likely larger amount around the league, as well as from scourging the stats.
Can someone archive/sticky this bad boy? Needs to be seen by all.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:

Anaheim- 5th easily
Boston- 6th or 7th
Calgary- 5th
Carolina- 2nd
Chicago- 5th easily
Columbus- 3rd easily
Edmonton- 4th
Nashville- 4th
New Jersey- 6th
Rangers- 5th easily
Philly- 8th
Phoenix- easy 4th
Pittsburgh- 6th
San Jose- 6th
St Louis- Easily 4th
Tampa- 5th or 6th by far
Toronto- 4th
Vancouver- 5th
Winnipeg- 4th

While I don't think all your "rankings" are accurate, Foligno is a fringe 2nd-line / solid 3rd-line forward. He's too inconsistent offensively, and he doesn't score enough for a 2nd-line winger, which is imperative since he's not a great playmaker. This was also his first year where he cracked the 40-point barrier, but most of his points were a result of assists as oppose to goals. It would be interesting to see how many of Foligno's assists were the primary helper versus the secondary one.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:21 AM
wilfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
I think he played great all year personally. He seems to be growing as a player. I think people just want to see him always play with his higher end talent he shows, but hrs not going to be a first line player so I'm not sure why a lot of send fans think more points or bust.

If he stays in the 40 to 45 point range from here on out I think it's fine you always wanna see more from a guy like that but the way he plays the game is something we need. Trading him would be a mistake IMO.
IMO a statement like "trading him would be a mistake" is wrong when you don't know what the return might be.

I certainly think that Foligno is worth more than a mid to late first round pick. I think a trade for a young top 4 d-man or with a package for a superstar could be a good move.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
IMO a statement like "trading him would be a mistake" is wrong when you don't know what the return might be.

I certainly think that Foligno is worth more than a mid to late first round pick. I think a trade for a young top 4 d-man or with a package for a superstar could be a good move.
Would you do (if he wanted to be an NHL player) ?????

Ott: Radulov
Nas: Foligno

Old
06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
While I don't think all your "rankings" are accurate, Foligno is a fringe 2nd-line / solid 3rd-line forward. He's too inconsistent offensively, and he doesn't score enough for a 2nd-line winger, which is imperative since he's not a great playmaker. This was also his first year where he cracked the 40-point barrier, but most of his points were a result of assists as oppose to goals. It would be interesting to see how many of Foligno's assists were the primary helper versus the secondary one.
A 45 pts player will be very inconsistent:

at 41pts, it's 1 pt every 2nd game even lower if you remove the multiple pts games

Old
06-07-2012, 09:33 AM
wilfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post

It would depend on several factors but if Radulov was commited to be a Senator I would make that deal.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:

No thanks

Old
06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
God Says No

again i ask, if you trade foligno who do you replace him with in our organization? he brings many facets that i don't see anyone else currently bringing all at once.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
SNAPshot

Quote:

Anaheim- 5th easily
Boston- 6th or 7th
Calgary- 5th
Carolina- 2nd
Chicago- 5th easily
Columbus- 3rd easily
Edmonton- 4th
Nashville- 4th
New Jersey- 6th
Rangers- 5th easily
Philly- 8th
Phoenix- easy 4th
Pittsburgh- 6th
San Jose- 6th
St Louis- Easily 4th
Tampa- 5th or 6th by far
Toronto- 4th
Vancouver- 5th
Winnipeg- 4th

Well done kind sir, I tip my hat to you.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:31 AM
SNAPshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
again i ask, if you trade foligno who do you replace him with in our organization? he brings many facets that i don't see anyone else currently bringing all at once.
That's my view. Regin can probably match production and Z. Smith in pest-abilities, but no one has the same elements that make him effective.

I get that people are bored, but energy would be better spent discussing an actual issue.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
No one can replace him right away, but Noesen seems like he is cut from the same cloth as Foligno, and may even have better offensive instincts.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:

Have you watched the playoffs? You think PETR ****ING SYKORA is playing better than Nick Foligno? LAWL. Poni? Not as good. Zubrus is a very good center comparison.

Gagne on LA? Are you ****ing kidding me? Where are the Prank cameras? We're not in 2007 dude. Unless you repeatedly watch Penner's OT winner, Foligno > Penner.

If Foligno is on a 3rd line, you're not a contender, you're a Cup Favourite (which, you may have noticed, NJ and LA would be atm). Foligno can certainly be a #6 on a cup winning team. #7? Sure. Still can be a #6 on a CONTENDER (meaning someone who has a decent shot at the cup).
See, when I said 'contender' I meant what you'd call a 'Cup favourite'

06-07-2012, 10:43 AM
operasen

Quote:

Anaheim- 5th easily
Boston- 6th or 7th
Calgary- 5th
Carolina- 2nd
Chicago- 5th easily
Columbus- 3rd easily
Edmonton- 4th
Nashville- 4th
New Jersey- 6th
Rangers- 5th easily
Philly- 8th
Phoenix- easy 4th
Pittsburgh- 6th
San Jose- 6th
St Louis- Easily 4th
Tampa- 5th or 6th by far
Toronto- 4th
Vancouver- 5th
Winnipeg- 4th

Tremendous effort here. Thank You.

For me the deal with Foligno being traded is about the return. IF he was to go he would garner the upgrade on defense, or be part of the package for a top 3 sniper (Nash type), that Murray has said he needs.

We will not be trading Alfredsson, Spezza or Turris and I doubt we'd deal Michalek. Other than the prospects (Silfverberg, Stone, Zibanejad, etc) Foligno gets us the biggest return.

He's a 2nd line player on the 3rd line here, lower than where he could be (see Mike Fisher). In a different system where there is space for him (He will not be bumping Michalek or Silfverberg for Top 6 LW, maybe Greening) he will do much better.

If he brings us Nash for say our 1st, Foligno, DaCosta and 2013 2nd type of deal I say Thank You.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:

Have you watched the playoffs? You think PETR ****ING SYKORA is playing better than Nick Foligno? LAWL. Poni? Not as good. Zubrus is a very good center comparison.

Gagne on LA? Are you ****ing kidding me? Where are the Prank cameras? We're not in 2007 dude. Unless you repeatedly watch Penner's OT winner, Foligno > Penner.

If Foligno is on a 3rd line, you're not a contender, you're a Cup Favourite (which, you may have noticed, NJ and LA would be atm). Foligno can certainly be a #6 on a cup winning team. #7? Sure. Still can be a #6 on a CONTENDER (meaning someone who has a decent shot at the cup).
So why are the Senators not playing anymore?

Old
06-07-2012, 11:30 AM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 569
Quote:

Assuming Radulov is committed to being in the NHL and is already signed to a fair contract - yes.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Tim Peel.

kidding.

sorta.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
One man can only do so much.

- Michalek invisible
- Karlsson no production
- Spezza no compete level
- changing winning lineup
- Keeping Silf in the lineup after he did nothing
- Playing Gilroy

Old
06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
A 45 pts player will be very inconsistent:

at 41pts, it's 1 pt every 2nd game even lower if you remove the multiple pts games
It's not just production, but effort. There were too many occasions this year where he was a non-factor. Teams also cannot afford their 2nd-line wingers to have multiple, long stretches without a goal. For instance, 9 of his 15 goals came within a 17-game stretch at the end of December to end of January. In the other 65 games, he scored 6 goals and he had stretches of 9, 19, and 8 games without scoring a goal.

I think Foligno is a solid, role player that any team could use. If he could develop into a solid penalty killer, his importance would increase. I think it's possible that he could develop into a unquestionable top-6 forward like Curtis Glencross, but he isn't quite there yet.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:

Anaheim- 5th easily
Boston- 6th or 7th
Calgary- 5th
Carolina- 2nd
Chicago- 5th easily
Columbus- 3rd easily
Edmonton- 4th
Nashville- 4th
New Jersey- 6th
Rangers- 5th easily
Philly- 8th
Phoenix- easy 4th
Pittsburgh- 6th
San Jose- 6th
St Louis- Easily 4th
Tampa- 5th or 6th by far
Toronto- 4th
Vancouver- 5th
Winnipeg- 4th

Marry me?

Thank you for quantifying all the opinions I've expressed in the past pages.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:47 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
It's not just production, but effort. There were too many occasions this year where he was a non-factor. Teams also cannot afford their 2nd-line wingers to have multiple, long stretches without a goal. For instance, 9 of his 15 goals came within a 17-game stretch at the end of December to end of January. In the other 65 games, he scored 6 goals and he had stretches of 9, 19, and 8 games without scoring a goal.

I think Foligno is a solid, role player that any team could use. If he could develop into a solid penalty killer, his importance would increase. I think it's possible that he could develop into a unquestionable top-6 forward like Curtis Glencross, but he isn't quite there yet.

Consistency? this is not that simple to answer. Who did he play with when he wasn't scoring goal? He wasn't on the 2nd line all season, he got demoted a few times. Was it for his lack of scoring, focus, effort or maybe because he gets confused in the role he is supposed to play with the Sens.

I think under Clouston, his development stagnated because he was made to believe he was a finesse player.

McLean got him back on the right track.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
One man can only do so much.

- Michalek invisible
- Karlsson no production
- Spezza no compete level
- changing winning lineup
- Keeping Silf in the lineup after he did nothing
- Playing Gilroy
how about, the rangers were a better team and played superior team defence.
there is another team on the ice.

also Spezza's compete level?? complain about the results, complain that he strayed or was forced from the game that made him great this year. But GTFO calling out his 'compete level'.
the guy worked hard every game.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:17 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
No one can replace him right away, but Noesen seems like he is cut from the same cloth as Foligno, and may even have better offensive instincts.
yeah, or he might be a career ahl'er. who knows. every team needs role players, and we have a role player who can step into top 6 role. i don't understand why we are in a hurry to ship him out.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:33 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
He was 110th in forward scoring... 30 teams with 6 top 6 forwards = 180. Now please tell me how in the ****ing world he dosn't score enough for a 2nd line winger. Do your research before sprouting obvious ********. The guy scored 3.. 3! less points then Shane Doan. Is Doan a fringe 2nd liner too?

Old
06-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
how about, the rangers were a better team and played superior team defence.
there is another team on the ice.

also Spezza's compete level?? complain about the results, complain that he strayed or was forced from the game that made him great this year. But GTFO calling out his 'compete level'.
the guy worked hard every game.
Ya. You're right. Spezza played as hard as Brown, Kopitar, Richards, Parise, Henrique, and Giroux did.

Spezza is one of my top 2 fav players on the team but he doesnt play a hard playoff style.

If his effort level matched Turris/Foligno in the playoffs... We win the series.

Closed Thread